PDA

View Full Version : Man Faces 2 Years In Prison For Shooting Grizzly Who Threatened His Children

AuH20
08-25-2011, 08:19 AM
You got to be kidding?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/man-faces-2-years-in-prison-for-shooting-grizzly-while-defending-family/

smartguy911
08-25-2011, 08:22 AM
all i can say is WTF

YumYum
08-25-2011, 08:36 AM
I lived in Montana and Wyoming and have explored the wilderness. The Federal government uses the grizzles to keep government lands clean. When you camp in grizzly country you don't leave a speck of trash, unless you want to be attacked. I met a guy who had been attacked by a grizzly and he had to have over 300 stitches. He shot the mother grizz with his .300 Weatherby mag and blew off her right shoulder. It didn't stop her. You can shoot a grizzly in the heart and it will keep coming for at least 30 seconds before dropping dead; just enough time to take your head off. These animals are killing machines.

aGameOfThrones
08-25-2011, 08:47 AM
He said his son shot one of the bears, then called authorities to notify them of the kill. The other two bears ran off.

He said his son could have just buried the animal and not said anything to law enforcement. He said his son is being penalized for coming forward.

Should have gone with option 1.

AuH20
08-25-2011, 08:49 AM
I lived in Montana and Wyoming and have explored the wilderness. The Federal government uses the grizzles to keep government lands clean. When you camp in grizzly country you don't leave a speck of trash, unless you want to be attacked. I met a guy who had been attacked by a grizzly and he had to have over 300 stitches. He shot the mother grizz with his .300 Weatherby mag and blew off her right shoulder. It didn't stop her. You can shoot a grizzly in the heart and it will keep coming for at least 30 seconds before dropping dead; just enough time to take your head off. These animals are killing machines.

Grizzlies really are from another time. Can bring down elk and moose in excess of 1000 pounds. Can decapitate a man with one swipe from it's hind legs. They really are menacing to even think about. I'd rather deal with a great white than a grizzly given what I know about them, in that a great white may swim away after the first trauma bite.

AuH20
08-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Imagine seeing this in your yard?

http://0.tqn.com/d/urbanlegends/1/0/e/w/Tedbear1.jpg

http://0.tqn.com/d/urbanlegends/1/0/f/w/TedPaw.jpg

Dr.3D
08-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Seems they didn't bury the bear fast enough.

Noob
08-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Liberals are probably fuming mad at him for having 6 kids also.

oyarde
08-25-2011, 09:45 AM
I lived in Montana and Wyoming and have explored the wilderness. The Federal government uses the grizzles to keep government lands clean. When you camp in grizzly country you don't leave a speck of trash, unless you want to be attacked. I met a guy who had been attacked by a grizzly and he had to have over 300 stitches. He shot the mother grizz with his .300 Weatherby mag and blew off her right shoulder. It didn't stop her. You can shoot a grizzly in the heart and it will keep coming for at least 30 seconds before dropping dead; just enough time to take your head off. These animals are killing machines. They are , most definately , top of the food chain . After the males kill a black bear or human they will tear the penis off as well .

YumYum
08-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Grizzlies really are from another time. Can bring down elk and moose in excess of 1000 pounds. Can decapitate a man with one swipe from it's hind legs. They really are menacing to even think about. I'd rather deal with a great white than a grizzly given what I know about them, in that a great white may swim away after the first trauma bite.

People seem to fear the Great White more than grizzlies, and yet Great Whites don't like the taste of human flesh.

In Wyoming, a woman who was a forest ranger in the Wind River Range was eaten by a grizzly because she was on her period. Women should never go into grizzly country while on their period. People don't realize how many people are eaten every year by grizzlies because the government suppresses the information. I carry a shotgun with double ought buck when I am in grizzly country. I see people hiking with 44 mags who don't realize that those pistols will do nothing but anger the grizzly even more.

