PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a degree?

realtonygoodwin
08-28-2011, 09:02 PM
I am 3 classes (CLEPS!) away from getting my Associate's in Intelligence Studies from the Community College of the Air Force. Once I get that, I plan to get my Bachelor's in Legal Studies from Brandman University. Maybe take my LSAT and get a law degree after that, I dunno.

I was wondering what degrees other Ron Paul supporters have, and from where? I know Tom Woods has several, including from Harvard. How about you?

Anti Federalist
08-28-2011, 09:04 PM
HS drop out here, just been making my way in the world since I was 16.

Fortunately, I have never let schooling stand in the way of my education.

GunnyFreedom
08-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Autodidact with a few college courses for few things that were difficult to apprehend on my own. No degree whatsoever.

Son of Detroit
08-28-2011, 09:06 PM
In 4 years I'll hopefully have a degree in Poli Sci/Economics from the University of Michigan.

pcosmar
08-28-2011, 09:08 PM
unrecognized accreditation

Gladiator School, survived.

Crowbar College
Masters in Survival

7 years living and traveling on an alias and reaching my 54th birthday should give me a Doctorate.

DamianTV
08-28-2011, 09:20 PM
BA Degree from US Military in Avionics (Aviation Electronics). Education didnt stop there. Self educated Programmer, and just because I didnt pay an assload of money to someone to give me an important looking piece of paper doesnt mean that I dont know what the hell Im talking about. However, since there are very few technology jobs around here, career transitioned yet again to Cinematography, mostly so I can get the hell out of this jobless area. The county I live in has one of the highest unemployment rates in the Nation, and Nevada has the highest unemployment rate in the country, period. I still think its time to let what I've learned or am learning to help me get the hell out of Dodge before it gets really bad.

heavenlyboy34
08-28-2011, 09:30 PM
My only "official" paper is a CCL in computer graphic design. I have the equivalent of a music minor, but don't technically have one because I did the work at community college and only half of the credits were transferrable to university. I'm mostly an auto-didact. I thought about getting a BA in Russian, but it's overpriced and not really worth it. I took the work-around and did my formal Russian studies at Arizona Language Institute. I skipped over all the entry level work and went right into advanced classes because I had taught it to myself already. Now I'm just working toward perfect fluency because my teacher ran out of stuff to teach me. Most of the time, if I want to know something, I research it and learn it myself.

heavenlyboy34
08-28-2011, 09:31 PM
unrecognized accreditation

Gladiator School, survived.

Crowbar College
Masters in Survival

7 years living and traveling on an alias and reaching my 54th birthday should give me a Doctorate.
Impressive. You've been in the University of Hard Knocks a lot longer than I. :cool:

MikeStanart
08-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Texas A&M - Bachelor of Science in Political Science

BS in Political Science (lol)

Danke
08-28-2011, 10:34 PM
BS in Women Studies. D- average.

specsaregood
08-28-2011, 10:43 PM

PineGroveDave
08-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Bachelors in Computer Science.

Philhelm
08-28-2011, 10:45 PM
I started out in Computer Science, but ended up with a BA in History. I had intended to teach at one point, and had thought of either going to grad school or getting a certificate in education. I'm currently in a paralegal certification program.

CaptainAmerica
08-28-2011, 10:45 PM
I can't afford a degree.I can afford learning though.

specsaregood
08-28-2011, 10:50 PM
I can't afford a degree.I can afford learning though.

Yeah, I went for my degrees for the fun of it and to get laid; AFTER I had made my money/career.

TCE
08-28-2011, 10:50 PM
I am on the final year of a double major, History and Political Science. Where will that get me? Well, for one, I can post on this thread that I have two degrees and I have something nice to frame and put on my wall.

low preference guy
08-28-2011, 10:51 PM
I am on the final year of a double major, History and Political Science. Where will that get me? Well, for one, I can post on this thread that I have two degrees and I have something nice to frame and put on my wall.

Tom Woods made history cool.

CaptainAmerica
08-28-2011, 10:53 PM
I am on the final year of a double major, History and Political Science. Where will that get me? Well, for one, I can post on this thread that I have two degrees and I have something nice to frame and put on my wall. Political science degrees are the lowest of low degrees as far as getting anything. I know a girl who did nonstop partying and drugs and got one of those degrees just because she showed up to class.

low preference guy
08-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Political science degrees are the lowest of low degrees as far as getting anything. I know a girl who did nonstop partying and drugs and got one of those degrees just because she showed up to class.

i think it depends on the college

CaptainAmerica
08-28-2011, 10:55 PM
i think it depends on the college asu

bkreigh
08-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Was in college for 3 semesters. Flunking out was the best thing that ever happened to me.

TCE
08-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Tom Woods made history cool.

