PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul inspires defections from his old party

DrNoZone
11-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Ron Paul inspires defections from his old party (http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071104/NEWS/711040342/1321)
ANJEANETTE DAMON
RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL
Posted: 11/4/2007

Sparks lawyer Matt Goodman has been a Libertarian since at least the fourth grade.

He was the kid who raised his hand to remind the teacher that Republican George H.W. Bush and Democrat Michael Dukakis weren't the only two people running for president in 1988.

Unlike other children's parents, his were voting for Libertarian candidate Ron Paul.

But last week, Goodman decided to part -- at least temporarily -- with the minor party cause. He changed his registration to Republican.

The reason: He wants to see a Libertarian elected president, even if that Libertarian is now a Republican.

"The fact Ron Paul has been able to get himself into the Republican Party enough that he has a chance of winning, is very exciting for everyone in the libertarian movement," Goodman said.

Whether Paul, who fails to come in with much more than 2 percent of likely voters' support in national polls, has a chance of winning is disputed by political observers.

[click link above for the full article]

DrNoZone
11-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Mods: please move this to the news section, I posted it here accidentally.

LibertyEagle
11-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Heck, he's been a Republican Congressman for nearly 20 years. He ran as a Libertarian candidate ONCE. I always find it so strange that they associate him more with the Libertarian party, than with the Republican party.

DrNoZone
11-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Heck, he's been a Republican Congressman for nearly 20 years. He ran as a Libertarian candidate ONCE. I always find it so strange that they associate him more with the Libertarian party, than with the Republican party.

Well, it's because his stances are very libertarian in nature, unlike the rest of the warmongering Republican Party.

LibertyEagle
11-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Well, it's because his stances are very libertarian in nature, unlike the rest of the warmongering Republican Party.

The conservative wing of the Republican party used to be libertarian-conservative.

I think the reason the media has pushed him as a Libertarian so much, is to make him seem unrepublican to the rest of the republicans. You know, "he's not one of us", so we shouldn't vote for him. I totally believe this is why we have seen so many articles about this and why so many of the interviews on the MSM always hit this point hard.

Barry Goldwater is the person credited with reviving the conservative movement. That famous speech that Reagan gave for him in '64 was written by Goldwater speechwriters. Those were Goldwater's stances, not Reagan's. If you read that speech, it is obvious that Ron Paul is the only candidate who should even DARE to call themselves a conservative, with exception of Tom Tancredo on some issues. Goldwater did not win that year, but in essence he did years later when Ronald Reagan was elected President. Because he was running on Goldwater's platform. Unfortunately, Reagan talked much better than he walked.

I still think if we were able to get high definition footage of Reagan's speech for Goldwater and maybe some of Goldwater himself and put that in the hands of an extremely talented marketing/image person and a talented film editor, we might just be able to create something that would open wide the eyes of one heck of a lot of Republicans.

specsaregood
11-04-2007, 10:03 AM
I think the reason the media has pushed him as a Libertarian so much, is to make him seem unrepublican to the rest of the republicans. You know, "he's not one of us", so we shouldn't vote for him. I totally believe this is why we have seen so many articles about this and why so many of the interviews on the MSM always hit this point hard.

I agree that is their motive. However, given the taint Bush has put on this part, it remains to be seen if this tactic will backfire against them. He certainly can't be blamed for the failures of this administration.