They should gather up all the grizzlies and drop them off in Afghanistan to fight the Taliban.:D

aGameOfThrones
08-25-2011, 10:07 AM
They should gather up all the grizzlies and drop them off in Afghanistan to fight the Taliban.:D

There will be too many Conscientious objectors :toady:

oyarde
08-25-2011, 10:08 AM
People seem to fear the Great White more than grizzlies, and yet Great Whites don't like the taste of human flesh.

In Wyoming, a woman who was a forest ranger in the Wind River Range was eaten by a grizzly because she was on her period. Women should never go into grizzly country while on their period. People don't realize how many people are eaten every year by grizzlies because the government suppresses the information. I carry a shotgun with double ought buck when I am in grizzly country. I see people hiking with 44 mags who don't realize that those pistols will do nothing but anger the grizzly even more.

They should gather up all the grizzlies and drop them off in Afghanistan to fight the Taliban.:D I too find it amazing that people hike in Griz country without a proper weapon . Basically you need a 12 ga or a big bore rifle .

asurfaholic
08-25-2011, 10:13 AM
I find it amazing that people hike in griz country period. Id rather skydive without a parachute.

YumYum
08-25-2011, 10:15 AM
I too find it amazing that people hike in Griz country without a proper weapon . Basically you need a 12 ga or a big bore rifle .

True, and pepper spray is a joke. If I could, I would like to carry an AK-47 or a Stinger missile.

fisharmor
08-25-2011, 12:03 PM
“Clearly, we have a problem with the ESA [Endangered Species Act] when situations like this happen.” Rep. Raul Labrador (R-Idaho) added. “We’re doing everything we can to make sure this man is treated fairly.”

First, we know exactly how this is going to go down.
Judge: this is the law and he broke the law. You 12 people get in that room and don't come out without a guilty verdict.
Jury: Ok, he's guilty. But we think you should go easy on him.
Judge: Guilty it is. 2 years prison and $50,000 fine.

Second, No, Mr. asshat Republican, you're not doing everything you can.
Encourage the Idaho legislature to pass a law that says that the EPA doesn't apply to self-defense,
add a retroactive clause,
make a public statement of your support for it,
and send the state police to spring this guy and cancel the damned trial.
Nullify. Otherwise, no, you're not really doing squat... considering who you are, and all.

youngbuck
08-25-2011, 03:51 PM
I carry a shotgun with double ought buck when I am in grizzly country. I see people hiking with 44 mags who don't realize that those pistols will do nothing but anger the grizzly even more.

Double ought buck isn't much better than a .44 mag because of lack of penetration. If using a shotgun, slugs would be better.

dannno
08-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Ever seen a hairless bear? They look like giant fucking rats... I would not want to be attacked by a giant rat, that's for sure.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/11/04/article-1225042-0711FC80000005DC-332_634x420.jpg

YumYum
08-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Double ought buck isn't much better than a .44 mag because of lack of penetration. If using a shotgun, slugs would be better.

I load it buck/slug/buck/slug. My uncle has a flame thrower we want to try out.

CaptainAmerica
08-25-2011, 03:59 PM
You got to be kidding?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/man-faces-2-years-in-prison-for-shooting-grizzly-while-defending-family/

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l595/kappellmeister2003/52890b01.jpg
"give him a pardon right now "

eduardo89
08-25-2011, 03:59 PM
http://images.wikia.com/wikiality/images/9/9d/Threat1Bears.jpg

r3volution
08-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Ever seen a hairless bear? They look like giant fucking rats... I would not want to be attacked by a giant rat, that's for sure.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/11/04/article-1225042-0711FC80000005DC-332_634x420.jpg

eek , reminds me of the game fallout .

LibForestPaul
08-25-2011, 05:21 PM

ok.... Just how much bigger is a grizzly than a black bear. Photos first time I understood just how massive a grizzly is. thanks

josh b
08-25-2011, 05:34 PM

Ewwwwwwwwwwww. It's creepy looking.

