PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC Blasts Paul on FEMA remarks

Created4
08-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Need some people to comment and more accurately represent what Ron Paul's position is on disaster preparedness and relief. He is taking a beating in the comments here: http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/08/26/7488430-ron-paul-no-fema-response-necessary

pcosmar
08-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Need some people to comment and more accurately represent what Ron Paul's position is on disaster preparedness and relief. He is taking a beating in the comments here: http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/08/26/7488430-ron-paul-no-fema-response-necessary

Why argue with idiots. Ron said what he meant. End FEMA.
It is a huge waste of resources and gets in the way.

AbVag
08-27-2011, 01:42 PM
You can't argue with people who call 911 over a paper cut. They're chickens with their heads already cut off. They're beyond rationalizing with.

Created4
08-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Why argue with idiots. Ron said what he meant. End FEMA.
It is a huge waste of resources and gets in the way.

Because that was one of the suggestions written here regarding how we can educate the public: by commenting in articles in the national old-school media. True, it is a waste of time to argue with these people, but a small percentage of those that read these articles comment. Good sound, reasonable responses will be read by those who still do not know Dr. Paul's views.

smartguy911
08-27-2011, 02:06 PM
I saw this comment --- http://letters.salon.com/politics/war_room/2011/08/26/ron_paul_hurricanes/view/?show=all

It's interesting that Ron Paul should choose 1900 as the year to emulate. On September 8, 1900, Galveston sustained a direct hit from a category 4 hurricane. The Weather Bureau office in Galveston had received warnings from the Washington DC office on September 4th that a tropical storm had moved northward over Cuba, but because of limited observational capability in 1900, they had no way of knowing where it currently was or in which direction it was heading.

Large swells from the southeast on the Gulf and clouds at all altitudes moving in from the northeast prompted the Galveston Weather Bureau office to raise the hurricane warning flags on the afternoon of the 7th, but the city had weathered numerous previous storms, and for the most part the population was unconcerned; the weather on the 7th seemed unremarkable, and few people chose to evacuate. They had no idea they were facing would would be, and remains, the deadliest hurricane in U.S. history.

The destruction of property was great, but the greatest tragedy was the enormous death toll, estimated at between 6,000 and 12,000 (and most often reported as about 8,000). Many who survived the actual hurricane died trapped under debris before they could be rescued. 30,000 were left homeless.

Because the bridges to the mainland were destroyed and the telegraph lines were downed, no word of the city's plight got out the the wider world until six survivors on the ship Pherabe, one of the few at the Galveston wharfs to survive the storm, straggled into a telegraph office in Houston at 3 a.m. on September 10th to send a message to the governor of Texas and President McKinley that the city of Galveston had been destroyed. And even then, they had no idea of the full extent of the damage, estimating the dead at five hundred.

This is really what Ron Paul wants to go back to?

fearthereaperx
08-27-2011, 02:15 PM
He definately should've articulated his response better; Chris Wallace is gonna badger him on this. Just like with the Bin Laden and Iran comments, this is gonna put another dent in the momentum and we're gonna take hit in the polls.

pauliticalfan
08-27-2011, 02:18 PM
This is why we need to get something like that Ron Paul Myths site up and running.

LibertyEagle
08-27-2011, 02:22 PM
He definately should've articulated his response better; Chris Wallace is gonna badger him on this. Just like with the Bin Laden and Iran comments, this is gonna put another dent in the momentum and we're gonna take hit in the polls.

I listened to the video snippet. What he said was fine. Clearly this was a clip out of a longer statement. He'll be fine if he's ready to give concrete examples of the failures of FEMA, for example with Katrina, and the cost in lives, treasure and liberty, because of FEMA.

Most Republicans well know how much of a failure FEMA was with Katrina. If Ron is prepared with concrete examples and talking points, this has the potential of being a huge win in showing the negative impacts of putting government in the position of nanny. This is not the proper role of government.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
08-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Ugghhh, the FEMA thing will not fly well with most voters. Even some of the most small govt advocates feel the federal govt should be there for times of need.

smartguy911
08-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Ugghhh, the FEMA thing will not fly well with most voters. Even some of the most small govt advocates feel the federal govt should be there for times of need.

