PDA

View Full Version : Facing Protesters and Empty Seats, Glenn Beck Tells Jerusalem: 'Evil Is Growing. Darkness

Agorism
08-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Facing Protesters and Empty Seats, Glenn Beck Tells Jerusalem: 'Evil Is Growing. Darkness Is Falling'

Former Fox News presenter greeted with protests and empty seats as he takes his message to the Temple Mount

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2011/8/24/1314216556480/Glenn-Beck-rally-in-Jerus-007.jpg

http://www.antiwar.com/photos/beck-jerusalem082411.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/aug/24/glenn-beck-empty-jerusalem-rally

The temperature may have dropped a little in Jerusalem on Wednesday night, but it was more than compensated for by the heat produced by Glenn Beck as he brought his "Restoring Courage" rally to the Old City.

The former Fox News presenter and devout Mormon stood at a podium beneath the gunmetal grey of the dome of the al-Aqsa mosque to direct a tirade of invective at governments, human rights organisations, the United Nations, Europe and Arab states – and sometimes just "them", whoever they are.

Despite a strangely subdued start, the rightwing polemicist finally roused his audience to whoops and cheers after a strangely subdued initial response with his trademark preacher's inflection. But all the while, the distant noise of anti-Beck protests provided a backdrop to a 90-minute programme of declamation, music and presentations.

Dressed as though attending a funeral, Beck stood in sharp contrast to the casual attire of his overwhelmingly white American Christian audience, many of whose baseball caps and T-shirts denoted their state of origin, their church or their adherence to the US Tea Party movement.

But the surprising number of empty seats belied the organisers' claims that demand for tickets had outstripped availability at the 2,000-capacity Davidson Centre.

Beck, who was deemed too extreme even for Fox television after 400 advertisers pulled their commercials from his show earlier this year, had come to Jerusalem to "restore courage" to the Jewish state and salute Israelis as "people who stand against the entire tide of global opinion". "The world is burning," he said. "Whatever we've grown to think is solid and strong and durable is under siege. The threats are mounting. The evil is growing. Darkness is falling."

After many impassioned references to God's covenants to return the Jewish people to their land, Beck turned his attention to what he saw as a legion of enemies that Israel and its God-fearing supporters faced.

Referring to the UN, he said: "In New York, so-called leaders are talking about human rights. But what they do is abuse the very meaning of this phrase. They condemn tiny Israel, democratic Israel, free Israel – Israel which values human life above all others."

He said western governments focused on criticism of Israel instead of condemning countries such as Syria which was "slaughtering its people". "In some countries it is a crime not to condemn Israel. The diplomats are afraid. They are cowards and so they surrender to falsehood. The truth matters not."

Even some Israelis, he said, were beginning to doubt themselves. "My friends, do not lose hope. You must not lose confidence in yourselves. You must draw courage." Always remember, he added, that they were "led to this land by God. He promised that Israel would rise again. We have seen this promise fulfilled. Israel, we have witnessed the dawn of your redemption."

Israel's steadfastness was especially important given "what the world describes as the 'Arab Spring'. I said, are you mad? Behind many of the revolutions is a familiar force which I said would come to the borders of Israel and bring death. And so it has in the past seven days."

The reference was to last week's attack on the Israeli-Egyptian border in which eight Israelis were killed.

Human rights organisations, he said, had become "grotesque parodies of the principles they pretend to represent. They denounce nations like Israel and America and leave alone nations which have no freedoms at all. Whatever moral force they once had is spent."

The audience reserved its most fervent responses and standing ovations for its familiar enemies of big government and liberal institutions. It included representatives of Christian Zionism whose ardent support for Israel is derived from the belief that the Jewish people's return to the holy land is a prerequisite of the second coming of the Messiah.

But the accompanying belief that Jews must then convert to Christianity in order to be saved has prompted widespread opposition to Christian Zionism – and Beck's rally – within Israel. Some rabbis denounced the broadcaster and called on Jews to boycott the event.

From the left, opposition stemmed from Beck's rejection of a Palestinian state on the basis that it would cut off the holy sites of Jerusalem "from the rest of the world".

But protesters were kept well away from the rally, whose venue was itself controversial. The podium, a choir and orchestra, and rows of plastic chairs were sited at an archaeological site below the Temple Mount, revered by Jews, which is also known as Haram al-Sharif, the third holiest site for Muslims. The Muslim call to prayer rose above the al-Aqsa mosque as the audience awaited their hero.

For Bonnie Wimsatt, 59, from Washington DC, part of a group of Christians on a 10-day tour of which the rally was the climax, her reason for the 6,000-mile trip was simple. "We're here to support Israel‚ a peace-loving nation surround by people who want to harm them," she said. "They're always fighting a battle – they can't go outside their front door without someone shooting at them."

At the overflow venue a few miles away, where around 2,000 people gathered to watch the rally on a large outdoor screen, Michael Novatka, a born-again Christian and "self-proclaimed Jew" from Florida, said: "Glenn Beck tells the truth, but the rest of the world doesn't want to hear it. I've been watching him for years, and agree with what he says. Now that he's left Fox, he's stepping it up."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700173235/Glenn-Beck-fuels-tension-in-Israel.html

Also this article

Glenn Beck fuels tension in Israel (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700173235/Glenn-Beck-fuels-tension-in-Israel.html)

Glenn Beck stirred up controversy Wednesday with his pro-Jewish comments during the final event of his "Restoring Courage" tour of Israel.

"Conservative Christian commentator Glenn Beck capped a contentious visit to Israel Wednesday by hosting a rally next to a hotly disputed holy site in Jerusalem's Old City," the Associated Press reported. "But religious figures and left-wing politicians have come together in an unusual alliance appealing to Israelis to shun his embrace. Religious Jews are worried he is here to spread the Christian gospel, while dovish Israelis reject Beck's support for West Bank Jewish settlements and his criticism of peace efforts."

