PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul supporters attempting 10 million dollar cash infusion

conner_condor
11-04-2007, 01:36 AM
Ron Paul supporters are attempting a one day 10 million dollar cash infusion into the Republican presidential candidate’s campaign coffers.

The plan has been circulating on various internet websites for 1 hundred thousand people to make a 1 hundred dollar donation on November 5th. If Paul’s supporters follow through they will give Ron Paul a one day pop of 10 million dollars.

The amazing part about the fund raising drive is that Ron Paul's campaign said they had nothing to do with it and that it was just a spontaneous idea that caught on among Ron Paul supporters in online communities and websites like This November 5th.
http://www.usadaily.com/article.cfm?articleID=143298

foofighter20x
11-04-2007, 06:19 AM
this is bad... they didn't do an ounce of research... we only have like 15,000 people signed on which means only $1.5M if they only donate the $100 pledge...

*sigh* journalists... they are either lazy, biased as all fark, or both. :(

bootstrap
11-04-2007, 06:35 AM
Ever notice how refreshing it is to listen to Ron Paul? Sure, honesty is one big reason, but also, unlike everyone else in just about every profession, Ron Paul tends to understate slightly - or at least not overstate.

Therefore, please do NOT start another $5 million dollar bomb campaign!!!

Even if by some miracle $4.8 million IS donated on November 5th, you know what much of the media will say --- it FAILED (to meet the goal).

On the other hand, consider the reaction if the originators of this idea asked for exactly the same thing --- for everyone to donate $100 or more on November 5th, but then stated an approximate goal of $1 million dollars.

THEN what would the media say if $4.8 million dollars flooded in? Answer: They'd all pee their pants and go nuts.

Learn from this please. I urge everyone to max out on November 5th, give $500 or $1000 or $2300 to the campaign - to try to undo this unfortunate mistake. But please, please, please learn from this mistake. Understate. It works much better.

Midnight77
11-04-2007, 06:59 AM
I'm predicting we'll hit $1 to $1.5 Million. It should have never been marketed as 100,000 supporters donating $100. We are going to have egg on our faces after this. And I agree. We should always under-state.

TruckinMike
11-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Good Point... from a salesman and contractors point of view -- "Never OVER sell yourself" It can come back to bite you in the ass.

"It'll be done in 2 days" -- oops, the wholesaler won't be getting any XYZ material for another 3 days -- busted

"This system will save you $300 a month"... the bill comes in and they only saved $150 --oops --- Busted ---think how happy the customer would have been if you told them it would save them $100 a month...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, we can learn from this, however either way you look at the "5th" it has been a smashing success.

To calm anxiety ask yourself this question "would the campaign be better with the "5th" or without it?"

Truckinmike

bootstrap
11-04-2007, 08:41 AM
We are better off trying to donate as much as possible every day. Forget the money bombs! In fact, forget ALL forms of self-gratifying games.

To make Ron Paul win the republican primaries, we need to focus our efforts OUTWARD --- to people who never [or barely] heard of Ron Paul and his ideas.

We need to convince people to vote in the primaries for Ron Paul, and we need to physically take them to vote to make sure this happens. Sure, it is fun to talk with other Ron Paul fans, but it gets us NOTHING --- in 2 or 3 months we'll all be looking for a semi-safe country to move to if we do not focus our time and energy exclusively on what needs to happen now, and make it happen.

walt
11-04-2007, 08:45 AM
this is bad... they didn't do an ounce of research... we only have like 15,000 people signed on which means only $1.5M if they only donate the $100 pledge...

*sigh* journalists... they are either lazy, biased as all fark, or both. :(

hey you clowns put all that data on the top of the page. anyone with a clue would have written - raise the most from the grassroots in one day of history not a specific number. hopefully you clowns will understand why I said this was a bad idea - the goal was too large, too specifc and the server is not ready.

KewlRonduderules
11-04-2007, 08:54 AM
You all need to chill. Whatever we raise, we will do just fine. I can guarantee it will at least be 1 million dollars. Moreover, I know of at least 10 people who did not sign up on the november 5th page and will either send their checks via mail or will donate on the internet on that day. We'll be fine.

I think many will be surprised.

Man from La Mancha
11-04-2007, 08:57 AM
We are better off trying to donate as much as possible every day. Forget the money bombs! In fact, forget ALL forms of self-gratifying games.

To make Ron Paul win the republican primaries, we need to focus our efforts OUTWARD --- to people who never [or barely] heard of Ron Paul and his ideas.

