PDA

View Full Version : MS-Cops shoot family dog."It looked like they brought out a SWAT team to take down a bear"

Anti Federalist
08-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Dog shooting by police questioned

Pet was cowering in carport, owner says; chief says it rushed officers, had to be killed

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20110826/NEWS/108260354/Dog-shooting-by-police-questioned?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

RICHLAND — Controversy swirls around whether a Richland police officer was justified in shooting a family pet after receiving a complaint about a vicious dog.

Police were called to Richland East Circle when a dog allegedly growled and showed his teeth to some neighbors Wednesday night, Police Chief Russel James.

An officer shot the dog after it became aggressive and rushed several officers when its owner stepped outside his home around 8:40 p.m.
"The dog posed a serious threat," James said.

But John Harrison, the dog's owner, and his son, Adam, tell a different story about Rosco. They say the 4-year-old German shepherd was under their carport waiting to come inside when officers arrived at their home.

Adam Harrison said Rosco was cowering in the corner by the door with his ears back when he looked outside.

"When his ears were down, that meant he was scared," Adam Harrison said.

He said as he opened the door, it hit Rosco causing the dog to bolt toward the officers, who had spotlights and guns aimed at the dog.

"It looked like they brought out the SWAT team to take down a bear," he said.

By the time he reached the edge of the carport, Adam Harrison said the dog was about 10 feet away from police and they fired.

John Harrison pointed out that his son was in the line of fire, as were two other people sitting inside the house.

Adam Harrison said he took the dog into the kitchen and attempted to stop the bleeding, then repeatedly asked officers to move their cars so he could take Rosco to a veterinarian.

At one point, he said one of the officers said to him, "We can drag him back outside and put another bullet in his head and end this s---."

When the officer that shot the dog wanted to go and retrieve the animal control vehicle, Adam Harrison said the same officer asked why he wanted to get blood all over the new truck.

Animal control arrived about 45 minutes after the shooting, the Harrisons said.

Rosco died en route, police said. But Adam Harrison said his dog was dead in the kitchen.

asurfaholic
08-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Sick. Just sick.

AFPVet
08-27-2011, 01:42 PM
When will people learn. The neighbors called the police... they are just as guilty for the death of this dog. How many times do people have to be told not to call the police about a dog unless they truly wanted the dog dead.

pcosmar
08-27-2011, 03:39 PM
When will people learn. The neighbors called the police... they are just as guilty for the death of this dog. How many times do people have to be told not to call the police about a dog unless they truly wanted the dog dead.

I have had neighbors like that. PITA to the whole neighborhood.

I large reason that I hate cities. That and hearing the neighbors toilet flush.

Rael
08-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Could have been prevented by keeping the dog confined. Sad story :(

Dr.3D
08-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Police were called to Richland East Circle when a dog allegedly growled and showed his teeth to some neighbors Wednesday night, Police Chief Russel James.

Yeah... showed his teeth huh....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmu9hUUwGYo&feature=related

Sometimes a dog will show his teeth and confuse the uninitiated.

Invi
08-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Aussie Shepherds "smile" sometimes. I wonder how many of them are shot by police. Nevermind they're wagging their whole damn body at the same time.

I feel bad for the guy and the dog, but if you're in a town, why the hell is your animal not on a lead or in a fence?
Some animals are very well trained and super well behaved, sure, but there are always circumstances that can arise to make even the most tame dog bare his/her teeth.

pcosmar
08-27-2011, 05:08 PM

Let the dogs run free and confine the idiot neighbors.
:(

Anti Federalist
08-27-2011, 05:10 PM

How do you know the entire yard was not fenced in?

The dog was in the carport of the owner's home.

Even keeping your dogs in cages in the house won't keep them safe from cops.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/russ-belville/columbia-missouri-swat-ki_b_567172.html

There is no blame to be assigned here, other than to a trigger happy cop who rolled out with his buddies, looking to light somebody up.

