PDA

View Full Version : The speech that will change the election!

ForLiberty2012
08-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Okay, perhaps that was a bit dramatic, but hey, who knows. As per a previous thread here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?310377-IDEA!-Collectively-writing-a-grassroots-speech-and-filming-all-of-us-reading-it), we are collectively going to film ourselves reading a speech, and merging them together into one video. Osan and I have been working on a speech, and believe that we have put together something good SO FAR!

Now we need your critiques/comments so that we can perfect the message we are trying to send and create something that MAY truly change this upcoming election. Also, if you would like to participate in this, or help in any other way, please let us know. (If you want to film yourself, get ahold of a 720p HD camera, with a frame rate of 30p or 24p... start looking now because this is going to be soon... we need this to look professional!) See the speech below:

Thanks for your help!

If you want peace, vote for Ron Paul!

Dr. Ron Paul is the only candidate who WILL bring our troops home. As a US military veteran, his constitutional foreign policy would correct our misguided diplomacy by removing the United States from the international entanglements that have led to a decade of ever expanding foreign aggression. War threatens our security, places our brave men and women in the military at risk, and erodes our prosperity by burdening taxpayers with trillions of dollars of debt.

Ron Paul believes in a strong national defense and protecting our borders, not in using our force abroad for unconstitutional and immoral interventionist aggression that is reducing the United States to the status of a resented global bully while propelling us toward economic failure. Ron Paul’s message of peace is resonating with Americans, including members of the military. Since the 2008 campaign, Ron Paul has consistently received more donations from the military than any other candidate, and just recently received more donations than ALL republican candidates COMBINED.
These soldiers understand the importance of clear direction guided by sound principle. They fight for freedom, not conquest, and embrace the most freedom-loving candidate in the field. Ron Paul understands that our government was created to allow the pursuit of happiness and that our soldiers currently serve, not as defenders of our nation but as targets for our enemies. Let them serve proudly, but let them serve briefly with clear aims and necessary goals. Peace through strength means that unjust war is not the fulfillment of policy but the representation of its failure.

If you believe that our government is too big and that its spending is out of control, vote for Ron Paul!

Over the course of his 12 terms in Congress, Dr. Paul has never once voted for a tax increase, nor has he ever voted for an unbalanced budget! Ron Paul has never voted to raise congressional pay or to increase the power of government. Our nation is in a state of crisis and we need a leader who will steadfastly say “no” to rapid government growth and spending on the backs of the American people. Ron Paul has been the leading voice for a limited government since his first days in congress in 1976, guided by principle over politics.

Ron Paul believes that the federal government’s role is simple: to protect our rights and freedoms as individuals; not to run our lives. To that end, Ron Paul has stated that he would like to phase out the IRS, and offer alternatives for Americans to opt of the system of debt and entitlements. It is Dr. Paul's goal to hold the Federal Reserve Bank transparent to the citizens, accountable to them for their actions, and ending the unchecked printing of money which is causing runaway inflation, a root cause of our loss of wealth. He believes in the free market, that the only true solution to our economic crisis is not government intervention through regulation, bail-outs, and manipulating interest rates, but by allowing the market to correct itself naturally.

Dr. Paul's message of limited government has been resonating. His 2008 presidential campaign sparked a revolution and inspired a movement called the Tea Party, which advocates following our constitution through limited government and fiscal responsibility, a broad departure from the current policies under which this nation operates, which are driving it toward bankruptcy, and threatening the global economy.

If you want consistency and honesty, and not the same old political rhetoric, vote for Ron Paul!

If you are fed up with broken promises, phony political rhetoric, rising unemployment, warfare and deceit from our government, then challenge the status quo and vote for Ron Paul! Ron Paul has consistently voted based on principle, not for political position or popularity.

Vote for someone you can trust: vote for Ron Paul! Dr. Paul has spent his entire political tenure as a US Representative fighting for the return to a free, just, and prosperous nation. Ron Paul remains the most consistent member of congress in his defense of personal liberty, as well as strictly limiting the government to the provisions of the United States Constitution. If it is not explicitly authorized in the Constitution or if it infringes on our civil liberties, Ron Paul routinely votes “No”. We need someone with personal integrity, good values, and a track record to back up his talk. That someone is Ron Paul!

If you believe in living your life as you wish, and not by government dictates, vote for Ron Paul!

Ron Paul takes personal freedom very seriously and as such believes in liberty for all. Liberty to live, work, worship, play, love, and generally act in accord with the dictates of one's conscience, the only restriction being that against bringing harm to others. Again, his record speaks of itself: Ron Paul has never voted for any federal restriction on gun ownership. He voted against regulating the internet and voted against the Patriot ACT. He seeks not to exclude, marginalize, or otherwise abuse any peaceable persons. His inclusive message is one of peaceful, harmonious, happy, prosperous, and free coexistence for each person in a land overflowing with opportunity.

