PDA

View Full Version : PPP: Ron Paul gets 15% in 3-way race Mitt 33% Paul 15% Obama 45%

Harald
08-25-2011, 02:29 PM
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_US_0825.pdf

Agorism
08-25-2011, 02:37 PM
nice...kind of

libertybrewcity
08-25-2011, 02:38 PM
I really don't like PPP. Why are they wasting their time with this bs? What do they think we're some joke? They'll waste their time with some bs independent run poll, but they won't poll us nationally just against Obama?

KramerDSP
08-25-2011, 02:40 PM
This Shows that it's either Ron Paul or four more years of Barack Obama. Your choice, GOP!

JamesButabi
08-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Yep....all they are trying to do is discredit Paul in an way possible. Hes already said no 3rd party run. Poll him nationally as a Republican just like he deserves you cowards.

pauliticalfan
08-25-2011, 02:43 PM
PPP has some kind of grudge against RP and his supporters. And I'm not just saying that because I don't like their results. There are many, many documented incidents of them making demoralizing and rude comments about RP/ RP voters. It's really juvenile and repulsive.

kylejack
08-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Silly poll. Several of the states have filing deadlines which are prior to their Republican primary, and you can't participate in the primary if you've filed to run Independent, hence it makes no sense for us to try an Indy campaign if/when we lose the GOP nomination.

johnrocks
All this is irrelevant, RP needs to break 20% by the first of the year.

klamath
I really don't like PPP. Why are they wasting their time with this bs? What do they think we're some joke? They'll waste their time with some bs independent run poll, but they won't poll us nationally just against Obama?
because they are a democratic pollster and they want to encourage RP to run independent. These are the best numbers for obama's reelection. A minority president is still president ask clinton and bush II.

ItsTime
BUT they wont do a head to head with Obama, what a bunch of propagandists.

ronpaulyourmom
08-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Yep....all they are trying to do is discredit Paul in an way possible. Hes already said no 3rd party run. Poll him nationally as a Republican just like he deserves you cowards.

Dont think he refused a 3rd party run I think he just refused to talk about it given that he's doing fairly well in the republican primary? Slight distinction imo.

I for one am glad they ran the poll.

kah13176
08-25-2011, 02:50 PM
I think it's accurate.

Rasmussen has the spread Paul/Obama at 39/38.

100 - (39 + 38) = 23% that don't like either choice. That 23% plus some of Obama's/Paul's "leaner" support in the Rasmussen probably went to Romney in this 3-way.

invisible
08-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Wait a second! Isn't this above the threshold they wanted Ron to poll at against other candidates before matching him up directly against only obomba? Now that he's polling above whatever that percentage was against more than one candidate, they'll poll just him against obomba, right? After all, they never said anything about exactly who those other multiple candidates were, or how many of them, right? Time to call PPP out on their BS!

Also, hopefully this poll will get people to stop talking about an indie run that cannot be won and isn't going to happen.

JoshLowry
08-25-2011, 03:05 PM
BUT they wont do a head to head with Obama, what a bunch of propagandists.

I'm not sure if PPP thinks this won't hurt their reputation.

It won't go away, that's for sure.

It's August 2011.

ItsTime
08-25-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm not sure if PPP thinks this won't hurt their reputation.

It won't go away, that's for sure.

Between this and their tweets they are acting VERY unprofessional.

klamath
08-25-2011, 03:07 PM
For anybody believing this is great look at it this way. RP is polling within 1 point of defeating Obama as a republican as an independent RP get's his A** handed to him with a 30 point loss.

LatinsforPaul
08-25-2011, 03:07 PM
All this is irrelevant, RP needs to break 20% by the first of the year.

He will and you can take that to the bank.

invisible
08-25-2011, 03:11 PM
How could it possibly hurt their reputation to accurately predict Ron Paul winning the general election against obomba? :) I think they've been secretly polling him directly against obomba all along, and just don't want to admit the results. Perhaps a combination of them being called out as I described above and other polling companies doing Paul vs obomba matchups will eventually back them into a corner.

RP Supporter
08-25-2011, 03:15 PM
So let me get this straight... they can poll a totally unrealistic scenario of Paul going third party, but they won't bother polling Paul as the Republican nominee? It's clear they have an agenda at this point, since they could have easily polled Paul with the either Republicans in the time it took them to do this poll.

johnrocks
08-25-2011, 03:16 PM
He will and you can take that to the bank.

I think he will too.:)

emr1028
08-25-2011, 03:16 PM
You guys are all missing the point of this poll. The point isn't to see what would happen if Paul ran as a third party, the point is to see what would happen if a popular independent ran as a third party, and RP happens to be one of the few notable "independents" that are worth using in the poll. We should be flattered that they bothered to recognize this. Romney was chosen because he's essentially "generic republican" and the point of the poll was to figure out which side a serious third party candidate would play spoiler to. Stop whining about how unfair the poll is and take a second to look at what it shows. We beat better known and more mainstream candidates like Bloomberg and Huntsman. We should be happy with this.