I might be one of them. I am not sure though. lol

LibertyEagle
08-27-2011, 02:55 PM

Not the ones I've talked to. Not after Katrina.

Note: The only reason would be that even though they know that FEMA is a huge failure, they don't understand how it would work if it was left up to the states and the people. They also don't think about the money that would still be in their hands if it wasn't extracted to fund FEMA.

LibertyEagle
08-27-2011, 02:56 PM

Why?

TheBlackPeterSchiff
08-27-2011, 03:00 PM
"We should be like 1900, we should be like 1940, 1950, 1960,"

Not a good quote....people are already saying "Ron Paul wants to take us back to the stone age!"

TheBlackPeterSchiff
08-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Not the ones I've talked to. Not after Katrina.

Note: The only reason would be that even though they know that FEMA is a huge failure, they don't understand how it would work if it was left up to the states and the people. They also don't think about the money that would still be in their hands if it wasn't extracted to fund FEMA.

Hey, Im from new orleans and I think we would have been better off without FEMA. But most people will beleive that even with all the abuse, corruption and poor management, a good amount of people got helped. Sure it was a huge transfer of wealth and malinvestment, but stuff like that takes a greater understanding of economics...something very much lacking in the American public.

Just more ammo for those that say "Ron Paul wants to leave people dying on the streets!"

pcosmar
08-27-2011, 03:04 PM
FEMA does not prevent death or destruction from storms. FEMA shows up afterward and hinders rebuilding.

Galveston rebuilt and buried their dead without FEMA. As have many other places through history.

That is the point.

matt0611
08-27-2011, 03:05 PM

The Federal government is only there because we give them the money to exist through our taxes, there's nothing magical about government. They only exist because we pay them, the government doesn't do a single thing that the private sector couldn't do better, not one. Well, except destroy things, kill people, and waste money, they're the best in that department.

The attitude that people have is that the government exists as its own entity and that somehow we "need" them for certain things because they are the only possible source, which is completely false. We would be able to build roads, educate ourselves, protect ourselves, run the mail, provide for the poor, create our own money, and everything else without them. Much more efficiently as well.

smartguy911
08-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Why?

I guess i just don't understand this whole FEMA thing. I never really looked into it. As long states are allowed to take care of people, I have no problem getting rid of FEMA. However, I don't like the idea of having no form of support in case of an emergency.

When Dr. Paul answers, all i hear is you guys are on your own. Good luck.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
08-27-2011, 03:09 PM
The Federal government is only there because we give them the money to exist through our taxes, there's nothing magical about government. They only exist because we pay them, the government doesn't do a single thing that the private sector couldn't do better, not one. Well, except destroy things, kill people, and waste money, they're the best in that department.

The attitude that people have is that the government exists as its own entity and that somehow we "need" them for certain things because they are the only possible source, which is completely false. We would be able to build roads, educate ourselves, protect ourselves, run the mail, provide for the poor, create our own money, and everything else without them. Much more efficiently as well.

Hey, I agree on everything you said. Unfortunately one thing the govt has done a great job at is getting the people to believe it IS some sort of "magical" entity that can "fix" things when times get tough..ie. fix the economy, fix the infrastructure, fix my city when it natural disasters hit, etc.

LibertyEagle
08-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Hey, Im from new orleans and I think we would have been better off without FEMA. But most people will beleive that even with all the abuse, corruption and poor management, a good amount of people got helped. Sure it was a huge transfer of wealth and malinvestment, but stuff like that takes a greater understanding of economics...something very much lacking in the American public.

Just more ammo for those that say "Ron Paul wants to leave people dying on the streets!"

Yes, but it is easily countered by giving examples that pull at the emotions, of FEMA stopping volunteers from getting in to deliver much needed food and water and flashing to the conditions in the coliseum; in addition to how they actually stopped residents from leaving the area. All the empty trailers; how people were treated who did occupy them, etc. There are endless examples. He needs to prepare some talking points, that is for sure.

juleswin
08-27-2011, 03:14 PM

Ofc some people just like some of the slaves prefered to stay with their slave masters and saw it as a punishment to be freed from their bondage and you cannot help people like that. But getting to Ron's point, I think what he was trying to say is that even though Galvaston suffered a devastating storm the likes we have never seen in this country before, they were able to rebuild and get back on their feet without FEMA.