If you agree with what Ron Paul stands for, vote for him!

It doesn’t matter if you’re a democrat, republican, or independent. Ron Paul unites individuals of all races, backgrounds, religions, and political affiliations. His message is simple: for government to operate within the strict limits of the Constitution and for it to protect our personal liberties so that Americans can be free and prosperous and live out their lives as they wish. For all of this Ron Paul has been the leading voice for over thirty years.

As a fellow American who cares about this great nation we call home, the United States of America, I invite you to join the revolution. We can make this happen. We have a duty to ourselves, our families, friends, communities, our country, and to the rest of the world – to set the example and to restore peace, liberty, and prosperity for all.

Help restore America in 2012. You CAN do it if you act. Please spread the word and vote for Ron Paul!!!

Rocco
08-25-2011, 09:43 PM
How would one go about getting on a speech like this? I am very interested in doing it if it were possible? I am very well spoken and think I would be a good addition!

LibertasPraesidium
08-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Absolutely amazing.

If you're looking for an all inclusive message.

Only a few points.

If you're going for a politically reasonably indisputable appeal to voters then say something to the extent that his message and the reverberation that it has had with the people of the country started the Tea Party.

Other than that how long of a speech are you looking for and is it possible to alter it to cover specific counter-arguments. To get them off the table right away, that is.
Things like the explanation of his pork voting(putting pork in the congressional budget then voting against it), the net neutrality debacle, voting against legislation that gave the fcc the ability to regulate the internet. (even though it appeared like a good idea to some at the time and people are still confused.) (That can also be referenced to the need for lack of regulation on the internet due to free market appeal to keep it in an open competitive market that will meet the demands of the users.)

Possibly any other arguments like elect-ability, age (too easy).

Add in his life story, and I think we will have something. It seems like a bunch but if a well-constructed straight to the truth speech could be written, we can glean the information we need to include recent problems (debt ceiling, Libya, HealthCare) and create an format to present information to voters at the caucuses in case people do not feel comfortable writing their own speeches.

Sometimes, and it will happen, delegates will be given around 30 seconds to speak, and the shorter the speech the better, but it has to have a profound impact. I think I clocked this one in around 5 minutes. I could have read it faster, but I would have to rewrite it for my speaking patterns. If you are interested in helping with this send me a message or we can continue to post more here.

ForLiberty2012
08-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Good points LibertasPraesidium. We are trying to go for an all inclusive message, given that you have to sift through many videos/articles to truly understand what his views are. I believe that including things like electability and age are irrelevant, because if people want to believe that, then they can... Just like "He wants to legalize heroin"... I don't think we need to "prove" these points, but that's my opinion...

That's a good idea in including parts of his life story, such as serving in the air force and being an obstetrician ... Also, we also need to include his beliefs in leaving legislation up to the states. Thanks for your input!

ForLiberty2012
08-25-2011, 10:02 PM
How would one go about getting on a speech like this? I am very interested in doing it if it were possible? I am very well spoken and think I would be a good addition!

Find a camera, and we'll put you on the list of volunteers!

evadmurd
08-25-2011, 10:09 PM
I am very well spoken and think I would be a good addition!

And fairly humble, too. ;-)

AdamT
08-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Have u read this aloud and timed it? You don't want it to go on for too long for a video. Short & sweet. Keep that in mind. Very important.

ForLiberty2012
08-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Have u read this aloud and timed it? You don't want it to go on for too long for a video. Short & sweet. Keep that in mind. Very important.

It is a little over 5 minutes... which I think is what the max length should be.

growburn13
08-26-2011, 12:21 AM
It is a little over 5 minutes... which I think is what the max length should be.

In this fast food society, people only have so much of an attention span. If I were to to choose one venue of approach it would be split between ending the war and pushing his status as un-electable to an electable candidate.

However, if we can get this all inclusive speech in video from everyone onboard, who is to say we could not turn an original 5 minute speech into eventual 1-2 minute clips after our original is complete. Initially the speech seemed daunting for your average joe to read/hear... But after mulling it over I feel getting our entire message is what is most important.

With that said I like the message produced so far.

TIMB0B
08-26-2011, 12:33 AM
Are people going to be memorizing this, or reading from a teleprompter?

growburn13
08-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Are people going to be memorizing this, or reading from a teleprompter?

Personally, I will probably read through the final draft several times, and record a raw session of myself speaking the speech rather than reciting. Probably in a prominently identifiable location to my area.