Invi
08-25-2011, 05:35 PM
ok.... Just how much bigger is a grizzly than a black bear. Photos first time I understood just how massive a grizzly is. thanks

This, exactly. That is freaking terrifying.
Its head alone has to weigh more than I do, or really close. ._.

Carson
08-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Doesn't ANYONE get a jury trial anymore?

Carson
08-25-2011, 05:53 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/stokeybob/newbegining/websize/overview_04.jpg

youngbuck
08-25-2011, 05:58 PM
I load it buck/slug/buck/slug. My uncle has a flame thrower we want to try out.

That ain't bad. Hopefully blind and destroy the other senses with the buckshot, and get to the CNS and lungs/heart with the slugs.

osan
08-25-2011, 06:34 PM
You got to be kidding?

I feel badly for the guy on the one hand, and would like to slap him to the moon on the other.

If there are no witnesses, I would pack my shit and get the bloody hell out of there IMMEDIATELY. Reported the kill to the "authorties"? What? Is he completely stupid (rhetorical question, folks)?

Anything involving the discharge of a firearm in a place that is not a range is ALWAYS cause for great concern for one's personal legal safety no matter how morally righteous it might be. If you do not know what the potential consequences are, you should learn them BEFOREHAND. If you do not, you are putting your balls into the hands of fickle fate. But also be aware that no matter how well you research the available data, there will almost always be something lurking in the shadows that you missed, or an "official" may just decide to interpret law in a way that suits personal views that may not be sympathetic to you regardless of circumstance. No matter how well you study and no matter how "by the book" you may act, you still run the risk of ending up to your eyes in the kimchee if you voluntarily expose yourself to government.

If you are called upon to use your weapon and can leave undetected, by all means do so. Don't sit around waiting for the cops to arrive. If you feel you can remain silent, then by ALL means do so. If you volunteer yourself to police or other "authorities", you risk a long stint as pass-around girl somewhere up state. You can seek legal council without the trauma of police treatments.

If you cannot slip away and cops arrive, for HEAVEN'S SAKE hold you damned tongue until you have legal representation. If you so much as say "hi" to the cops and they can find a way to use that as evidence against you, most often they will because that is what their jobs have become. Don't forget that cops can lie through their teeth and fabricate all manner of false evidence in order to frighten you into talking to them without a lawyer present. They do this on a daily basis and the courts have ruled repeatedly that this is A-OK. Any word issuing from your pie hole places you into clear and immediate danger. SHUT THE HELL UP and stay that way no matter how sorely tempted you are to "tell the truth" or how the cops threaten you or the promises they make. Read that last phrase at least 1000 times before leaving this post and repeat it to yourself at least 100 times a day. The mantra by which EVERY American should guide their days is: STFU. Sing it to yourself. Write it down. Make a video. Tattoo it to the insides of your eyelids and on your girlfriend's ass. Embroider it on your shirts and baseball hats. To hell with John Deer and Dale Earnhardt - STFU is what you need. Tell it to your friends. Have your friends tell it to you. Repeat it until it becomes first nature and never EVER deviate from its dictate.

How many such stories as this have we treated each other to in these forums? Do we need more to drive home the point that where police involvement is concerned, silence is better than golden. It is life itself. Learn to put your ego, your fear, and for God's sake you stupidity on a shelf and learn the virtue of the opening clause of Miranda: "you have the right to remain SILENT" STFU and stay that way.

Share this with friends. Educate them. Show them the articles and let them see the risk to which they expose themselves any time they open their ignorant, ego-inflated, gullible, self-centered and self-absorbed yaps to a cop or ANY official or agent of "government". Teach them the value of right sizing themselves such that any time a cop attempts to insert himself into their lives, they STFU, as if by reflex.

Things should not be this way, but they are. If you don't want to end up having the "state" take a giant shit on you, STFU.

Any questions?

osan
08-25-2011, 06:41 PM
I find it amazing that people hike in griz country period. Id rather skydive without a parachute.