At one point, he said one of the officers said to him, "We can drag him back outside and put another bullet in his head and end this shit."

pacodever
08-27-2011, 05:11 PM
I don't think this was a case of neglect on the owners according to their statement:

The Harrisons said Rosco, who loved Cheetos and tuna fish, had slipped the fence for only the second time in four years.

I would hate to be judged as a bad pet owner for the rare instances my dogs bolted out the door and took a tour of the neighborhood.

And it looks like the neighbor who called the cops was a 16 year old girl who didn't know any better. Well, one dead dog later, now she knows

Emily Stevens, 16, who lives on the same street, said around dark she noticed a dog she didn't recognize in her neighbor's yard. "I tried to go catch it, and it wouldn't let me catch it, and it kinda growled at me, so I called the cops to come get it," Stevens said.

My main concern is that the owner stated that his son and two others were in the line of fire. Why isn't more discretion used when discharging firearms in a residential area? Why aren't police cruisers equipped with snare poles and officers trained to attempt to control the animal first? Seems like a small investment of funds (maybe buy one less assault rifle) and a two hour training session for police officers could save a lot of grief.

pcosmar
08-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Seems like a small investment of funds (maybe buy one less assault rifle) and a two hour training session for police officers could save a lot of grief.

That is assuming they actually give a shit about your grief.

Assumes facts not in Evidence.

pacodever
08-27-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm referring to saving the police some grief too in addressing the PR nightmare of shooting family pets, the loss of public trust, and the costs and lost man hours of the investigations that apparently take weeks to complete and often by another agency. Not to mention dealing with any "collateral" damage of discharging firearms in a residential area.

Police officers properly trained to deal with animals and diffuse what is a fairly common situation without discharging their firearms seems like a smart idea to me.

Carehn
08-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Poor dog.

I wonder why less and less people give a crap when a cop is shot dead. Lord knows i could not care less.

In this day and age you are the bad guy if your a cop.

Is it wrong for me to hope that one day the cops responsible for all these dog deaths will get to be on the other end, as in they get to retire one day only to have the swat show up and kill their dog and then make fun about it.

But that would just be the death of another dog.

We have to put a stop to these savages. I feel the best way to do it is to always advocate defunding them and NEVER call them. Not even if you find a dead body.

pacodever
08-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Or perhaps they could hire some children to do their job...

http://www.lenconnect.com/archive/x713418106/g12c0000000000000000b773ee2d1981ea90ecc8f67a5b1aa7 e617b2e94.jpg

http://www.lenconnect.com/archive/x404073167/g12c0000000000000004e7b96da33eddf3eeaee3d284bdf481 9379d8db9.jpg

pcosmar
08-27-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm referring to saving the police some grief too in addressing the PR nightmare of shooting family pets, the loss of public trust, and the costs and lost man hours of the investigations that apparently take weeks to complete and often by another agency. Not to mention dealing with any "collateral" damage of discharging firearms in a residential area.

Police officers properly trained to deal with animals and diffuse what is a fairly common situation without discharging their firearms seems like a smart idea to me.

I would prefer to see them sued out of existence. And the entire concept of police vanish from memory.

http://www.constitution.org/lrev/roots/cops.htm

Anti Federalist
08-27-2011, 05:39 PM
The Harrisons said Rosco, who loved Cheetos and tuna fish, had slipped the fence for only the second time in four years.

So, he was in a fenced yard.

asurfaholic
08-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Trigger happy turds. Maybe the fence didn't extend around the carport, but the dog was not a threat to anyones life. They should have to demonstrate their LIFE was in jeapordy before discharging a weapon, especially in a residential area.

If you respond to a house and a dog bites you, its a trip to the doctor. Shoot, the cops carry billy sticks.... that should be more than sufficiant to protect yourself from a dog bite. I think people should target the homes of the cops responsible and kill something they love.