Fatejuggler
08-26-2011, 01:19 AM
How about maybe starting each section with the words "We the people say..."

Just thinking out loud.

Fatejuggler
08-26-2011, 01:23 AM
This part is far too confrontational and partisan sounding:

"Unlike Barack Obama, who dishonorably broke his promise to the American people by increasing US involvement in foreign aggressions in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan, as well as recent military strikes in Libya and Yemen[roll short clip of this],"

FluxCapacitor
08-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Fatejuggler, I agree.

I think it would be more powerful to focus on Ron Paul, and not even mention Obama.
The same goes for the Tea Party. I don't think it should be mentioned. Just stay focused on Ron Paul.

ForLiberty, thanks for organizing this project!

silverhandorder
08-26-2011, 10:54 AM
I have a camera put me on the list :).

bamafanmco
08-26-2011, 11:24 AM
In the foreign policy paragraph you MUST include that Ron Paul is the choice of our troops. American troops donate more in campaign contributions to Ron Paul than all other Republican candidates combined. Its not even close!

I don't know how to word it.

And I would leave out Obama too, Paul doesn't attack individuals, we don't need to either. Also the greastest appeal needs to be to Republican primary voters for now, bringing up Obama will not differentiate him from Republicans.

RDM
08-26-2011, 11:49 AM
In the foreign policy paragraph you MUST include that Ron Paul is the choice of our troops. American troops donate more in campaign contributions to Ron Paul than all other Republican candidates combined. Its not even close!

I don't know how to word it.

And I would leave out Obama too, Paul doesn't attack individuals, we don't need to either. Also the greastest appeal needs to be to Republican primary voters for now, bringing up Obama will not differentiate him from Republicans.

A strong Commander-in-Chief shows leadership that is respected amongst our men and women in the military. The respect for Ron Paul shows in the amount of campaign contributions he has received from military personnel, that exceed other GOP candidates combined.

ForLiberty2012
08-26-2011, 01:18 PM
In the foreign policy paragraph you MUST include that Ron Paul is the choice of our troops.

Good idea! I agree.

Also, and this is directed towards everyone: Do you think we shouldn't include Obama at all? I believe including him will appeal to the "blue republicans" that were for Obama's peace stance when he was running.

ForLiberty2012
08-28-2011, 08:05 AM
A few minor edits. Please offer feedback! Thanks again for your help everyone!

Dr. Ron Paul is the only candidate that wants to bring our troops home. As the only presidential candidate that is a veteran, his constitutional foreign policy would correct our misguided diplomacy by removing the United States from the international entanglements that have led to a decade of ever expanding foreign aggression. War threatens our security, erodes our prosperity, and has saddled taxpayers with trillions of dollars of debt.

Ron Paul believes in a strong national defense and protecting our borders, not in using our force abroad for unconstitutional and immoral interventionist aggression that is reducing the United States to the status of a resented global bully while propelling us toward economic failure. Ron Paul’s message of peace is resonating with Americans, including members of the military. Since the 2008 campaign, Ron Paul has consistently received more donations from the military than any other candidate, and just recently received more donations than ALL republican candidates COMBINED.

If you believe that our government is too big and that its spending is out of control, vote for Ron Paul!

Over the course of his 12 terms in Congress, Dr. Paul has never once voted for a tax increase, nor has he ever voted for an unbalanced budget! Ron Paul has never voted for any federal restriction on gun ownership. Ron Paul has never voted to raise congressional pay or to increase the power of government. He voted against the PATRIOT Act and the Iraq War. He voted against regulating the internet. Our nation is in a state of crisis and we need a leader who will steadfastly say “no” to rapid government growth and spending on the backs of the American people. Ron Paul has been the leading voice for a limited government since his first days in congress in 1976.

Ron Paul believes that the federal government’s role is simple: to protect our rights and freedoms as individuals; not to run our lives. To that end, Ron Paul has stated that he would like to phase out the IRS, and offer an alternative for Americans to opt of the system of debt and entitlements. It is Dr. Paul's goal to hold the Federal Reserve Bank transparent to the citizens, accountable to them for their actions, and ending the unchecked printing of money which is causing runaway inflation, a root cause of our loss of wealth. He believes in the free market, that the only true solution to our economic crisis is not government intervention through regulation, bail-outs, and manipulating interest rates, but by allowing the market to correct itself naturally.

Dr. Paul's presidential campaign in 2008 sparked a revolution and inspired a movement called the Tea Party, which advocates following our constitution through limited government and fiscal responsibility, a broad departure from the current policies under which this nation operates and which are driving it toward bankruptcy and threatening the global economy.