ScotTX
08-25-2011, 03:17 PM
this shows that it's either ron paul or four more years of barack obama. Your choice, gop!

this!

ronpaulyourmom
08-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Also, hopefully this poll will get people to stop talking about an indie run that cannot be won and isn't going to happen.

You're probably right that he can’t win an independent run, but if we fail to get the republican nomination then I'd like to see him run 3rd party anyway. I honestly believe that even a mildly successful 3rd party run would do more to reshape politics in this country than anything else. In particular I think it would force the neocon wing of the republican party to become more non-interventionist and the social conservative wing to become less authoritarian, or else risk of becoming completely irrelevant in future elections. A double digit 3rd party run would send shockwaves through the political world, and republican politics especially. I think the only candidate other than Ron Paul with even a slight chance against Obama is Romney, and in the slight chance that Romney were to win, not much would change in the long run.

anaconda
08-25-2011, 03:32 PM
It is important for the GOP to understand that Ron can take them down in a general election.

2young2vote
08-25-2011, 03:52 PM
15% He seems to be consistently getting in the mid teens in many polls recently. What does this tell me? Ron Paul supporters will be Ron Paul supporters no matter who gets the nomination.

Xenophage
08-25-2011, 03:54 PM
RP is a spoiler for the republican if he runs independent.

pauliticalfan
08-25-2011, 04:04 PM
If all the major networks agreed in advance to let Ron Paul and his VP nominee be in the general election debates, would you guys/RP change your mind on a third party run? If these kinds of specific agreements were made, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a third party run.

invisible
08-25-2011, 04:19 PM
You're probably right that he can’t win an independent run, but if we fail to get the republican nomination then I'd like to see him run 3rd party anyway. I honestly believe that even a mildly successful 3rd party run would do more to reshape politics in this country than anything else. In particular I think it would force the neocon wing of the republican party to become more non-interventionist and the social conservative wing to become less authoritarian, or else risk of becoming completely irrelevant in future elections. A double digit 3rd party run would send shockwaves through the political world, and republican politics especially. I think the only candidate other than Ron Paul with even a slight chance against Obama is Romney, and in the slight chance that Romney were to win, not much would change in the long run.

And just look at how wonderfully that worked out for people like John Anderson (no, not the vocalist for Yes - this is with the "h" in the first name) and Ross Perot. Those are the most successful independent / 3rd party Presidential candidates I can remember in my lifetime, and they sure didn't reshape anything in politics despite both of them being allowed into the debates. The only thing a Ron Paul indie run would reshape is to ruin Rand's chances in 2016.

specsaregood
08-25-2011, 04:26 PM
The only thing a Ron Paul indie run would reshape is to ruin Rand's chances in 2016.
And go down in history as the guy that gave Obama a 2nd term, wrong or right; that is how people would remember him. Just like nader is an outcast by most democrats now.

This is ALL part of a meme the left wants to push that Dr. Paul is not a republican, it is orchestrated for good reason.

The Free Hornet
08-25-2011, 04:43 PM
And go down in history as the guy that gave Obama a 2nd term, wrong or right; that is how people would remember him. Just like nader is an outcast by most democrats now.

Establishment Republicans have treated Ron Paul as an outcast ("not really a Republican", "zero chance of getting the nomination") and totally dumped all over his campaign and supporters. Their reporting has shown a total lack of ethics, class, and introspection as to their role in society.

Ron Paul will be viewed as a hero in or out of office. This, by the way, is the only way to progress. Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush 1, and Bush 2 have all increased the size and scope of government. The opposition to this trend is only strong with a democrat in the white house - so far. Seemingly, only Ron Paul can reverse that trend. Republicans weren't even able to stop the growth of government with the debt ceiling on their side. They had it won! No need for Obama in or out of office.

If I was Speaker of the House, and feeling generous, I would have let them borrow $50 billion in August, $49 billion in September, $48 billion in October, .... so on and so forth to zero. This would be plenty of time to start and orderly march to a balanced budget. Seriously, what would the Senate have done, NOT borrowed $50 billion when given the chance? Good. Would Obama veto $50 billion? Good. This *was* the opportunity to at least bend the spending curve down if not outright balance the budget.

So fuck them, fuck them all.

PAUL OR NOTHING!!!

Join The Paul Side
08-25-2011, 04:49 PM
It is important for the GOP to understand that Ron can take them down in a general election.

