PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul on HuffPo front page: 'There's no magic about' FEMA

jct74
08-27-2011, 06:50 PM
It's close to the top of the front page right now if anyone wants to hit up the comments, there are a good amount pouring in.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/27/ron-paul-fema-video_n_939131.html

Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul told NBC News on Friday that "there's no magic about" the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). He said that he doesn't see the need for a federal response to Hurricane Irene as the powerful storm makes its way up the east cost.

"We should be like 1900, we should be like 1940, 1950, 1960," said the Texas congressman in weighing in on the matter during a stop in New Hampshire. He regarded FEMA as a "great contribution to deficit financing."

The presidential contender explained that he lives on the Gulf Coast back in the Lone Star State. He said, "We deal with hurricanes all the time. Galveston is in my district."

The Hill notes:

A catastrophic storm hit Galveston in 1900, killing thousands.

"We should be coordinated, but coordinated voluntarily with the states," Paul explained. "A state can decide. We don't need somebody in Washington."

JacksonianBME
08-27-2011, 08:36 PM
I tried to talk some sense into them. They seem to be fine with the moral hazard FEMA represents in underwriting coastal insurance or they don't understand it. A lot on there were saying things like "well then don't ask for federal money" and "well his district received such and such amount" without realizing or ignoring the fact that the states and districts have to beg for funding because that the feds hold the system hostage. I tried to explain that if we didn't send the money to DC and it stayed in the state or even local, there wouldn't need to be any begging. The response would probably be quicker since the money would already be in more local control.

LibertyEagle
08-27-2011, 08:51 PM
I think a lot of people believe federal money floats down from the sky. They don't seem to understand that it is taken out of their pockets.

beerista
08-27-2011, 10:19 PM
I think a lot of people believe federal money floats down from the sky. They don't seem to understand that it is taken out of their pockets.
That's the "magic" part.

jct74
08-28-2011, 03:38 PM
here's another one on the front page getting lots of comments:

Ron Paul: FEMA Signals Too Much 'Dependency' On The Federal Government In Disasters (VIDEO)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/28/ron-paul-fema-signals-too_n_939465.html

WASHINGTON -- With reports that Hurricane Irene killed at least 10 people, knocked out power to more than 2 million homes and businesses and left many towns flooded over the weekend, presidential candidate Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) stood by his controversial belief that the federal government should reduce its role in disaster relief.

On Friday, Paul told NBC News that there was nothing "magic" about the Federal Emergency Disaster Agency (FEMA), which has been coordinating the response to Hurricane Irene.

"We should be like 1900, we should be like 1940, 1950, 1960," said the Texas congressman during a stop in New Hampshire.

In an interview with "Fox News Sunday," Paul -- who appeared on the show immediately after an interview with FEMA Director Craig Fugate -- stood by his remarks but acknowledged that it would take time to get rid of the agency.

nobody's_hero
08-28-2011, 04:23 PM
I see this a lot in the fire-service. When Georgia suffered its worst wildfire in modern history (perhaps the worst of all time, I can't remember how they rated it), we got help from experienced wildland firefighters from 'out west' much quicker than the Feds. I specifically recall one crew from the state of Wyoming.

People almost always help each other when there's a need, and they do so without middlemen on the federal payroll.