If you want consistency and honesty, and not the same old political rhetoric, vote for Ron Paul!

If you are fed up with broken promises, phony political rhetoric, waning prosperity, warfare and deceit from our government, then ask yourself how voting for the same old breed of self-interested, big-government political insiders will change this for the better. Ron Paul is different. Ron Paul has consistently voted based on principle, not for political position or popularity.

If you want to vote for someone you can trust, vote for Ron Paul. Dr. Paul has spent his entire political tenure as a US Representative fighting for the return to a free, just, and prosperous nation. Ron Paul remains the most consistent member of congress in his defense of personal liberty, as well as strictly limiting the government to the provisions of the United States Constitution. If it is not explicitly authorized in the Constitution or if it infringes on our civil liberties, Ron Paul routinely votes “No”. We need someone with personal integrity, good values, and a track record to back up his talk. That someone is Ron Paul!

If you believe in living your life as you wish, and not by government dictates, vote for Ron Paul!

Ron Paul takes personal freedom very seriously and as such believes in liberty for all. Liberty to live, work, worship, play, love, and generally act in accord with the dictates of one's conscience, the only restriction being that against bringing harm to others. He seeks not to exclude, marginalize, or otherwise abuse any peaceable persons. His inclusive message is one of peaceful, harmonious, happy, prosperous, and free coexistence for each person among his fellows in a land overflowing with opportunity.

It doesn’t matter if you’re a democrat, republican, or independent. Ron Paul unites individuals of all races, backgrounds, religions, and political affiliations. His message is simple: for government to operate within the strict limits of the Constitution and for it to protect our personal liberties so that Americans can be free and prosperous and live out their lives as they wish. For all of this Ron Paul has been the leading voice for over thirty years.

As a fellow American who cares about the great nation we call home, the United States of America, I invite you to join the revolution. We can make this happen. We have a duty to ourselves, our families, friends, communities, our country, and to the rest of the world – to set the example and to restore peace, liberty, and prosperity for all.

Help restore America in 2012. You CAN do it if you have faith and you act. Please spread the word and vote for Ron Paul!!!

Sjmfury
08-28-2011, 11:15 AM
We need to Concentrate on a SIMPLE Message that Promotes ONLY Ron. The video in itself should only be 5 minutes or less (in my opinion) and should concentrate solely on WHAT people WANT.

Although the War is a Strong Tool for Ron I believe the Economy and Jobs are a bigger impact in Voters minds.

We should start with JOBS/Economy, Then War, Then Fiscal Responsibility, and Finally FREEDOM (Which is what Breeds so Much Emotion, puts people in tears, etc.)

Finish it up with a "Call to Action" which tells the viewer to DO SOMETHING to Help the Campaign and make Ron the President of the United States of America. My 2 cents.

ForLiberty2012
08-28-2011, 01:28 PM
We need to Concentrate on a SIMPLE Message that Promotes ONLY Ron. The video in itself should only be 5 minutes or less (in my opinion) and should concentrate solely on WHAT people WANT.

Although the War is a Strong Tool for Ron I believe the Economy and Jobs are a bigger impact in Voters minds.

We should start with JOBS/Economy, Then War, Then Fiscal Responsibility, and Finally FREEDOM (Which is what Breeds so Much Emotion, puts people in tears, etc.)

Finish it up with a "Call to Action" which tells the viewer to DO SOMETHING to Help the Campaign and make Ron the President of the United States of America. My 2 cents.

Good points. I shall make revisions!

Tod
08-28-2011, 03:40 PM
I would try to get a few senior citizens to participate and try to get most of the people to spruce up a bit for the video (don't want it to look like only youngsters and apparent druggies support Dr. Paul: a broad cross-section to help the most viewers see at least someone in the video that they can point to and think, "that person could be me!"

FA.Hayek
08-28-2011, 03:56 PM
it'll be awesome if the people reading it can be in front of easily recognizable buildings, scenery, to show the truly national support for Ron Paul all over the U.S.

gb13
08-28-2011, 04:05 PM
"War threatens our security, places our brave men and women in the military at risk, erodes our prosperity, and has saddled taxpayers with trillions of dollars of debt."

I would add the part in bold. We should express that we value the lives of our people in uniform. We don't want to look as of we're only focused on dollars and cents.

Tod
08-28-2011, 04:55 PM
I would add the part in bold. We should express that we value the lives of our people in uniform. We don't want to look as of we're only focused on dollars and cents.

good point, gb13!

zakkubin
08-28-2011, 04:59 PM
This doesn't necessarily apply to this project, but I always thought it would be powerful to have foreigners show their support for Ron's foreign policy. Too many people have this crazy assumption that the world would be upset or laugh at the U.S. for weakening our role in world affairs.

