PDA

View Full Version : FOX Poll: Do you think FEMA should be eliminated?

Bruno
08-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Shows Ron's views are becoming mainsteam enough to warrant this poll:

hxxp://www.foxnews.com/politics/index.html

Do you think FEMA should be eliminated?

Yes, all it does is allow people to make risky decisions and then bails them out 63.52%

No, we need a federal agency to coordinate responses to major natural disasters 13.81%

It's ok in a truly devastating situation, but goes too far to exert control in less severe circumstances 22.67%

lucky_bg
08-29-2011, 09:17 AM
voted

The Goat
08-29-2011, 09:22 AM
voted

VBRonPaulFan
08-29-2011, 09:27 AM
wow, overwhelmingly yes. i guess what he's saying is starting to really ring true with people :D

robertwerden
08-29-2011, 09:31 AM
voted, This is the type of poll that will change the narrative in the media. Instead of talking heads spewing opinions they now have to report the results of the people.

johnald
08-29-2011, 09:54 AM
voted

Yes, all it does is allow people to make risky decisions and then bails them out 63.3%

No, we need a federal agency to coordinate responses to major natural disasters 14.07%

It's ok in a truly devastating situation, but goes too far to exert control in less severe circumstances 22.62%

Dr.3D
08-29-2011, 09:59 AM
voted, This is the type of poll that will change the narrative in the media. Instead of talking heads spewing opinions they now have to report the results of the people.

Since when did the media report the results of a poll they disagree with?

Brett85
08-29-2011, 10:11 AM
I have to say that I don't really have a problem with the 3rd option. I don't think that the federal government should be involved in all these minor natural disasters in general. But if you have a major disaster like we did with Katrina, I think the federal government has to help people out in that, regardless of whether it's FEMA or simply sending our military down there.

civusamericanus
08-29-2011, 10:17 AM
voted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ZSDCvUwN8

Guitarzan
08-29-2011, 10:26 AM
I have to say that I don't really have a problem with the 3rd option. I don't think that the federal government should be involved in all these minor natural disasters in general. But if you have a major disaster like we did with Katrina, I think the federal government has to help people out in that, regardless of whether it's FEMA or simply sending our military down there.

The problem with this stance is that it overlooks the very nature of the bureaucracy and the tendency of human beings to relish in power. Just as with any bureaucracy, FEMA must continually justify its existence, hence, it's size, cost and power will always grow. There is no such thing as a bureaucracy that only gets involved in "minor" issues.

sratiug
08-29-2011, 10:28 AM

A federal court ruled the US government responsible for the damage in New Orleans from Katrina. Five thousand people were jailed for months with no charges. Rescuers, supplies and residents were barred from entering the city.

WilliamC
08-29-2011, 10:31 AM

The States National Guard would be sufficient for any natural disaster if they hadn't been Federalized into the Army.

Under extraordinary circumstances either the President could use executive power and the military to restore order and or Congress could pass legislation specifically to address the issue, but there is no need for a full-time Federal department like FEMA.

pcosmar
08-29-2011, 10:46 AM
The States National Guard would be sufficient for any natural disaster if they hadn't been Federalized into the Army.

Under extraordinary circumstances either the President could use executive power and the military to restore order and or Congress could pass legislation specifically to address the issue, but there is no need for a full-time Federal department like FEMA.

Agreed mostly. But a step further.
People will handle things if allowed to do so. It requires NO government interference. I have seen it in real life, several times. and have been involved personally.
When Hurricanes hit the Keys, as soon as the storm passed people began clean up, checked on neighbors and helped anyone in need.
Businesses did so as well. Government Bureaucracy (FEMA) got in the way and actually hindered aid from volunteers.

HOLLYWOOD
08-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Did anyone think of how many fatalities hurricane Irene saved?

Since barely anyone was on the road cars, cyclists, joggers, pedestrians, I'm sure fewer vehicle fatalies...
Since barely anyone was working, I'm sure fewer OTJ/Work fatalities...
Joggers, Gyms, Saunas, Sports, Swimming ... fatalities from Heartaches, head injures, drownings, etc...
Socializing in public... movies, malls, bars, parties...

