PDA

View Full Version : Your suggestions for the Sept. 7th NBC-Politico debate

Bruno
08-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Keeing it constructive, what would you like to see/hear from Ron Paul in the September 7th NBC-Politico debate?

The campaign does read these threads, so it is your opportunity to speak up now and perhaps have that feedback implemented, instead of waiting for criticism after-the-fact.

I would like to hear Ron Paul specifically say a few times, "As President, I would..."

I would like to hear a few specific mentions of Rick Perry's name by Ron Paul, with regards to a change in policy, a difference in opinion, his sudden mentioning of the Federal Reserve, Gardisil episode, or whatever Ron would like to address. It provides the opportunity for him to differentiate himself against the newly #1, unvetted Perry, and also allows the chance for a rebuttal if Perry mentions Ron in his response, garnering possibly more airtime.

I would like to see Ron mention slip in somehow in a response to a question, or perhaps as his prepared closing, that his is polls best against Obama in head-to-head matchups over any other candidate on stage.

Additionally, I would like to see Ron in a well-tailored suit and tie, and hear a measured, clear delivery of prepared points on a variety of topics.

Your thoughts?

bluesc
08-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Absolutely agree on mentioning that he polls best vs Obama.

If he goes after Perry, the debate will quickly become Ron vs Perry, record vs record, and we all know who will come out on top of that one. It would also absolutely dominate the media coverage afterwards.

One thing that I've noticed is that when he is asked a two part question, he never really gets on to the 2nd part. It would be nice to see that.

Basically just dominate the stage and keep bringing the attention to Perrys terrible record.

Razmear
08-25-2011, 11:54 AM
A 5% polling requirement for participation. Time to make it a 4 person race.

eb

jason43
08-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Focused concise answers to the questions. Avoid dragging related issues into specific questions. We know all the issues are related but to non-supporters, the answers seem rambling. And keep doing what he does with rebukes of Santorum and (in 08) Guiliani) because those moments really make the debates. Also mention the ability to reach democrats and independent voters in a way that none of the other candidates can.

Also repeatedly refer to Gov Perry as "President Bush".

iamse7en
08-25-2011, 12:01 PM

That would be nice... More air time for liberty.

smartguy911
08-25-2011, 12:10 PM
I think Dr. Paul did a really good job in this video and hopefully he will answer questions the same way during the debate -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtOdUbiW9i8

Bruno
08-25-2011, 12:19 PM
I think Dr. Paul did a really good job in this video and hopefully he will answer questions the same way during the debate -

Agreed. Nice that that video the scroll showed gold at a record $1830 and ounce, vindicating what Ron Paul has been advocating for years.

JamesButabi
08-25-2011, 12:21 PM
If he wants to win, he needs to openly and concisely address the main talking points that push his support down. He needs to speak strongly.

-Foreign Policy: "Despite what the media says, im not an isolationist. I will protect this country with every bone in my body and bolster our defenses. I will not police the world and bankrupt our nation. I will not use our soldiers carelessly. If we are going to war, we will have a clear motive, a clear goal, and we will win quickly and decisively. Our troops deserve better!"

-Seniors: "Politicians have robbed our entitlement system to pay for their whims. I'm the only one up here with a plan to fund Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid for the people who are dependent on them. I will not leave our seniors and our needy to fend for themselves. I have never voted to steal from Americans, and I never will."

Gold Standard: "I do prefer money that has real tangible value however despite what the pundits say, I will not uproot the system for a gold standard. I will however fight to expose the fraud I know exists in our system and allow competition to people who desire it."

3 points.......simple.......and Ron Paul probably would jump 5% in the polls overnight.

LisaNY
08-25-2011, 12:24 PM
I hope they don't even bring up Iran because most people in this country don't give a damn about Iran, they are all worried about the economy. But alas I have little faith in the pundits to address the real issues people care about.

Bruno
08-25-2011, 12:25 PM
If he wants to win, he needs to openly and concisely address the main talking points that push his support down. He needs to speak strongly.

