PDA

View Full Version : New Gallup Poll: Ron Paul 3rd: 13%

IndianaPolitico
08-24-2011, 12:24 PM
http://www.gallup.com/poll/149180/Perry-Zooms-Front-Pack-2012-GOP-Nomination.aspx

Rick Perry: 29%
Mitt Romney 17%
Ron Paul 13%
Michele Bachmann: 10%
Hermain Cain: 4%
Newt Gingrich: 4%
Rick Santorum: 3%
Jon Huntsman: 1%

Ron Paul moved up 1 spot, and gained 3% since the last poll!
He is ahead of "frontrunner" Bachmann by 3%.

BrendanWenzel
08-24-2011, 12:28 PM
http://www.gallup.com/poll/149180/Perry-Zooms-Front-Pack-2012-GOP-Nomination.aspx

New poll from Gallup. Ron Paul in 3rd with 13%, gains 3% since last poll!

Again and again, polls show Dr. Paul as top tier as it comes.

Romulus
08-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Top Tier!

ProfNo
08-24-2011, 12:31 PM
WOW, this is HUGE.

More than this, if Palin is included she kills the support for Bachmann but does not affect Paul much. Very good.

mello
Top Tier!

Romulus, I noticed that your avatar pic is noticeably larger than other posters pics.
How are you doing that?

VictorB
I really wish that Newt and Cain would just go ahead and shut it down. They have no money, and they raise no money. Both polling at 4% each. Would be nice if we could steal half of their support once they are out.

Anyways, RP is slowly, but surely climbing the mountain. We are going to surprise a lot of people this year.

*EDIT: If I'm Bachman I'm really worried. You just won the Iowa Straw Poll and you fall behind the person who you just beat. Goes to show you that she really bought votes in Iowa, and that her support there is weak, IMO.

Romulus
08-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Romulus, I noticed that your avatar pic is noticeably larger than other posters pics.
How are you doing that?

Might be that I'm a supporting member? Not sure.

netwalker
Liberty Rising!

Romulus
I really wish that Newt and Cain would just go ahead and shut it down. They have no money, and they raise no money. Both polling at 4% each. Would be nice if we could steal half of their support once they are out.

Anyways, RP is slowly, but surely climbing the mountain. We are going to surprise a lot of people this year.

Wait until things heat up and the signs really come out... we'll get the bandwagon effect just from that.

wgadget
08-24-2011, 12:34 PM
AND...Let's not forget that according to the latest Rasmussen poll, Ron Paul beats Obama by 10% among indies, that the majority of Tea Party types find Ron Paul favorable, and that Ron Paul voters are LOYAL.

;)

wgadget
08-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Wait until things heat up and the signs really come out... we'll get the bandwagon effect just from that.

Not to mention the Monday T-shirts! ;)

LibertyEsq
08-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Awesome, you should update OP with the full numbers. We're only 4% behind Romney!

wgadget
08-24-2011, 12:35 PM
WOW, this is HUGE.

More than this, if Palin is included she kills the support for Bachmann but does not affect Paul much. Very good.

I'm thinking that Palin would even kill some of Scary Perry's support.

Pizzo
08-24-2011, 12:36 PM
If you look at the numbers, Dr. Paul is at his highest number yet. Every other candidate downticked except for him and Cain who stayed at 4%. So basically Perry and Paul took points from the other candidates. Perry because he's new, Paul because well, he's right and tells the truth. Good to see more people catching on.

mello
08-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Strange.

fearthereaperx
08-24-2011, 12:37 PM
ROn Paul beats everyone with 18-29 crowd by a large margin but only gets 4%(last) with 65+...damn seniors.

ItsTime
08-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Drudge it?

icon124
08-24-2011, 12:38 PM
look at the break down....40% of the people 65 plus vote for perry and 4% for Paul.

18-29 years of age...21% for Perry 29% for Paul.

Going off on a little RANT HERE....for anyone 65 plus...not to be mean...just telling it as it is...odds say you don't have that much longer to live...WHY ARE YOU DESTROYING THE WORLD FOR US YOUNG ADULTS....

They are the worst to talk to because they are so self centered and want everything given to them for the most part (of course there is some that don't)
Wake up and realize for the most part the 18-29 year old group has the most to worry about...we are the ones that have to pay off all of this debt and get us out of this mess you helped make...BUT YET YOU VOTE FOR PERRY....