And speaking of the devil, its the same FEMA - you are doing a heck of a job Brown - who needed 3 days to arrive in New Orleans? the same FEMA that delivered toxic trailers at the cost of $229000 to the tax payers to the people of New Orleans?

But the main problem lies with the Army corp of engineers, those guys have to be the most incompetent department in the whole US govt. They failed to secure the levees and control floods more than I can count and you cant even sue them after your property have been destroyed. FEMA, Army corp of engineers all have to go and if you love it so much, then you pay for it

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21824609/ns/nightly_news/t/fema-trailers/

pcosmar
08-27-2011, 03:17 PM
I guess i just don't understand this whole FEMA thing. I never really looked into it. As long states are allowed to take care of people, I have no problem getting rid of FEMA. However, I don't like the idea of having no form of support in case of an emergency.

When Dr. Paul answers, all i hear is you guys are on your own. Good luck.

All you have to do is look at history. Ron Paul mentions Galveston because it is nearby and in his district.
It was destroyed and rebuilt.
The San Francisco earthquake as well. SF rebuilt, also without FEMA.

I lived in the Florida Keys for many years, and saw several hurricanes. And survived them with no help from FEMA. In fact whenever they showed up they got in the way. And most of the money handed out was to scammers or folks that didn't need it.

When Homestead was hit and destroyed, there were convoys from the lower Keys before FEMA ever showed up.
FEMA is an unnecessary waste, and a hindrance to people.

Working Poor
08-27-2011, 03:41 PM

Well gee can't you go post about your personal experience on this piece?

matt0611
08-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Hey, I agree on everything you said. Unfortunately one thing the govt has done a great job at is getting the people to believe it IS some sort of "magical" entity that can "fix" things when times get tough..ie. fix the economy, fix the infrastructure, fix my city when it natural disasters hit, etc.

Oh I know you do. It was more directed at the people out there that the government has convinced of these things. I was just ranting :)

Created4
08-27-2011, 03:43 PM
It would definitely be helpful to hear the full context of what he said in this interview. He needs to give positive examples of how local people and resources, as opposed to FEMA, have worked more efficiently in times of disaster. If the campaign team is on their toes about this, they will seek out private sector organizations that will work on the Irene aftermath, and show how ineffective the government was. Anyway, it got him in the news, so they need to be prepared for the follow up questions and interviews that they will ask about this.

ronpaulitician
08-27-2011, 03:50 PM
"Someone else will do it" is a dangerous mentality. Especially when we believe that "someone" is the same "someone" who provides such a wonderful return on our money. I mean, look at our great medical system, educational system, and pillage and plunder system.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
08-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Well gee can't you go post about your personal experience on this piece?

Nothing bad to really say. My folks got a couple thousand dollars in FEMA money to help them maintain while they had to live in Atlanta for a few months, until the water was drained from the city and was safe to return. Me personally, I luckily moved to Baton Rouge a month before Katrina.

Created4
08-27-2011, 04:01 PM
CNN actually covered this better, and better comments: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/27/ron-paul-we-dont-need-fema/

but this is spreading like wildfire. The campaign better do damage control fast and put this in proper perspective. Here is how ABC covered it:

ABC News' Jason Volack reports:

With Hurricane Irene bearing down on the East Coast and taking direct aim at America’s biggest city, who needs the Federal Emergency Management Agency anyway?

At least that’s the question that presidential candidate Ron Paul raised today at a campaign stop in New Hampshire, just hours before the storm was expected to begin inflicting heavy damage up and down the Eastern Seaboard.

"We should be like 1900. We should be like 1940, 1950, 1960," Paul told a reporter for NBC News after a lunch-time speech in Gilford, N.H. "I live on the Gulf Coast; we deal with hurricanes all the time. Galveston is in my district.”

"There's no magic about FEMA. They're a great contribution to deficit financing and quite frankly they don't have a penny in the bank. We should be coordinated but coordinated voluntarily with the states," Paul said. "A state can decide. We don't need somebody in Washington."

This isn’t the first time the libertarian-leaning Texas Congressman had made controversial remarks regarding FEMA. In a May 13 interview with CNN, Paul called for the elimination of the agency.

