PDA

View Full Version : What is RP's view on Assault Weapons???

CplKoontz
08-25-2011, 08:14 PM
I have looked for some info, but havent found much..

Iheard that he was infavor of ending the ban, and allowing Americans to go through a check and be able to get class 3 weapons that are made later than the ban we have now???

I am a huge RP fan, but was wondering if he has said much about this?

thanks!

limequat
08-25-2011, 08:18 PM
What's an assault weapon?

Dr.3D
08-25-2011, 08:21 PM

I believe it's what some people decided to call a 'scary looking' semi-auto hunting rifle.

RonPaulFever
08-25-2011, 08:23 PM

I think you can sum it up in four words:

Shall not be infringed.

JohnGalt23g
08-25-2011, 08:24 PM
What part of "shall not be infringed" doesn't make sense to you?

limequat
08-25-2011, 08:28 PM
I believe it's what some people decided to call a 'scary looking' semi-auto hunting rifle.

Oh, in that case I think RPs position is the same as mine: They're pretty fuckin' sweet!

MJU1983
08-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Missouri just loosened up certain restrictions, the requirement to have a federal firearms license in order to own a machine gun, short barreled rifle or shotgun, or a silencer has been removed from the statutes.

I'd imagine Ron Paul's stance would be that the Federal Government has no legal standing to infringe on our 2nd amendment rights or on states' rights. BUT, maybe his administration could help citizens where local and state governments ARE violating the 2nd amendment: For example, the People's Republic of Illinois and other places that hate the Bill of Rights and freedom.

Dr. Paul has an A rating from the NRA and an A+ rating from GOA. Larry Pratt, executive director of Gun Owners of America (GOA), is quoted as saying "Ron Paul has introduced bills to wipe out most federal gun-control laws. It is pretty hard to get more pro-gun than Ron Paul."

CaptainAmerica
08-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Yes what is an assault weapon? I'm curious..

trey4sports
08-25-2011, 08:36 PM
I think you can sum it up in four words:

Shall not be infringed.

Boo muthafuckin' ya bitches

CaptainAmerica
08-25-2011, 08:37 PM

Iheard that he was infavor of ending the ban, and allowing Americans to go through a check and be able to get class 3 weapons that are made later than the ban we have now???

thanks! "Class 3" weapon was a word made by modern liberals

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-25-2011, 08:40 PM
I really want to get a gun, but I refuse to go onto the government's list of people who are dangerous. And I refuse to get one "illegally", because I don't want to risk getting shot and robbed. :P

dannno
08-25-2011, 08:43 PM

http://www.firearmstruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Guide-to-Firearms1.jpg

CaptainAmerica
08-25-2011, 08:43 PM
I really want to get a gun, but I refuse to go onto the government's list of people who are dangerous. And I refuse to get one "illegally", because I don't want to risk getting shot and robbed. :P Move to Arizona, you won't be on a list of any kind.

Chris from Upstate NY
08-25-2011, 08:47 PM
HAHAHA Dannno that is great!!! @Limequat An assualt weapon is what Sarah Palin shoots moose with.

brushfire
08-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Yes, WTF [is] an assault rifle, anyway?

VoluntaryAmerican
08-25-2011, 08:52 PM
I really want to get a gun, but I refuse to go onto the government's list of people who are dangerous. And I refuse to get one "illegally", because I don't want to risk getting shot and robbed. :P

Buy it in a state that has very low requirements and drive back. Done deal.

FSP-Rebel
08-25-2011, 08:55 PM
They're essentially more worried about handgun purchases overall from what I've seen and heard. Either or can be gotten if u know the right people these days. <

Dr.3D
08-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Buy it in a state that has very low requirements and drive back. Done deal.

Guess that wouldn't be a problem if it was a rifle or shotgun.

MJU1983
08-25-2011, 08:58 PM

Ha! That's SO true....! :)

MJU1983
08-25-2011, 09:01 PM
double post

GunnyFreedom
08-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Yes what is an assault weapon? I'm curious..