GOD HELP THIS COUNTRY.

Romulus
08-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Drudge it?

Top story already.

trey4sports
08-24-2011, 12:39 PM
ROn Paul beats everyone with 18-29 crowd by a large margin but only gets 4%(last) with 65+...damn seniors.

The good thing is that when the campaign goes to targetting seniors they know where they can find'em and that is through direct mail.

libertybrewcity
08-24-2011, 12:39 PM
we're on our way

IndianaPolitico
08-24-2011, 12:40 PM
What is really interesting are the numbers from 2007, in an early September Gallup poll, Ron Paul registered 1%. Look at how far we have come!
http://www.gallup.com/poll/28684/Thompsons-Official-Bid-Changes-Little-Republican-Nomination-Race.aspx

speciallyblend
tweet it to the ppp pissy folks!!

LibertyEsq
We're now tied with Bachmann in the RCP average at 9.2 each

smartguy911
08-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Dr Paul's preference went from 8% to 11% :-) :-). Sarah Palin, Guiliani, Bachman and Mittens dropped

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/9j_cruw5jku3rsbo0jo6nq.gif

LibertyEsq
08-24-2011, 12:42 PM
We're statistically tied with Perry and Romney among voters in the East! NH anyone?

ProfNo
08-24-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm thinking that Palin would even kill some of Scary Perry's support.

Very true; I actually think she would take a lot of his support if she got in the race. They are both playing the "down home" card, i.e., the populist card. Bachmann is doing the same thing as well, but she has much less overall support hence would lose out to Palin big time.

Rothbardian Girl
08-24-2011, 12:47 PM

*EDIT: If I'm Bachman I'm really worried. You just won the Iowa Straw Poll and you fall behind the person who you just beat. Goes to show you that she really bought votes in Iowa, and that her support there is weak, IMO.

I definitely agree with your post. I'm not so confident we will pull so many supporters from Gingrich, but there may be a few people in the Cain camp who would consider Ron Paul. Welcome to the forums!

Edit: I just noticed some people complaining about seniors, and I agree they can be frustrating, but the issue would be nearly solved if Paul (and others supporting him) would mention that Ron Paul would not pull SS and Medicare out from everybody. I bet a lot of seniors would agree making significant cuts to defense in order to pad SS is a good strategy. I haven't met many hawkish seniors, although it may be different for the rest of you. Just saying! A lot of it comes down to perception, I guess...

ProfNo
08-24-2011, 12:53 PM
We're now tied with Bachmann in the RCP average at 9.2 each

Not anymore. They just added the PPP poll, and that dropped us. The 3% number is still there too; looks like they are keeping all of the polls from this month, not just taking the newest ones.

Damn that PPP poll!

8ClicksPerSecond
08-24-2011, 12:58 PM
It's so sad that Perry has 29%. I'd rather have Obama or Romney than that clown.

kylejack
08-24-2011, 12:59 PM
The poll also says that Paul is polling 18% in the Midwest. Astounding.

LibertyEsq
08-24-2011, 12:59 PM
It's so sad that Perry has 29%. I'd rather have Obama or Romney than that clown.

Hopefully Revpac will get helped out by a few billionaires (Peter Thiel?) so they can air some negative ads on Perry. His favorables are WAY too good in this poll

Epic
08-24-2011, 01:00 PM
We win younger voters!

But Perry beats us by a factor of 10 (!) among older people.

MRoCkEd
08-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Perry will drop. He's getting the just-announced bump, plus he hasn't been vetted.

Bruno
08-24-2011, 01:02 PM
How are you doing that?

Donate $20 for the annual fee. :)

Agorism
08-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Put in that PPP national, and I doubt we tie with Bachmann...

matt0611
08-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Perry will drop. He's getting the just-announced bump, plus he hasn't been vetted.

This is very true. You can see how Michelle Bachmann media coverage bump and surprise first place in the Iowa straw poll coverage is starting to wane. The same will happen with Perry, he will drop as the weeks go on, no doubt about it. He will still probably be in first place but he is far overrated in these polls.

We are definitely making progress.

kylejack
08-24-2011, 01:05 PM
It isn't so much about other candidates falling as it is about us proving our message. There are no easy votes to poach here. We're selling something different than the other candidates.