“Why should somebody from the central part of the United States rebuild my house? Why shouldn't I have to buy my own insurance and protect about the potential dangers,” Paul said. “Well, the reason we don't have market insurance is it's too expensive. Well, why is it expensive? Because it's dangerous. Well, so why should - why should we take money from somebody else who don't get the chance to live on the Gulf and make them pay to rebuild my house?”

FEMA’s primary job is to coordinate the response to a major disaster. The agency also provides state and local governments with experts in specialized fields and assists individuals and businesses with low interest loans for rebuilding.

To receive FEMA’s help – a state my declare a state of emergency and request help from the president. The agency directed relief for both Hurricane’s Andrew in 1992 and Katrina in 2005.

The campaign did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment.

Created4
08-27-2011, 04:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUgF3DkSJ-8

I don't know if Ron will address this when he is asked about his FEMA comments most assuredly tomorrow, but people need to realize that when they let the government control emergency responses, this is one potential result. Alternatives to the national government that get the job done better in real emergencies like natural disasters, need to be articulated.

Kords21
08-27-2011, 04:33 PM
I think too that a lot of the tragic things that happened in post-Katrina New Orleans would have been avoided if the people there had a mindset of "We're in this together, the gov't isn't coming". I think a lot of chaos happend with people sitting around and waiting for "Superman" if you will. Even when FEMA did show up, it was so mismanaged it made things worse in my opinion. Then again, the idea of people banding together like in the 1900 Hurricane or the San Francisco Fire has been beat down for the last 30 years, so in a lot of ways Katrina was more a perfect storm in a lot of ways. People have been trained to trust gov't in all things. Heck, Homeland security has you so distrustful of that your neighbor might be a "terrorist", so whey would you help out a terrorist in that siutation, no better to wait for the gov't to deal with it.

Kind of hard to band together when the gov't has you so distrustuful of everyone these days.

AgentOrange
08-27-2011, 04:56 PM
And don't forget FEMA demanding payment from victims that were accidently overpaid (FEMA admits it was their fault of the overpayment, but still demands the money back from people who already spent the money rebuilding their lives.) Did FEMA really help anyone? We're all told FEMA will help, but I don't know of any concrete examples.

juleswin
08-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Just going to add this. Please try and watch the documentary "The big uneasy" to see how the so called natural disaster was let to happen by the overlords charged to protect us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ov01dLQ3-4

In 2005, a disaster struck New Orleans. You know the rest. Or do you?

The first documentary by long-time "mockumentarian" Harry Shearer, The Big Uneasy follows three remarkable people--the leaders of two scientific investigation teams, and one whistleblower--as they reveal the true story of why New Orleans flooded, and why it could happen again.

Shearer gets the inside story of a disaster that could have been prevented from the people who were there. His dogged pursuit of facts reveals that some of the same flawed methods responsible for levee failure during Hurricane Katrina are being used to rebuild the system expected to protect the new New Orleans from future peril.

The Big Uneasy marks the beginning of the end of ignorance about what happened to one of our nations most treasured citiesand serves as a stark reminder that the same agency that failed to protect New Orleans still employs the same flawed science in many other cities across America. Without improvements to engineering and accountability in oversight, the film cautions, we will be very sorry to see history repeat

ronpaulhawaii
08-27-2011, 05:30 PM
This is why we need to get something like that Ron Paul Myths site up and running.

Maybe partner with this guy

http://paulitifact.com/

looks like he could use some help, hasn't been updated since July...

FEMA was horrible on Kaua'i after Iniki. It was like they were encouraging waste, fraud, and abuse. Then, they went in later and charged people with fraud/etc... Seemed like a big data gathering boondoggle...

I'd like to see some sleuths start investigating crony connections between FEMA officials and contractors. Connections like Chertoff and the scanners/etc...

Rothbardian Girl
08-27-2011, 05:31 PM
This is precisely the problem that I mentioned in the other thread. These comments will only add more fuel to the "Ron Paul wants to take us all back to the Stone Age" mentality. I think if RP would have framed his comments better instead of getting caught in the "1900, 1940, 1960" trap, there would be a lot less ammunition. Hopefully he is able to extricate himself out of this one so his poll numbers don't take a hit. God knows he needs all the support he can get.

