PDA

View Full Version : Creative Sign Ideas (including for the RP Sign Bomb)

Avalon
08-28-2011, 10:21 PM
We have six weeks until the sign bomb and I haven't seen much posted around here. Last cycle our signs (including sign bombs) got us a lot of name recognition, was a great show of support/enthusiasm, and got people talking about Ron Paul (whether in a good or negative light). Overpasses were frequently hit and homemade banners made perfect sense here since they were often (quickly) confiscated and not returned. My group made these homemade (reLOVEution) banners last time, following instructions that I think the phoenix group made, and they worked great, both tying them to fence and putting them on posts. I figure our group made about 80 banners last time and we got better and faster as we went and also ended up with different quality product that could be used in different places. We only had to cleanup once.

Here are my thoughts this go around:
Our primary issue is no longer name recognition. This means we don't need to plaster Ron's name everywhere and we don't have to post signs in controversial places (like highway overpasses). Our two primary issues are electability (which can be improved by grassroots visibility) and message. So I recommend issue slogans that can either fit on a large home-made banner (perhaps banners stitched together) or spread out over multiple banners/signs along the road, Burma-Shave style, followed with a Ron Paul 2012 banner/sign. The downside being that it requires making multiple stencils for signs likely to be 'one-offs' for the area. But I think this can be mitigated significantly by having groups share with one another: ideas, graphics, instructions, supplies, and even product. The point of this thread is to do what can be done at a national level (we can share physical things like stencils and product on a regional level).

At the very least, people can contribute good banner/sign slogans (from any source). Here are some old ones I've snatched (some I altered):

"The doctor will free you now" is a banner that should make people smile and hopefully associates that with him.
A similar burma-shave example might be:
"P eaceful
A mericans
U nitied for
L iberty" but that won't play well in war monger territory (I'm in rural GA).

An issue one may be "Nation Building? How about Ours First?", "Help Legalize the Constitution" or, regarding the media blackout: "The ReLOVEution will SOON be televised!"

I'm in the bible belt so I could really use ones aimed at Christian Conservatives.

the04artchitect
08-29-2011, 01:04 AM
"This Country Needs A Doctor"
Seems clever and quick enough, huh?

Fatejuggler
08-29-2011, 01:45 AM
You may already know this but there is a thread with a bunch of slogans here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?307404-Genius-sign-slogans

Here's another post with some suggestions on signage and links to some good articles on the subject:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?311986-Good-article-on-the-importance-of-signage-with-tips-on-construction

I used to be involved in doing open houses for real estate sales and I can say from experience that one of the best things you can do to get your signs noticed is to attach helium filled balloons to them. The human eye is naturally drawn towards movement, so the balloons bobbing around in the breeze are very effective in drawing attention. They also add vertical height. Grocery stores and card shops usually have them for sale, or if you're going all out you can rent a helium tank and fill them yourself. One thing to watch out for is on a very hot day they may wither and deflate in the heat.

Making signs cut out in shapes different than a plain rectangle really makes a big difference too.

Avalon
08-29-2011, 08:21 AM
So are any of your groups doing/planning this kind of stuff (whether for Oct 10 or not)?

AshleyB
08-31-2011, 09:55 AM
I have a group of about 20 gearing up for the Sign Bomb in our area! And I have a couple more ideas for one liners:

Ron Paul, his ONLY "special interest" is the Constitution.

Governor from Texas running for President? Because it worked out so well last time! Ron Paul 2012!

Freedom OF religion = Freedom FROM religion! Separation of Church and State!

AshleyB
08-31-2011, 09:58 AM
And another idea in the realm of sign shapes: anything that mentions "doctor" like "The Doctor will FREE you now" could be put on a piece of cardboard or light wood in the shape of a syringe or pill bottle. And who ever might be waving it could be in scrubs or a lab coat with a stethoscope. I might be pushing it with costumes, but I think it would help catch people's eye. :)

Avalon
08-31-2011, 10:27 AM
This is what I'm talking about:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?312493-Ron-Paul-2012-Stencil!
Let's work together and win this thing!
Here's what some of our final product looked like last time:
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2733/40/60/543137192/n543137192_2334995_2035635.jpg?dl=1

Avalon
08-31-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys! Ashley, I did the scrubs costume last time cycle for a (one man) sign wave. It worked well because people wanted to know what the heck I was picketing: people would go out of their way to read my sign. So I think that's all you need, while others going plain jane may want a more unique sign. That said, if you hit them at a busy intersection they're going to be reading your signs while they're stopped (and most people will put their window down to receive a slim jim you offer).

Be careful with the Freedom From Religion sign; I doubt many of the religious right will like that one.