S.Shorland
08-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Everyone gets a 10% welcome/curiosity bounce which then fades.Paul just won't lose support once it is won so he is indeed starting to cook.The seniors should know that he won't privatise their benefits ie sell them to Wallstreet (see Concord Monitor Q&A on Youtube).Cut the militarism to tide the seniors over while letting the young still capable of work an opt out and ability to save in inflation proof gold/silver real money.Paul will win it and the general election too.

kylejack
08-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Put in that PPP national, and I doubt we tie with Bachmann...
Yeah, that guy was wrong. RCP has us at 8.7 vs. Bachmann's 9.3. They use the Palin-included version of each poll, though.

LibertyEsq
08-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Yeah, that guy was wrong. RCP has us at 8.7 vs. Bachmann's 9.3. They use the Palin-included version of each poll, though.

No, I wasn't wrong, Paul was for a time tied with Bachmann on RCP. The PPP poll just got added

ItsTime
08-24-2011, 01:07 PM
//

LatinsforPaul
08-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Yes, we need to work on the senior's vote. But....

An easier and better strategy would be to DOUBLE the amount of voters from the 18-29 group where Dr. Paul does best. There is a lot of voter apathy in that group. So if we can get at least twice as many to show up at the polls, I believe that can put Dr. Paul over the top.

IndianaPolitico
08-24-2011, 01:11 PM
I think that we could pick up a TON of the older voting group if we run more ads like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AmY-fW3gdc

KingRobbStark
08-24-2011, 01:14 PM
All we do is win.

Agorism
08-24-2011, 01:16 PM
I think that we could pick up a TON of the older voting group if we run more ads like this:

Did that ad actually air in Iowa or NH?

IndianaPolitico
08-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Did that ad actually air in Iowa or NH?
I really don't know, I don't think the campaign had the money to air it much, but I could be wrong. I think ads like this aired mostly in the later states. (The ones we did well in.)

SamuraisWisdom
08-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Also worth noting is we got 11% of the female vote compared to 14% of the male. Glad to see we're making inroads on that front as well!!

RDM
08-24-2011, 01:21 PM
I definitely agree with your post. I'm not so confident we will pull so many supporters from Gingrich, but there may be a few people in the Cain camp who would consider Ron Paul. Welcome to the forums!

Edit: I just noticed some people complaining about seniors, and I agree they can be frustrating, but the issue would be nearly solved if Paul (and others supporting him) would mention that Ron Paul would not pull SS and Medicare out from everybody. I bet a lot of seniors would agree making significant cuts to defense in order to pad SS is a good strategy. I haven't met many hawkish seniors, although it may be different for the rest of you. Just saying! A lot of it comes down to perception, I guess...

This is where a direct mail campaign focused solely on households with seniors could benefit tremendously. A large portion of seniors are not computer savvy, so a majority get their news from MSM. The direct mail piece should mainly focus on the senior citizen benefits and RP's stand on those issues. At least it could get their attention, especially if they have a pre-conceived opinion of him due to misleading info spewed out from news sources. How much would it cost to do this on a rolling basis with the primary focus on key states we need to win and then a continued effort nationally as more campaign funds come in?

Romulus
08-24-2011, 01:21 PM

An easier and better strategy would be to DOUBLE the amount of voters from the 18-29 group where Dr. Paul does best. There is a lot of voter apathy in that group. So if we can get at least twice as many to show up at the polls, I believe that can put Dr. Paul over the top.

Path of least resistance.

mport1
08-24-2011, 01:28 PM
We need to do better with 50+. That would give us a huge boost. He is leading everybody with 29% for 18-29!

low preference guy
08-24-2011, 01:30 PM
We need to do better with 50+. That would give us a huge boost. He is leading everybody with 29% for 18-29!

what's a good pitch for them? Ron Paul is the only one in favor of higher interest rates which helps savers and those in retirement?

S.Shorland
08-24-2011, 01:35 PM
You can see your grandkids more often and they won't be missing body parts or sitting in a wheelchair.

what's a good pitch for them? Ron Paul is the only one in favor of higher interest rates which helps savers and those in retirement?

TexMac
08-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Cool tweet from Taegan Goddard: (http://twitter.com/#%21/pwire/statuses/106440405654052864)

Even more interesting than Perry taking the lead in the GOP race is Ron Paul in third place... http://pwire.at/pEaCqt (http://t.co/tp4oxHh)

virginiakid
08-24-2011, 01:39 PM
WOW, this is HUGE.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/24/huffpost-patch-gop-power-outsiders_n_934487.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl6|sec3_lnk1|88905

Seems like Palin would be hurt by a run for president.