Rael
08-27-2011, 06:34 PM
So, he was in a fenced yard.
Nope, he had slipped out.

I'm not blaming anyone other than the cops. I'm just saying that keeping your pets confined can prevent these types of situations from occurring.

Philhelm
08-27-2011, 07:26 PM
My dog always shows her teeth when she greets me at the door. It looks somewhat vicious, but she's just really, really excited.

affa
08-28-2011, 11:55 AM
poor pup, very sad to here. as always.

this epidemic of dog killing by police is sickening. it's become SOP, just like tazing people.

DamianTV
08-28-2011, 06:06 PM
In many ways Cops think of the people that call them for help to be no better than the dogs they shoot.

Kylie
08-28-2011, 06:57 PM
In many ways Cops think of the people that call them for help to be no better than the dogs they shoot.

This, I think, is precisely it.

They find no value in a life, no matter what it is. And they have the authority to kill any of us anytime they feel "threatened".

It's getting quickly out of control.

anaconda
08-28-2011, 07:00 PM
I would move to any state in the union that enacted a no dog ordinance.

pcosmar
08-28-2011, 07:19 PM

What a sad state that would be.

http://www.uniquesquared.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/sad-dog_l.jpg

Anti Federalist
08-28-2011, 07:40 PM

Why the dog hate?

http://www.dogs-central.com/dog-breeds/images/newfoundland-dog/newfoundland-dog_image2.jpg

Icymudpuppy
08-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Where I live, the cops would never be called on a dog running. It would just never come home. Keep your dogs at home, folks.

Dr.3D
08-28-2011, 08:02 PM
What a sad state that would be.

http://www.uniquesquared.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/sad-dog_l.jpg

Yeah............ gotta love the puppies.

truelies
08-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Dog shooting by police questioned

Pet was cowering in carport, owner says; chief says it rushed officers, had to be killed

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20110826/NEWS/108260354/Dog-shooting-by-police-questioned?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

RICHLAND — Controversy swirls around whether a Richland police officer was justified in shooting a family pet after receiving a complaint about a vicious dog.

An officer shot the dog after it became aggressive and rushed several officers when its owner stepped outside his home around 8:40 p.m.
"The dog posed a serious threat," James said.

But John Harrison, the dog's owner, and his son, Adam, tell a different story about Rosco. They say the 4-year-old German shepherd was under their carport waiting to come inside when officers arrived at their home.

Adam Harrison said Rosco was cowering in the corner by the door with his ears back when he looked outside.

"When his ears were down, that meant he was scared," Adam Harrison said.

He said as he opened the door, it hit Rosco causing the dog to bolt toward the officers, who had spotlights and guns aimed at the dog.

By the time he reached the edge of the carport, Adam Harrison said the dog was about 10 feet away from police and they fired.

John Harrison pointed out that his son was in the line of fire, as were two other people sitting inside the house.

Adam Harrison said he took the dog into the kitchen and attempted to stop the bleeding, then repeatedly asked officers to move their cars so he could take Rosco to a veterinarian.

At one point, he said one of the officers said to him, "We can drag him back outside and put another bullet in his head and end this s---."

When the officer that shot the dog wanted to go and retrieve the animal control vehicle, Adam Harrison said the same officer asked why he wanted to get blood all over the new truck.

Animal control arrived about 45 minutes after the shooting, the Harrisons said.

Rosco died en route, police said. But Adam Harrison said his dog was dead in the kitchen.

hmmmmm, there was another case along these lines in the past couple weeks where the American reflexively blew the barney away. No tears wasted on the cop & I sincerely hope the jury lets the pet owner walk.

truelies
08-28-2011, 08:08 PM

liberal democrat aint'cha

Philhelm
08-28-2011, 09:05 PM

I would move to any state in the union that enacted a no cop ordinance.

anaconda
08-29-2011, 01:46 AM
Why the dog hate?

http://www.dogs-central.com/dog-breeds/images/newfoundland-dog/newfoundland-dog_image2.jpg

Don't hate dogs. Just hate the barking and the clueless and indifferent owners that think it's OK.

anaconda
08-29-2011, 01:46 AM
liberal democrat aint'cha

Nope. 10th Amendment.

