PDA

View Full Version : Disaster relief - please help if you can!

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-28-2011, 03:24 AM
Hurricane Irene was not as bad as it could have been (though it is not quite over yet) but it has still caused quite a bit of damage from North Carolina all the way up the Atlantic Coast into New England. Some towns have experienced major flooding, some wind damage and some towns near me even suffered tornado damage. It is time to show people that private charity can do the job just as well and even better than government programs such as FEMA. So considering that some people have lost their lives and many people have either suffered damage or have totally lost their homes, I respectfully ask that those of you who can afford to help do so.

I suggest donating to the American Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org/ . This organization has been operating many storm shelters throughout the region and will no doubt be going into impacted communities to provide hot meals, warm clothes, damage assesment, first aid and many other needed services.

If you know of other good private charity groups please feel free to post links to where you can donate to them.

MODS: I know I posted this in the wrong category but I respectfully ask that you allow this to stay until at least Monday afternoon so that people can consider helping out a great cause.

Also, those of you who live in the effected areas should post photos from your own communities or those near you so that people can see the damages and what their donations will be used for.