Travlyr
08-24-2011, 01:42 PM
How are you doing that?

Membership Subscriptions: RonPaulForums.com / LibertyForest.com is in part supported by donations from our membership community though Membership Subscriptions. Subscriptions are $20 annually and provide you with the following site enhancements:

+ Private Message Space increased to 1500 Messages.
+ User can use up to 90px x 90px Animated Avatar.
+ User Can Upload Static Image for Signatures. Max width 600px Max height: 100px.
+ User Can Set Self to Invisible Mode.
+ Custom user title.
+ Allowance for one forum name edit. PM an admin.

Subscriptions can be ordered here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/payments.php

mport1
08-24-2011, 01:55 PM

It is going to be hard since they are likely very set in their ways. Also, they are likely scared by the fact that Ron Paul believes Social Security and Medicare are unconstitutional and immoral.

IndianaPolitico
08-24-2011, 02:10 PM
More ads like this:

"Feel good" ads like this would REALLY help.

Karsten
08-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Anybody here ever heard of this guy named Ron Paul? I kind of like him.

georgiaboy
08-24-2011, 02:17 PM
great, great news!

Uriah
08-24-2011, 02:28 PM

http://www.google.com/trends?q=ron+paul&geo=usa&sa=N

Cool!

kylejack
08-24-2011, 02:48 PM
He's catching on, I'm tellin' ya.

nbhadja
08-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Some one with a hannity forums account please post this on that forum. I really wanna see what they say. Even the neo-cons are softening on their stance. They used to say "Ron Paul is completely unelectable" but now they are saying "He maybe electable in the eye's of the general public, but among Republican primary voters he is not". It's getting torn down brick by brick.

White Bear Lake
08-24-2011, 02:59 PM

We don't like wars in the Midwest.

Sans Illinois (because of Obama's hometown effect in Chicago), Paul would sweep the Midwest + Pennsylvania in the general.

Buchananite
08-24-2011, 03:02 PM
I am beginning to think Perry could be unstoppable. Something has to be done to neutralize him.

trey4sports
08-24-2011, 03:04 PM
I've lived everywhere in MO and the whole state feels like a giant hub for neo-con's. Maybe it is changing?

trey4sports
08-24-2011, 03:04 PM
I am beginning to think Perry could be unstoppable. Something has to be done to neutralize him.

It's way early. Dirt will be dug up in due time.

RileyE104
08-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Those are some awesome results!!!

If you look at the demographics, we're polling third in all of them except for:

- losing among people who are 50+ years old.
- wining among 18 to 29 year olds. :)
- tied for second among 30 to 49 year olds!

Also, when Rudy Guliani and Sarah Palin are included:

We're above Guliani now! :p
In the last poll he was being Paul 11% to 8%, but this time he's losing w/ 9% to Paul's 11%.

We're also tied with Palin at 11% as opposed to the previous poll where she was winning by four points w/ 12%.

Other great news is that Bachmann drops to single digits from 11% to 7%!

Let's see if Bill O'Reilly and Dick Morris bring up this poll tonight when they discuss Paul, or will they stick with the old one because it fits their scenario better? I will give them props if they talk about this poll.

willwash
08-24-2011, 03:07 PM
I think the most significant thing about this poll is how badly Romney tanked to Rick Perry. Once Parry's big banker record is exposed he will suffer, but the damage to Romney will remain, leaving the top position wide open.

Diurdi
08-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Well Bachman seems to be on a downward trajectory.

White Bear Lake
08-24-2011, 03:09 PM
I've lived everywhere in MO and the whole state feels like a giant hub for neo-con's. Maybe it is changing?

Dunno much about Missouri politics. You won't find many neocons in the upper Midwest though. And Obama's been increasingly unpopular in the lower Midwest so I figured Paul would be able to wrap up wins there, too.

Uriah
08-24-2011, 03:13 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/US_map-Midwest.PNG

The midwest is more than Missouri, I know you know that, but just wanted to say.

jmdrake
08-24-2011, 03:17 PM
If you look at the numbers, Dr. Paul is at his highest number yet. Every other candidate downticked except for him and Cain who stayed at 4%. So basically Perry and Paul took points from the other candidates. Perry because he's new, Paul because well, he's right and tells the truth. Good to see more people catching on.

