PDA

View Full Version : New FEC ruling permits Ron Paul to speak & fundraise for SuperPAC

AdamT
08-26-2011, 03:10 PM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff189/adamtro/likeaboss2.jpg

http://www.revolutionpac.com/2011/08/new-fec-ruling-permits-ron-paul-to-speak-and-fund-raise-for-super-pac/

Alexander Burns of Politico recently reported on a new FEC Ruling that creates a stunning opportunity for Ron Paul to put his weight behind the Revolution Super PAC. In the article Burns quotes Peter Stone’s report from the Center for Public Integrity:

“The FEC in its advisory ruling last month reaffirmed that members of Congress and presidential candidates can attend and speak at events hosted by independent super PACs, but they are personally not allowed to solicit the unlimited funds, only contributions up to $5,000 per year.”

This revelation was also affirmed recently by Politico’s Kenneth Vogel:

“Under the ruling, they can even attend fundraisers for them at which unlimited checks are collected “so long as the officeholders, candidates, and officers of national party committees restrict any solicitations they make to funds subject to the limitations, prohibitions, and reporting requirements” of federal campaign laws.”

Restore our Future, the Super PAC formed by Mitt Romney supporters, raised over 12 million dollars when Romney simply stood behind his PAC. Ron Paul now has the opportunity to challenge Romney’s Super PAC by simply speaking and soliciting support for the Revolution PAC. The question remains, will he?

In a quote to Vogel, Jesse Benton, Ron Paul’s Campaign Chairman took a hard line against any communications with the PAC, “The expert legal advice I received was that all contact must be avoided, and failing to do so would put Dr. Paul, our campaign and the PAC organizers in jeopardy of civil and criminal penalties.”

The FEC issued a press release on the Ruling known as “Advisory Opinion 2011-12” that explicitly concluded:

“Federal candidates and officeholders and officers of national party committees may solicit contributions up to $5,000 from individuals and federal political committees on behalf of the PACs.”

The Commission further concluded:

“Consistent with current Commission regulations, that federal officeholders and candidates and officers of national party committees may attend, speak at and be featured guests at fundraisers at which unlimited individual, corporate and labor organization contributions are solicited to make contributions to the PACs, so long as they restrict any solicitation they make to funds subject to the limitations, prohibitions and reporting requirements [under section 441(e)] of the Act.”

FEC law prohibits the Ron Paul Presidential Campaign to have “coordinated communication on independent expenditures” with the Revolution PAC, meaning they can’t tell the PAC how to spend money they raise. However this ruling opens the door for communication to begin, allowing Ron Paul to fully support and solicit contributions for the Revolution PAC’s efforts.

Given the weight of this ruling “contact” would certainly occur between the Campaign and the Super PAC to coordinate solicitation of contributions and speaking engagements. This ruling removes any legal restraints that Benton has been advised on absolving him of the need to enforce his “all contact must be avoided” position.

The SuperPAC has the powerful ability to accept unlimited donations, as long as the funds get spent on communications, ie TV ads, billboards, etc. The official campaign has a $2400/person limit during the primary. Essentially a person wealthy enough, with a single large donation to RevPAC, could fund a powerful TV ad run that could thoroughly saturate both IA and NH, and really make a difference in the upcoming caucuses & primaries. We're hoping the official campaign will review the same FEC docs we did and come to a similar conclusion.

Pheonix
08-26-2011, 03:32 PM
WOW, this is huge! Would you recommend any action on our part, e.g. for us to forward this press release to the campaign?

angelatc
08-26-2011, 03:45 PM
That is indeed excellent news. Hopefully Matt will personally pass this FEC decision along to the campaign's legal team, and we'll get a more current answer soon!

AdamT
08-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Bump

eduardo89
08-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Are Super PAC donors always disclosed? What groups can raise anonymous cash?

MRoCkEd
08-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Sounds like he should send out requests to his maxed out donors.

CaptainAmerica
08-26-2011, 06:37 PM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff189/adamtro/likeaboss.jpg

http://www.revolutionpac.com/2011/08/new-fec-ruling-permits-ron-paul-to-speak-and-fund-raise-for-super-pac/

The SuperPAC has the powerful ability to accept unlimited donations, as long as the funds get spent on communications, ie TV ads, billboards, etc. The official campaign has a $2400/person limit during the primary. Essentially a person wealthy enough, with a single large donation to RevPAC, could fund a powerful TV ad run that could thoroughly saturate both IA and NH, and really make a difference in the upcoming caucuses & primaries. We're hoping the official campaign will review the same FEC docs we did and come to a similar conclusion. :) I put that RP pic together ;P

Ronpauljones
08-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Amazing news. Lets win this.

eduardo89
08-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Sounds like he should send out requests to his maxed out donors.He should send John Mackey a letter.

Peter Schiff hopefully will donate a good amount to the Rev PAC

CaptainAmerica
08-26-2011, 06:39 PM
what does this mean about other superpacs?

eduardo89
08-26-2011, 06:40 PM
what does this mean about other superpacs?Why does President Paul have a picture of the Obama girls behind him?

Esoteric
08-26-2011, 06:40 PM
They should hold a fundraiser, and have Ron speak, among others.

CaptainAmerica
08-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Why does President Paul have a picture of the Obama girls behind him? the real question is ,where is the cookie jar?

eduardo89
08-26-2011, 06:54 PM
the real question is ,where is the cookie jar?He went to rehab for that addiction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvnfmWsLbsY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k95hkoLxENY

Ethek
08-26-2011, 06:58 PM
I would expect a whole lot of silence from the campaign about any association of Ron and the Super PAC. Don't be too frustrated.

AdamT
08-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Why does President Paul have a picture of the Obama girls behind him?

Hmm, who's that on the pic now?

the real question is ,where is the cookie jar?

Refresh the OP :)

AdamT
08-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Are Super PAC donors always disclosed? What groups can raise anonymous cash?

Donors over $200/calendar year have to be reported just like a regular PAC. I believe 501(c)4's can keep their donors anonymous (like CFL).

asurfaholic
08-26-2011, 09:43 PM
:) I put that RP pic together ;P Looks like he has really short legs

Corydoras
08-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Sounds like he should send out requests to his maxed out donors.

I really hope they do. Maxed-out donors aren't necessarilyi super-rich. Just being able to donate a few hundred more dollars to the cause is a great thing.

angelatc
08-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Hmm, who's that on the pic now?

Refresh the OP :)

+rep! LOL

Napoleon's Shadow
08-26-2011, 09:51 PM
It still may not be wise for Ron or the campaign to associate with RevPAC for a variety of other reasons.

angelatc
08-26-2011, 09:56 PM
It still may not be wise for Ron or the campaign to associate with RevPAC for a variety of other reasons.

Really? Do tell.

We all know how important it is for you to get attention over these type things. I can assure you I'm on the edge of my seat, waiting for that inside scoop that only an official campaign person can provide....

notsure
08-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Are internationals, non usa citizens, allowed to contribute to these super pacs?

Corydoras
08-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Are internationals, non usa citizens, allowed to contribute to these super pacs?

Only if they have permanent resident status.