PDA

View Full Version : Turning good ideas into good sound bites

Teaser Rate
08-27-2011, 04:58 PM
During my time in the liberty movement, I’ve noticed that many good libertarian ideas are often difficult to communicate to a mainstream audience. Part of this is because most people don’t what the Fed or the Military–industrial complex are, and part of it is because libertarianism’s uncompromising devotion to substantive ideas often causes us to neglect style.

Regardless of what causes this chink in our collective armor, it’s a problem which needs to be addressed because campaigns are won and lost in 10 second sound bites. Below are a few of my suggestions of how to introduce controversial topics:

Don’t say “legalize all drugs” or “end the war on drugs”, say “focus our law enforcement on violent criminals”.

Don’t say “end the Fed” or “return to the gold standard”, say “restore transparency to America’s monetary policy”.

Don’t say “reform entitlements” or “end the welfare state”, say “update America’s safety net for 21st century sustainability”.

Don’t say “end the American Empire” or ”end the Military–industrial complex”, say “re-focus our military on national defense”.

Feel free to add your own examples.

mtmedlin
08-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Very good point.

" End the war in Iraq" better to say "Bring our troops home to secure our borders, airports and incoming sea freight" Also like to mention only 5% of containers are searched and with our troops home we could get 100%.

"Get rid of the Department of Education" simply say "Do we really need a Federal department of education telling our states what to do, when ALL 50 states already have a department of education?"

Two of my favorites.

HeyArchie
08-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Very good point.

" End the war in Iraq" better to say "Bring our troops home to secure our borders, airports and incoming sea freight" Also like to mention only 5% of containers are searched and with our troops home we could get 100%.

"Get rid of the Department of Education" simply say "Do we really need a Federal department of education telling our states what to do, when ALL 50 states already have a department of education?"

Two of my favorites.
Two of your favorites and two of the most important things to me. And also some of the most misunderstood. When I talk to people about bringing ALL of our troops home and abolishing different departments of government, they get a little weird about it. It often ends with "those actually make sense, but I could never vote for Ron Paul"... I suspect the media is having that effect on people. :/

Teaser Rate
08-28-2011, 07:26 AM
Very good point.

Two of my favorites.

I agree with both points, especially the one about education. Most people I talk to seem to equate eliminating the Department of Education with abolishing public education all together.

Teaser Rate
08-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Bump.