Tom Woods and Dr. Paul along with RPF is part of the reason I got so excited about history, even though I was already pretty engrossed beforehand. I read scholarly history papers and such for fun because I find it fascinating that there are literally hundreds of different views on every single event in history. The public school system should be ashamed promoting the fallacy that there is only one "correct" history and there is no need to dig any deeper.

TCE
08-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Political science degrees are the lowest of low degrees as far as getting anything. I know a girl who did nonstop partying and drugs and got one of those degrees just because she showed up to class.

I'm getting straight A's, whatever that's worth. Seriously, though, my school had a path one could take to get two degrees for the price of one as long as I forfeited all of my electives and replaced them with Political Science courses. Now I am getting two degrees in three years with a minor, hopefully, and I will do it with virtually no debt.

You are correct on the whole. Political Science degrees are stepping stones to bigger degrees, on their own, they are virtually worthless.

Blueskies
08-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Two degrees from a top 30 university

CaptainAmerica
08-28-2011, 11:04 PM
I'm getting straight A's, whatever that's worth. Seriously, though, my school had a path one could take to get two degrees for the price of one as long as I forfeited all of my electives and replaced them with Political Science courses. Now I am getting two degrees in three years with a minor, hopefully, and I will do it with virtually no debt.

You are correct on the whole. Political Science degrees are stepping stones to bigger degrees, on their own, they are virtually worthless.My best friend was getting straight A's ,attended ASU and was 1 semester away from obtaining a degree in Political Science and something else but the state fined him 15,000 dollars for something relating to carbon monoxide output of his vehicle and it not being registered. Anyhow, my friend ended up not graduating,in debt and began working at a restaurant as a waiter. He began pulling in more money and less work than people who have degrees and now he is a trainer at a top notch restaurant and still moving up.He told me "you know dude, degrees really are bullshit I've come to realize its a waste of money in most fields"

libertybrewcity
08-28-2011, 11:05 PM
will graduate soon with a neuroscience BS. applying to med schools in Tminus 1 year!!!!!!YAYAYAYAY

CaptainAmerica
08-28-2011, 11:07 PM
will graduate soon with a neuroscience BS. applying to med schools in Tminus 1 year!!!!!!YAYAYAYAY College really is more for lawyers,or doctors. Anything else really doesn't do much. I actually intend to go to a trade school just to learn welding and get as good at it as possible..already know basics and I only intend to go to school to learn just because they may have expensive tools I don't have access to learn with beyond arch welders and acetylene torches.Welding is in high demand.

heavenlyboy34
08-28-2011, 11:15 PM
College really is more for lawyers,or doctors. Anything else really doesn't do much. I actually intend to go to a trade school just to learn welding and get as good at it as possible..already know basics and I only intend to go to school to learn just because they may have expensive tools I don't have access to learn with beyond arch welders and acetylene torches.Welding is in high demand.
Welding is a great skill to learn! It will always be in demand. Once you learn oxy-acetylene, TIG is easy. Stick welding is even easier than both. MIG/wire-fed is a little hard, but I never got to practice much. I always thought cutting torches are fun, too. :) Remember never to look at the arc when you're doing arc welding, bro. ;)

foofighter20x
08-28-2011, 11:18 PM
2 BSc's (Economics, Poli.Sci.) and an AAS in Meteorology.

TruckinMike
08-28-2011, 11:21 PM
BS in Truckin' from TMikes school O' Truckin'

Proof of education:

I can set the valve clearance and injector height on a series 60 Detroit diesel engine blindfolded (did it once on a bet).

TruckinMike:D

Tod
08-28-2011, 11:22 PM
In 4 years I'll hopefully have a degree in Poli Sci/Economics from the University of Michigan.

BS NA&ME, '85, Univ of Mich here.

guitarlifter
08-29-2011, 12:08 AM
BS in Exercise Science, baby! *flexes muscles* I'm about to actually head into seminary this fall though. I still may go back and get my masters in exercise physiology someday, but I'm planning on getting a MDiv as they call it.

CaptainAmerica
08-29-2011, 12:23 AM
bs in exercise science, baby! *flexes muscles* i'm about to actually head into seminary this fall though. I still may go back and get my masters in exercise physiology someday, but i'm planning on getting a mdiv as they call it. lmao

UWDude
08-29-2011, 01:06 AM
BA history, UW

Kregisen
08-29-2011, 01:46 AM

i think it depends on the college

asu

My best friend was getting straight A's ,attended ASU and was 1 semester away from obtaining a degree in Political Science and something else but the state fined him 15,000 dollars for something relating to carbon monoxide output of his vehicle and it not being registered. Anyhow, my friend ended up not graduating,in debt and began working at a restaurant as a waiter. He began pulling in more money and less work than people who have degrees and now he is a trainer at a top notch restaurant and still moving up.He told me "you know dude, degrees really are bullshit I've come to realize its a waste of money in most fields"

lol of course they went to ASU. (95% acceptance rate beotch!).

