PDA

View Full Version : New Supporter from NC

wide awake
08-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Hi all,

I hope this is not too long but it helped me at least to put my thoughts in writing.

I am a 43 year old male that lives in Charlotte, NC that was raised/went to school/college in NY.

When I was of legal voting age, I registered as a Democrat primarily on two principles:
1. I was very liberal in my views on social issues
2. As a History/Poly Sci Major, I learned quite a bit about how our foreign policy had unintended consequences and the frightening amount of spending on the military industrial complex

Once I started earning a living, I became more and more fiscally conservative and when I moved to NC in 1993, I registered as unaffiliated but though my changing views on the economy allowed me to vote Republican in some races, I still tended to vote Democrat as I could not look past the efforts of the religious wing of the Republican party to dominate its platform.

When Bush II was elected, despite the religious undertone, I was a bit hopeful as he ran on some principles that I did agree with – not believing in “Nation Building” and being a “Fiscal Conservative”… we all know the end to that movie.

I first started to become aware of Ron Paul in early 2007 when I saw him on Bill Maher who highlighted his exchange with Giuliani about the 9/11 attacks. I was intrigued and I knew about the differences between Neocons/Paleocons and Libertarians but I could not even begin to consider voting for somebody with an “R” next to their name after Bush II. Also, unfortunately, a friend’s wife had a bad experience with two young Ron Paul supporters in a grocery store parking lot in early 2008 that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I will admit that I was also excited about Barrack Obama’s election because of what I perceived his “principles” to be… we are in the middle of that movie and it seems like the same movie I watched in 00 to 08.

I was truly discouraged… bad enough that it was acceptable for leaders to break specific campaign promises but now most people overlook that they don’t even stick to their stated principles.

I really hadn’t paid any attention to the early Republican candidates or any news about them. As summer neared, my wife and I planned a less-expensive vacation for us and our two kids as we tried to spend less than what we did on our Disney vacation the year before. Since my sister lives in Virginia, we decided to spend our time there and planned out trips to go to Colonial Williamsburg and Monticello (with Busch Gardens and a water park sandwiched in between so as not to give our kids history overload… actually they loved every place we went). It’s difficult to go to historical places like that and not have your interest in early American history rekindled. I started to recall the fantastic HBO mini-series based on David McCullough’s book on Adams. My wife never saw it so we rented it through NetFlix and watched again… then I read three books by Joseph Ellis (American Creation, American Sphinx, Founding Brothers). We watched the Ken Burns PBS documentary on Jefferson. My wife (a life-long Democrat) said “I’m such a geek, I think I have a crush on Jefferson”.

I am an avid watcher of Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert, as well as Bill Maher. I had noticed that all of them were taking Obama to task. On one of Maher’s shows, the audience groaned when he criticized Obama in a joke and he retorted “He’s not your boyfriend, he’s the president… get over it.” I was obviously not alone in my disappointment in Obama among those that supported him in 2008.

Then of course came the Daily Show segment… it re-introduced me to Ron Paul. I started to read up on him… watch a lot of youtube videos... damn this sounds like what many of our founding fathers actually said. Despite a few issues that I struggle with, I became convinced this is the person I should be supporting. I have come to the conclusion that our political environment (including the vast majority of people involved in it, the money and the mechanisms that supply it, the special interests that dominate it) is so poisoned that the only solution is to move towards as limited of a federal government as possible.

So I have changed my registration in NC from unaffiliated to Republican so I can vote for Ron Paul in the primary. I have started to talk to all of my friends (Rs, Ds, and Is) to get them to look into Ron Paul and do the same thing. I am buying a Ron Paul tee shirt this week. I will be contributing $200 to the Constitution Day money bomb. I will look into volunteering (will only do so if I am convinced that the efforts will be respectful).

Ron Paul is the only candidate from either of the two major parties that I will vote for in the 2012 general election. Short of his nomination, I am going to vote for a third party candidate.

I have enjoyed reading the board here and look forward to participating!

malkusm
08-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks for sharing! Welcome to the forums!

bluesc
08-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Welcome to the forums! New supporters coming here is always encouraging for everyone here.

If you are looking into volunteering, I assure you it's lots of fun and the whole family can be involved. By pointing friends and family in the direction of Ron Paul, you've already done so much for the campaign.

Hope to see you posting more around the forums.

georgiaboy
08-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Always touching to see how folks came around to RP. Great to have ya here, and in the South! Charlotte's a great place. One of our regulars here, gunnyfreedom, is a freshman NC House member, and he announced his candidacy right here on the forums.

JaynLouv
08-28-2011, 08:08 PM
I enjoyed reading your post. Welcome to the forum! I am from NC as well and am also new to this site.