-Foreign Policy: "Despite what the media says, im not an isolationist. I will protect this country with every bone in my body and bolster our defenses. I will not police the world and bankrupt our nation. I will not use our soldiers carelessly. If we are going to war, we will have a clear motive, a clear goal, and we will win quickly and decisively. Our troops deserve better!"

-Seniors: "Politicians have robbed our entitlement system to pay for their whims. I'm the only one up here with a plan to fund Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid for the people who are dependent on them. I will not leave our seniors and our needy to fend for themselves. I have never voted to steal from Americans, and I never will."

Gold Standard: "I do prefer money that has real tangible value however despite what the pundits say, I will not uproot the system for a gold standard. I will however fight to expose the fraud I know exists in our system and allow competition to people who desire it."

3 points.......simple.......and Ron Paul probably would jump 5% in the polls overnight.

Good suggestions

Razmear
08-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Just found out the requirements:

The Politico/NBC News debate had an interesting threshold for qualifying candidates: They must be at 4 percent in one of eight national prominent polls of Republicans taken since November 2010.

Source: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/275552/next-debates-convenient-qualifications-threshold-katrina-trinko#
The standards are just high enough to exclude Johnson, but include Santorum.

eb

Bruno
08-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Just found out the requirements:

Source: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/275552/next-debates-convenient-qualifications-threshold-katrina-trinko#
The standards are just high enough to exclude Johnson, but include Santorum.

Engineered that way, I'm sure.

My questions is, will Palin be included at the last minute, if she jumps in the race on the 3rd? She has polled high enough to be included.

RabbitMan
08-25-2011, 12:30 PM
I would like to see Ron mention slip in somehow in a response to a question, or perhaps as his prepared closing, that his is polls best against Obama in head-to-head matchups over any other candidate on stage.

Your thoughts?

Good suggestions, but he does not poll best against Obama. Mitt Romney does(actually beating), and I believe Perry at least ties. Ron still typically loses by 1 percentile.

Fermli
08-25-2011, 12:30 PM
I'd rather Ron boast about his economic predictions than go into attack mode on Perry. Talking about the other candidates as a group or as a set of ideas is more respectable way to go about it.

Razmear
08-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Engineered that way, I'm sure.

My questions is, will Palin be included at the last minute, if she jumps in the race on the 3rd? She has polled high enough to be included.

The sooner she joins the sooner she fails, so I'm all for her jumping in the race on the 3rd. The worst case scenario is her jumping in a couple of weeks before Iowa.

eb

AlexAmore
08-25-2011, 12:33 PM

Yes, this is excellent.

Join The Paul Side
08-25-2011, 12:36 PM
I want him to emphasize that he would not be a wimpy president.

I was reading an article this morning on Hot Air about Dr. Paul and several neocons debated us in the comments section about Dr. Paul being too passive.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/08/24/oh-my-obama-39-ron-paul-38/

Back in the 2007 presidential debates he said that if Congress declared war then he would go in and fight it with overwhelming force to win it quickly and come home. I would like to hear him emphasize this again if the opportunity presents itself. :D

tfurrh
08-25-2011, 12:40 PM
boast

Bruno
08-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Good suggestions, but he does not poll best against Obama. Mitt Romney does(actually beating), and I believe Perry at least ties. Ron still typically loses by 1 percentile.

I thought he did in the Rasmussen poll?

I'd rather Ron boast about his economic predictions than go into attack mode on Perry. Talking about the other candidates as a group or as a set of ideas is more respectable way to go about it.

I can see that, and it is not Ron's style, though he does seem to make an exception with Perry when asked specifically.

Shane Harris
08-25-2011, 12:44 PM
INCOME TAX- no income tax would still leave our federal government with revenue equivalent to late 90s. much easier argument than the fact that we didnt have an income tax before 1913, a very easy argument for most people to dismiss as old-fashioned and archaic.

FOREIGN POLICY- economy, economy, economy. we cannot afford our military adventurism and distinguish the difference between isolationism and non-interventionism. you cannot be small government, conservative, constitutional, or tea-party and support interventionism. bringing the troops home helps our economy.

DRUGS- states rights.