In the last debate, even though we know Paul beat down Sanctorum, many people had the impression he lost and were freighted by the vision of the neocons. That being that Iran's only goal in life is to get a nuke to attack Israel and the U.S. So what if we had some Iranians share their views on the subject? I befriended a few Iranians a few years back on skype and they seemed shocked at what our news coverage and politicians were saying. And after I explained Paul's position they were instant supporters.

Matthew Zak
08-28-2011, 05:24 PM
I would get rid of words like "faith". No offense, but that's off putting to some people.

satchelmcqueen
08-28-2011, 05:34 PM
id LOVE to be in this video. send me the speech in pm and ill record myself reading it.

ForLiberty2012
08-28-2011, 06:54 PM
*Noting all comments*

Thanks everyone! And yes Tod, we do need a diverse group of individuals. Please spread the word!

Tod
08-28-2011, 08:07 PM
I took the liberty ( :) ) of attempting to make some of the sentences a bit more dynamic. At first I tried keeping track of original text vs my revisions but it got hard to read...

Dr. Ron Paul is the only candidate who will bring our troops home. He is the only veteran in the race and his constitutional foreign policy will correct our current misguided one by extracting us from the past decade's ever-expanding foreign conflicts. Unnecessary war threatens our security, places our brave military men and women at risk, and erodes our prosperity by saddling us with trillions of dollars of debt.

Ron Paul believes in a strong national defense and secure borders. He does not believe in using our military abroad for unconstitutional and immoral interventions that make us a resented global bully and speed us toward bankruptcy. Ron Paul’s message of peace is resonating with Americans, especially those serving in the military. Since his 2008 campaign, Ron Paul has consistently received more donations from the military than any other candidate, and just recently received more donations than all the rest of the candidates combined.

If you believe our government is too big and spending is out of control, vote for Ron Paul!

In twelve Congressional terms, Dr. Paul has never once voted for a tax increase, nor has he ever voted for an unbalanced budget. Ron Paul has never voted for any federal restriction on gun ownership. Ron Paul has never voted to raise congressional pay or to increase the power of government. He voted against the PATRIOT Act and the Iraq War. He voted against regulating the internet. Our nation is in a crisis and we need a leader who will steadfastly insist on more liberty for Americans and will take the necessary steps to restore America now. Ron Paul has been the leading voice for a limited government since his first days in congress in 1976.

Ron Paul believes that the federal government’s role is simple: to protect our rights and freedoms as individuals. To that end, Ron Paul has stated that he would like to phase out the IRS, and offer alternatives for Americans to opt out of the system of debt and entitlements. It is Dr. Paul's goal to hold the Federal Reserve Bank transparent to the citizens, accountable to them for their actions, and stop blindly printing money, the cause of runaway inflation. He believes in the free market: the only true solution to our economic crisis is not government intervention through regulation, bail-outs, and manipulating interest rates, but by allowing the market to correct itself naturally.

Dr. Paul's 2008 presidential campaign sparked a revolution and inspired the creation of the Tea Party, which advocates following our constitution through limited government and fiscal responsibility, a broad departure from the current policies under which this nation operates and which are driving it toward bankruptcy and threatening the global economy.

If you want consistency and honesty instead of the same old political rhetoric, vote for Ron Paul!

If you are fed up with broken promises, massive unemployment, and deceitful warfare, stop voting for the status quo. Vote for Ron Paul: he truly is different and had demonstrated it by consistently voting based on principle rather than merely checking the political wind.

Vote for someone you can trust: vote for Ron Paul. Dr. Paul has spent his entire political tenure as a US Representative fighting so that we might be a free, just, and prosperous nation. Ron Paul remains the most consistent member of congress in his defense of personal liberty, as well as strictly limiting the government to the provisions outlined in the Constitution. If it is not explicitly authorized in the Constitution or if it infringes on our civil liberties, Ron Paul routinely votes “No”. We need someone with personal integrity, good values, and a track record to back up his talk. That someone is Ron Paul!

Ron Paul takes personal freedom very seriously and as such believes in liberty for all. Liberty to live, work, worship, play, love, and generally act in accord with the dictates of one's conscience, the only restriction being that against bringing harm to others. He seeks not to exclude, marginalize, or otherwise abuse any peaceable persons. His inclusive message is one of peace, harmony, happiness, opportunity, and prosperity for each and every one of us.