Technically an assault weapon is low recoil (small bore like .223 cal 5.56 mil, or lower power like 7.62x39) automatic capable rifle that can be fired on a run from the hip with a detachable large capacity magazine.

In modern day parlance it has come to mean any tacti-cool rifle that is not a bolt action.

The origin of the assault rifle was the WW2 German "Sturmgewehr" (literally "storming gun") that was classified as "assault" because of high ammunition capacity, smaller rounds so magazines could hold more. Detachable box magazine for reloading, and a light enough recoil to fire from the hip on the run.

M1 Garand, for instance, does not qualify as an assault rifle because the recoil is too heavy, and the ammunition capacity is too low, and it takes too long to reload (as compared to a box magazine)

limequat
08-25-2011, 09:12 PM
ha! That's so true....! :)

ak, ak, ak, ak, ak, .... M16 rofl!

limequat
08-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Danno, is there a similar graphic entitled "Law Enforcement Officer's guide to Armed Assailants"?

Razmear
08-25-2011, 09:18 PM

There aren't any flea markets in your neck of the woods? Easy to find in SC, and private sales are not monitored in most states.

eb

james1906
08-25-2011, 09:19 PM
I could assault someone with a steak knife, a lead pipe, or my fists. Are these assault weapons?

CaptainAmerica
08-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Technically an assault weapon is low recoil (small bore like .223 cal 5.56 mil, or lower power like 7.62x39) automatic capable rifle that can be fired on a run from the hip with a detachable large capacity magazine.

In modern day parlance it has come to mean any tacti-cool rifle that is not a bolt action.

The origin of the assault rifle was the WW2 German "Sturmgewehr" (literally "storming gun") that was classified as "assault" because of high ammunition capacity, smaller rounds so magazines could hold more. Detachable box magazine for reloading, and a light enough recoil to fire from the hip on the run.

M1 Garand, for instance, does not qualify as an assault rifle because the recoil is too heavy, and the ammunition capacity is too low, and it takes too long to reload (as compared to a box magazine) My point was that calling a weapon an "assault" weapon in law is a thought crime. I do understand the different tactical advantages of different kinds of weapons though.

CaptainAmerica
08-25-2011, 09:23 PM
I could assault someone with a steak knife, a lead pipe, or my fists. Are these assault weapons?
Your mind is dangerous, better classify it as an assault weapon.

Elwar
08-25-2011, 09:24 PM
I do believe that this is Ron Paul's view on an assault weapon.

http://zieglers.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/scope.jpg

Dr.3D
08-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Pick up a rock and throw it at somebody and poof, it becomes an assault weapon.

bunklocoempire
08-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Missouri just loosened up certain restrictions, the requirement to have a federal firearms license in order to own a machine gun, short barreled rifle or shotgun, or a silencer has been removed from the statutes.

I'd imagine Ron Paul's stance would be that the Federal Government has no legal standing to infringe on our 2nd amendment rights or on states' rights. BUT, maybe his administration could help citizens where local and state governments ARE violating the 2nd amendment: For example, the People's Republic of Illinois and other places that hate the Bill of Rights and freedom.

Dr. Paul has an A rating from the NRA and an A+ rating from GOA. Larry Pratt, executive director of Gun Owners of America (GOA), is quoted as saying "Ron Paul has introduced bills to wipe out most federal gun-control laws. It is pretty hard to get more pro-gun than Ron Paul."

Good answer. + rep.

GunnyFreedom as well.

Don't be discouraged CplKoontz, just understand that terminology is very important. Other than terminology it's an excellent question to bone up on so we can make the Ron Paul 'sale' to others.

Bunkloco

Elwar
08-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Is not assault weapon a bit redundant?

cucucachu0000
08-25-2011, 09:30 PM
i like deadly weapon the best haha

GunnyFreedom
08-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Is not assault weapon a bit redundant?

Not really. It's hard to assault a machine gun nest with a sniper rifle.

GunnyFreedom
08-25-2011, 09:59 PM
My point was that calling a weapon an "assault" weapon in law is a thought crime. I do understand the different tactical advantages of different kinds of weapons though.