At least you are likely to die prettier by the bounce method.

I like bears - so long as I'm not on the menu.

Revolution9
08-25-2011, 07:21 PM
snipped for brevity

Any questions?

http://www.statefansnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Sgt1.jpg

Nope.

Rev9

dawnbt
08-25-2011, 07:38 PM

They must use volumizing conditioner cause that thing looks malnourished without fur.

Eryxis
08-25-2011, 08:12 PM

This makes me think of Brick from Anchorage for some reason.

123tim
08-26-2011, 07:47 AM
The person who wrote the second comment (at the bottom of the article) seems to be the only one who has his act together:

Ummm, Why not get your family in the house and call the authorities FIRST before shooting the bear ? Not that I agree with the mental EPA but, either the father isn’t explaining correctly or there is more to the story.. AHH , who cares ? I live in Florida, we have to shoot alligators here.. :~)

:rolleyes:

oyarde
08-26-2011, 09:57 AM
I would have skinned it , boned it , ground it up into burger and froze it,and called nobody . I would have tacked that skin up to flesh somewhere in the vicinity that the other bears were thought to be .

oyarde
08-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Double ought buck isn't much better than a .44 mag because of lack of penetration. If using a shotgun, slugs would be better. I loaded a flechette in the chamber and four rifled slugs in the magazine . If I lived there permanently , I would make myself a magazine extension to hold a couple more and mix in a couple of buck .

nobody's_hero
08-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Doesn't ANYONE get a jury trial anymore?

The government is quickly learning that jury trials mean that it can't abuse people quite so easily. So this guy probably won't get one.

Czolgosz
08-26-2011, 10:26 AM
The local authorities are not your friend.

Anti Federalist
08-31-2011, 08:55 PM
The Persecution of Jeremy Hill

http://freedominourtime.blogspot.com/2011/08/persecution-of-jeremy-hill.html

Jeremy Hill of Bonners Ferry, Idaho, shot and killed a grizzly bear that threatened his children. The federal government is seeking to imprison him for violating the Endangered Species Act. Idaho Governor Butch Otter wrote a nauseatingly sycophantic letter to someone he insisted on addressing as “The Honorable” Ken Salazar, the federal Secretary of Interior, pleading that the Regime be measured and magnanimous in carrying out its persecution of that innocent man.

“I recognize the federal jurisdiction under the Endangered Species Act, but I strongly support the right of individuals to defend themselves and others in such situations,” sniveled Otter. “One of the flaws of the ESA is the premium it places on protecting species at the expense of everything else. Although an individual can protect human safety under the law – as Jeremy felt he was doing – it’s a shame that the Endangered Species Act still does not enable citizens to protect their private property and pets in the same manner.”

That aspect of the ESA is not a “shame,” but rather the predictable and intended result of the measure, which codifies a worldview called “biocentrism” in which human beings are simply one species among many, and individual property rights do not exist. What is shameful, however, is Otter’s continued insistence on posturing as a representative of the people of Idaho, rather than a kennel-fed lapdog who knows the exact length of the leash connecting him to his masters in Washington. Were the Governor a worthier canine specimen, he would recognize this as a time to bare his teeth.

After killing the bear that had invaded his property and endangered his family, Hill contacted the local office of the Idaho Department of Fish and Game. Two officers were dispatched to examine the bear’s remains, and they certified what should be obvious to people whose minds aren’t cankered with eco-collectivist cant: Hill’s actions were entirely justified and more than a little courageous.

Jack Douglas, the Boundary County Prosecutor, conducted his own inquiry into the shooting and concluded that Hill was “forced to take lethal action” in order to protect his wife and four of the couple’s six children. Only one of the bears was killed, Douglas noted, and Hill “didn’t fire at the retreating bears because they no longer posed a threat.”