It doesn’t matter if you’re a democrat, republican, or independent. Ron Paul unites individuals of all races, backgrounds, religions, and political affiliations. His message is simple: for government to operate within the strict limits of the Constitution and for it to protect our personal liberties so that Americans can be free and prosperous and live out their lives as they wish. Ron Paul has been the leading voice for these things for over thirty years.

As a fellow American who cares about the great nation we call home, the United States of America, I invite you to join the revolution. We can make this happen. We have a duty to ourselves, our families, friends, communities, our country, and to the rest of the world – to set the example and to restore peace, liberty, and prosperity for all.

Help restore America in 2012. You can do it if you have faith and you act. Please spread the word and vote for Ron Paul!!!

Tod
08-28-2011, 08:28 PM
I just recorded myself reading the speech and it took about 6 min, 50 sec and, in watching it, it did seem a little bit long and almost repetitious, although probably it was just because I was looking at my ugly mug the whole time (enough to make even the shortest video too long! :D )

joebus36
08-28-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm 18 and I could give you a young reader and my mom would also be willing to read, she could give you a middle aged woman. If you are lacking in those areas let me know. The only issue is whether or not my camera records in HD.

boneyard bill
08-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Ronald Reagan was the master of metaphor. He was "the Great Communicator" because he gave us images in addition to ideas. He spoke of the "safety net," of "Morning in America." Our astronauts did not die. They "touched the face of God." If you want your speech to inspiring then you need to think of inspiring images and phrases that capture these ideas in few words, not many.

Here is my suggestion for your first paragraph:

"Ron Paul believes in peace through strength. The value of strength rests not in the desire to win but in the desire not to fight. War does not represent the goal of policy but its' failure. For Ron Paul our soldiers overseas serve, not as defenders of our soil, but as targets for our enemies. Let them serve proudly, but let them serve at home.

We spend hundreds of billions of dollars overseas for our troops to defend the soil of other lands. Thousands, perhaps millions, prosper from the this support while millions go unemployed here at home. Ron Paul would return the troops, and the money, to our shores to protect our liberty and allow our citizens to prosper."

Ok, I'm no Ronald Reagan. There are no killer metaphors here, only weak ones. But I hope you get the idea. Throw in some literary devices. Use metaphors, use alliteration, use antithesis, but use fewer words.

Suzu
08-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Now we need your critiques/comments so that we can perfect the message

Thanks for your help!

When you're writing about a person, you use "who" rather than "that", as in "The only candidate who..."

And, by the way, Perry is a veteran.

Suzu
08-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Ron Paul believes in peace through strength. The value of strength rests not in the desire to win but in the desire not to fight. War does not represent the goal of policy but its' failure. For Ron Paul our soldiers overseas serve, not as defenders of our soil nation, but as targets for our enemies.

Minor corrections.

Cleaner44
08-29-2011, 10:29 AM
So I am probably going to ask John Mayer, the musician, to pitch in on this. I have gotten in contact with his management and they want details. I got the idea from a thread at the Daily Paul, see here:
http://www.dailypaul.com/176298/drafting-john-mayer

It would be an easy request with minimal burden for him. It could also open the door for more in depth projects later if he were so inclined.

Sound good?

Sjmfury
08-29-2011, 10:32 AM
^ Cool.

LibertasPraesidium
08-29-2011, 11:55 AM
"Ron Paul believes in peace through strength!

The value of strength rests not in the desire to win, but in the wisdom and desire to not engage military forces that are not necessary. For Ron Paul, our soldiers overseas serve, not as defenders of our Nation but as targets for our enemies. Let them serve proudly, for when America goes to war it should be a quick, thought out, clear ending campaign, not some politics and overbearing platitudes pushing for military action in nations that should be left alone. War does not represent the goal of policy but shows its failure.

We spend hundreds of billions of dollars overseas for our troops to defend themselves in foreign lands. Thousands, perhaps millions, prosper from this military action, while millions go unemployed here at home. Ron Paul would return the troops, and the money, to our shores to protect and secure our liberty and allow our citizens to prosper.

boneyard bill
08-29-2011, 04:12 PM
"Ron Paul believes in peace through strength!

The value of strength rests not in the desire to win, but in the wisdom and desire to not engage military forces that are not necessary. For Ron Paul, our soldiers overseas serve, not as defenders of our nation but as targets for our enemies. Let them serve proudly, but let them serve briefly with clear aims and necessary goals. Peace through strength means that war is not the culmination of policy but the representation of its faiure.

We spend hundreds of billions of dollars overseas for our troops to defend themselves in foreign lands. Thousands, perhaps millions, prosper from this military presence, while millions go unemployed here at home. Ron Paul would return the troops, and the money, to our shores to protect and secure our liberty and allow our citizens to prosper.