Bern
08-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Prepare yourself for answering questions about how you will accomplish anything with a hostile Congress. Some people think that is a vulnerable issue to push with you after the last debate. My suggestion:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?308247-Tom-Woods-has-great-debate-suggestions-for-Ron-Paul&p=3460078&viewfull=1#post3460078

Prepare to answer charges that the campaign is at fault for the lack of media coverage (because they aren't communicating with media invitations/requests).

Please discuss your action items / solutions. Don't assume people are going to read your campaign website, watch youtube videos, etc. Don't get stuck like Ross Perot in only discussing the problems.

eok321
08-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Speak slower and more relaxed. Try not to get too animated when surrounded by a bunch of ass hats.

Like in this vid:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtTfqFhJDN0

TexasJake
08-25-2011, 12:59 PM

^This - It is exactly what he has been saying, but in a focused way where the average Joe can understand it quickly.

AJ Antimony
08-25-2011, 01:22 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?298611-Ok-I-ll-do-it.-I-ll-be-Ron-Paul-s-debate-coach

mello
08-25-2011, 01:24 PM
He needs shorter, concise positions that can be easily remembered by the voters. For example:

On the war:

I am the only republican candidate that wants to end our wasteful, undeclared wars. Our soldiers agreed with my position by donating more money to my campaign than all of the other republican candidates combined.

Shane Harris
08-25-2011, 01:37 PM

agreed. this

Dlynne
08-25-2011, 01:39 PM
I would like Ron Paul to make it absolutely clear that he is in this race to win, and not simply to promote ideas.

Join The Paul Side
08-25-2011, 02:10 PM
I would also like to see Ron brag, yes brag, on how he would be the only president that would truly put America first in these troubled times. It's time we see Dr. Paul address these neocon sissies with some swagger. :D

South Park Fan
08-25-2011, 02:19 PM
I hope they don't even bring up Iran because most people in this country don't give a damn about Iran, they are all worried about the economy. But alas I have little faith in the pundits to address the real issues people care about.

Even if they do, Paul can hopefully circumvent the issue by pointing out how the U.S. has attacked Iraq and Libya after they disarmed while giving aid to Pakistan and North Korea after they obtained nukes, which encourages countries like Iran to continue their nuclear ambitions. He should also reference Operation Opera as an example of how neighboring nations can take care of any supposed nuclear threat on their own.

anewvoice
08-25-2011, 03:59 PM
OH NO, just heard Rick Perry speak for the first time. He sounds JUST LIKE BUSH, even that damned stupid pause. NOOOOO, I can't take it again.

Phew, Ron Paul is going to win, I feel much better now. :)

eduardo89
08-25-2011, 04:02 PM

ebSuddenly Cain and Santorum and Huntsman will be polling 5.1%

RonPaulFever
08-25-2011, 04:08 PM
I would like Ron Paul to make it absolutely clear that he is in this race to win, and not simply to promote ideas.

YES.

A lot of supporters from the last campaign ended up feeling used. I have to admit that I am one of them, which is why I won't be 'taking it to the streets' like I did before. I will still donate and vote, but I feel a little jaded after spending 9 months of my life working damn near full-time to support a candidate who wasn't in it 100%. However, doing what you suggested would bring a lot of activists back into the fold who are ready to get back out there and spread the message.

jason43
08-25-2011, 04:12 PM
It will be interesting to see how exactly Perry does. He took the lead without anyone even knowing anything about him. Basically the press built him up as the answer and the public went for it. When the guy gets asked at the debate to explain the Fed, its gonna get funny. He's obviously an empty suit when you hear him speak. So far all anyone knows is that "he's the leader" and that he's good looking.

eduardo89
08-25-2011, 04:13 PM
It will be interesting to see how exactly Perry does. He took the lead without anyone even knowing anything about him. Basically the press built him up as the answer and the public went for it. When the guy gets asked at the debate to explain the Fed, its gonna get funny. He's obviously an empty suit when you hear him speak. So far all anyone knows is that "he's the leader" and that he's good looking.I'm sure the Bilderberg group is paying for great debate coaching

RIPLEYMOM
08-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Immigration. I love what he says about that; that he would streamline the immigration process while securing the borders. But then there's kind-of the pseudo amnesty-pleasing element of logic where he says that we couldn't possibly manage to send all illegals home; the task would be impossible and most of them have established lives here. He would rather focus on sending illegal law-breaking offenders home.