This ends the matter. If Butch Otter, who loves to swan around in cowboy attire, had sufficient sand to fill an hourglass, he would inform Salazar that no federal official in the State of Idaho will be permitted to have any contact with Jeremy Hill or any member of his family. He would also inform Commissar Salazar that any federal official who molests or harasses them in any way will be taken into custody and evicted from the state. Otter would then issue instructions to that effect to the Idaho State Police and, if necessary, the Idaho National Guard.

After all, isn’t Otter the same intrepid, independent-minded badass who loves to speak about “nullification” and “interposition” – the same bare-knuckled slab of Rocky Mountain individualism who proudly “nullified” the Obamacare monstrosity in the Gem State?

Well, no – not exactly.

This is the same Village People-grade ersatz buckaroo whose attorney general collaborated with the Obama regime to punish a group of orthopedic surgeons who organized to protest federally imposed price controls on medical treatment. He’s the same Janus-faced specimen who postures as the indomitable foe of federal meddling in health care – and then proudly announces that he has secured millions of pilfered dollars and is willing to permit Obamacare to operate within Idaho on a “case-by-case basis.”

Given that substantive record, it’s not surprising that Otter, in dealing with the Jeremy Hill case, reacted by tugging on his forelock, rather than thrusting out his chin.

“I would sincerely appreciate your looking into this case and assisting any way you can,” Otter simpered in his letter to Salazar. With the unfailing instinct of a natural collaborator, Otter pointed out that Federal prestige might suffer if the persecution of the Hill family continues. The Feds need “to consider the impacts to grizzly recovery efforts because of Jeremy’s case,” Otter wrote. “There is great public outcry about this issue, and prosecution may further damage community support for recovery efforts.”

Here Otter sought refuge in a familiar collectivist dialectic, treating Hill’s legitimate rights and the illegitimate demands of the federal eco-bureaucracy as if they have comparable moral weight – and implicitly seeking a “compromise” that will minimize the damage done to the victim while protecting the usurped power of the aggressor. This is unsatisfactory: Any attempt to punish Hill – even to the extent of stealing the time necessary for a preliminary hearing – would be a crime.

If Jeremy Hill had been wearing a government-issued costume, and his “victim” had been an unarmed human being, rather than a federally protected grizzly bear, he would be enjoying a paid vacation rather than facingfinancial ruin and the prospect of a year in prison. The talismanic phrase “officer safety” would be ritually invoked, officials would perform the appropriate roles in a pantomime of an inquiry, and the entirely predictable ruling of “justified” would be delivered.

In the event that the details of this episode were too well-documented to deny, and sufficiently outrageous to shock the public conscience, a settlement would be paid with money extracted from tax victims, and the offender would be discharged without criminal charges or personal civil liability. That’s how this matter would play out, once again, if Jeremy Hill had been a law enforcement officer who committed an act of criminal homicide, rather than a father who killed a wild predator that threatened his children.

Boundary County, some will recall, is where a wolfpack of hired killers call the FBI’s Hostage Rescue Team laid siege to the home of political non-conformist Randy Weaver, murdering Weaver’s teenage son Samuel and his wife, Vicky. Lon Horiuchi, the FBI sniper who admitted to the killing of Vicky Weaver, was spared federal prosecution under an exotic doctrine described by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals as “Supremacy Clause Immunity” – which in practice operates exactly like the discredited “Nuremberg Defense.”

Under this doctrine, according to the Court, the only significant questions were these: Was Horiuchi acting under orders from his superiors, and was the kill-shot justified by "his subjective belief that his actions were necessary and proper"? Once those questions were answered in the affirmative, Horiuchi was immunized from either civil or criminal prosecution.

A few months after handing down that ruling – which devised what dissenting Judge Alex Kozinski memorably denounced as a “007 Standard” for lethal force by federal agents -- the Ninth Court partially reversed that decision by acknowledging that the State of Idaho could prosecute Horiuchi for criminal homicide under state laws. Denise Woodbury, an assistant prosecutor from Boundary County, was prepared to prosecute the FBI sniper, but then- incoming county attorney Brett Benson – reacting to pressure from the state government – demurred.