No, "Assault Weapon" is a real thing, not newspeak. It's not just certain tactical advantages, it's an actual definable category of military grade rifled firearm. That definition has been twisted all out of sorts for liberal "assault weapons bans" but i don't allow antigunner propaganda to define my weapons.

the AR-15 stands for "Assault Rifle" because it was trying to win a military contract for a specific category "assault weapon" which is different from a "heavy rifle" or "machine gun" or a "Main Battle Rifle." The civilian version of the AR, of course, does not have auto or burst available.

There is an actual category in the military lexicon defining assault weapons. It is decidedly not just that certain characteristics make a rifle good for assaulting things.

Ronpauljones
08-25-2011, 10:09 PM
HAHAHA Dannno that is great!!! @Limequat An assualt weapon is what Sarah Palin shoots moose with.

The first time palin shot a gun or went out into nature was on her tv show.

GunnyFreedom
08-25-2011, 10:13 PM

LOL God I hope not. An assault weapon is liable to do little more to a moose than piss it off, and then it will live about another 2 years in severe pain until it finally dies of exhaustion. :(

SWATH
08-25-2011, 10:48 PM
"Class 3" weapon was a word made by modern liberals

It is a bit of a misnomer but it's not made up (unless you consider the NFA '34 to be made up by modern day liberals which would be a valid statement). Weapons that fall under the NFA laws are technically considered "title II" weapons, "title I" being non-NFA regulated weapons. "Title II" weapons must be purchased through a "class III" dealer. The terms "class I" being for importers and "class II" being manufacturers of "title II" weapons. The term "class III" just stuck since "title II" weapons must be purchased through "class III" dealers.

ForLiberty2012
08-25-2011, 10:52 PM

thanks!

Simple: He would leave it up to the states, which is where it's handled now anyway.

CaptainAmerica
08-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Not really. It's hard to assault a machine gun nest with a sniper rifle. Yes but when speaking on civil liberties weapons cannot be classified as "assault" because that is a tactic. Should we consider labeling rifles and guns as "suppressive fire rifles" or "assault rifles" would be the beginning of thought crimes as laws.

CaptainAmerica
08-25-2011, 11:00 PM
No, "Assault Weapon" is a real thing, not newspeak. It's not just certain tactical advantages, it's an actual definable category of military grade rifled firearm. That definition has been twisted all out of sorts for liberal "assault weapons bans" but i don't allow antigunner propaganda to define my weapons.

the AR-15 stands for "Assault Rifle" because it was trying to win a military contract for a specific category "assault weapon" which is different from a "heavy rifle" or "machine gun" or a "Main Battle Rifle." The civilian version of the AR, of course, does not have auto or burst available.

There is an actual category in the military lexicon defining assault weapons. It is decidedly not just that certain characteristics make a rifle good for assaulting things. facepalm. I understand exactly what each weapon is designed for, I don't need the government defining it for me. My point is that by calling a weapon an "assault " weapon you are enabling the government to prejudge your motives by even owning that weapon.

pcosmar
08-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Simple: He would leave it up to the states, which is where it's handled now anyway.

:confused:

How do you figure? State laws are dictated by Federal Firearms Laws since 1934.

Ron Paul's position is the 2nd Amendment.

Shall not be infringed.

GunnyFreedom
08-25-2011, 11:31 PM
facepalm. I understand exactly what each weapon is designed for, I don't need the government defining it for me. My point is that by calling a weapon an "assault " weapon you are enabling the government to prejudge your motives by even owning that weapon.

So I should stop calling the M1 Garand a "Main Battle Rifle" because that carries a prejudice that it should only be used in a battle?

purplechoe
08-25-2011, 11:38 PM
http://www.ronpaul2012.com/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/RP-Gun-SJim.jpg

GunnyFreedom
08-25-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm not about to let the government scare me off of using the proper names for military equipment, and start using 'kinder gentler' names in the hopes that the government will stop infringing because of what I call something.