Yep. Now it's time to tell the truth on Perry. A candidate who tried to force little girls to take an experimental STD vaccine and who got an award from a Mexican president for his efforts to help illegal immigrants shouldn't even be in the running for a GOP primary.

Travlyr
08-24-2011, 03:39 PM

I want a bumper sticker that says, "Who is 'Ron Paul?'"

FreeTraveler
08-24-2011, 03:48 PM
I want a bumper sticker that says, "Who is 'Ron Paul?'"
Don't make me blimp this thread. :D

Matt Collins
08-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Jack Hunter's take on it:
http://www.ronpaul2012.com/2011/08/24/gallup-ron-paul-in-top-3/

Matt Collins
08-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Ron Paul Top Three Among GOP Contenders in Gallup Poll
Survey has Paul quietly surging into top three

LAKE JACKSON, Texas – In a new Gallup survey (http://iowaforronpaul.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=af10358490fc15b52a962f667&id=1cfc88ace0&e=faeada51fb), 2012 Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul takes third place among top GOP contenders and is within striking distance of second. The results, which are based on a survey of Republican and Republican-leaning independents, have Paul at 13 percent and ahead of most of the Republican primary field. These results come just a day after a newly released Rasmussen poll (http://iowaforronpaul.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=af10358490fc15b52a962f667&id=09116ac612&e=faeada51fb) showed him within 1 percent of President Obama in a head-to-head match up.

“The campaign is continuing to pick up momentum and energy,” said Ron Paul 2012 Campaign Manager John Tate. “Dr. Paul is gaining ground in poll after poll, affirming that people are looking for real change instead of the status quo they are being offered from the establishment candidates.”

Paul is coming off a strong finish in the Iowa Straw Poll, where he barely missed the top spot by less than one percent. In addition, recent surveys taken in both New Hampshire (http://iowaforronpaul.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=af10358490fc15b52a962f667&id=9f30adab52&e=faeada51fb) and Iowa (http://iowaforronpaul.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=af10358490fc15b52a962f667&id=3973259b76&e=faeada51fb) show the Congressman in the top three of Republican contenders.

Another recent Gallup survey (http://iowaforronpaul.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=af10358490fc15b52a962f667&id=f70ac0a8c5&e=faeada51fb), conducted August 17-18, shows Paul only 2 points behind Obama in a general election match-up. In a similar head to head survey from last year done by Rasmussen (http://iowaforronpaul.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=af10358490fc15b52a962f667&id=326df36bb9&e=faeada51fb), Paul actually drew a statistical dead heat with the President. And earlier this year in a survey by CNN (http://iowaforronpaul.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=af10358490fc15b52a962f667&id=9ef6facf36&e=faeada51fb), he did the best out of the other Republicans put up against Obama in a head-to-head poll.

orenbus
08-24-2011, 04:17 PM
The just showed the poll results with Ron Paul as 3rd on Fox News.

sorianofan
08-24-2011, 04:49 PM

Rick Perry: 29%
Mitt Romney 17%
Ron Paul 13%
Michele Bachmann: 10%
Hermain Cain: 4%
Newt Gingrich: 4%
Rick Santorum: 3%
Jon Huntsman: 1%

Ron Paul moved up 1 spot, and gained 3% since the last poll!

When Rick Perry collapses we can win this thing!

Dlynne
08-24-2011, 04:53 PM

Over the next few weeks, the media will have time to go through his record. Perry is not as conservative as people thing. He was very much in favor of the North American Partnership. I expect Perry's numbers to drop during the next month or so.

JTforRP
08-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Not gonna backread this entire thread and I'm sure it's been tossed out there, but how the FUCK is there this big of a difference between Gallup and PPP? What happened to the minor sampling error? PPP's results show Paul as a complete after-thought in like 75th place. And here he is in 3rd with great favorables. I just don't get it.

parocks
08-24-2011, 05:14 PM

We need to do voter registration.

