PDA

View Full Version : Article about US defense spending vs Swiss defense spending

shadowhooch
08-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Back during Ron Paul's first campaign run in '08, someone posted a great article on these forums about Swiss vs US defense spending.

It basically detailed how the Swiss have afforded to build bomb shelters for everyone in their country (even though they have no enemies) while we, as US citizens, have simply more wars and more enemies and no designated bomb shelters or emergency plan for the people living here.

That ring a bell with anyone? Can someone provide a link? Thanks.

Bosco Warden
08-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Yeah, it was called "They didnt attack Switzerland" and it was from Strike-the-root

http://www.strike-the-root.com/51/walker/walker1.html

That the one?

shadowhooch
08-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Wow. You're good, that's the one. Thanks for the quick response. Amazing.

Anti Federalist
08-27-2011, 11:37 PM
Yeah, it was called "They didnt attack Switzerland" and it was from Strike-the-root

http://www.strike-the-root.com/51/walker/walker1.html

That the one?

I haven't visted Strike the Root in ages, thanks for reminding me what a great site that is.

Bookmarked

Ricky201
08-28-2011, 03:05 AM
"They mind their own business, and they have very strict gun control. By which they mean that every Swiss male must have a gun, except for those who have to carry a mortar or missile launcher."

:eek:

Okay...call me a nerd if you will, but missile launchers are every little boys dream. If this is true...then screw the US, I'm on the next flight to Switzerland!

Brooklyn Red Leg
08-28-2011, 04:09 AM
"They mind their own business, and they have very strict gun control. By which they mean that every Swiss male must have a gun, except for those who have to carry a mortar or missile launcher."

:eek:

Okay...call me a nerd if you will, but missile launchers are every little boys dream. If this is true...then screw the US, I'm on the next flight to Switzerland!

Heh. Actually, if we had a nation that still followed The Militia Act of 1792 then there would be civilian missileer, grenadier and other 'support infantry' militia units in the US. Humvees would be available (since it called for Cavalry Militia) as well as Tanks and other types of weapons that would make any SANE nation think twice about potentially invading. The old adage of 'there would be a rifleman behind every blade of grass' would follow up with an addendum of 'along with a fucking anti-tank team behind every tree and a tank in every city square'.

Tarzan
08-28-2011, 09:21 AM
The article is right. The Swiss ARE armed to the teeth. And, they keep those military weapons stored in their homes... for training, and so they can get to them quickly should they be needed. What's remarkable is that there is very little gun crime in Switzerland. Something that makes an interesting point when arguing gun control in the US.

A story, which may completely anecdotal, and I remember from the long ago (and probably not accurately) goes something like this:
The German Kaiser asked a Swiss General what Switzerland would do if Germany (with one million soldiers) invaded Switzerland with its militia of only 200K men. The Swiss General replied that each Swiss soldier would fire his rifle 5 times... then go home.

eduardo89
08-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Yeah Switzerland is heavily armed and has the perfect terrain to defend. It's pretty much impossible to mount a ground offensive against them, and even bombing them is hard, unless you fly up high and just carpet bomb them completely.

The thing I don't like about Switzerland is the compulsary military service. Every single man is part of the reserve force from the age of 18 until 50 or so. But honestly, it's just one weekend a year, and if that's what it takes to keep the country safe I wouldn't mind doing it. Especially since Switzerland has a sensible foreign policy. If they became a hawkish nation, then I'd be completely against their military service.

FlatIron
08-28-2011, 09:38 AM
I like it how they mentioned Arnold Schwarzenegger.

However, it is prudent to avoid targets with high cinematic value, like the Statue of Liberty, the Golden Gate Bridge , Arnold Schwarzenegger, etc.

Maybe Switzerland is a good option.