One of my friends (he's actually a member on this forum) also has a poli-sci degree from ASU.

---------------

I'm halfway done with a BS in Finance, BS in Supply Chain Management, minor in Economics, and Certificate in International Business at ASU.

CaptainAmerica
08-29-2011, 01:54 AM
lol of course they went to ASU. (95% acceptance rate beotch!).

One of my friends (he's actually a member on this forum) also has a poli-sci degree from ASU.

---------------

I'm halfway done with a BS in Finance, BS in Supply Chain Management, minor in Economics, and Certificate in International Business at ASU. ASU makes bank on ripping students off as well as misusing taxes

KCIndy
08-29-2011, 02:02 AM
BS in Truckin' from TMikes school O' Truckin'

Proof of education:

I can set the valve clearance and injector height on a series 60 Detroit diesel engine blindfolded (did it once on a bet).

TruckinMike:D

I tip my (Ron Paul 2012) hat to you, sir! I just drive 'em. I've never presumed to try to tinker with 'em that much! :D

bunklocoempire
08-29-2011, 02:48 AM
HS drop out here, just been making my way in the world since I was 16.

Fortunately, I have never let schooling stand in the way of my education.

My thinking exactly.

There are letters behind one's name to jump through the hoops and satisfy an imaginary requirement, and then there is education. In all fairness, sometimes education does occur when satisfying the hoops -but plenty of times it doesn't.

No degree here.

I do have a high school diploma. (jumped through that hoop)

But most importantly, I can read, a skill taught to me first and foremost by my parental units.:)

I do enjoy a specific instructional class here and there, and view it as quite a luxury.

Bunkloco

BamaAla
08-29-2011, 03:05 AM

Sure thing buddy.

BA political Science and History from the University of Alabama. Top 1.5% of earners for smarty pants above.

RonPaulFever
08-29-2011, 03:15 AM
Just got my AA in Liberal Arts over the summer. At the end of this fall I'll have a BA in Criminal Justice.

Bordillo
08-29-2011, 03:18 AM
B.S. in Economics from the Pennsylvania State University

brandon
08-29-2011, 05:47 AM
HS drop out but I have accumulated a few degrees.

AS Liberal Studies
AS Engineering
BS Electrical Engineering

I'm reasonable happy with my degrees because they have led to pretty interesting work and decent money, though sometimes I can't fucking stand sitting at a computer all day and wish I was doing something that involved interacting with people. If I could do it over again I not drop out of highschool and would go to med school.

jt8025
08-29-2011, 05:55 AM
B.S. Applied Physics (AASU)
B.S. Applied Math (AASU)
B.S. Electrical Engineering (Georgia Tech)

fisharmor
08-29-2011, 06:08 AM
AS in IT.

though sometimes I can't fucking stand sitting at a computer all day and wish I was doing something that involved interacting with people.

Oh, there are plenty of jobs for interacting with people. After 10 years in IT work, I can tell you that there are developers coming out of the woodwork, but none of them can talk to customers. That scene from Office Space - "I deal with the god-damned customers! I have people skills! What the hell is wrong with you people!" Every company needs guys in positions like that, badly, and none of them are hiring them. And no school is teaching it, either.

I'm in pretty good with management (some of whom are also unschooled), but if I ever did get the axe, I'd pick up the phone and start calling customers I know, and I'd have a job in less than a week. Since I have the associates, the stuff I didn't get is the deep black magic - I got all the bullshit "rounding-you-out" courses, and none of them went over developing personal systems for returning calls, phone etiquette, follow-through, and due diligence.
Technical writing? I know how to write good driving directions now. Had to figure out how to document program bugs effectively on the job.
Conducting interviews? Nothing.
Training new hires? Nothing.
Presenting new software features to 100 customers in a room? Nothing.

axiomata
08-29-2011, 06:16 AM
I have 3 fancy pieces of paper.

Justinjj1
08-29-2011, 06:34 AM
Bachelors degree in history and a minor in political science from Texas A&M. Currently a laid off high school teacher.

I wish I would have majored in something useful.

axiomata
08-29-2011, 07:07 AM
BA history, UWI've always wondered with you ... Wisconsin, Washington or other.

jonhowe
08-29-2011, 07:35 AM
Just finished a degree in "International Business" and "Economics" at Hofstra University.