That would be like saying we can't call sunglasses "sunglasses" because someone may be offended by the sun, so we have to start calling them 'tinted protective facial lenses' in the hope that the government wont ban them.

tangent4ronpaul
08-26-2011, 09:20 AM

M1 Garand, for instance, does not qualify as an assault rifle because the recoil is too heavy, and the ammunition capacity is too low, and it takes too long to reload (as compared to a box magazine)

Close, but slightly wrong.

A assault RIFLE is a military term for a rifle as you described that fires a light weight round and is switchable between single shot and full auto. It was developed for two reasons: 1) a soldier could carry a lot more ammo and 2) it was more likely to wound, rather than kill as it takes 2 people to care for every wounded one in the field. Put another way - an assault RIFLE is a machine gun.

A assault WEAPON (sic) is a term (legal fiction) invented by liberals in Congress and the anti-gun lobby for firearms that are semi-automatic (Pull trigger once and one bullet comes out) and "scary looking" / based on military designs. This term did not exist prior to the "assault weapon ban". It has absolutely no basis in reality on the performance characteristics of the firearm.

Firearms of civilian design that are not "scary looking" with identical performance characteristics as "assault WEAPONS" (sic) in an identical caliber are/were not regulated.

-t

Cowlesy
08-26-2011, 09:31 AM
You do not mess with RP supporters and firearms nomenclature!!!

Brooklyn Red Leg
08-26-2011, 09:42 AM

Argh!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dannno again.

acptulsa
08-26-2011, 09:49 AM
I think his view is this: They can protect Americans while in the hands of Americans on American soil. They cause more stress than protection for Americans in the hands of the forces of imperialism on foreign soil.

So, in short he wants to bring them home. And keep them as quiet as possible, unless there are overpopulated deer or paper targets handy.

acptulsa
08-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Oh, and allow me to expand on the MSM Weapons Guide.

Glocks:

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs106.snc1/4904_115325832952_663957952_2773000_5108561_n.jpg

acptulsa
08-26-2011, 09:58 AM
And AK-47s :rolleyes::

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/acptulsa/DAVISARMS007.jpg

(Do click the link above...)

By the way, the vast majority of the weapons in this post and the one above it have rifled barrels and all can be used for the purposes of an assault. So, take anything the MSM tells you with at least a grain of salt...

Icymudpuppy
08-26-2011, 10:48 AM
LOL God I hope not. An assault weapon is liable to do little more to a moose than piss it off, and then it will live about another 2 years in severe pain until it finally dies of exhaustion. :(

Depends how you shoot it. Most people consider Chris McCandless to have been a novice at Alaskan survival, yet he managed to kill a moose with a semi-auto .22 LR.

Anti Federalist
08-26-2011, 10:50 AM
You do not mess with RP supporters and firearms nomenclature!!!

I saw this thread but was not able to respond.

When I got back into it this morning, there were at least 40 posts saying just what I was going to say.

GunnyFreedom
08-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Close, but slightly wrong.

A assault RIFLE is a military term for a rifle as you described that fires a light weight round and is switchable between single shot and full auto. It was developed for two reasons: 1) a soldier could carry a lot more ammo and 2) it was more likely to wound, rather than kill as it takes 2 people to care for every wounded one in the field. Put another way - an assault RIFLE is a machine gun.

A assault WEAPON (sic) is a term (legal fiction) invented by liberals in Congress and the anti-gun lobby for firearms that are semi-automatic (Pull trigger once and one bullet comes out) and "scary looking" / based on military designs. This term did not exist prior to the "assault weapon ban". It has absolutely no basis in reality on the performance characteristics of the firearm.

Firearms of civilian design that are not "scary looking" with identical performance characteristics as "assault WEAPONS" (sic) in an identical caliber are/were not regulated.

-t

Ahh yes, the intentional obfuscation used by our lovely Congress in order to further political agendas:

Assault Weapon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_weapon)

vs

Assault Rifle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle)

The problem is that in the Marines, and probably the same in the Army etc, "Weapon" and "Rifle" become directly synonymous. Leave it to Congress to exploit that...

