PDA

View Full Version : "Google Ron Paul" line in TV ad - Like or dislike?

AdamT
08-24-2011, 10:39 PM
If the line "Google Ron Paul" was scripted near the end of a TV ad as basically a call to action, would it be good or bad? Is this the most effective way for newbies to get hooked on RP....ie that first fateful Google search? Thoughts?

trey4sports
08-24-2011, 10:45 PM
I don't think it's a good idea. I think at this point we need to worry about being on-message as opposed to just getting people to google Ron Paul. I'd rather have control over their impression of Ron Paul.

Not my area of expertise though, so take it with a grain of salt.

LibertyEsq
08-24-2011, 10:47 PM
If we tell people to google Ron Paul, they are going to wonder why people are being told to google him instead of hearing about him through conventional campaign means. We need to be perceived as a winning campaign in every way possible, and this would look kinda desperate in my opinion

dusman
08-24-2011, 10:53 PM
I don't think it's a good idea. I think at this point we need to worry about being on-message as opposed to just getting people to google Ron Paul. I'd rather have control over their impression of Ron Paul.

Not my area of expertise though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Very good point about maintaining the impression.

orenbus
08-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Would say Google Ron Paul is a good idea, I would venture to guess that 80%+ of Americans don't pay attention to politics and most probably still don't know who he is. Pollsters probably go through a number of phone calls to find people that actually know what is going on in the political spectrum especially at this point in the election cycle.

People google things all the time and politicians, people in business, and even regular day to day people plug their websites all the time so I don't see doing the action of googling something as desperate. Especially if all you are saying is hey if you would like to know more do this. As far as information control, go ahead and google Ron Paul right now. Aside from the top news which is always changing the first page consists of:

Ronpaul.com

Ronpaul2012.com

The wiki article

dailypaul.com

campaignforliberty.com

Ron Paul's facebook page

Ronpaul.org

lewrockwell.com

Ron Paul images

Dailycaller.com article (ok finally a negative piece that most probably won't read)

So looking at that list I would say we pretty much have our basis covered, if they do a search on youtube the number of positive Ron Paul videos greatly outweighs the negative so I'm not so worried about giving a bad impression we pretty much have a lock on the information flow.

BrendanWenzel
08-24-2011, 11:02 PM
If the line "Google Ron Paul" was scripted near the end of a TV ad as basically a call to action, would it be good or bad? Is this the most effective way for newbies to get hooked on RP....ie that first fateful Google search? Thoughts?

Don't like this idea because the official website is not at the top of those ranking. I'd tell them to go to RonPaul2012.com or a specialized landing page.

Esoteric
08-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Tough call.. though I like the fact that this question was asked (hinting that something is in the works!).

"Google Ron Paul" sounds desperate, like he's someone that nobody knows about / obscure / fringe. On the other hand, to those who are politically apathetic, telling people to google him may be the only way to have them come on board. The problem still remains - once they google him, then what? Will they go to his wikipedia, read 2 lines, then go elsewhere? Will they go to his congressional site and fall asleep? With that said, i think it's best to treat him as though everyone knows his name, and laying down some profound things in the content of the commercial.

PS - Congrats Chris!

Esoteric
08-24-2011, 11:09 PM
double post

Justinfrom1776
08-24-2011, 11:15 PM
I think we should have people Google Santorum, they will laugh and appreciate Ron's sense of humor and immediately join the Ron Paul Army.

Just kidding, I think having people Google "Ron Paul" sounds a little 2008 to me.. This time we want to give the impression that we are a "Big Timer". Send people to the campaign website, just don't send them here! lol