PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we vote online?

smartguy911
08-27-2011, 09:49 AM
When it comes to voting, why don't we have the option to vote online? Imagine millions of lazy people who choose not to vote get on the computer to vote during general election..

Voter fraud probably won't exits because set of security questions can be asked for verification that only the voter will know. If users fail verification, they go in person to vote.

KevinR
08-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Sounds good, I think Anon supports us anyway!

pcosmar
08-27-2011, 10:06 AM
When it comes to voting, why don't we have the option to vote online? Imagine millions of lazy people who choose not to vote get on the computer to vote during general election..

Voter fraud probably won't exits because set of security questions can be asked for verification that only the voter will know. If users fail verification, they go in person to vote.

A great many people do not used computers and are even opposed to them.
But aside from that, how would votes and voters be verified? Who would build a system,, and can they be trusted?

Imagine,,? I can imagine much,, both good and very bad.

Liberty4life
08-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Get online and vote at diebold.com !! signup is free !!

Vote online really? that would allow your vote to be heard better, cant have that.

Unless they can control your vote.

Why not go back to old fashion box ballots, with grandma and grandpa counting votes.

robertwerden
08-27-2011, 10:40 AM
We could go door to door and find people who don't want to vote and help them vote for Ron Paul. Oh wait, so could the other candidates.

TCE
08-27-2011, 10:44 AM
For the first few election cycles, we would probably do extremely well since Ron Paul owns the internet. Basically, they're worried about security even though that should be pretty easy to secure. Should be an option, if nothing else.

Proph
08-27-2011, 11:05 AM
A great many people do not used computers and are even opposed to them.
But aside from that, how would votes and voters be verified? Who would build a system,, and can they be trusted?

Imagine,,? I can imagine much,, both good and very bad.

Prozactly. I used to be a CS major and we had a discussion about this in one of the ethical classes. Even the most die-hard techie in there said it was a bad idea, simply because it would be too easy to rig elections. Replace the paper ballots with something else? Maybe. But you still need a hard copy somewhere of how you voted.

goopc
08-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Oh God, online voting would unleash the true evil that is democracy. Imagine masses of people, ignorant of economics and envious of their neighbors' wealth. All it takes for them to for to get freebies from the government is a couple minutes online at www.voting.gov

Democracy doesn't work (http://www.lewrockwell.com/hoppe/hoppe4.html)... even with the internet.

Ronpauljones
08-27-2011, 12:11 PM

That would just be even more votes that would be easy to rig.

angelatc
08-27-2011, 12:12 PM

Is it really too much to ask that people come up out of their basements every 4 years?

Occam's Banana
08-27-2011, 12:52 PM
when it comes to voting, why don't we have the option to vote online?
question asked ... ^

imagine millions of lazy people who choose not to vote get on the computer to vote during general election..
... and question answered ^

voter fraud probably won't exi[st] [...]
:eek:

peterv
08-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Too easy to hack. End of story.

Anti Federalist
08-27-2011, 02:11 PM

Bad idea, from a security aspect, fraud aspect and participation aspect.

Why in the world would I want millions of lazy, uneducated people voting?

I wish more half of the people that vote now, would stay the hell home

smartguy911
08-27-2011, 02:30 PM

Even if website is hacked, the vote won't be registered if the security questions are not answered properly. Do you think hackers will gather all the information for everyone and be able to answer the set of security questions prior to voting?

Why even record a vote that fails to go through security questions?

What if the verification system requires going through 2-3 third party verification before the vote is registered? If hackers wants to get in, they have to hack voting website and third party websites to do voter fraud.

It will have audit trail for better tracking and only vote that is verified from 2-3 third parties should be registered. Voting records will stay on the servers of third parties and also the main voting website. When voting is done, data from third parties and main voting website will be matched for verification. If numbers match, there is no voter fraud.

