PDA

View Full Version : A plan for Hurricane Irene and individual responsibility sans federal government.

phill4paul
08-25-2011, 11:28 AM
I have an idea I would like to pass on and see if it could take off in such a short time schedule. Though I have not been on these boards for a long time I know that they can be brutally honest with regards to individual beliefs and would like feedback.

The basics: Hurricane Irene is set to make landfall with devastating consequence. Given the fact that the federal government will screw up in response to disaster relief then I think this would be a good time to to put forth the message that America is built on the principal of neighbor helping neighbor without the government as middle man.
Could we set up something in short notice to help those hit while also getting our political message across?
The plan is this.

To provide tarp coverings to those that have lost shingles free of charge that are painted with "Vote Ron Paul" on them. If the individual is hostile to the notion after explanation then we will reverse them so as not to display the message.
To provide bottled water to those affected while wearing Ron Paul t-shirts.

I have a pick-up truck and carpentry tools enough to do this. However, I do not have the skills to raise the funds and network. This project could take several hundred to low one thousand to accomplish.

I live in N.C. so this is were it will make first landfall. For myself I ask nothing. I got time on my hands. I can sleep in a tent. Only food. And other volunteers are welcomed. My truck can transport 5 fairly comfortably.

However, it would take the cost of fuel, tarps, paint, water, food for volunteers, etc.

Does anyone here think that this is a worthwhile endeavor?

For it to happen there are many things that would need others to help out with. Things I am not capable at this time of doing.

The ability to network and raise funds and most importantly to keep an accounting so it is all 'above board' and free of controversy.

Ideas? Volunteers?

jacque
08-26-2011, 04:38 PM
I can not help out in the field but I can help with gas. Just let me know how this is progressing.

Working Poor
08-26-2011, 06:29 PM
very cool idea. i wonder if the media will pick that up?

wstrucke
08-26-2011, 06:45 PM
sounds like a great idea but i fear it's too late to implement.

GunnyFreedom
08-26-2011, 07:07 PM
I love this. It's too late for me to get any RP2012 tshirts, but I have some left from 2008. It'll be hard for me to do anything active, I still have a broken leg. I'll still help in any way I can. if nothing else, we are supposed to get a series of these storms blowing through this year. "Ron Paul - This is how it's done. Showing FEMA as incompetent since 1980"

Anti Federalist
08-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Bump and glad to see you around Phil, give me a call sometime, let me know how you're doing.

phill4paul
08-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the responses. As wstrucke mentioned I believe I am a bit behind the curve-ball on this one. However, as Gunny mentioned there may be more storms on the way. So my plan now is simply to work locally with some friends to build a supply of tarps and other items in the event we get another one. We will hope and pray that we will not have a need for them but will be prepared for the next go around if we do. Thanks all. And will do Anti-Fed.

pcosmar
08-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the responses. As wstrucke mentioned I believe I am a bit behind the curve-ball on this one. However, as Gunny mentioned there may be more storms on the way. So my plan now is simply to work locally with some friends to build a supply of tarps and other items in the event we get another one. We will hope and pray that we will not have a need for them but will be prepared for the next go around if we do. Thanks all. And will do Anti-Fed.

Nice to see again. :)

having been through several, it has been my experience that this is the norm. people naturally help others.
Except that FEMA and other agencies tend to get in the way and actively prevent volunteers from assisting.

Aid shipments and workers have been turned away at times. Even threatened with arrest for "interfering" with government.
Help those around you as you can. Likely the best you can do.

phill4paul
08-29-2011, 07:45 AM
Hello, Peter. Hope things are going well.

And I agree. I have heard many stories about the government not allowing any kind of aid from individuals or non-government groups into stricken areas. I believe the plan would be to go as far as allowed. All I would really be looking to do would be to cover shingle damage with tarps. Generally this damage can occur quite a ways from where the real storm damage is and in most instances those in these damaged areas would need more than just a tarp. It really is a shame that the government chooses to cement their image as the 'rescuer' by denying aid from individuals or non-governmental samaritans.