CaptainAmerica
08-24-2011, 11:07 PM
http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l595/kappellmeister2003/5dbfbc0e.jpg

I posted this in another thread about Beck but it sums up Beck's presence in Israel quite nicely.

Revolution0918
08-24-2011, 11:08 PM
FACEPALM......omfg.....smh

Rael
08-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Let Glenn Beck sign up for the Israeli Army if he cares so much. I am sick and tired of hearing about Israel.

COpatriot
08-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Let Glenn Beck sign up for the Israeli Army if he care so much. I am sick and tired of hearing about Israel.
Nah. I don't think Israel deserves the buffoon either. This is a desperation heave for a dying career.

YumYum
08-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Nah. I don't Israel deserves the buffoon either. This is a desperation heave for a dying career.

Yep. He pissed off the fishes at the top and he is trying to save himself from ending up like Rick Sanchez.

Agorism
08-24-2011, 11:28 PM
What happened to Rick Sanchez

Rael
08-24-2011, 11:29 PM
What exactly did GB say to become so "controversial" anyway?

YumYum
08-24-2011, 11:31 PM
What happened to Rick Sanchez

He said the wrong thing. He was fired from CNN.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/01/rick-sanchez-fired-from-c_n_747607.html

YumYum
08-24-2011, 11:35 PM
What exactly did GB say to become so "controversial" anyway?

This is one of them. He also attacked Zionism. Then afterwards, when he was rebuked for his comments, he realized he made a very big mistake. Now, just as COpatriot pointed out, he is trying to save his career.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/24/glenn-beck-apologizes-reform-judaism_n_827777.html

2young2vote
08-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Well, at least he is standing up for what he believes in. I really do like his radio show when he isn't talking about Israel. He and his co-hosts are pretty funny.

Lafayette
08-25-2011, 12:30 AM
But the accompanying belief that Jews must then convert to Christianity in order to be saved has prompted widespread opposition to Christian Zionism – and Beck's rally – within Israel. Some rabbis denounced the broadcaster and called on Jews to boycott the event.

HA!

Michael Novatka, a born-again Christian and "self-proclaimed Jew" from Florida,

Hey man, call yourself a Jew, all the cool Christians are doing it. Besides, you can convert back later.

purplechoe
08-25-2011, 12:34 AM
hxxp://pajamasmedia.com/barryrubin/2011/08/24/with-glenn-beck-by-the-temples-walls/

...We just googled two key words Glenn Beck on the search engine and up came these superlatives – quote -

• U.S. Jews warn Israel not to get too cozy with Glenn Beck - more - Rabbi Eric Yoffie, President of the Union for Reform Judaism, says Beck is very extreme and controversial even among right-wing groups in the United States. – Attributed to Haaretz.Com

• The strange crusade: Glenn Beck's Holy Land mission – more - The TV shock-jock's outspoken Zionist views have left many Israelis horrified – Attributed to the UK Independent.Co.Uk

• Oh, Glenn Beck! He’s like a poor man’s Sean Hannity. If Sean Hannity cried like a school girl and minced around a blackboard comparing Jewish Holocaust survivor George Soros to, you know, the Nazis. Almost everything Glenn Beck says is unintentional comedy gold. Hopefully, his arrival on Detroit’s airwaves means he’ll do a local event soon. If Glenn Beck didn’t exist, snarky bloggers would be forced to invent him. – Attributed to the MLive.Com

• Did Glenn Beck just jump the shark in Israel? – more - While Beck often proclaims his love for Israel and Israelis, a recent broadcast makes it clear that he views a vast swath of the Israeli public with contempt. Attributed to the The Christian Science Monitor CSMonitor.Com...

Brian4Liberty
08-25-2011, 12:44 AM
• Did Glenn Beck just jump the shark in Israel?

Uh, no. He jumped the shark with his "restoring honor" rally in DC last year. His background with Falwell and Hagee was just a hint at his future direction.

robert9712000
08-25-2011, 02:03 AM
I respect him for going against the pressures of society and not conforming to what is deemed socially respectable,but i think hes misguided like alot of people ive met in the church. The bible says to be of sound mind not drunk in the spirit.He hasnt learned moderation to where he can have passionate zeal but still walk in wisdom.

purplechoe
08-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Referring to the UN, he said: "In New York, so-called leaders are talking about human rights. But what they do is abuse the very meaning of this phrase. They condemn tiny Israel, democratic Israel, free Israel – Israel which values human life above all others."

This guy must be on crack. What about those pesky Palestinians?

http://visitbulgaria.info/files/palestinian.jpg

Nate-ForLiberty
08-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Glenn Beck is no friend of Ron Paul.

End of story.

End of thread.

End of Glenn Beck.

Austrian Econ Disciple
08-25-2011, 02:27 AM
This guy must be on crack. What about those pesky Palestinians?

http://visitbulgaria.info/files/palestinian.jpg

Let us not forget Israeli-State abortions, that Leviathan funds.

CaptainAmerica
08-25-2011, 02:46 AM
Glenn Beck is no friend of Ron Paul.

End of story.

End of thread.

End of Glenn Beck.http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l595/kappellmeister2003/163f393be2da.jpg
and I haven't forgotten Glenn Beck calling Ron Paul supporters terrorists. Glenn Beck has an interesting attire.

purplechoe
08-25-2011, 03:01 AM
and I haven't forgotten Glenn Beck calling Ron Paul supporters terrorists. Glenn Beck has an interesting attire.

he also torpedoed Debra Medina's campaign for governor of Texas in the last election, making sure that Perry got reelected...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8aKN_FaNsk