Iowa City, Iowa.

university of Iowa

Students 30,328
Undergraduates 20,574
Postgraduates 9,754

Ames, Iowa

Iowa State University

Students 28,682 (Fall 2010)
Undergraduates 23,104 (Fall 2010)
Postgraduates 4,991 (Fall 2010)

iowa caucus results 2008
Republicans
40 unpledged delegates
Candidate Vote % Delegates
Mike Huckabee 40,841 34.4% 0
Mitt Romney 29,949 25.2 0
Fred D. Thompson 15,904 13.4 0
John McCain 15,559 13.1 0
Ron Paul 11,817 10.0 0
Rudolph W. Giuliani4,097 3.5 0
Duncan Hunter 524 0.4 0
Tom Tancredo 5 0.0 0

asurfaholic
08-24-2011, 05:22 PM
This is really good news. I've been walking around in a bad mood since I heard the bad numbers from PPP. This really brightens my day. Now I can eat cheese cake and smile.

trey4sports
08-24-2011, 05:27 PM

Young people don't vote. Period. Target those who vote, which is the senior crowd.

kylejack
08-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Young people don't vote. Period. Target those who vote, which is the senior crowd.
51.1% of 18-29 voted in 2008. Sure, 30 and up is 67%, but there's still plenty of young voters to mine.

parocks
08-24-2011, 05:42 PM

Old people don't like Ron Paul, young people do.

One of the polls yesterday had Ron Paul at 38% 18-29.

The easiest thing would be just to lose.

Our support is young people. We have to register them and get them to the polls. Either that, or lose.

Paul4Prez
08-24-2011, 05:44 PM
51.1% of 18-29 voted in 2008. Sure, 30 and up is 67%, but there's still plenty of young voters to mine.

I agree. It's easier to remind/get people who already like you to go to the polls than to change people's minds.
One is a logistical problem that can be solved. The other is a philosophical problem. This is not a standard campaign; this is a revolution. Young people lead revolutions.

parocks
08-24-2011, 05:46 PM

Negative Ads from RevPac?

Napoleon's Shadow
08-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Yep. Now it's time to tell the truth on Perry. A candidate who tried to force little girls to take an experimental STD vaccine and who got an award from a Mexican president for his efforts to help illegal immigrants shouldn't even be in the running for a GOP primary.I think one of his appointees was on the board of Merck, the mfg of that particular drug, Gardasil. But don't take my word for it, do your own research.

parocks
08-24-2011, 06:00 PM
I agree. It's easier to remind/get people who already like you to go to the polls than to change people's minds.
One is a logistical problem that can be solved. The other is a philosophical problem. This is not a standard campaign; this is a revolution. Young people lead revolutions.

They need to be registered to vote. It's reaching the point where we don't have to persuade anybody. I mentioned elsewhere that there are more students in Iowa and Iowa State University than Huckabee (who won) got in the Iowa caucuses in 2008.

trey4sports
08-24-2011, 06:23 PM

historically the youth don't show up to vote. If you think it will magically happen then your in denial.

Old people don't like Ron Paul, young people do.

One of the polls yesterday had Ron Paul at 38% 18-29.

The easiest thing would be just to lose.

Our support is young people. We have to register them and get them to the polls. Either that, or lose.

Ron can tighten up his message to attract the elderly.

The choice is either emphasize parts of the platform in order to attract the older vote or try to attract a demographic that based on empirical evidence simply doesn't show up to the polls.

Trying to win a presidential nomination (in the GOP nontheless) based on young voters is something an amateur campaign would do. You may not like that we have to try and attract the older vote but that is reality.

Standard polling proved that in order to do well you have to run a standard campaign and do all the mundane things every other politician has to do. You may fool yourself into believing that Ron can magically reinvent the wheel of political campaigning but you can't fool reality.

kylejack
08-24-2011, 06:29 PM
historically the youth don't show up to vote. If you think it will magically happen then your in denial.

Perhaps what you meant to say is that youth turnout is lower than turnout in other demographics. If that's what you meant to say, you're correct, as I acknowledged. Still, their lower turnout is still a lot of people that we can persuade, and who are already sympathetic to our messages.

Here's a PDF on turnout: http://www.civicyouth.org/PopUps/FactSheets/FS_youth_Voting_2008_updated_6.22.pdf

The choice is either emphasize parts of the platform in order to attract the older vote or try to attract a demographic that based on empirical evidence simply doesn't show up to the polls.
This is known as the False Dilemma Fallacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma). We can pursue both groups of voters with different messaging. And we should.

pauliticalfan
08-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Three things here.

1) I love how the month after Bachmann wins Ames, she drops to fourth and we surge ahead of her. Good news there.