I am sure there are flaws but that's why people test and keep testing until it's perfect. There is a solution to everything and this idea of staying in the past sounds really stupid to me. Excuses left and right.

DamianTV
08-27-2011, 02:34 PM
He who votes has no power at all. He who counts the votes has all the power in the world.

TastyWheat
08-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Prozactly. I used to be a CS major and we had a discussion about this in one of the ethical classes. Even the most die-hard techie in there said it was a bad idea, simply because it would be too easy to rig elections. Replace the paper ballots with something else? Maybe. But you still need a hard copy somewhere of how you voted.
I wrote a paper on voting systems in one of my graduate CS classes and online voting definitely has too many risks. Hacking aside, online voting would make it extremely easy to prove who you voted for. This means you could either be forced to vote for someone at the barrel of a gun or you could get paid to vote for someone (coercion). That's what the ballot booth avoids, so I think those should always be used. A paper trail isn't 100% necessary, but it's definitely an easier solution. Don't assume you can't forge or simply miscount paper ballots though.

pcosmar
08-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Even if website is hacked, the vote won't be registered if the security questions are not answered properly. Do you think hackers will gather all the information for everyone and be able to answer the set of security questions prior to voting?

What if the verification system requires going through 2-3 third party verification before the vote is registered? If hackers wants to get in, they have to hack voting website and third party websites to do voter fraud.

It will have audit trail for better tracking and only vote that is verified from 2-3 third parties should be registered. Voting records will stay on the servers of third parties and also the main voting website. When voting is done, data from third parties and main voting website will be matched for verification. If numbers match, there is no voter fraud.

I am sure there are flaws but that's why people test and keep testing until it's perfect. There is a solution to everything and this idea of staying in the past sounds really stupid to me. Excuses left and right.

What about the huge data base created for this?
And the likelihood (NOT) that it would stay private?

NO, Thank You !

Why would you want to give the government MORE power and MORE opportunity to fuck up?

Teaser Rate
08-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Bad idea, from a security aspect, fraud aspect and participation aspect.

Why in the world would I want millions of lazy, uneducated people voting?

I wish more half of the people that vote now, would stay the hell home

Which half?

erowe1
08-27-2011, 04:31 PM
We have too many people voting as it is.

erowe1
08-27-2011, 04:32 PM

Is that an argument in favor, or against?

Anti Federalist
08-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Which half?

Your half?

Har har har...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH5p5iMEbrE&feature=related

VBRonPaulFan
08-27-2011, 05:13 PM

There are a million different ways for people to abuse this type of system. DDoS, man in the middle attacks, social engineering attacks, etc. Most of these types of attacks don't even have a damn thing to do with the site or application itself. Then you have the huge task of verification. It can't be so complex that it deters people from voting, it could probably really only be you need to enter your SSN, your name as it appears on your SS card, and a captcha. Well, what happens if someone hacks a database for a mom & pop accounting firm, or a major tax prep business' database of clients? They could then wash thousands and thousands of votes in their favor. It is just a really bad idea, imo.

heavenlyboy34
08-27-2011, 05:18 PM
He who votes has no power at all. He who counts the votes has all the power in the world.qft!!!

R3volutionJedi
08-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Voter fraud. Paper ballots are the only honest way to go.

Rael
08-27-2011, 06:41 PM
We don't need lazy people having any additional influence.

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Paper with all parties involved counting, plus additionally CCTV released to the public after the counting is finished would probably help a bit. Of course you cannot eliminate voter fraud, but whatever makes it more difficult the better.

AgentOrange
08-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Internet voting...one of those things that sounds good on paper, but really would be horrendous from a practical application. Way to easy for votes to be bribed/forced, and way too easy for the counting center to change votes. Voting really isn't that difficult, and absentee voting is a valid option for those who can't get out of their basement.

kah13176
08-27-2011, 07:20 PM
If people won't get up and take the 10 minutes to vote like you do today, then I'm not sure I want those people voting anyways.