They already do. The big wigs at Fox have discussed this in a panel on Bret Baer's show. Neocons believe that a Ron Paul Indy run will cost them the election. Which is why I'm baffled as to why they really insist on pissing his supporters off with shit like that O'Reilly/Prick Morris hit piece last night.

I guess they would rather endure 4 more years of Obama than tolerate a Ron Paul presidency. :rolleyes:

parocks
08-25-2011, 05:16 PM
You guys are all missing the point of this poll. The point isn't to see what would happen if Paul ran as a third party, the point is to see what would happen if a popular independent ran as a third party, and RP happens to be one of the few notable "independents" that are worth using in the poll. We should be flattered that they bothered to recognize this. Romney was chosen because he's essentially "generic republican" and the point of the poll was to figure out which side a serious third party candidate would play spoiler to. Stop whining about how unfair the poll is and take a second to look at what it shows. We beat better known and more mainstream candidates like Bloomberg and Huntsman. We should be happy with this.

Agree. This is not a poll to get upset about.

I would be interested in the 1980 scenario.

Obama v Paul v 3p (bloomberg, especially) and
Obama v Palin v 3p (bloomberg, especially).

I'd want to see the national polls there, and the polls in NY, NJ, CT.

Also head to heads for the Republican nomination, especially Paul v Romney and Palin v Romney.

ThePursuitOfLiberty
08-25-2011, 05:43 PM
So if PPP won't do a head-to-head poll with Paul vs. Obama, why don't we just HIRE THEM and have them do it for us?

Or - we just get someone to pay for it... anyone have any idea what they charge?

Best way to beat the system is to play it to our advantage.

If anyone has any idea how I can go about doing this, I absolutely would.

harikaried
08-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Something seems quite odd with the data though. Head-to-head Romney and Obama split 45%-45%. Adding in Ron Paul leaves Obama at 45%. Except consistently, head-to-head matchups of Obama vs Ron Paul results in Obama getting the fewest votes.

Rasmussen:
Obama vs Romney: 46 vs 38 (Romney -8)
Obama vs Ron Paul: 39 vs 38 (Paul -1)

Arguably, Obama should be getting the smaller of the two percentages when going up against two contenders as it doesn't really make sense that just because there's another person in the race, someone who previously wouldn't have voted for Obama would then vote for Obama.

NYgs23
08-27-2011, 12:11 AM
15% is pretty huge for the third party candidate. This isn't bad news.

I wonder what would happen if bother Ron Paul and someone like Nader ran third party. RP might pull votes away from Romney, but Nader would from Obama, so there would be less perception of either being a "spoiler" which might encourage more people to support one or the other...

Karsten
08-27-2011, 12:37 AM
And just look at how wonderfully that worked out for people like John Anderson (no, not the vocalist for Yes - this is with the "h" in the first name) and Ross Perot. Those are the most successful independent / 3rd party Presidential candidates I can remember in my lifetime, and they sure didn't reshape anything in politics despite both of them being allowed into the debates. The only thing a Ron Paul indie run would reshape is to ruin Rand's chances in 2016.

Perot was leading both Bush and Clinton and would have won if he handled his campaign better and did not drop out and then drop back in toward the end. We wouldn't have had NAFTA, we wouldn't have the kind of debt we have now. I doubt Perot would have gotten involved nation building the way Clinton (and eventually Bush) did. I would love to see Ron Paul go for a 3rd party run if he doesn't win the nomination. Unfortunately, I think that's out of the question because of Rand and the sore loser laws. How many states have them, by the way? Anyone know?

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-27-2011, 12:38 AM
They already do. The big wigs at Fox have discussed this in a panel on Bret Baer's show. Neocons believe that a Ron Paul Indy run will cost them the election. Which is why I'm baffled as to why they really insist on pissing his supporters off with shit like that O'Reilly/Prick Morris hit piece last night.

I guess they would rather endure 4 more years of Obama than tolerate a Ron Paul presidency. :rolleyes:

Endure? If I didn't listen to the Daily Kos I'd almost think that Obama was a contributor for the Weekly Standard!

Karsten
08-27-2011, 12:40 AM
15% is pretty huge for the third party candidate. This isn't bad news.

I wonder what would happen if bother Ron Paul and someone like Nader ran third party. RP might pull votes away from Romney, but Nader would from Obama, so there would be less perception of either being a "spoiler" which might encourage more people to support one or the other...

Good point... However, Paul would get AT LEAST 15%, while Nader would get AT MOST 2% in my opinion :p

UWDude
08-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Not this time aroudn he hasn't. this time around, he has said "we haven't even gotten around to that, we are focusing on here" or something to that effect.

TER
08-27-2011, 12:47 AM
This Shows that it's either Ron Paul or four more years of Barack Obama. Your choice, GOP!

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!!