PDA

View Full Version : Did establishment Republicans in Kentucky help Rand Paul win the general?

orenbus
08-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Was just watching O'Reilly (I know, I know, was flipping through channels honest) and he was interviewing Christine Odonell, she mentioned that there was a major rift between her supports and her as a tea party candidate vs. establishment republicans in her state. She mentioned that she was ahead in the polls compared to the democrat candidate and had she had the support like Rand Paul had from the establishment republicans in Kentucky she would have won.

I'm curious did Rand get that much support from the establishment republicans in Kentucky during the general election?

Thanks.

AuH20
08-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Um. Rand crushed the establishment candidate and they basically had to coalesce around him. O'Donnell didn't show the same strength.

Agorism
08-25-2011, 09:53 PM
We slightly out raised Grayson.

Part of it is just money. We have a 50 state movement concentrating on winning one state allows us to out raise the "establishment," but once it becomes a national race everything changes.

I remember Guiliani having raising nearly 100 million dollars by this time in 07's.

Aratus
08-25-2011, 09:56 PM
had mitch mcconnell not wanted a Republican seated next to him in the senate, he'd have had jack conway
where rand is now. he and trey grayson were good sports. mcconnell wants to be majority leader someday.

VoluntaryAmerican
08-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Establishment did not help Rand. He earned it--Odnell is counting the last of her 15 seconds.

muh_roads
08-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Palin endorsed him. I think that was a big turning point that caused the sheep to follow.

SWATH
08-25-2011, 10:35 PM
No the establishment was against him at every turn. That is until he won then they tried to take credit for it.

orenbus
08-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Ok so it sounds like (from everyone's comments) once Rand secured the nomination by beating the establishment's candidate Trey Grayson, the establishment Republicans didn't like it, but they (influential ones) were forced to go along and help him beat the democrat candidate Jack Conway. They just didn't leave Rand to fend for himself (along with tea party support in Kentucky, Palin, etc.) against the democrat candidate in the general (the motivation being self serving, Mcconnell wanting to be majority leader).

orenbus
08-25-2011, 10:37 PM
No the establishment was against him at every turn. That is until he won then they tried to take credit for it.

Okay so you disagree with what I posted above?

sailingaway
08-25-2011, 10:46 PM
In the general, yes, but they made him commit going in, that he or Grayson would be at the 'Unity Dinner' supporting the other after the primary, regardless of which way it wen't. They were concerned the tea party people wouldn't back their choice. Rand agreed, and McConnell and the rest lived up to their side of the bargain, McConnell went the extra mile. Some others did, some didn't. But when the left attacked Rand as hard as the left did, the GOP had his back, and that is a fact. But Rand had an organization and strength of following that led the GOP to need his backing if he lost, so they made that offer. I don't think Christine O'D was ever in such a position of strength.

SWATH
08-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Okay so you disagree with what I posted above?

No you got it pretty accurately I think. Once he won the nomination it seems like they grudgingly went along and simply tried to make sure that a Republican beat a Democrat. I got the feeling that their acceptance of Rand was pretty tepid but as usual they put party before principle. I know they were fairly hostile before that though, I was privy to some inside info during that campaign that I won't write about:collins: but I would say they eventually fell in line with ensuring a partisan victory.

EDIT: Oh sorry I just re-read the title of the thread and realized you were talking about the general election, I was thinking of the primary.:toady:

TheDriver
08-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Was just watching O'Reilly (I know, I know, was flipping through channels honest) and he was interviewing Christine Odonell, she mentioned that there was a major rift between her supports and her as a tea party candidate vs. establishment republicans in her state. She mentioned that she was ahead in the polls compared to the democrat candidate and had she had the support like Rand Paul had from the establishment republicans in Kentucky she would have won.

I'm curious did Rand get that much support from the establishment republicans in Kentucky during the general election?

Thanks.

Yes, the Party rallied around his run (after the primary). And Karl Rove, through American Crossroads, spent millions pulverizing Jack Conway.

specsaregood
08-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Yes, the Party rallied around his run (after the primary). And Karl Rove, through American Crossroads, spent millions pulverizing Jack Conway.

To which they pretty much had to after Rand pulverized their pick in the primary.

orenbus
08-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Ok, thanks everyone for the info. :)

Aratus
08-25-2011, 11:27 PM
harvard university gave trey grayson a rather nice position. in a way, things were win/win!
jim bunning made a point. rand won the seat, not jack conway. the delicate balance that is
the senate numerically was going mitch's way despite the occasions when mitch and rand
are miles apart. ultimately this may even have let the KY Democratic Party articulate out its
basic principles. trey grayson can run for mitch's seat when he retires if kelley paul doesn't!

libertybrewcity
08-26-2011, 12:06 AM
the establishment is a large group of followers led by a few corrupt leaders.