I remember RP talking about this very logically and thinking 'wow, he just sorta tipped his hat to illegals'. Pretty cool way to do it. I think by him talking about this important issue which has seldom been discussed in the debates, could gain him credible Latino votes...or, many votes from those who tend to lean towards amnesty, but won't quite go there.
Best of both worlds.

KingRobbStark
08-25-2011, 04:18 PM
I hate Perry. (Im going to post this everytime Perry gets mentioned in a thread.)

NJames
08-25-2011, 04:23 PM

Excellent.

PeteinLA
08-25-2011, 04:27 PM
I've convinced a few people with management speak.

(Flat management structure) returning power back to the state and local governments. Most people working today understand that quickly. It instantly frames the argument in your favor because you are for efficiency and pushing decision making power down to the people instead of consolidating power in a 1950's pyramid management structure for the delivery of government services.

I know this defeats some Libertarian values but people need to walk before they can run.

Buchananite
08-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Rick Santorum will inevitably attack Ron Paul on foreign policy.

In fact, he attacked him today.

“I’m very concerned that we have this new brand of Republicanism that’s been foreign to conservatism for the past 50 years,” Santorum told POLITICO. “We haven’t seen this isolationism rear its head on the Republican side, and we’ve traditionally been much more realistic about the threats that confront us. We don’t do what the left does and try to fit everything into some ideological understanding of the world.”

So when Rick Santorum goes calling Ron an isolationist, Ron needs to put him in his place and tell the people that Santorums foreign policy is the one crafted by the progressives, and Ron's is actually that of a true conservative(Calvin Coolidge citation would be good). He needs to slam Santorum when he advocates for being the policeman of the world, because he is really picking and choosing what issues he should be conservative on.

And when Santorum attacks him on marriage, Ron should ask him if it would be acceptable if a liberal President wants to impose gay marriage on the entire country.

NJames
08-25-2011, 04:31 PM
I would also like to see Ron brag, yes brag, on how he would be the only president that would truly put America first in these troubled times. It's time we see Dr. Paul address these neocon sissies with some swagger. :D

I think the swagger would be ill timed. Use that POSSIBLY when Paul is in 2nd place and closing fast. Also, the suggestion to attack Perry is a poor one. Mudslinging in a debate is poor form and looks like it in 9 out of 10 instances.

roversaurus
08-25-2011, 04:39 PM

Thumbs up for this again. And it needs to be said like this too.
I'd also like him to bring up his military service in comparison with the others. And I'd like him to point out the donations from the active duty military.

NJames
08-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Any use of the word "isolationist" should be met with obvious incredulity.

"Isolationist? Because I don't want to start a war? Because I don't want to send out troops around the world shooting at people? There are a lot of countries we're not shooting at, England, Israel, France- are we isolated from them? No, isolation is the way we've treated Cuba for the last 50 years. Isolation is a foolish idea that I've never supported."

What about using "peace through strength" and then emphasizing PEACE not preemptive war!

Bruno
08-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Any use of the word "isolationist" should be met with obvious incredulity.

"Isolationist? Because I don't want to start a war? Because I don't want to send out troops around the world shooting at people? There are a lot of countries we're not shooting at, England, Israel, France- are we isolated from them? No, isolation is the way we've treated Cuba for the last 50 years. Isolation is a foolish idea that I've never supported."

What about using "peace through strength" and then emphasizing PEACE not preemptive war!

Good stuff.

Im fact, instead of waiting for the word, he should state, "people are always incorrectly trying to label me an isolationist. Nothing could be further from the truth." And then explain.

PaulConventionWV
08-25-2011, 04:59 PM

Pfft... Keep dreaming. Methinks you think too highly of your own suggestions. 5% in the polls overnight... please.