I like some of your changes but others are a bit too wordy. Keep in mind that this is a spoken address so cadence and rhythm are important. You have to keep the audience from nodding off.

]"Ron Paul believes in peace through strength!

The value of strength rests not in the desire to win, but in the wisdom not to fight needlessly. As Ron Paul sees it, our soldiers overseas currently serve, not as defenders of our nation but as targets for our enemies. Let them serve proudly, but let them serve briefly with clear aims and necessary goals. Peace through strength means that war is not the fulfillment of policy but the representation of its failure.

We spend hundreds of billions of dollars overseas for our troops to defend themselves in foreign lands. Thousands, perhaps millions, prosper from this military presence, while millions go unemployed here at home. Ron Paul would return the troops, and the money, to our shores to protect our liberty and allow our citizens to prosper.[/QUOTE]

Stefan
08-29-2011, 04:32 PM
This doesn't necessarily apply to this project, but I always thought it would be powerful to have foreigners show their support for Ron's foreign policy. Too many people have this crazy assumption that the world would be upset or laugh at the U.S. for weakening our role in world affairs.

I'm in! Sign me up!

Now you got yourself a foreigner :)

boneyard bill
08-29-2011, 06:19 PM
I would follow that up and transition to the next segment with something like this:

"Ron Paul has received twice as much in contributions from military personnel than all other GOP candidates combined. These soldiers understand the importance of clear direction guided by sound principle. They fight for freedom, not conquest, and embrace the most freedom-loving candidate in the field. Ron Paul understands that our government was created to take orders, not to give them; to allow the pursuit of happiness but not the guarantee of it. And Ron Paul has stood by these principles from his first day in office. Even now he returns a portion of his congressional office allowance the Treasury every year. He has never participated in the very generous Congressional pension program. Ron Paul has never voted to violate free speech, gun rights, the fourth amendment, any other provision of the Bill of Rights. Ron Paul does not simply support the constitution, he is guided by it."

At this point, however, I think I would depart from the established narrative and become more thematic:

"Ron Paul has been declared by some to be a prophet, and he is that. He is the Prophet of Liberty. For it is the constant theme of Ron Paul's career that Freedom Works. Freedom isn't simply a desirable condition. It isn't simply a state of affairs that we enjoy. It is, in fact, the most successful organizing principle known to man. It is through individual freedom that this nation and all of Western Civilization has risen from grinding poverty to unparalleled wealth. It is through freedom that we have attained spectacular intellectual and scientific advancements that were unbelievable only a few centuries ago.

It is unquestionably true, that if I am to be free, I must be free to make mistakes. Our rights include our right to fail. But if I am free, I am also free to correct my errors. What great advantage this is! For if my falure is due to the restrictions and impositions of a despotic overlord, I am doomed, not only to fail, but to live in failure. To my loss of wealth, I must add a loss of hope.

And this is the sadness of the hour. This is the fading of the dream. For there are those who say that in these perilous times only THEY can rescue us from the malaise. Only THEY can pick the right winners and the right losers. Only they can properly decide who should succeed and who should fail.

These are the leaders. These are the Wise Men. These are the regulators who have led us to the abyss. They have failed us with their rules. They have betrayed us with their schemes and demand from us the right to scheme anew.

But Ron Paul says no because Ron Paul is the Prophet of Liberty, but he is also the Apostle of Hope. With freedom, we can solve our own problems. We need government. We do not need government debt. We need currency. We do not need currency manipulation. We need honest enforcement of contracts. We do not need suffocating regulations.

A free people make agreements to maximize their goals. To make such agreements they must maximize the goals of others. That's why freedom works. To be forced to maximize the goals of others is to live under despotism. And despotism leads not only to a loss of freedom, but to a loss of wealth. It truly is, "The Road to Serfdom."

Ron Paul would eliminate the subsidies, the bail-outs, the corporate welfare. He would slash the regulations, balance the budget, provide a sound currency and allow a free people to help themselves by helping others. But he would also keep faith with the American people. He would, as much as possible, abide by the government contract with the people. He would maintain the "safety net" as Ronald Reagan called it. The promise of assistance that people have counted on and planned on would be maintained with sound money. That promise cannot be met with a printing press.

The times are perilous. The hour is late. The debt mushrooms. The dollar sinks. Catastrophe looms. And our leaders are paralyzed. They linger over puddles in an ocean of debt. They fight over scraps in a manure pile. Yet they remain oblivious to the consequences of their inaction.