Oddone
08-29-2011, 02:01 AM
When I was in college I worked as security for a local Hospital, I got an interesting insight into how police and dispatch can miss-handle animal situations.

I was told by a nurse we had a dog in the parking lot running around. I went and checked it out, when I got out there I found a female mixed pit with no tags. She was a little scared but very friendly. After getting her over to me she rolled over and was playful. I called the non-emergency number to get Animal control to come pick her up. About 10 minutes later 3 cop cars and Animal control showed up. I was sitting there petting the dog, when they rolled up. When I asked why so many people came they said a Vicious dog had been reported roaming in the parking lot of the Hospital. I assured them this was not the case, and they could see that. The cops left shortly and I spoke with the Animal Control Officer, who said it wasn't the first time local dispatch had called out incorrectly on situations such as these.

truelies
08-29-2011, 07:26 AM
Nope. 10th Amendment.

Doubtful. No decent person displays your vile hatred of dogs.

Krugerrand
08-29-2011, 07:59 AM

rep-worthy.

Kylie
08-29-2011, 09:34 AM

Hey now, some people are just cat people.

Not that I understand cat people AT ALL, but some are. :D

anaconda
08-29-2011, 11:03 AM

Wrong. You didn't read post #31 above. I like dogs, actually, except for their barking which has much more to do with their clueless and self-centered owners. To call this "vile hatred" is very wrong. I have found the vast majority of dog owners to be astonishingly myopic and irresponsible. Your liberal democrat theory is easily debunked by my 6,000+ posts. I just happen to be very averse to dogs' barking. It's just a fact. I don't like it. Why would you assert some political ideology based upon this? Thank you for censoring my 1st Amendment protected point of view.

pcosmar
08-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Wrong. You didn't read post #31 above. I like dogs, actually, except for their barking which has much more to do with their clueless and self-centered owners. To call this "vile hatred" is wrong and indecent in itself. I have found the vast majority of dog owners to be astonishingly myopic and irresponsible. Your liberal democrat theory is easily debunked by my 6,000+ posts. I just happen to be very averse to dogs' barking. It's just a fact. I don't like it. Why would you assert some political ideology based upon this? Thank you for censoring my 1st Amendment protected point of view.

Dogs barking has little to do with their owners and more to do with their vocal cords.

BTW, what about birds ? They are some noisy creatures as well.
My neighbor has cows, They are easily as loud as my dogs and there are a great many more of them.
Coyotes as well,, every night.

The Cranes are huge and very loud birds. And when geese are migrating,,,,,,

Worse of all is when I visit a city and am assaulted by what some people call "music". Gaaahh !

Dr.3D
08-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Dogs barking has little to do with their owners and more to do with their vocal cords.

My neighbor has cows, They are easily as loud as my dogs and there are a great many more of them.

Worse of all is when I visit a city and am assaulted by what some people call "music". Gaaahh !

Well, my dog, was dogs would bark all night if I kept them outdoors. My dog wants to be with me and if she wasn't, she would bark about it. It really ticks me off how many people will get a dog, only to keep it chained outdoors like some kind of lawn ornament.

I believe a dog is a companion, not some kind of object to be kept around as a tool or ornament.

specsaregood
08-29-2011, 12:03 PM

I hate birds, noisy bastards. I would gladly move to a state with a no-bird ordinance.