PaulConventionWV
08-25-2011, 05:07 PM
This whole thread is a giant pissing contest.

My $0.02

Bruno
08-25-2011, 05:10 PM
This whole thread is a giant pissing contest.

My $0.02

27 inches

mello
08-25-2011, 05:17 PM
A reply for being called an isolationist:

"I am not an isolationist. That is a lie that the pundits repeat to the American people in order to marginalize me. I am and have always been a non-interventionist which means I'd talk & trade with foreign countries but would not meddle in their affairs."

Bruno
08-25-2011, 05:42 PM
This thread doubles as what to say to friends and family when discussing Ron Paul.

CaptainAmerica
08-25-2011, 05:45 PM
I would like Ron Paul to address the super congress and gun control and point out that he did not vote for the bill because it included a super congress.

This would be a key issue to separate himself from the other candidates.

JamesButabi
08-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Pfft... Keep dreaming. Methinks you think too highly of your own suggestions. 5% in the polls overnight... please.

Possibly, but I bet if he phrased it like I did and with conviction it wouldn't be far off. His message isn't whats wrong, its the method hes putting it out there. Judging by how many people quoted me, many here agree.

bluesc
08-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Another one. If that question about getting bills passed through congress comes up, Ron needs an answer ready. He froze up during the debate, and he froze up twice during an interview I'm watching. I wouldn't be surprised if they use that question again, considering it's the only thing that catches him.

It is a really good question, and the only option I can see is he would appeal to the people and urge them to contact their representatives and senators - but not through twitter.

NJames
08-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Possibly, but I bet if he phrased it like I did and with conviction it wouldn't be far off. His message isn't whats wrong, its the method hes putting it out there. Judging by how many people quoted me, many here agree.

Oh, absolutely. A good 3 - 5% jump is what I would expect from a strong showing in the next debate.

FreedomProsperityPeace
08-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Dr. Paul has to go after Perry and Romney. The "polite" phase of this race is over and now it's time to start making strides to take the lead. The only way to do that is to call these RINOs out on their records and for Dr. Paul to sell his own record.

Feelgood
08-25-2011, 07:33 PM
I would like him to point out on stage, repeatedly, that he is the only candidate standing on the stage that has served in the military, has military experience, and understands how ugly war really is. A good lead in to bringing all of our troops home.

RonPaulFever
08-25-2011, 07:35 PM
I would like him to point out on stage, repeatedly, that he is the only candidate standing on the stage that has served in the military, has military experience, and understands how ugly war really is. A good lead in to bringing all of our troops home.

Perry was in the military.

HarryBrowneLives
08-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Foreign Policy:

(He's spoke about this before but never in a debate)

"It took us less than 4 years to defeat the Nazi's and the Japanese Empire ... with millions of troops aligned against us, but it's took us more than 10 to hunt down Bin Laden and roughly 100 of his closest friends."

On North Korea:

"They say I'm old, but we've had 50,000 troops a several bases on the DMZ in Korea since I was in high school, yet South Korea has 54 TIMES the GDP of North Korea? You think maybe they could build a few less washing machines and protect themselves?"

Feeding the Abscess
08-25-2011, 09:26 PM
My suggestion for Ron Paul:

Wind him up and watch him go.

JohnGalt23g
08-25-2011, 09:36 PM
If the subject of Iran comes up, Dr. Paul should address Michele Bachmann, and say: "Rep. Bachmann, if you are serious about stopping Iran from gettting a nuclear weapon, why don't you, under your authority as a US Representative, introduce a Declaration of War Resolution, stating that as a result of her pursuit of nuclear weapons, a state of war now exists between the US and Iran, so that we might debate such an action?"

That's a debate I'd love to have. I'd love for the steroid-addled right to have to argue to the American people that they deserve the people's trust this time, that there really are WMD's in Iran. I'd love to see them go to out NATO allies, and, with a straight face, tell them we expect them to meet their wartime obligations. I'd love to see them go China on bended knee, and ask for another trillion dollars.

And then I'd love to see the Chinese, Europeans, and American people all, to a man, say "Go to hell".