Like most colleges, you can go there to goof off or you can go there to learn. I learned, and goofed off on the side. I feel that the investment was well worth it, as I met some of the smartest people I've ever known there. I also had a huge scholarship, so that lessens the financial burden.

zerosdontcount
08-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Working on my BBA in Computer Information Systems

BamaAla
08-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Bachelors degree in history and a minor in political science from Texas A&M. Currently a laid off high school teacher.

I wish I would have majored in something useful.

Do you coach? I always figured that was the path for history teachers.

mtmedlin
08-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Degree in Business Administration
Bachelors in Political Science concentration in Public Adminstration -University of South Florida (not a crap degree when its from a Tier 1 research institute)
Masters in Curriculum and Instruction - University of South Florida

and I was just invited to do PhD work in education planning/curriculum for Cognitive and emotional disability students with above above average IQ. Probably not going to do it because I would rather get a PHD or a second Masters in Educational Public policy or campaign management.

Brown Sapper
08-29-2011, 08:39 AM
1 year away from getting a B.S. Chemistry. Too bad the gubmint is trying to send me to Afghanistan in the same year:(

AdamT
08-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Marketing-Communications.

AZKing
08-29-2011, 08:49 AM
AAS in Network Technology (Linux/Cisco sys admin)

It was worth it. Associates are easy, do provide some useful training, and don't cost much.

WilliamC
08-29-2011, 08:54 AM
I've got too much damn schooling for my own good but I'm still thinking to get me some more.

Even though I'm already a scientist by training and experience I just can't get over this irrational desire to be a mathematician instead.

Too much politics in science these days anyway, heh.

brandon
08-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Even though I'm already a scientist by training and experience I just can't get over this irrational desire to be a mathematician instead.

I have this problem too. I decided to become an engineer instead of a mathematician due mainly to financial considerations. I regret it often and wonder what could have been if I really followed my passion. I could be a successful professor at a university right now. Or I could be an unemployed PhD with a bunch of debt. I don't know but I think about it a lot.

Anti Federalist
08-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Welding is a great skill to learn! It will always be in demand. Once you learn oxy-acetylene, TIG is easy. Stick welding is even easier than both. MIG/wire-fed is a little hard, but I never got to practice much. I always thought cutting torches are fun, too. :) Remember never to look at the arc when you're doing arc welding, bro. ;)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to heavenlyboy34 again.

heavenlyboy34
08-29-2011, 10:45 AM
ASU makes bank on ripping students off as well as misusing taxes
True, but just about every university makes bank ripping students off (especially at the bookstore).

yatez112
08-29-2011, 10:45 AM
BA, Int'l Economics & Spanish, U of Kentucky
MA, Applied Economics, U of Cincinnati

Anti Federalist
08-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Parental units made me LoL.

Original SNL FTW.

I did take and pass the GED exam on the way out the door.

In 30 years I have never had anybody ask to see it.

My thinking exactly.

There are letters behind one's name to jump through the hoops and satisfy an imaginary requirement, and then there is education. In all fairness, sometimes education does occur when satisfying the hoops -but plenty of times it doesn't.

No degree here.

I do have a high school diploma. (jumped through that hoop)

But most importantly, I can read, a skill taught to me first and foremost by my parental units.:)

I do enjoy a specific instructional class here and there, and view it as quite a luxury.

Bunkloco

madengr
08-29-2011, 10:51 AM
MS in Electrical Engineering

8ClicksPerSecond
08-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Working on a BA in Poli Sci and hoping to go to Law School after.

PastaRocket848
08-29-2011, 11:03 AM
i didn't go to school for anything. i've been a computer nerd since the BBS days, and it paid off. zero college debt, i.t. job at 18 yrs old. i've since gained even more experience and am immediately employable just about anywhere, in either i.t., web/software dev, or solid modelling (i have about 4-5 years advanced solidworks under my belt as well). my current job isn't the best pay in the world but i get to use all 3 of my specialties and i work for friends. i wouldnt have it any other way.

oh yeah... it's all been straight profit. zero college debt/expense. i see no purpose in paying for a piece of paper in the days of iTunes U and the internet. you can learn anything you want and if you're good at it people will hire you.

college is a very, very bad value proposition for certain fields. anything related to a computer is certainly one of them.

Brian4Liberty
08-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Master's Program dropout. Decided the time was better spent making money. IMHO, Master's programs are the ultimate way to waste time without really learning anything new.

Aden
08-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Seriously, though, my school had a path one could take to get two degrees for the price of one as long as I forfeited all of my electives and replaced them with Political Science courses. Now I am getting two degrees in three years with a minor, hopefully, and I will do it with virtually no debt.

A double-major is not two degrees. A double-major is simply one BA or BS in two majors.

A typical BA requires 120 credits, with 30 in your major. So if you have 30 in history you have a BA in history. A double-major requires 120 credits, 30 in each major. So if you have 30 in history and 30 in political science, you have a BA in history and political science. Either of these routes will give you one piece of paper.