Xenophage
08-27-2011, 05:48 PM
FEMA causes more harm in many cases than the disasters they come in to 'help' with. Remember all those people in the stadium after New Orleans? They just sat around waiting for the government to come help them out. WalMart got there before FEMA did.

People need to open their eyes.

pcosmar
NO, NO, NO.
Ron Paul does not need to "frame" it differently. It is simple and plain truth.

The MSM and the hand wringers and Socialists will oppose it, as they oppose all wisdom and truth.

Get used to that. They use emotionalism to overrule logic. They want more and more government, not less.

They hate it that Ron tells the simple truth.

Xenophage
Ron Paul is exactly right. FEMA is bullshit.

Xenophage
08-27-2011, 05:49 PM
NO, NO, NO.

The MSM and the hand wringers and Socialists will oppose it, as they oppose all wisdom and truth.

Get used to that. They use emotionalism to overrule logic. They want more and more government, not less.

+1

redbluepill
08-27-2011, 06:00 PM
While I agree with Paul that FEMA needs to be ended I honestly think he is giving the public too much to chew on at once. He needs to pick his arguments more wisely.

Brett85
08-27-2011, 06:04 PM
The campaign better do damage control fast and put this in proper perspective.

Lol. Why? It continues to amaze me that people think that Ron is somehow running in a general election already. He's running in a GOP primary, and Ron's position on this issue won't cost him a single GOP voter. GOP voters are much more concerned about his position on Iran, for instance. Ron's stance on this issue will probably make him gain about 5% points among GOP primary voters.

Brett85
08-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Hopefully he is able to extricate himself out of this one so his poll numbers don't take a hit. God knows he needs all the support he can get.

Yes, those MSNBC liberals may not vote for him in the GOP primary now.

smartguy911
08-27-2011, 06:11 PM
NO, NO, NO.

IT'S CONFUSING TRUTH. I have said it in my other post when Dr. Paul talks, it sounds like sorry folks you are on your own -- Earthquake, Fire, Floods etc. It sounds like there is no support from state government. He needs to say before 1980, we took care of things with help from local/state governments.

redbluepill
08-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Not a good quote....people are already saying "Ron Paul wants to take us back to the stone age!"

Yeah. I kind of winced when I read that.

mtmedlin
08-27-2011, 06:17 PM
First and foremost that article is really using all of this out of contect. In 1900 when this happened, they didnt have the technology to warn people to secure or get out. THAT is why 6-12K people died and if Fema was around then, it still wouldnt have done anything.

Second, RP needs to talk about it as being a states issue because the Federal Government has and is incompetent. (nobody argues with that statement) If you ask someone to name a time that FEMA responded in a perfect way and met or exceeded expectations, they stutter and cant. If he simplys says that the Tax money should be left to the states and allow them to take care of themselves and their neighbors, then he doesnt look crazy and gets the support.

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-27-2011, 06:25 PM
http://mises.org/daily/3627

I return without my approval House bill number 10203, entitled "An Act to enable the Commissioner of Agriculture to make a special distribution of seeds in drought-stricken counties of Texas, and making an appropriation therefor."

It is represented that a long-continued and extensive drought has existed in certain portions of the State of Texas, resulting in a failure of crops and consequent distress and destitution.

Though there has been some difference in statements concerning the extent of the people's needs in the localities thus affected, there seems to be no doubt that there has existed a condition calling for relief; and I am willing to believe that, notwithstanding the aid already furnished, a donation of seed grain to the farmers located in this region, to enable them to put in new crops, would serve to avert a continuance or return of an unfortunate blight.

And yet I feel obliged to withhold my approval of the plan as proposed by this bill, to indulge a benevolent and charitable sentiment through the appropriation of public funds for that purpose.

I can find no warrant for such an appropriation in the Constitution, and I do not believe that the power and duty of the general government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering which is in no manner properly related to the public service or benefit. A prevalent tendency to disregard the limited mission of this power and duty should, I think, be steadfastly resisted, to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the government, the government should not support the people.

