PDA

View Full Version : WSJ: Obamanonics vs. Reaganomics

foofighter20x
08-26-2011, 10:51 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904875404576530412322260784.html

If you really want to light the fuse of a liberal Democrat, compare Barack Obama's economic performance after 30 months in office with that of Ronald Reagan. It's not at all flattering for Mr. Obama.

:D

Ekrub
08-26-2011, 11:29 AM
If Reagan had coupled that with 200 billion in spending cuts then we would be talking some good shit.

iamse7en
08-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Here are some rarely-mentioned facts about the Reagan administration:

Reagan raised taxes 6 times (including the then-two biggest tax increases in American history)
The nation's annual tax load increased by 65% under "Reaganomics"
The debt ceiling was hiked 18 times
He increased national debt by $1.9 trillion
Grew federal budget by 69%, $678 billion to $2.3 trillion
Bailed out Social Security ponzi scheme, paving the way for even bigger bailouts in the future
Appointed Alan Greenspan, who almost single-handedly created the two biggest bubbles we've ever seen (dot-com & housing)

foofighter20x
08-26-2011, 11:57 AM

Reagan raised taxes 6 times (including the then-two biggest tax increases in American history)
Bailed out Social Security ponzi scheme, paving the way for even bigger bailouts in the future
Appointed Alan Greenspan, who almost single-handedly created the two biggest bubbles we've ever seen (dot-com & housing)

So... How much of that happened within the first 30 months of Reagan's administration? Because until you tell use that, all of this is irrelevant to the comparison being made here.

Rothbardian Girl
08-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Both systems sucked (and continue to suck in Obamanomics' case). There shouldn't be a choice between supply-side and Keynesian bullshit IMO.

Murray Rothbard wrote a scathing critique of the Reagan administration (something that still makes me chuckle with glee every time I read it)... http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard60.html if anyone is interested. The purely economic-related stuff is under the heading "The Reagan Years: Libertarian Rhetoric, Statist Policies".

Unfortunately in order to pander to the average conservative I guess we will have to emphasize Ron Paul's ties to Reagan, as much as these conservatives need to do a little more research.

noneedtoaggress
08-26-2011, 01:09 PM
hahahhahahaha those are nothing but silly buzzwords.

foofighter20x
08-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Both systems sucked (and continue to suck in Obamanomics' case). There shouldn't be a choice between supply-side and Keynesian bullshit IMO.

Murray Rothbard wrote a scathing critique of the Reagan administration (something that still makes me chuckle with glee every time I read it)... http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard60.html if anyone is interested. The purely economic-related stuff is under the heading "The Reagan Years: Libertarian Rhetoric, Statist Policies".

Unfortunately in order to pander to the average conservative I guess we will have to emphasize Ron Paul's ties to Reagan, as much as these conservatives need to do a little more research.

Thread winner.

josh b
08-26-2011, 01:32 PM

Ouch, that critique is harsh! It's true though.

Travlyr
08-26-2011, 01:51 PM

A couple more facts of interest about Ronald Reagan.

Reagan was shot on day 69 of his first term by John Hinckley, Jr.
The Hinckley family and Bush family were acquaintances.

The Associated Press (http://www.voxfux.com/features/hinckley_bush_connection.html)
Domestic News
March 31, 1981, Tuesday, PM cycle
HOUSTON
The family of the man charged with trying to assassinate President Reagan is acquainted with the family of Vice President George Bush and had made large contributions to his political campaign, the Houston Post reported today.

Scott Hinckley, brother of John W. Hinckley Jr., who allegedly shot Reagan, was to have dined tonight in Denver at the home of Neil Bush, one of the vice president's sons.

Reagan may have learned an important lesson on how to stay alive on Monday, March 30, 1981 ... One thing for sure, his policies no longer matched his earlier political rhetoric after that day.

Buchananite
08-26-2011, 04:07 PM
A

Reagan may have learned an important lesson on how to stay alive on Monday, March 30, 1981 ... One thing for sure, his policies no longer matched his earlier political rhetoric after that day.

Good point....of course it should be noted the Democrats controlled the House(spending) 100% of the time. He did compromise to get some things he wanted.