GunnyFreedom
08-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Actually, here in NC you can vote in the GOP primary as an Unaffiliated, just not as a Democrat. However, you do have to be registered GOP to be a delegate, which, when we win the Primary we will need delegates and electors to make Ron Paul's victory real. ;)

Welcome to both of you!

NC is actually doing pretty good in the Ron Paul movement. We've even elected a Ron Pauler State House Representative, and in 2012 we may even elect a Ron Pauler State Senator. :D :D :D

Lymeade-Lady
08-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks for sharing your story! Glad you joined. Be sure to read up on precinct conventions/caucuses for your state! You also may find a local group on "meet-up"--it would probably be really helpful for them to hear what NOT to do as well as let you know where you can volunteer.

AdamT
08-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Welcome!!

KCIndy
08-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Then of course came the Daily Show segment… it re-introduced me to Ron Paul. I started to read up on him… watch a lot of youtube videos... damn this sounds like what many of our founding fathers actually said. Despite a few issues that I struggle with, I became convinced this is the person I should be supporting.

First of all - welcome to the forums!! :D

Your comment about having a few issues you struggle with is very well stated. When I discuss Ron Paul's views with others, I'll often say something like, "There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with the candidate on a few issues. But knowing that Ron Paul is speaking from the heart and telling the truth, can you think of any other candidate you agree with more often than Ron Paul?"

That usually puts a different tone to things.

Also, I'm really sorry to hear about your friend's wife having a bad experience with some Ron Paul supporters. That's exactly the sort of thing that can really and truly hurt a candidate's image, as I try to remind people. I hope she'll eventually be able to look past it with the understanding that there are a few bad apples in any barrel, so to speak.

Last of all - welcome to the forums!! :D

KCIndy
08-28-2011, 08:36 PM
I enjoyed reading your post. Welcome to the forum! I am from NC as well and am also new to this site.

And a big welcome to you too! :D Hope you stick around for all the fun!

amyre
08-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks for sharing and welcome....sorry about the bad experience your friend's wife had. That makes me sad. We've been to a few events and I can honestly say that they've been overwhelmingly family friendly and positive. All the best on your journey...this is a great place to come when you need to be reminded that not ALL of the world has gone mad....just the majority part of it (and the tides are turning, I believe). ;)

JaynLouv
08-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Actually, here in NC you can vote in the GOP primary as an Unaffiliated, just not as a Democrat. However, you do have to be registered GOP to be a delegate, which, when we win the Primary we will need delegates and electors to make Ron Paul's victory real. ;)

I am so glad you mentioned this. I had been looking for information on this very thing. Will be changing my registration to "republican" then.

wide awake
08-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

I just want to clarify that my mention of the incident in 2008 wasn't intended to convey any ongoing obstacle to me or anybody else from supporting Ron Paul, it was just an immediate bad taste that was manifested by a lot of the media portraying Ron Paul's positions as "fringe" or "kooky" which caused me to dismiss any thought of really looking into him. Also, because I was duped into thinking Obama represented change, I quickly dismissed any further research into other candidates.

It could have happened with any candidate's younger supporters... I know I was over-zealous in my approach to discussing politics when I was in my twenties. I am very close to committing to volunteering. Videos like this from his 2008 campaign (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_shEnY_lcQI)are convincing me that I would be very comfortable with volunteering.

wide awake
08-28-2011, 09:46 PM

Welcome to both of you!

NC is actually doing pretty good in the Ron Paul movement. We've even elected a Ron Pauler State House Representative, and in 2012 we may even elect a Ron Pauler State Senator. :D :D :D

Thanks Gunny... that's what I thought too but when I went to look it up, I found this at this site (http://www.nc-politics.com/vguide.htm):

"Do I Have to Declare a Party?
Party affiliation determines the primary in which a voter is eligible to vote. You may register with the Democrat, Republican or Libertarian parties, or you may register as unaffiliated. Unaffiliated voters may vote in a party primary if authorized by that party. If you do not declare a party you will be registered as unaffiliated."

Wasn't sure how difficult it was to get "authorization"

GunnyFreedom
08-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Thanks Gunny... that's what I thought too but when I went to look it up, I found this at this site (http://www.nc-politics.com/vguide.htm):

"Do I Have to Declare a Party?
Party affiliation determines the primary in which a voter is eligible to vote. You may register with the Democrat, Republican or Libertarian parties, or you may register as unaffiliated. Unaffiliated voters may vote in a party primary if authorized by that party. If you do not declare a party you will be registered as unaffiliated."

