PDA

View Full Version : Expected Turnout?

smhbbag
11-04-2007, 11:03 AM
I'm a bit concerned about the planning for the philly event, mainly because there's such a broad range of possible attendance numbers.

There's no question that it will be 2000+....but how much more? I know there's serious, day-and-night preparation being done by our hardworking philly folks, and I know we all are greatly thankful for that effort.

How much different must the setup be for a rally of 2,000 vs. say 8,000? I believe I've read that capacity is <5000, though I'd love to hear more solid info on that. And I"m worried if this thing blows up, in a good way, we'll have thousands of Paulies crowding the streets outside and making the city not very happy with that.

I'm completely unqualified to speak on this stuff, so if anybody in-the-know could explain that it's all ok, I'll stop worrying :)

*Oh, and I'm coming up from NC with my wife and best friend - we can't wait!

Matt Collins
11-04-2007, 11:42 AM
I do professional events for a living (I'm an audio engineer).

There are several important things when you have an event this size:

1 - Are there enough Porta-John's
2 - Is your sound system big enough to cover the crowd?
3 - Do you have an image magnification system with cameras and screens so that the people in the back can see as well as hear?
4 - Do you have proper security and fencing to keep the crowd not only in control, but routed in specific traffic patterns so that normal flow disruption is kept to a minimum?

That's just what I can think off of the top of my head.

jgmaynard
11-04-2007, 11:52 AM
I've done a lot of events and sound engineering myself, and Matt is absolutely right. You forgot one that I thought of right away though (maybe an addition to #2):

Is your sound engineer and your equipment good enough so that they know that for such a large show, the speed of sound is going to have to be taken into account when setting up the sound system? Otherwiseiwise thethe soundsound is goigoing tototo echochocho... :D

JM

Bossobass
11-04-2007, 12:03 PM
I do professional events for a living (I'm an audio engineer).

There are several important things when you have an event this size:

1 - Are there enough Porta-John's
2 - Is your sound system big enough to cover the crowd?
3 - Do you have an image magnification system with cameras and screens so that the people in the back can see as well as hear?
4 - Do you have proper security and fencing to keep the crowd not only in control, but routed in specific traffic patterns so that normal flow disruption is kept to a minimum?

That's just what I can think off of the top of my head.

Matt,

This is an excellent post, my friend. It addresses the dilemma my good friend who originally put together 3 packages for this event together.

I'm guessing that his original 'bare bones' package was only $20K more than what is planned at the moment, but things such as those you brought up as well as the height of the stage for viewing angle of the crowd as well as the media platform for viewing angle to the stage, lighting, brightness of the jumbo screen for daytime viewing, etc. are xtremely important as the crowd size increases.

I hope that the entire crowd is accomodated and every nuance of Ron's presentation is projected. I also hope that the camera crew includes multiple cameras so that a truly professional documentary video can be produced for those who can't be there and for the rest of America to see what their missing.

If the crowd size is 2K, all is well. If it's 5K or more, the whole scope of presentation and crowd accomodation is changed exponentially, as you obviously know.

Bosso

ross11988
11-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Im guessing 5,000 minimum

Beerhall Agitator
11-04-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't think this stuff is that important. We just need a platform and Ron Paul.

Matt Collins
11-04-2007, 06:41 PM
the speed of sound is going to have to be taken into account when setting up the sound system? That's always important regardless of the size of the system and crowd because the speed of sound will change pending temperature and humidity; unlike light, it's not a constant.

schvenzlerman
11-07-2007, 10:28 PM
The 5,000 estimate was as of this (Wed.) morning. The sound equipment is being put together by the band that will play prior to Dr. Paul's speech, Rocky Lynne. Please feel free to discuss the matter of acoustics with them.

0zzy
11-07-2007, 10:31 PM
If we get 7,000 people, we can say we have more people caring about Ron Paul than Global Warming! :)

Son of Freedom
11-07-2007, 10:45 PM
I have watched a lot of video of Paul's speeches, if anyone handling this at the rally reads this, please take this into account.

Please put the microphones which sync up to the live video feeds, such as Justin TV, up with Ron Paul at the podium. Justin TV (by the way, a big thanks, good job) is usually set up in the crowd and so is the audio recording device. I would love to see 6 or 7 professional mic's up there on the podium with CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, etc. logos on them. Maybe soon.

There is nothing more annoying than constantly turning up the volume to hear Ron, then having to quickly turn it down because my sound system is blowing my ears out with the crowd reaction. Yes I know, it's exciting, but that gets old.

Paul4Prez
11-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Will the campaign (or someone) be taping for broadcast quality footage, for later campaign commercials? The Independence Hall backdrop with thousands of supporters would say a lot....

Sematary
11-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Will the campaign (or someone) be taping for broadcast quality footage, for later campaign commercials? The Independence Hall backdrop with thousands of supporters would say a lot....

We are attempting to put into place a live video feed which will be broadcast through the philly rally website. Hopefully, we can get the necessary code to make that pan out. There will also be live audio feed and, if I understand correctly, there will be a documentary film maker present as well. I'm certain there will be PLENTY of quality video! :D

Matt Collins
11-08-2007, 12:44 AM
The 5,000 estimate was as of this (Wed.) morning. The sound equipment is being put together by the band that will play prior to Dr. Paul's speech, Rocky Lynne. Please feel free to discuss the matter of acoustics with them.How do you know this? Does the band know what they are doing? Do they have enough gear to cover 5000+ people?