Two degrees is a different animal. To get two degrees from one school, a typical college requires an additional 30 credits. This means you need 150 credits not 120 (which is better than needing 240). So if you have taken 150 credits, 30 of which are in history and 30 of which are in political science, you have degrees in history and political science. This will give you two pieces of paper.

Zippyjuan
08-29-2011, 11:45 AM
I was two elective classes (six credits unrelated to the degree program itself) from having two separate degrees-which I decided was not worth paying for another semester of school so I too have two majors (full majors- not a minor)- Economics and Political Science.

Eleutheros
08-29-2011, 12:21 PM
MBA from Franklin University (a private business college formerly called the YMCA School of Commerce)
Bachelor of General Studies from Capital University (a private Lutheran university)
Associate of Arts, Columbus State Community College

Believe it or not, I planned to stop after I got the Associates Degree, I announced it in front of my church during a student graduation ceremony, and the congregation almost had a collective heart attack. Later on a little girl about 9-10 years old pulled me aside and told me to get a bachelors because she had a grandfather who didn't get his and always regretted it. So to avoid risking coming off as an arrogant jackass and making a fool out of the little girl who was just speaking her heart, I pursued the Bachelors.

The MBA I got after I met some men with PhDs at a bookstore promoting a book about men in higher education which inspired me to go back to school and get even more education.

In a nutshell, if I had a better life plan at the outset, the Associates would've been all I needed.

NewRightLibertarian
08-29-2011, 12:29 PM
I graduate in December with a degree in Humanities.

FSP-Rebel
08-29-2011, 01:16 PM
BA in criminal justice, not much hiring going on in local law enforcement but I am ten months into the hiring process for homeland security. If I choose not to go that route I'm thinking of going to officer training for the air force or perhaps the navy.

CaptainAmerica
08-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Master's Program dropout. Decided the time was better spent making money. IMHO, Master's programs are the ultimate way to waste time without really learning anything new. Unless its a masters in nun chucks

Pericles
08-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Texas A&M BA in Philosophy and History (double major) then went to MBA school. Then sat on my ass in mud, snow, and dust in the Army, thinking "I went to graduate school for this?"

MelissaWV
08-29-2011, 01:58 PM
No.

ClayTrainor
08-29-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm a college drop-out.

Acala
08-29-2011, 02:24 PM
BA in psych -> digging ditches for Manpower

back to school

BA in chemistry -> working in a medical lab

better, but got laid off so back to school

law school -> been working as an attorney ever since. Most uncreative, tedious, unhelpful job imaginable.

I would trade all the time, money, and three degrees for a chance to start over as a welder or woodworker.

heavenlyboy34
08-29-2011, 03:00 PM
BA in psych -> digging ditches for Manpower

back to school

BA in chemistry -> working in a medical lab

better, but got laid off so back to school

law school -> been working as an attorney ever since. Most uncreative, tedious, unhelpful job imaginable.

I would trade all the time, money, and three degrees for a chance to start over as a welder or woodworker.
You're in luck! I'm putting together an article on how to get into welding (I used to be a welder), which will be published on RPFs ASAP.

Acala
08-29-2011, 03:05 PM
You're in luck! I'm putting together an article on how to get into welding (I used to be a welder), which will be published on RPFs ASAP.

Excellent!

Dreamofunity
08-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Currently going for a BA with dual majors of Economics and Philosophy.

OrigSEOH
08-29-2011, 04:05 PM
lol, I'm a out of work woodworker of 15 years that knows how to weld, yet I just got a associates in network system administration and finishing my BA in computer information systems.

Acala
08-29-2011, 04:08 PM
lol, I'm a out of work woodworker of 15 years that knows how to weld, yet I just got a associates in network system administration and finishing my BA in computer information systems.

I thought welding was in continuous demand?

OrigSEOH
08-29-2011, 04:16 PM
I had one job offer in 15 years for a welding position. Probably applied to 20 or so positions over the years. Seems as though skilled labor positions around here in Central Ohio is very competitive. I haven't looked at the market recently for welders; however, I wouldn't mind exploring programming robotic welders. I'm ready to set at a terminal for a while, construction is tough on the human body over time.
I thought welding was in continuous demand?

The Binghamton Patriot
08-29-2011, 04:23 PM
BS Finance, Roger Williams University
MBA Financial Economics Binghamton University

Advice: Don't go to college unless you leave school with less debt than what you will make in your first year working.

rolle
08-29-2011, 05:14 PM
BS in Biology. Starting med school next summer. Currently working as a medical research associate.

libertybrewcity
08-29-2011, 05:26 PM
BS in Biology. Starting med school next summer. Currently working as a medical research associate.

never heard of a med program starting in the summer...cool though. where did you apply to?

libertarian4321
08-29-2011, 06:21 PM
College really is more for lawyers,or doctors. Anything else really doesn't do much.