There is no doubt that Jeremy Hill acted in a “necessary and proper fashion.” No human being was harmed as a result of his actions. Yet Lon Horiuchi remains at large, and no doubt collects a federal pension – and Hill may well lose his home and his freedom (whatever that word means for a subject of the detestable Regime that presumes to rule us).

The persecution of Jeremy Hill offers that rarest of things – an opportunity for a government to act in defense of an individual’s rights by interposing itself between the victim and the assailant.

Jeremy Hill is not going to prison. If Otter and the silly little government he heads aren’t willing to interpose on that man’s behalf, there are plenty of us living in Idaho who will.

klamath
08-31-2011, 09:15 PM

little trick photography going on here. My son is one of the top hunting guides in western montana and these photos are classic make it look bigger shots. Grizzlies are big but this one isn't as big as it looks.

AFPVet
08-31-2011, 09:24 PM

Breneke slugs are what you would want.

AuH20
09-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Listen to this tale. First of all, is this kid blind to mix up a grizzly with a black bear?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/17/steve-stevenson-hunter-grizzly-bear_n_967504.html

A 39-year-old hunter killed by a wounded grizzly bear yelled out to draw the 400-pound male bear toward him in an effort to keep it from attacking his young hunting partner, the man's family said.

"They both shot it and it kept coming," Steve Stevenson's mom, Janet Price, said on Saturday. "Steve yelled at it to try and distract it, and it swung around and took him down. It's what my son would have done automatically, for anybody."

The Lincoln County Sheriff's Office in Montana said Stevenson, of Winnemucca, Nev., died Friday after 20-year-old Ty Bell wounded what he thought was a black bear and the two men tracked it into thick cover along the Idaho-Montana border where it attacked at about 10 a.m. Friday.

The two were members of a four-member hunting party from Winnemucca that had been going after black bears in the mountainous, heavily forested region near the Canadian border when the attack occurred. It's unclear if the attack happened in Idaho or Montana. The sheriff's office said GPS coordinates put the attack directly on the state line.

amy31416
09-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Listen to this tale. First of all, is this kid blind to mix up a grizzly with a black bear?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/17/steve-stevenson-hunter-grizzly-bear_n_967504.html

I read up on this stuff because I have a relatively deep-seated fear of bears--and the article mentioned that black bear hunters take a course on how to distinguish between the various types of bears, so I assume that it's reasonably easy to confuse them, especially when shit gets scary.

I could be wrong in placing any trust in that notion, but there have to have been people who've made the mistake, thus triggering such a course for bear hunters.

Danke
09-17-2011, 09:05 PM
I read up on this stuff because I have a relatively deep-seated fear of bears

Unfounded. I'd wager the bears are the ones more afraid in your case.

Carehn
09-17-2011, 09:13 PM

True but grizzly's lean more to the fight part of the fight or flight reaction. And by more id say 90% of the time.

I live in Idaho and this guy gets what he gets for calling the fish cops. I don't wish it upon him but what a dumb ass.

amy31416
09-17-2011, 09:26 PM

Don't make me angry, now.

oyarde
09-19-2011, 10:18 AM
little trick photography going on here. My son is one of the top hunting guides in western montana and these photos are classic make it look bigger shots. Grizzlies are big but this one isn't as big as it looks. If I recall , this kid was a Fish & Wildlife worker in Alaska , hunting deer on his day off with a 7mm semi auto rifle. I think it is this big .

jmdrake
09-19-2011, 10:36 AM

Well it's safer than hiking on the Iran / Iraq border (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/09/19/iran.hikers/).

jmdrake
09-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Two words on how to handle this. "Jury Nullification". Someone should take out ads on all of the local radio stations where this case will be tried explaining the concept. Inform the entire jury pool.