Wasn't sure how difficult it was to get "authorization"

Authorization for Unaffiliated voters to vote in a partisan primary is granted in the state party bylaws of both Dems and Reps. There is always talk about 'closing the primaries so those darn independendants don't give us moderate nominees' around the conventions, but I don't see that happening any time soon. If it does it'll be huge news and it will be after any 2012 primary is passed. The authorization is per party, not individual. All you have to do is declare your preference at the polls when you go to vote. It's still good that you registered though, makes things easier and less complicated.

wide awake
08-28-2011, 09:57 PM

Thanks! It's encouraging to realize that others in the state are experiencing some of the the same things as myself when I am so new to it.

GunnyFreedom
08-28-2011, 10:00 PM
I am so glad you mentioned this. I had been looking for information on this very thing. Will be changing my registration to "republican" then.

outstanding! We've had a pretty solid Ron Paul delegates thing going on the last 4 conventions. We need to connect you with Adam Love on that too. He pops into these forums occasionally.

wide awake
08-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Authorization for Unaffiliated voters to vote in a partisan primary is granted in the state party bylaws of both Dems and Reps. There is always talk about 'closing the primaries so those darn independendants don't give us moderate nominees' around the conventions, but I don't see that happening any time soon. If it does it'll be huge news and it will be after any 2012 primary is passed. The authorization is per party, not individual. All you have to do is declare your preference at the polls when you go to vote. It's still good that you registered though, makes things easier and less complicated.

ahh... that make sense. I know I voted in the '08 Democratic primary so I thought the state law had changed. I'll probably go back to being Unaffiliated after the '12 election. I really dislike being associated with the two party system but wanted to be sure I could vote for Ron Paul in the primary.

Nate-ForLiberty
08-29-2011, 08:19 PM
great first thread! It's got stories, voter information, delegate information, and it shows that people are seeing these clips of Ron Paul on TV and being converted. Awesome thread.

....and welcome to the forums! :)

Dianne
09-01-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm right around the corner from you in Matthews. Welcome to the forums !!

I was a registered Democrat all my life, until 2007 when I registered Republican for Ron Paul. I had to choke and gag to do that, but Ron Paul was worth it !! Ron Paul is the only thing I have in common with the GOP, and for that matter Obama has proven I have nothing in common with the Democratic party any longer. Obama is a pathological, narcissistic liar who has advanced all the criminal activity of Bush and the Bush administration. At the fast pace Obama is going to destroy the constitution and create his dictatorship, I just hope he, the banksters, the United Nations will allow us to have another election; especially if it appears Obama will lose it.

Hope to see you around town !!

truthspeaker
09-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Welcome!

wide awake
09-03-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm right around the corner from you in Matthews. Welcome to the forums !!

I was a registered Democrat all my life, until 2007 when I registered Republican for Ron Paul. I had to choke and gag to do that, but Ron Paul was worth it !! Ron Paul is the only thing I have in common with the GOP, and for that matter Obama has proven I have nothing in common with the Democratic party any longer. Obama is a pathological, narcissistic liar who has advanced all the criminal activity of Bush and the Bush administration. At the fast pace Obama is going to destroy the constitution and create his dictatorship, I just hope he, the banksters, the United Nations will allow us to have another election; especially if it appears Obama will lose it.

Hope to see you around town !!

Thanks and I know how exactly what you mean. The one positive about switching my affiliation is that it has served as a great platform for a few conversations that I have had with friends of mine that are aware of my political history. For my friends that shared a lot of my socially liberal ideas, they are all ears when they ask me how I could possibly become a Republican. For my neo-con Republican friends that I have discussed this with, they listened to my rational relishing my admission that I was wrong about Obama. It's actually generated a lot of constructive conversations. I know of at least one person that I am close to winning over. Two others are at least intrigued enough to ask some of the same questions I had about Ron Paul when I was going through my "conversion". One just said I jumped from the frying pan into the fire... oh well.... baby steps.

Fermli
09-03-2011, 11:19 PM
nice story OP.

Then of course came the Daily Show segment… it re-introduced me to Ron Paul. I started to read up on him… watch a lot of youtube videos... damn this sounds like what many of our founding fathers actually said. Despite a few issues that I struggle with, I became convinced this is the person I should be supporting.

the power of the internet =)

you'll come around on those few issues. just keep questioning and keep learning.

BuddyRey
09-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Welcome, fellow Charlottean!

wide awake
09-04-2011, 09:19 PM
nice story OP.

the power of the internet =)

you'll come around on those few issues. just keep questioning and keep learning.

Actually, I'm not worried about it... I can't think of one person that I agree with on everything. I agree with his principles (individual liberty, a true free market economy and a non-interventionist foreign policy) and his record is consistent on them. After experiencing the disingenuous nature of the executive branch for the past decade plus, that's good enough for me :-).