The friendliness and charity of our countrymen can always be relied upon to relieve their fellow citizens in misfortune. This has been repeatedly and quite lately demonstrated. Federal aid in such cases encourages the expectation of paternal care on the part of the government and weakens the sturdiness of our national character, while it prevents the indulgence among our people of that kindly sentiment and conduct which strengthens the bonds of a common brotherhood.

It is within my personal knowledge that individual aid has, to some extent, already been extended to the sufferers mentioned in this bill. The failure of the proposed appropriation of $10,000 additional, to meet their remaining wants, will not necessarily result in continued distress if the emergency is fully made known to the people of the country.

It is here suggested that the Commissioner of Agriculture is annually directed to expend a large sum of money for the purchase, propagation, and distribution of seeds and other things of this description, two-thirds of which are, upon the request of senators, representatives, and delegates in Congress, supplied to them for distribution among their constituents.

The appropriation of the current year for this purpose is $100,000, and it will probably be no less in the appropriation for the ensuing year. I understand that a large quantity of grain is furnished for such distribution, and it is supposed that this free apportionment among their neighbors is a privilege which may be waived by our senators and representatives.

If sufficient of them should request the Commissioner of Agriculture to send their shares of the grain thus allowed them, to the suffering farmers of Texas, they might be enabled to sow their crops; the constituents, for whom in theory this grain is intended, could well bear the temporary deprivation, and the donors would experience the satisfaction attending deeds of charity.

Eleutheros
08-27-2011, 06:44 PM
This is a true article, I am not making this up:

This winter, FEMA put up over 300 Hurricane Katrina evacuees in New York City hotels. Almost all of them have gone back to their lives, their jobs. But not Theon Johnson. He’s currently sprawled out watching Halloween 5 on one of the two full-size beds in his room at the JFK Airport Holiday Inn. He is one of four evacuees still living in a hotel in the city.

After being flown here for free back in September, Johnson’s been at the Holiday Inn since Super Bowl Sunday. On April 21, the hotel served Johnson with three notices of occupancy termination, saying that it would begin court proceedings if he wasn’t out by May 9. He wasn’t, so it did. If the court boots him, Johnson could end up in one of the city’s homeless shelters. He’s been broke for over a month now. FEMA sent him $9,000 in housing aid, but he spent it all on booze, cigarettes, some clothes, and food—partying, mostly. “I spent my money just the way I wanted, and I think [fema] should send me some more,” he says. But it won’t. Johnson’s caseworker says FEMA offered to buy him a ticket home to New Orleans in February, but he didn’t take it. FEMA won’t now. So he’s stuck, at least until the Holiday Inn pays him to leave.

Gross incompetence by FEMA. Hey, I'll betcha Theon will love where FEMA plans to house him when the next crisis hits.

http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/17161/

TheBlackPeterSchiff
08-27-2011, 07:48 PM
This is a true article, I am not making this up:

Gross incompetence by FEMA. Hey, I'll betcha Theon will love where FEMA plans to house him when the next crisis hits.

http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/17161/
LOL, wow.

But most will argue that "fema just needs better management" not abolishment. But they dont realize that govt cant manage shit!

Bruno
08-27-2011, 07:52 PM
FEMA has such a great track record at spending taxpayer dollars and is beyond criticism because of the valuable service they provide!

/sarcasm

Created4
08-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Dr. Paul will be on the Sunday talk shows tomorrow, so I hope he prepared to take the offensive on this issue, and show how inefficient government is in handling this, and how many of our liberties we give up to such an agency. The money can be used much better at the state and local level coordinated with private businesses. Much more efficient. But he has to communicate that he is concerned for people during these times, and that there is a much more efficient way of getting them help more quickly.

HOLLYWOOD
08-27-2011, 09:36 PM
We Need a "The Best of FEMA"

Katrina: Millions in taxpayer money melts away to water in FEMA 18 wheelers
Katrina: Debit Cards for residence turns into millions in fraud, abuse, and a lot of purchases at now bankrupt Circuit City, instead of essential goods.
Katrina: Millions wasted on Toxic formaldehide trailers

juleswin
08-27-2011, 10:06 PM
We Need a "The Best of FEMA"

Katrina: Millions in taxpayer money melts away to water in FEMA 18 wheelers
Katrina: Debit Cards for residence turns into millions in fraud, abuse, and a lot of purchases at now bankrupt Circuit City, instead of essential goods.
Katrina: Millions wasted on Toxic formaldehide trailers

Katrina: $226,000 toxic trailers that they bought for NO flood victims. Those same trailers can be bought for $4000 on the internet. \o/ for FEMA

AGRP
08-27-2011, 10:21 PM
The very idea of a centralized bureaucracy properly managing local events boggles the mind.