GunnyFreedom
08-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Depends how you shoot it. Most people consider Chris McCandless to have been a novice at Alaskan survival, yet he managed to kill a moose with a semi-auto .22 LR.

I'm not talking about you or me, able to put a round in his eye at 100 yards. It's easy to forget how unusual that is.

febo
08-26-2011, 02:53 PM
What is RP's stance on tanks?

GunnyFreedom
08-26-2011, 03:21 PM
What is RP's stance on tanks?

You mean the vehicles or their weapons?

If you mean their weapons, with regard to the main gun he believes that it's up to the individual states to regulate such destructive devices as the US Constitution does not give the Federal Government the authority to do so, but that the states can restrict artillery and mobile artillery if they pose a danger. The secondary and tertiary guns are just mounted man portable machine guns.

If you mean the vehicles, they are already legal, and anybody rich enough can go get one today and drive it all over hell's half acre to their heart's content. It just won't have the main gun operable, or the mounted machine guns operable.

febo
08-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Id like him to talk about tanks then, please NO MORE ABOUT RAW MILK!
It's a guns and butter issue.

CaptainAmerica
08-26-2011, 03:29 PM
So I should stop calling the M1 Garand a "Main Battle Rifle" because that carries a prejudice that it should only be used in a battle? The m1 garand in its time was considered a prestige battle field rifle. There use to be a term "the repeating rifle". I don't see a problem with describing the versatility of certain rifles and their many uses on the battle field, but I do have a problem with people who demonize weapons by asserting that they are used for only 1 purpose and 1 circumstance (in reference to the battle field) . If the government began labeling rifles as "sniper rifles" then you would have to register yourself as a sniper when you purchase a 50 caliber barrett. Currently a 50 caliber rifle can be purchased under the name "long rifle" and there is no prejudice between that and an m1 garand or a winchester .308.

dannno
08-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Argh!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dannno again.

You haven't rep'd me in over a month and even then it was only 1?? You haven't rep'd a couple other people for a whole month?

GunnyFreedom
08-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Id like him to talk about tanks then, please NO MORE ABOUT RAW MILK!
It's a guns and butter issue.

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. Talk about getting blatantly misconstrued and taken out of context! The media and his opponents would be all over the place within 24 hours telling people that Ron Paul wants every lunatic to have a tank so they can roll over women and children while blowing away the family dog. Very unwise.

GunnyFreedom
08-26-2011, 03:37 PM
The m1 garand in its time was considered a prestige battle field rifle. There use to be a term "the repeating rifle". I don't see a problem with describing the versatility of certain rifles and their many uses on the battle field, but I do have a problem with people who demonize weapons by asserting that they are used for only 1 purpose and 1 circumstance (in reference to the battle field) . If the government began labeling rifles as "sniper rifles" then you would have to register yourself as a sniper when you purchase a 50 caliber barrett. Currently a 50 caliber rifle can be purchased under the name "long rifle" and there is no prejudice between that and an m1 garand or a winchester .308.

So I shouldn't be allowed to call a sports car a sports car unless I keep it on a racetrack? I shouldn't call a touring sedan 'touring' unless I'm taking it on cross country trips? C'mon man, that makes no sense. I don't let the government have that kind of control over me.

An assault rifle is an assault rifle. A main battle rifle is a main battle rifle. A sniper rifle is a sniper rifle. a pistol is a pistol. a machine pistol is a machine pistol. a carbine is a carbine. These categories are extremely useful, they actually exist in official firearms nomenclature, and now we are supposed to be afraid of them because the government might disapprove? FYK the government!

CaptainAmerica
08-26-2011, 03:42 PM
So I shouldn't be allowed to call a sports car a sports car unless I keep it on a racetrack? I shouldn't call a touring sedan 'touring' unless I'm taking it on cross country trips? C'mon man, that makes no sense. I don't let the government have that kind of control over me.