We need to convince people to vote in the primaries for Ron Paul, and we need to physically take them to vote to make sure this happens. Sure, it is fun to talk with other Ron Paul fans, but it gets us NOTHING --- in 2 or 3 months we'll all be looking for a semi-safe country to move to if we do not focus our time and energy exclusively on what needs to happen now, and make it happen. Negative waveshttp://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.amachron.com/ODDBALL_SAYS.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.amachron.com/kellys_heroes.htm&h=824&w=568&sz=82&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=ZojYzZQ0n6a01M:&tbnh=144&tbnw=99&prev=/images%3Fq%3Doddball%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3D en%26sa%3DN

How can you preach are you god do know what the results would be without these efforts what all the naysayers don't have clue about is the millions in PR that these stunts generate, already Ron has his named mentioned again for free and the day is not here yet. What is wrong with people wanting to have fun and do this.

As far as the comments"oh the media won't report this well because we didn't reach our goal attitude" sounds anal retentive to me. They don't care what our goals were ,they only see big dollar signs. When will people lighten up. 100 million is still possible.

Mr. White
11-04-2007, 09:00 AM
I think many on this board have lost touch with reality. I hope you prove me wrong...

bootstrap
11-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Everyone must learn from their mistakes. Those of us who believe we are wiser (or would have been) should not be far more helpful than critical. Their "sin" was to let their well placed enthusiasm overcome their better judgement and careful thought. Too late to undo this.

As long as they understand now, we should make the best of the situation, donate $500, $1000 or $2300 each instead of $100, then be more careful and continue with our efforts.

HOWEVER --- brilliant idea ???

If those in charge of this November 5th effort: please IMMEDIATELY remove the specific $10 million language everywhere you can!!! Then, when the media makes images or copies of the web-pages AND the donation pages, they will find it much more difficult to show the $10-million versus actual-donation contradiction!

Get on it fellows! Please!

bolidew
11-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Come on, even if MSM try to discredit us, their readers are not that stupid on such a simple matter.

Man from La Mancha
11-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Everyone must learn from their mistakes. Those of us who believe we are wiser (or would have been) should not be far more helpful than critical. Their "sin" was to let their well placed enthusiasm overcome their better judgement and careful thought. Too late to undo this.

As long as they understand now, we should make the best of the situation, donate $500, $1000 or $2300 each instead of $100, then be more careful and continue with our efforts.

HOWEVER --- brilliant idea ???

If those in charge of this November 5th effort: please IMMEDIATELY remove the specific $10 million language everywhere you can!!! Then, when the media makes images or copies of the web-pages AND the donation pages, they will find it much more difficult to show the $10-million versus actual-donation contradiction!

Get on it fellows! Please!No frickin way, if you want to lower your sight in your life fine but don't drag down our dreams and goals. When and if you can ever strive to be more than you are then maybe you might understand, till then just stay in your little limited world. IMO no offense.

klamath
11-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Setting the goal so high sure will give the media an oportunity to spin it that the drive failed even if we raise 9 million but despite the media event failure Nov 5th will be a huge infusion of money for the campaign to advertizein the early states and that is the most important.

Cindy
11-04-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm predicting we'll hit $1 to $1.5 Million. It should have never been marketed as 100,000 supporters donating $100. We are going to have egg on our faces after this. And I agree. We should always under-state.

Yes, there never should have been a goal including 100,000 supporters. There also shouldn't be goals for the month on Pauls web-site.

Even when we do well with either, all things considered, if we don't reach the goals, we end up looking like failures with small support, instead of successes with lots of growing support for the "fringe" candidate.

Do your best to ignore this stuff though.

Paul is wise with the money he gets and regardless of what is raised on the 5th, he will be using it for TV and radio comercials to spread the message. Only the Big Players can run a lot of TV comercials and Paul can, will and is doing that in the early states. The media can not stop that, or new supporters being generated from happening.

A goal should only ever be set by the campaign or us, when there is a specific dollar amount needed to fund a project. Otherwise, fundraising drives should be left wide open. That way, the only thing the media can report is how well we did, not how we missed the goal and fell short.

I do beleive there will be large some of donaters for the 5th who did not subscribe. I will be donating something and didn't subscribe. I figured, for those who did and won't, I would rather mine just make up for theirs.

