PDA

View Full Version : A Foreseeable Hurdle

CaptUSA
08-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Ok, so Ron Paul is scheduled to be on Fox News Sunday. Irene is scheduled to hit the Carolinas on Saturday, potentially causing massive damage.

I'm sure the question will arise about FEMA and the federal government's responsibility to take care of people. Paul's position is sound, but it's hard to explain - especially when people are stirred up after a disaster.

South Carolina is an early state. Paul needs to have a clearly defined and easy-to-understand approach to these questions. If not, he may be writing off SC early. This also has the potential to affect New Hampshire and other New England states.

Please, please, have Dr. Paul prepared for this. If manage correctly, it could be huge - if mismanaged, it could sink us.

Uriah
08-24-2011, 07:14 PM
I hadn't thought of that. I know he can answer it well though.

CaptUSA
08-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Is nobody else anticipating this? You've got to know this question is coming, right?

bluesc
08-25-2011, 05:15 PM
He talked about FEMA the last time he was on. He wasn't so clear about it. Starts at 2:18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94VFW_KHqYU

He needs to have an answer ready that the media wont be able to spin into him being "heartless".

asurfaholic
08-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Is nobody else anticipating this? You've got to know this question is coming, right?

I thought about this as soon as it looked like Irene was going to hit. I thought... CRAP. Now the media can spin his position on federal disaster aid as "Ron Paul doesn't care about people who lost everything. Har har har.."

I think he needs to tread realllly carefully...

torchbearer
08-25-2011, 05:25 PM
another hurdle- the RNC.
we could go into the RNC with the plurality of delegates and still lose.

tangent4ronpaul
08-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Ok, so Ron Paul is scheduled to be on Fox News Sunday. Irene is scheduled to hit the Carolinas on Saturday, potentially causing massive damage.

What makes you think anyone in the Carolinas that's negatively effected by the storm will have electricity on Sunday?

For that matter, there is a good chance FOX News won't have electricity on Sunday.

Pepco: Expect power outages for days
http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/2011/08/pepco-expect-power-outages-days

Power Firms Prepare for Irene, Warn of Outages
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904787404576530841659014236.html?m od=googlenews_wsj

-t

WilliamC
08-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Of course we use the structures we have in place to respond to current and near term disasters, but that doesn't mean that the Federal Government is somehow better than the State and Local governments who should be taking the lead in the response. The fact that the Several States have allowed their various State militias to be Federalized and used to support the American Empire instead of being available to respond to local disasters doesn't help them to do this.

eleganz
08-25-2011, 05:40 PM
States matter, not federal. I thought this was pretty obvious already?

CaptainAmerica
08-25-2011, 05:43 PM

I'm sure the question will arise about FEMA and the federal government's responsibility to take care of people. Paul's position is sound, but it's hard to explain - especially when people are stirred up after a disaster.

South Carolina is an early state. Paul needs to have a clearly defined and easy-to-understand approach to these questions. If not, he may be writing off SC early. This also has the potential to affect New Hampshire and other New England states.

Please, please, have Dr. Paul prepared for this. If manage correctly, it could be huge - if mismanaged, it could sink us.

Ron Paul will answer it and I trust that he knows how to answer it.

CaptainAmerica
08-25-2011, 05:43 PM
My question is hospitals. How come hospitals never prepare for disasters ?

tangent4ronpaul
08-25-2011, 05:50 PM
My question is hospitals. How come hospitals never prepare for disasters ?

They do. I've read through the rather thick 3 ring notebooks of disaster plans on booring nights. They also have stockpiles of supplies and backup generators - but you can only have so many stockpiles and if it's bad it gets exhausted pretty fast.

FreedomHorn
08-25-2011, 07:23 PM
He's a pretty smart guy, I think he'll be alright.

danda
08-25-2011, 07:38 PM
if it turns into a major disaster, seems likely he would get bumped, no?

Teaser Rate
08-25-2011, 08:11 PM
How I would answer:

What should the role of the Federal Government be in assisting States during natural disasters?

I believe the Federal Government should do everything in its powers to assist state and local governments to prepare for and deal with the aftermath of natural disasters. Dealing with national emergencies such as hurricanes is one of the main reasons we have a Federal Government in the first place. I believe in a limited Federal Government, but not in times when Americans are stuck on rooftops or buried under rubble.

Revolution9
08-26-2011, 02:26 AM
How I would answer:

What should the role of the Federal Government be in assisting States during natural disasters?

I believe the Federal Government should do everything in its powers to assist state and local governments to prepare for and deal with the aftermath of natural disasters. Dealing with national emergencies such as hurricanes is one of the main reasons we have a Federal Government in the first place. I believe in a limited Federal Government, but not in times when Americans are stuck on rooftops or buried under rubble.

Good answer.

Rev9