America needs a new beginning, and we will have it. But will we have it before or after the catastrophe? Ron Paul is the only person who can save the country because Ron Paul is the only person who understands the magnitude of the problem. What other politcian predicted the real estate meltdown years in advance? What other politician has seen his investments grow by 600% over the last decade? What other candidate has had the principles to stand up to his own president and this own party on war? What other candidate has had the principles to defend the constitution even if meant voting against the Patriot Act?

Are we to continue to be ruled by fawning sycophants and $55,000 a plate dinners? Should we continue to be governed by people who let Wall Street bankers, defense contractors, and oil barons call the shots? Are we going to continue to heed the advice of economic charlatans who say we can borrow our way to prosperity?

Ronald Reagan once said, "There ARE simple answers. There just aren't easy ones." Only a man of strong convictions can be counted upon to make the tough decisions. Only a man of dedication and principle can stand up to the special interests that permeate Washington. Only Ron Paul has proven himself over three decades in politics to possess those qualities. Only Ron Paul can Restore America Now."

I didn't intend to finish it, but I got carried away. Looks like it might be a little shorter than intended, but I'm only offering it as an example and a suggestion so it can be amended and expanded on.

Cleaner44
08-29-2011, 09:05 PM
So I am probably going to ask John Mayer, the musician, to pitch in on this. I have gotten in contact with his management and they want details. I got the idea from a thread at the Daily Paul, see here:
http://www.dailypaul.com/176298/drafting-john-mayer

It would be an easy request with minimal burden for him. It could also open the door for more in depth projects later if he were so inclined.

Sound good?

Below is the follow up email I have sent.

Hi Arielle,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

The project is very simple. Myself and other supporters of Congressman Ron Paul are filming ourselves reading a speech endorsing Ron Paul and asking others to join with us. The speech is in it's final revision right now.

Each person will be recording themselves and then submitting the video file to a central editor. The end product will be a continuous speech made up of a diverse group of Americans with the common thread of supporting Ron Paul for President.

The only requirement is a 720p HD camera, with a frame rate of 30p or 24p.

If Mr. Mayer is interested, I will forward the text of the speech and accept the video file when finished.

This is purely a grassroots effort and has no affiliation with the official Ron Paul campaign.

Do you need anything else and can you give me any kind of a time frame if Mr. Mayer is in fact interested?

Thanks you, your help is much appreciated!

charliem
08-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Wasn't Perry in the military?

ForLiberty2012
08-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Cleaner44.... great idea! If we can get the word out about this.... we can make this a lot bigger than just a "grassroots" project! This is great!

ForLiberty2012
08-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Wasn't Perry in the military?

Yes, We are making revisions!

ForLiberty2012
08-29-2011, 09:25 PM
And thanks for your help everyone! boneyard bill... I'm taking a look and what you wrote and am going to hit you back when I finish with some edits.... good stuff!

ForLiberty2012
08-31-2011, 10:32 PM
I made some more edits to the speech..... more to come... let's get this done!!!

Sjmfury
08-31-2011, 10:34 PM
I don't have a HD camera :/, looks like I'm bowing out. Good luck!

boneyard bill
08-31-2011, 11:00 PM
I made some more edits to the speech..... more to come... let's get this done!!!

I'm curious, if you are able to get John Mayer involved, why wouldn't you have him give the entire speech? It's not very long. Why bury a celebrity endorsement in with a bunch of other people? It seems to me that his support would be more important than the speech.

ForLiberty2012
08-31-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm curious, if you are able to get John Mayer involved, why wouldn't you have him give the entire speech? It's not very long. Why bury a celebrity endorsement in with a bunch of other people? It seems to me that his support would be more important than the speech.

We aren't "able to get John Mayer". It was a suggestion that was brought up and Cleaner44 is working on that. The idea of this video is to show the diverse support of Ron Paul, not to show celebrities. Besides, I think showing John Mayer subtly would be more powerful that just one video with him. I personally would be bored with 5 minutes of John Mayer speaking... :)

Cleaner44
09-01-2011, 12:00 AM

We aren't "able to get John Mayer". It was a suggestion that was brought up and Cleaner44 is working on that. The idea of this video is to show the diverse support of Ron Paul, not to show celebrities. Besides, I think showing John Mayer subtly would be more powerful that just one video with him. I personally would be bored with 5 minutes of John Mayer speaking... :)

:( I got an answer...

Unfortunately this is not something John would be interested in doing.

I have to wonder if the idea was even forwarded to him.

JJonesMBA
09-01-2011, 02:18 AM
Great concept. Lots of potential to follow up with subsequent projects. Without even reading it, I'd first recommend getting Doug Wead, Jack Hunter or Tom Woods to edit & revise it. Maybe also get the Revolution SuperPAC involved, they may have useful resources (http://www.revolutionpac.com/grassroots-council/).