Pericles
08-29-2011, 01:50 PM

+rep

Anti Federalist
08-29-2011, 01:58 PM

Reps

DamianTV
08-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Does anyone know if these Dog Killing Cops have dogs of their own? Any dog owner would not shoot someone elses dog unless it was absolutely unaviodable, like the dog was rabid. But when it comes to shooting fenced and kenneled chihuahuas because the prick Cop feels like he needs to take his pent up aggression on something living, we know that it wont be long before that same Cop ends up shooting a human being. Ok, so second question. Anyone know if any Cop that has taken a human life in their "Duty as a Police Officer" has ever killed a Dog in their "Duty"?

anaconda
08-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Well, my dog, was dogs would bark all night if I kept them outdoors. My dog wants to be with me and if she wasn't, she would bark about it. It really ticks me off how many people will get a dog, only to keep it chained outdoors like some kind of lawn ornament.

I believe a dog is a companion, not some kind of object to be kept around as a tool or ornament.

You sound like one of the rare responsible dog owners.

anaconda
08-29-2011, 06:05 PM

Careless owners subject their dogs to anxiety creating situations. Canines in the wild don't bark. They howl or growl. I'm fine with most natural animal kingdom sounds. Howling wolves sound beautiful to my ears, for example. Barking domesticated canine breeds sound alarming and obnoxious (to me). I love the sound of geese. Come to think of it, I have been known to shoo away big black crows.

Icymudpuppy
08-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Careless owners subject their dogs to anxiety creating situations. Canines in the wild don't bark. They howl or growl. I'm fine with most natural animal kingdom sounds. Howling wolves sound beautiful to my ears, for example. Barking domesticated canine breeds sound alarming and obnoxious (to me). I love the sound of geese. Come to think of it, I have been known to shoo away big black crows.

Dogs were specifically bred to have loud obnoxious alarming barks. Almost all dog breeds regardless of other purpose have secondary duty as Guard animals. As such, they are supposed to wake you up in the event of an emergency. The problem is, their primary breeding often ends up being equated with "emergency" in their mind. Thus, hunting dogs bark at wildlife, not just suspicious passersby. Shepherds bark at livestock. Companion dogs bark when alone, etc. This instinct to bark at anything that their brain labels as a priority can be trained out of some dogs, but some breeds are notoriously hard to train, and there can be variation among individuals. The older a dog gets the less it will bark, and thus the training that seemed ineffective for the pup, may finally show some results when the dog matures. How do you keep the neighbors from wanting to kill you and the dog in the meantime?

My dog is a terrier. He likes to go outside and bark at the wildlife. When he was a pup, I had to lock him in the house at night to keep him from keeping me and half the prairie up all night. Locked inside, he would whine at the door keeping just me up. He eventually learned that he can bark during the day, but that barking at night was reserved for prowlers and property invasions only.

Since the squirrels and starlings are the only things that hang around in the daytime, he doesn't bark as much as he used to.

pcosmar
08-29-2011, 06:19 PM

Almost forgot about the Crows, Don't know how,, I converse with them often. (though they won't admit it)
my dogs Bark,,, At cows, cars coming up the driveway,, when Honey comes home. They talk. It just sounds like barking.

mine are not neglected nor confined. They are indoors unless they want to go out, (they tell me) If they are out they tell me when they want in.
Barking is one (and only one) way they communicate.

DamianTV
08-29-2011, 06:43 PM
Getting dogs to not bark is not that difficult. All you have to do is make the dog aware that you are paying attention to whatever it is barking at. Getting cops to not shoot dogs is a lot more difficult.

Icymudpuppy
08-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Getting dogs to not bark is not that difficult. All you have to do is make the dog aware that you are paying attention to whatever it is barking at. Getting cops to not shoot dogs is a lot more difficult.

That would make my dog bark more.

bolil
08-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Dogs are predators, pigs are insictively afraid of predators. But I don't know why the cops shot it... How many times? Was it a panic oriented discharge?

truelies
09-03-2011, 01:16 PM
..................... Why would you assert some political ideology based upon this? .................

because liberal and demanding that the State compel others to conform to one's ridiculous whiny whims kinda go together.