I wonder what the true demographics for say Wednesday-Sunday Y-O-Y over the past 25 years would result.

Maybe Hurricane Irene saved lives> ;)\\

VOTED: Yes, all it does is allow people to make risky decisions and then bails them out: 62.7%

Ronpauljones
08-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Thank you for voting!
Yes, all it does is allow people to make risky decisions and then bails them out 62.69%

No, we need a federal agency to coordinate responses to major natural disasters 14.36%

It's ok in a truly devastating situation, but goes too far to exert control in less severe circumstances 22.95%

Napoleon's Shadow
08-29-2011, 11:20 AM
A CNN reporter is asking the same thing on her FB wall.

The responses are epic: https://www.facebook.com/notes/carol-costello-cnn/talk-back-is-fema-necessary/282230115124943

WilliamC
08-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Agreed mostly. But a step further.
People will handle things if allowed to do so. It requires NO government interference. I have seen it in real life, several times. and have been involved personally.
When Hurricanes hit the Keys, as soon as the storm passed people began clean up, checked on neighbors and helped anyone in need.
Businesses did so as well. Government Bureaucracy (FEMA) got in the way and actually hindered aid from volunteers.

The more free-market the solution the better yes.

eduardo89
08-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Voted. They'll probably reset or ignore the poll though. As conservative as fox pretends to be, they love big government.

Pericles
08-29-2011, 01:09 PM

In cases of disaster, the governor should call forth the militias from unaffected areas of the state in order to assist the population in the affected areas.

georgiaboy
08-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Was FEMA also responsible for violating the 2nd Amendment during Katrina, confiscating private citizens' arms being used for self-protection and defense of property from looters, etc.? Maybe it was just local/federal law enforcement performing this egregious act.

CaptainAmerica
08-29-2011, 01:34 PM
voted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ZSDCvUwN8 My favorite science fiction story/movie.

JackieDan
08-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Voted

Anti Federalist
08-29-2011, 01:52 PM
The State-Media Complex Loves Disaster

Posted by Lew Rockwell on August 29, 2011 10:12 AM

This morning, MSNBC was full of talk about the greatness of FEMA, the continuing dangers from the storm, how right the pols were to play it up, why—as Obama intoned—we should all still obey the local gang of thieves rather than make our own decisions, and all the damage done by past hurricanes, such as in 1938. Be afraid! Be very afraid.

BTW, this is a universal story, but when the armed and armored FEMA descended on my town after Opal, their first act was to order neighbor to stop helping neighbor, by clearing downed trees and other debris. This being the South, every guy has a chainsaw. Did FEMA do anything else? Well, they handed out welfare to the well-connected. And they ensured that federally approved contractors monopolized the work. So it was done slowly and badly.

libertybrewcity
08-29-2011, 05:08 PM
we always win!

Lucille
08-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Voted. In related news:

A Storm in a Nanny State (http://barelyablog.com/?p=41288)

Take this post to be part of the blog series, “What They Do In Dictatorships (http://barelyablog.com/?p=41209).” In a highly evolved Managerial State such as ours, where the population has been cowed into submission, storms—even—Category 1 storms—give rise to forced evacuations. Just about half the country has been terrorized, or threatened into fleeing. It’s called “leadership,” and subjects seem to appreciate being coaxed from their homes by lazy bureaucrats and oink-sector workers (http://www.ilanamercer.com/phprunner/public_article_list_view.php?editid1=516) who’d rather run themselves, than stick around and do the job taxpayers pay them to do: rescue taxpayers.

In “bad” dictatorships—Libya being the latest one the US and its allies have just voided of a dictator (http://barelyablog.com/?p=41232)—people might have been left in their homes. OMG. The horror! But not in the US, because the American Managerial State is so much more efficient in encroaching on its citizens than are these tin-pot dictators, whom we have built-up into mega-monsters in our infantile, Disneyfied minds...

I love that woman.

V4Vendetta
08-29-2011, 06:28 PM
voted

DamianTV
08-29-2011, 06:41 PM
I think FOX should be eliminated and replaced with an Unbiased News Source.