There are a lot of other fields where a degree is absolutely required- engineering, nursing, teaching (including college), etc.

Many others may not have an absolute requirement for a degree, but you have nearly a 0% chance to get a job if you don't have one- for example, you don't need a degree to be a stock broker, but good luck getting sponsored for your series 7 license if you don't have one.

In reply to the thread starter, I have 2 engineering degrees and an MBA.

AFPVet
08-29-2011, 06:28 PM
BGS in General Studies with an emphasis on public policy, communication, and music.

UWDude
08-29-2011, 06:33 PM
i didn't go to school for anything. i've been a computer nerd since the BBS days, and it paid off. zero college debt, i.t. job at 18 yrs old. i've since gained even more experience and am immediately employable just about anywhere, in either i.t., web/software dev, or solid modelling (i have about 4-5 years advanced solidworks under my belt as well). my current job isn't the best pay in the world but i get to use all 3 of my specialties and i work for friends. i wouldnt have it any other way.

oh yeah... it's all been straight profit. zero college debt/expense. i see no purpose in paying for a piece of paper in the days of iTunes U and the internet. you can learn anything you want and if you're good at it people will hire you.

college is a very, very bad value proposition for certain fields. anything related to a computer is certainly one of them.

college is not a bad proposition if you just want to learn more. I just saw it as a vacation from a lifetime of work, with teh chance for a better job at the end. My job is unrelated to degree, and only slightly better than the job I had 4 years ago. But no biggie. I enjoyed college, because it was history, so no regrets.

UWDude
08-29-2011, 06:43 PM
I've always wondered with you ... Wisconsin, Washington or other.

I'm in Seattle. Im actually not big into my alma matter and all that. University of Washington. I sure do not speak for it though.. ;) Like i was explaining to someone else, most of the professors are quite convinced of the American fairy tale when it comes to politics and democracy. A few of them are radical, but they are like leftist/feminist full bore radical, (who I prefer over vanilla professors, honestly). My friend and I put together a list of professors we thought were "awake", but only had 1, and that was a "maybe". Of course, as a professor, you have to be careful about what you say. I have met and talked with a semi-retired professor from the otehr UW, UW Madison, McCoy, (can't recall his first name). He does some of the most damning research on America, its intelligence apparatus, and during a speech he gave at the UWashington, he gave a speech on American intelligence, and said a bombing at UWisonson had an agent provocateur.

I would love to be a history professor one day, and am working on getting in grad school.

but I do hate writing historical papers, and reading them is starting to annoy me now too, because so many of them have the same exact academic cadence.

Simple
08-29-2011, 06:59 PM
I should be graduating in May with a BS in Applied Geographic Science. I'm hoping to be able to make some maps for the Ron Paul Campaign or some like minded organization when I graduate =)

I also have an AS and a CDL.

eduardo89
08-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Bachelors in Business Administation
Bsc. Politics & International Relations

Hopefully get a Masters in Public Policy and a law degree

mac_hine
08-29-2011, 07:20 PM
True, but just about every university makes bank ripping students off (especially at the bookstore).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqQjH_tblWY

They stick you on the books
They stick you on parking
they stick you huge on tuition
and they stick you on its relation to the job market.

eduardo89
08-29-2011, 07:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE&feature=pyv&ad=6739540474&kw=conspiracy

And yet I have two undergrad degrees and I'm going for my masters....

zerosdontcount
08-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Can't trust the NIA... A college education isn't necessarily a scam, just a rip off. My college education is affordable and enjoyable.

Napolitanic Wars
08-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Senior year.

madengr
08-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Master's Program dropout. Decided the time was better spent making money. IMHO, Master's programs are the ultimate way to waste time without really learning anything new.

Probably depends on your major. I learned a lot. It's a way to focus on a specialty. Besides, grad school in engineering or hard science is practically free anyway if you are an RA or TA. Then again, that was 17 years ago for me.

QueenB4Liberty
08-29-2011, 07:38 PM
I have a BA in Criminology from St. Edward's University. And a Paralegal Certificate. I'm thinking of going back and getting my masters in Clinical Psychology or some sort of Psychology.

JacksonianBME
08-29-2011, 07:43 PM
BS in Biomedical Engineering from Purdue.

Corydoras
08-29-2011, 07:47 PM
MA in philosophy.

MadHermit
08-29-2011, 07:47 PM
BS in Computer and Mathematical Sciences.

Mr Tansill
08-29-2011, 08:07 PM
B.S. - Mechanical Engineering.