FEMA proves that we don't even need a Washington DC.

Bosco Warden
08-27-2011, 10:25 PM
I think RP's reply was perfect, but it doesnt matter anyways that is MSNBC, they are a bunch of socialists over there. Anything short of Govt paid everything isnt going to matter. Those people are crazy, they dont understand that the printed money the FED prints actually has to be paid back, and it probably going to be by a Republican since they seem to comprise the majority of the working class. Certainly not anyone on welfare, they could care less.

Created4
08-27-2011, 11:50 PM
"Only 25 percent of the respondents to a survey conducted in Mississippi after Hurricane Katrina identified government as their most important source of aid. Government relief to disaster victims is often less effective than aid provided by volunteers, non-profit organizations, and commercial enterprises, and it often facilitates corruption, encourages growth in disaster-prone areas, and crowds out self-help."

Disaster Relief as Bad Public Policy, by WILLIAM F. SHUGHART II - http://independent.org/pdf/tir/tir_15_04_2_shughart.pdf

Rothbardian Girl
08-28-2011, 01:19 AM
IT'S CONFUSING TRUTH. I have said it in my other post when Dr. Paul talks, it sounds like sorry folks you are on your own -- Earthquake, Fire, Floods etc. It sounds like there is no support from state government. He needs to say before 1980, we took care of things with help from local/state governments.

I agree. Pete, I definitely agree that it's obvious Ron Paul speaks the simple truth, and his passionate supporters love him for that, but this is not a strategy bound to win over voters! He's been doing a lot better as of late; this was a soundbite that I'm sure he will be able to step out of. People have very short memories, it's true, but we're riding some momentum and this might be a little bump in the road. I'm not really sure.

Yes, those MSNBC liberals may not vote for him in the GOP primary now.
Hey, anything that costs us potential votes is a slight negative in my opinion. I don't think all people who watch MSNBC necessarily share the same crackpot viewpoints. Hell, I'm sure the average red-blooded GOP voter appreciates the handouts coming his way too.

trey4sports
08-28-2011, 01:26 AM
MSNBC attacking Paul = good for a GOP primary

pcosmar
08-28-2011, 08:17 AM
MSNBC attacking Paul = good for a GOP primary

It really seems to not matter what the subject is. Ron tells the simple truth, and the MSM goes nuts.

I only hope this CAT 1 storm and the inevitable over response and waste will prove him right again.

samforpaul
08-28-2011, 10:39 AM
FEMA causes more harm in many cases than the disasters they come in to 'help' with. Remember all those people in the stadium after New Orleans? They just sat around waiting for the government to come help them out. WalMart got there before FEMA did.

People need to open their eyes.

I still recall seeing Jeraldo Rivera doing a report pleading, asking why couldn't at least bottles of water be brought in.

LibertyEagle
08-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Ron Paul ruled this interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b5fj0eR3sg&

LibertyEagle
08-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Katrina: $226,000 toxic trailers that they bought for NO flood victims. Those same trailers can be bought for $4000 on the internet. \o/ for FEMA
Are you saying they spent 226K PER trailer???

Created4
08-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Ron Paul ruled this interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b5fj0eR3sg&

Did this actually air on TV, or is it only on the Internet? I recorded all the Fox Sunday morning programs, and it was all Irene news (even here in California).

juleswin
08-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Are you saying they spent 226K PER trailer???

Yup, at least if you believe this MSNBC headline and article.

$229,000 FEMA trailers
Agency spent more on trailers than it would have cost to buy new houses

A new report by government watchdogs obtained by NBC News estimates expenses for each FEMA trailer at the Port Bienville site could reach a staggering $229,000.

"I could have bought a brand-new trailer! Or a house even!" Guidroz says.

She's right. Guidroz could have bought a $200,000, 3-bedroom house nearby, with money left over.