Sematary
11-04-2007, 09:14 AM

We need to convince people to vote in the primaries for Ron Paul, and we need to physically take them to vote to make sure this happens. Sure, it is fun to talk with other Ron Paul fans, but it gets us NOTHING --- in 2 or 3 months we'll all be looking for a semi-safe country to move to if we do not focus our time and energy exclusively on what needs to happen now, and make it happen.

What's with all the negativity from you folks?

Point 1. This website isn't read by anyone so who cares?
Point 2. I thought the article was fine
Point 3. The campaign (which is NOT involved in this effort) is not going to be labeled failures or given negative press by this effort
Point 4. There are almost 2000 pledgers now and tons of people who DIDN'T pledge because they don't have $100 but plan on donating whatever they can anyway on that date.
Point 5. Many of the people who pledged are planning on donating MORE than $100 on Nov. 5
Point 6. BECAUSE of points 4 and 5, this effort will STILL bring in a one day cash infusion by the grassroots the likes of which the OM and the establishment has never seen before
Point 7. The LAST thing this effort needs is a bunch of naysayers pissing on the effort
Point 8. The only thing that put a negative spin on this effort is naysayers like yourself so cut it out.

peruvianRP
11-04-2007, 09:16 AM
i did no sign..but oi'll donate

Man from La Mancha
11-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Setting the goal so high sure will give the media an oportunity to spin it that the drive failed even if we raise 9 million but despite the media event failure Nov 5th will be a huge infusion of money for the campaign to advertizein the early states and that is the most important. more of those negative waves Moriarty..http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.amachron.com/ODDBALL_SAYS.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.amachron.com/kellys_heroes.htm&h=824&w=568&sz=82&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=ZojYzZQ0n6a01M:&tbnh=144&tbnw=99&prev=/images%3Fq%3Doddball%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3D en%26sa%3DN...yes god you know it all I will just lay down and die now in your infinite wisdom of future events. Oh how terrible it will be to say we reach 9 million more than ever has been done before yet we failed our goal. Whoa is us. Reminds me of the programming of a dumbed down generation. Lets dumbed down our goals than try to reach them.

KewlRonduderules
11-04-2007, 09:18 AM
What's with all the negativity from you folks?

Point 1. This website isn't read by anyone so who cares?
Point 2. I thought the article was fine
Point 3. The campaign (which is NOT involved in this effort) is not going to be labeled failures or given negative press by this effort
Point 4. There are almost 2000 pledgers now and tons of people who DIDN'T pledge because they don't have $100 but plan on donating whatever they can anyway on that date.
Point 5. Many of the people who pledged are planning on donating MORE than $100 on Nov. 5
Point 6. BECAUSE of points 4 and 5, this effort will STILL bring in a one day cash infusion by the grassroots the likes of which the OM and the establishment has never seen before
Point 7. The LAST thing this effort needs is a bunch of naysayers pissing on the effort
Point 8. The only thing that put a negative spin on this effort is naysayers like yourself so cut it out.

Exactly!

:cool:

Sematary
11-04-2007, 09:18 AM
http://too-far.net/istrip_files/strips/20060223.png

Ron Paul Fan
11-04-2007, 09:21 AM
It doesn't matter what they write. Imagine if they say this, "Ron Paul comes up $8.5 million short of fundraising goal, only raises $1.5 million in one day." If I were reading that, I'd say $1.5 million in one day is pretty impressive for some flaky fringe candidate. They can spin it however they want, but if we even get over $1 million I'd say that would be a success! We'd already be at $4 million for the quarter and it wouldn't even be halfway over yet.

bootstrap
11-04-2007, 09:21 AM
You should read a persons posts before you form an opinion. If you had, you would find that I have been trying to get people to donate $500, $1000 or $2300 to attempt to make November 5th as impressive as possible! Don't get mad at people trying to help you, which we are. We all HOPE we are wrong and $20M appears and blows away the $10M number they promoted.

Do not panic! You must be in a panic to call us naysayers --- naysayers for asking people to donate $500 or $1000 or $2300 to generate the biggest pop possible?

You must be kidding! :-o

Thunderbolt
11-04-2007, 09:22 AM

frasu
11-04-2007, 09:24 AM
c'mon now, how can it be, even 1 million in one day, a failure? we worry too much instead of celebrating our strong will to get together and donate for our man, big time... This has more positive connotations no matter how u spin it... and for some reporter or loon blogger to say we failed, that is pathetic. those people are going to question us and cry foul, even if we bank 20 mill... others' hatred needs no mistakes from our part

let's take the good and the bad knowing we are right... couple more hours and we could act on out will...