Kregisen
08-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Sure thing buddy.

BA political Science and History from the University of Alabama. Top 1.5% of earners for smarty pants above.

Wow! What do you do? Is it related to your majors?

Kregisen
08-29-2011, 08:12 PM
A double-major is not two degrees. A double-major is simply one BA or BS in two majors.

A typical BA requires 120 credits, with 30 in your major. So if you have 30 in history you have a BA in history. A double-major requires 120 credits, 30 in each major. So if you have 30 in history and 30 in political science, you have a BA in history and political science. Either of these routes will give you one piece of paper.

Two degrees is a different animal. To get two degrees from one school, a typical college requires an additional 30 credits. This means you need 150 credits not 120 (which is better than needing 240). So if you have taken 150 credits, 30 of which are in history and 30 of which are in political science, you have degrees in history and political science. This will give you two pieces of paper.

Wow...I never knew this and I'm double majoring. I feel stupid.

thehungarian
08-29-2011, 08:57 PM
I've tried twice to get a degree after highschool, but it was just unbearable. I am now an unemployed 26 year old with no money.

CaliforniaMom
08-29-2011, 09:02 PM
I have a bachelor's degree and I'm about halfway done with getting my Master's degree.

AFPVet
08-29-2011, 09:05 PM

Don't... a double (or more) major is just as good. Most of the additional credits needed for two degrees v. double major are useless. Why have two undergrad degrees when a double major will work just as well. Likewise, why wouldn't you get a graduate degree instead of another undergrad?

Kregisen
08-30-2011, 02:24 AM
Don't... a double (or more) major is just as good. Most of the additional credits needed for two degrees v. double major are useless. Why have two undergrad degrees when a double major will work just as well. Likewise, why wouldn't you get a graduate degree instead of another undergrad?

Well I'm on track to finish with 2 majors, a minor and a certificate in the normal 4 years...I was able to get a little bit of stuff transferred and I've double and triple dipped classes. I've thought about grad school but I don't think I'm gonna need it.

wgadget
08-30-2011, 07:20 AM
My Bachelor's Degree is in Music Performance (piano). And I'm a professional musician. 'Magine that. :D

Aden
08-30-2011, 10:19 AM

Many people don't know. I bet even TCE, who I was replying to, is only going double-major not two degrees. At my school two degrees (150 credits) is called "dual-degree."

All of this talk we're having is just further proof of the education bubble. Because everyone and their brother has an undergrad degree, and cum laude are a dime a dozen, people are going to greater lengths to set themselves apart from the pack. That is why everyone double-majors (I've even met triple-majors), a few get dual-degrees, and many more are going on to get a masters which is basically becoming the new bachelors.

TCE
08-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Many people don't know. I bet even TCE, who I was replying to, is only going double-major not two degrees. At my school two degrees (150 credits) is called "dual-degree."

All of this talk we're having is just further proof of the education bubble. Because everyone and their brother has an undergrad degree, and cum laude are a dime a dozen, people are going to greater lengths to set themselves apart from the pack. That is why everyone double-majors (I've even met triple-majors), a few get dual-degrees, and many more are going on to get a masters which is basically becoming the new bachelors.

You are, of course, correct. It is not two physical degrees, but two majors in the same amount of time as a normal, one major, degree. I actually had that confused myself. As you stated, there is really no point in spending an extra year to get the second sheet of paper, rather, it essentially acts as two degrees when applying to Grad school, getting a job, etc. I can't think of any employer who is going to reject someone because they have two majors instead of two degrees. For all intents and purposes, a Master's is essentially a Bachelor's now.

JJonesMBA
08-30-2011, 04:57 PM
BSME, Mechanical Engineer - University of Texas, (Austin) 2002
MBA, Strategy & Innovation - Hult International Business School, (London, Shanghai, & Dubai) 2010
żJD/Ph.D, Comparative Law, Philosophy & Culture? - TBD 20xx

Bern
08-30-2011, 05:05 PM
BA Comp Sci - University of Texas (Austin)

Maximus
08-30-2011, 05:09 PM
BA in Religious Studies from SDSU, home of the Aztecs

LibForestPaul
08-30-2011, 06:09 PM
College really is more for lawyers,or doctors. Anything else really doesn't do much. I actually intend to go to a trade school just to learn welding and get as good at it as possible..already know basics and I only intend to go to school to learn just because they may have expensive tools I don't have access to learn with beyond arch welders and acetylene torches.Welding is in high demand.

Have you looked into underwater welding ... big $$$, but scary as hell from what I have heard.