Investigators with the Government Accountability Office (GAO) say the trailers themselves cost only $14,000, but FEMA wasted big money by placing them at a small temporary site built from scratch with huge maintenance costs.

"What you see throughout this report is an utter disregard for how much was being paid," says Senator Susan Collins (R-Maine) who asked the GAO to investigate trailer-maintenance costs.

The GAO found that over a seven month period, FEMA made a total of $30 million in improper or fraudulent payments for trailer maintenance alone. The investigators also found examples of phony inspections, rigged bids, and excessive payments.

At one site, McLeod Water Park in Kiln, Miss., FEMA paid a contractor $1.8 million to clean trailer septic tanks. A staggering $1.5 million of that was profit. While FEMA paid the contractor $245 per cleaning, per trailer, three times each week, the contractor paid a subcontractor $45 per cleaning to actually do the work.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21824609/ns/nightly_news/t/fema-trailers/

Too bad Ron didn't use the juicy piece of info in the interview

outspoken
08-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Until people understand and respect that the federal govt is a malignant tumor rather than our savior, we will continue to have these debates and question whether or not agencies established by those more responsible to provide for those less responsible are desirable.

AFPVet
08-28-2011, 11:48 AM

This!

freeforall
08-28-2011, 12:08 PM
I don't think the 1900s sound bite is such a bad thing. It grabbed a lot of attention and now people are talking about it. Any independent voter will want to know why he doesn't see a need for FEMA so they will be looking for a more complete explanation like the one he gave today on Fox News Sunday.

Tarzan
08-28-2011, 12:41 PM

On the other hand he might win every vote in Louisiana, Mississippi & Alabama from individuals who suffered from Katrina and/or witnessed FEMA in action.

I do agree about articulating the issue more clearly... so there will be no misunderstanding about these issues and others. Issues and positions that can then be misrepresented to our disadvantage. Brevity and clarity are critical as Ron Paul tries to win broader support.

I think the 1900 sound bite needs some work... there have been plenty of other disasters prior to the creation of FEMA in '78. Perhaps RP could list a few that are more contemporary, then contrast more recent 'natural disasters' to how FEMA has handled them since.

Overall... Ron Paul did great! Good interview.

Theocrat
08-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Americans need to recognize that the states should be the primary responders to natural disaster relief, not the federal government. Do they not understand that our federal government is already stretched too thin? People just expect too much from the federal government, and it's not God.

Congressman Paul nailed that interview.

Bruno
08-28-2011, 01:42 PM
FEMA has only been around since 1978. That is a short time to become such collasal failure. How on earth did we ever survive without their efficient disaster management?

AFPVet
08-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Why can't the National Guard and the locals handle emergencies without FEMA getting in the way?

TheBlackPeterSchiff
08-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Everyone's arguments are on point.

Unfortunately, all your average Americans see when they go on cnn.com is "Ron Paul wants to cut FEMA"

LisaNY
08-28-2011, 02:36 PM
I live about 30 miles north of NYC, we had some flooding and trees down, even a few minor structural collapses but our local fire department (volunteer no less) took care of everything. My husband is the fire chief here and just getting home after 14 hours of being out. We did not need FEMA at all!

OrigSEOH
08-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Um, didn't Brian Williams put that guy at FEMA in the corner the other night over Katrina (08/26/2011 I think)...he basically said one thing they are doing different is utilizing private distribution networks, like Home Depot, to get the supplies to the areas in need. In general, my perception of the interview was that FEMA is unable to deliver as efficiently as Home Depot and that FEMA is a waste of confiscated money.

Paul Fan
08-28-2011, 03:10 PM

This!

Draft done.

Comments welcome.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?307959-New-Website-Ron-Paul-Myths.-Volunteers-needed!&p=3512538&viewfull=1#post3512538

Bruno
08-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Um, didn't Brian Williams put that guy at FEMA in the corner the other night over Katrina (08/26/2011 I think)...he basically said one thing they are doing different is utilizing private distribution networks, like Home Depot, to get the supplies to the areas in need. In general, my perception of the interview was that FEMA is unable to deliver as efficiently as Home Depot and that FEMA is a waste of confiscated money.

Yes, I caught that, too.