RP2008

Thunderbolt
11-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Bootstrap, your post was great. Ignore these people.

Sematary
11-04-2007, 09:26 AM
You should read a persons posts before you form an opinion. If you had, you would find that I have been trying to get people to donate $500, $1000 or $2300 to attempt to make November 5th as impressive as possible! Don't get mad at people trying to help you, which we are. We all HOPE we are wrong and $20M appears and blows away the $10M number they promoted.

Do not panic! You must be in a panic to call us naysayers --- naysayers for asking people to donate $500 or $1000 or $2300 to generate the biggest pop possible?

You must be kidding! :-o

All I see in this thread is a constant string of negativity.
Oh, the press is going to spin this (pick a direction)
We should never set our goals so high (WTF?)
Nov. 5 has bad connotations (Says who?)
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

LibertyEagle
11-04-2007, 09:30 AM
I think the only thing they are saying is that it is better to ...

Under promise and over deliver.

bootstrap
11-04-2007, 09:32 AM
I am on your side! You must know that! So, I apologize if I (or others) sounded negative. I know you are bummed because you care so much about Ron Paul winning. So do we all.

I can absolutely guarantee you that ALL we are trying to do is estimate the very best way to handle FUTURE endeavors. We ALL know we must try to make the November 5th event as successful as possible. We are ONLY discussing what is the best future policy --- and ONLY to be as successful as possible in the long run.

Please understand none of us is trying to be cricital to attack --- only to learn from the past (woops - almost the present at this point). Where's my credit card...

NinjaPirate
11-04-2007, 09:33 AM
If Paul were top tier like Ghoul or Clinton a one day fundraiser which amounted to a million would not be big news. However, for an "underdog/blackhorse" candidate to raise $1mill in a day is awesome.

Mr. White
11-04-2007, 09:41 AM
I think the only thing they are saying is that it is better to ...

Under promise and over deliver.

Bingo.

paulitics
11-04-2007, 09:55 AM
A wise man once said " the trouble wiith most of us is that we would rather be runied by praise than saved by criticism".

klamath
11-04-2007, 10:13 AM
I am all for the Nov 5th money drive and you won't find my name in the whole argument about the V and what not. It was partially promoted as a media event to make our campaign look huge. If you fall short of your stated goals it makes it look like you are over estimating your strength which is the exact opposite of what we want. Look at it this way. What if RP had been going around to all the media talking about how he had raised 10 million for the 3rd quarter and then had to report 5 million how would that have come off.
On the other hand I totally agree that people have to set high goals to strive for. In the end the media will spin it any way they want to and that is why our focus should be on raising the money so RP can communicate directly to the American people and not have to rely on the media.

freedominnumbers
11-04-2007, 10:15 AM
I have a game. Let's call it the Family Tree game.

The winner is the person who can trace 2300$ donations to Ron Paul the highest up their family tree.

Phil M
11-04-2007, 10:24 AM
I personally don't see a problem with the 10 million number. Is was ridiculously high to begin with and was just a way to get a lot of people on board. If anyone in the media can spin a "longshot" raising 1 million dollars in one day as a bad thing, then we're closer to tyranny than I thought.

bootstrap
11-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Yes, the only point is "under promise, over deliver".

One or two of you seem to believe "under promise" means you cannot (silently) HOPE to massively over deliver! Hey, we are all for "beating expectations"! We are not for "giving up on great results". You miss this very important point.

If you listen to the news at all, you will hear many people talk about people and companies purposely (and wisely) setting low expectations and then beating them, because that impresses people and leads to better results. This happens with just about every public company every quarter - they estimate earnings BELOW what they believe (and hope) they can achieve, because their stock jumps when they beat the [lowered] expectations that THEY established.

Let's max out our credit cards and/or donation limits, make November 5th successful as possible, and learn the lesson - don't suggest specific (or high)expectations in future "stunts" or "endeavors". But go ahead and dream of shockingly fantastic results if you want (but if you do, don't be bummed out if you don't reach them).

Hopefully that settles everything. We are definitely all on the same team here.

mojohnk2000
11-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Yesterday I was campaigning at the Stanford-Washington game. Tuff crowd! I talked with a young man, a student who worked as a waiter to make ends meet. He told me that he does not visit this forum. He also told me that he has been saving for two months just to make his donation tomorrow. Don't worry all press is good.