LibForestPaul
08-30-2011, 06:21 PM
BA Degree from US Military in Avionics (Aviation Electronics). Education didnt stop there. Self educated Programmer, and just because I didnt pay an assload of money to someone to give me an important looking piece of paper doesnt mean that I dont know what the hell Im talking about. However, since there are very few technology jobs around here, career transitioned yet again to Cinematography, mostly so I can get the hell out of this jobless area. The county I live in has one of the highest unemployment rates in the Nation, and Nevada has the highest unemployment rate in the country, period. I still think its time to let what I've learned or am learning to help me get the hell out of Dodge before it gets really bad.

B.S. Comp Sci...
State Univ ... inexpensive, well worth it (fixed most deficiencies from public hs) , but I this was due to the electives I chose.

How was it like transitioning? What set you going? and how, if not univ training in Cinema...? Yes tech is dying like engineering.

heavenlyboy34
08-30-2011, 07:19 PM
This guy has a degree in communication (believe it or not):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMgyi57s-A4&feature=player_embedded

OrigSEOH
08-30-2011, 07:45 PM
lol how ironic, I conversed with another girl in my communications class used this guy for a critique and I replied with some Alica Healey. Well if anything with going to school online I try to bring the liberty movement into the conversations just like this week we are talking the SOX act, lots of believers in it, sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6OCg1UuakA

This guy has a degree in communication (believe it or not):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMgyi57s-A4&feature=player_embedded

Harald
08-30-2011, 11:44 PM
M.S. In Applied Mathematics
M.S. In Computer Science

Revolution9
08-31-2011, 06:13 AM
Skipped most high school classes to hit the library as I knew most of the work the teachers taught. I read very single Readers Digest between 47 and 72, the entire science section and then dropped out in grade 11 (Canadian) due to idiotic home life, lived with a bike gang for a while and then joined the CAF. I had at that time the highest ever score on the non-com aptitude tests. I chose Medical Assistant from 97 trades because I wouldn't have to kill anybody and they promised me I would be in a lab in a few years. The army was not my cup of tea. I did not like morons yelling at me. I went into civilian medicine for a while till I was told to not talk to a patient and she died two days later. I quit and went into art and entertainment. I have accomplished quite a bit in these two fields and covered most bases. I am specialized in 3D, game engines and cinematic composition, which covers all the art bases. There is no point in anybody going to University for this. The best thing to do is get the latest software, make yourself a hard project that utilizes all your skills and lear the ins and outs of the app that way. Your learning project becomes a portfolio piece.

Most professions can be learned on the fly and by immersion in the materials. The engineering, hard sciences and medical/dental fields are really the only ones requiring a degree. The rest can be learned from books, tutorials and hands on work.

Best
Rev9

DamianTV
08-31-2011, 07:26 AM
B.S. Comp Sci...
State Univ ... inexpensive, well worth it (fixed most deficiencies from public hs) , but I this was due to the electives I chose.

How was it like transitioning? What set you going? and how, if not univ training in Cinema...? Yes tech is dying like engineering.

I actually think the transition has been a breathe of fresh air. Its like the jobs become stagnant, and dont always lead to better things. Sometimes they do. Like going from Broadcast into an Internet Service Provider, the Broadcast job had this really shitty schedule so I ended up spending a lot of time at home on my computer, started playing with servers enough that it got me the job in the Internet Service. Of course the Military taught me certain things about electronics that I was able to transition from Radar based technology to Broadcast. Cant say I miss either the Military or Broadcast, I do miss the Internet Service. Cinema is definitely a change of pace. Every single day is totally different, unlike the repititon of the previous three. Previous film had some A Name actors (yeah, big whoop /sigh) like Dakota Fanning (I didnt even know who the hell she was until a month into filming) and Emile Hirsch. No trailers for that flick are out yet, its still in post production.

The sad thing is that not a single one of those jobs produced anything that was actually useful. Broadcasting was the worst of it tho, and I tried my damnedest to influence the MSM from the inside, but what I ended up with was being locked inside a cage for 60+ hours a week on a schedule that I couldnt see anyone either at work or off work. Avionic Repair ended up being useless also because most electronic parts are just replaced, not repaired. Computer technology like from the ISP is turning into a handful of super companies that do everything overseas.

What got me going? Military: They stab you in the back every chance they get. Broadcast: No opportunity for advancement / total isolation. ISP: Went out of business. The thing is, not one of those jobs actually taught me anything useful. I cant fix a car, I cant fix a TV (components too complex and parts way way way way way too small), I can fix most computers, but there are so many people that just buy new computers when their old computers get infected with viruses. Electronics training taught me how to design only very basic level stuff, mostly it was to repair and replace chips that go bad, but again, its virtually useless now.

But people pay good money for the knowledge I've acquired, and the knowledge everyone else here has acquired as well. The worst thing is that I am seriously thinking that Schooling gets in the way of Education, for sake of the profit of the Educational Facility.