An assault rifle is an assault rifle. A main battle rifle is a main battle rifle. A sniper rifle is a sniper rifle. a pistol is a pistol. a machine pistol is a machine pistol. a carbine is a carbine. These categories are extremely useful, they actually exist in official firearms nomenclature, and now we are supposed to be afraid of them because the government might disapprove? FYK the government! In law you shouldn't be able to call a sports car a sports car. Insurance racket to charge you more mandated insurance rates for owning a "sports" car;)

febo
08-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Ron Paul wants every lunatic to have a tank so they can roll over women and children while blowing away the family dog.

I expect to see this as a headline in the HuffPost now.

Anti Federalist
08-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Yeah, that's not gonna happen. Talk about getting blatantly misconstrued and taken out of context! The media and his opponents would be all over the place within 24 hours telling people that Ron Paul wants every lunatic to have a tank so they can roll over women and children while blowing away the family dog. Very unwise.

Fact is, you can acquire a tank with more ease than you can a true MBR or "assault weapon".

Verrater
08-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Fact is, you can acquire a tank with more ease than you can a true MBR or "assault weapon".

Flamethrowers too.

CaptainAmerica
08-26-2011, 03:58 PM
bottom line is : the u.s. government doesn't like competition.

GunnyFreedom
08-26-2011, 04:12 PM

True enough, although an M1 Garand is a true MBR and we can still get those, even though Obama just banned their reimportation. Just like Billary Clintoon.

CplKoontz
09-02-2011, 07:07 PM
There aren't any flea markets in your neck of the woods? Easy to find in SC, and private sales are not monitored in most states.

eb

Oh yeah!!! there are 4 within a hour of me:) and they sell then for cheap:)! Going to buy 2 of them next weekend:)

georgiaboy
09-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Pick up a rock and throw it at somebody and poof, it becomes an assault weapon.

or a snowball.

TruckinMike
09-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Not really. It's hard to assault a machine gun nest with a sniper rifle.
Not to be argumentative or to diminish your point, but for others reasons, I give you Sam Woodfill, Medal of Honor winner.

http://www.rwva.info/images/samwoodfillpic-lowres.jpg

...Captain Woodfill was armed with the legendary Model 1903 Springfield rifle...In a church steeple at better than 300 yards' range, Woodfill killed a succession of five German machine gunners in a row with a single clip from his rifle, silencing the first gun. Another Spandau opened up from the hayloft of a barn. One shot from Woodfill silenced it. Perhaps he hit the gun itself and put it out of commission. Stalking the next machine gun, Woodfill hit a pocket of mustard gas in a shell hole, but kept going. Suffering from the gas and his eyes tearing and watering, Woodfill nonetheless spotted the next machine gun only 40 yards away, its heavy muzzle peeking from thick foliage. He drew his Colt 1911 .45-caliber pistol and set it beside him, then began firing his rifle. With five shots, he killed the first machine gunner and four additional men who tried to man the gun. A sixth German went for the gun, and Woodfill snatched up his Colt .45 and silenced him too, with a head shot from 40 yards. Advancing on the machine gun nest, a seventh man appeared and Woodfill took him out with the .45 also. Shortly thereafter, the company runner spotted a camouflaged German sniper in a tree and Woodfill, with his rifle reloaded, brought him down with a single shot. Soon they found another machine gun nest. Five shots from Woodfill's rifle killed five more men. Three ammo bearers in the nest wisely surrendered. Then came a fifth machine gun. Five more rounds cracked from the Springfield. Five more Germans died. Then Sam took cover in a trench that had two more Germans in it. He shot the first with his .45, which then jammed, so he dispatched the second man with a pick axe found in the hole.

I thought that you might enjoy this story.:)

TMike

Paul4Prez
09-03-2011, 12:34 AM
I really want to get a gun, but I refuse to go onto the government's list of people who are dangerous.

It's too late to worry about that! You've posted on Ron Paul Forums; you're undoubtedly already on the government's list of "dangerous" people!

asurfaholic
09-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Not to be argumentative or to diminish your point, but for others reasons, I give you Sam Woodfill, Medal of Honor winner.

http://www.rwva.info/images/samwoodfillpic-lowres.jpg

I thought that you might enjoy this story.:)

TMike

Thanks, im foaming at the mouth now...

Time to get my COD fix