2) I honestly feel like PPP has a personal grudge against RP and his supporters. They CONSTANTLY have him way farther back than other pollsters, and make rude/demoralizing comments about Paul. Take PPP polls that have Ron's numbers low with a grain of salt. The fact that they have him at 16% in Iowa, though, means he could possibly be higher. Again, encouraging.

3) Ron Paul is a front runner. Period.

klamath
08-24-2011, 07:00 PM
look at the break down....40% of the people 65 plus vote for perry and 4% for Paul.

18-29 years of age...21% for Perry 29% for Paul.

Going off on a little RANT HERE....for anyone 65 plus...not to be mean...just telling it as it is...odds say you don't have that much longer to live...WHY ARE YOU DESTROYING THE WORLD FOR US YOUNG ADULTS....

They are the worst to talk to because they are so self centered and want everything given to them for the most part (of course there is some that don't)
Wake up and realize for the most part the 18-29 year old group has the most to worry about...we are the ones that have to pay off all of this debt and get us out of this mess you helped make...BUT YET YOU VOTE FOR PERRY....

GOD HELP THIS COUNTRY.

God help us the young people are going to vote obama again as shown by the other poll as they vote in a majority for Obama.

trey4sports
08-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Perhaps what you meant to say is that youth turnout is lower than turnout in other demographics. If that's what you meant to say, you're correct, as I acknowledged. Still, their lower turnout is still a lot of people that we can persuade, and who are already sympathetic to our messages.

Here's a PDF on turnout: http://www.civicyouth.org/PopUps/FactSheets/FS_youth_Voting_2008_updated_6.22.pdf

Obviously, some youth, somewhere will vote.

This is known as the False Dilemma Fallacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma). We can pursue both groups of voters with different messaging. And we should.

you believe whatever you like.

The empirical evidence suggests that building a winning campaign (especially in an old-white-male GOP) is going to be dependent on winning the old-vote which is by far the largest demographic in the GOP. Sure, we can sit around and sing Kumbaya and stress the importance of reaching all voters but that is useful for little more than morale. The old, white voter is still the largest voting block in the GOP by far.

http://i54.tinypic.com/24l5s8n.gif

Historically the youth have accounted for anywhere from 8 - 11% even at the highest point (11%) you're still looking at only 11 percent!

kylejack
08-24-2011, 07:24 PM
8-11% is a major important piece in a field with more than 2 candidates, as in a primary. If half of the youth are showing up at the polls, we want them on our side.

BlackTerrel
08-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Saw this earlier today. Don't let anyone fool you. This is HUGE. Striking distance of Romney now.

The field is wide open between the four in the lead now. And I see both Bachmann and Romney moving backwards.

parocks
08-24-2011, 08:09 PM
you believe whatever you like.

The empirical evidence suggests that building a winning campaign (especially in an old-white-male GOP) is going to be dependent on winning the old-vote which is by far the largest demographic in the GOP. Sure, we can sit around and sing Kumbaya and stress the importance of reaching all voters but that is useful for little more than morale. The old, white voter is still the largest voting block in the GOP by far.

http://i54.tinypic.com/24l5s8n.gif

Historically the youth have accounted for anywhere from 8 - 11% even at the highest point (11%) you're still looking at only 11 percent!

What do all the elections in the Gallup graphic have in common?

They're all off-year, non Presidential elections.

We are volunteers (or grassroots, if you prefer). Where we should shine is in our ability to move people to the polls.
There are a lot of us. We don't make the TV commercials, we don't do the persuading. That's what the campaign does.

And what the campaign has done is make Ron Paul popular with the young, not so much with the old.

So, we know who our voters are. It's up to US to get them to the polls.

If our voters were old, we'd be in nursing homes. They're not. They're young. There are huge buildings where hundreds and hundreds of our voters live.
They're called "dorms". Make sure everyone in the dorms is registered Republican, and then on election day, make sure they vote.

AlexAmore
08-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Would be amazing to see Ron Paul get past Romney. That alone should give us another boost. Then Rick Perry peters out just like Bachmann and now Romney.

Is it possible to have some sort of bus show up to universities that has a big call to action sign to come vote on the day of voting? Think about the students who don't have cars and easy transportation. Obviously they take buses to school and back but I've seen none to voting places. I might be wrong. I never went to a university.

parocks
08-24-2011, 08:21 PM
What do all the elections in the Gallup graphic have in common?

They're all off-year, non Presidential elections.

We are volunteers (or grassroots, if you prefer). Where we should shine is in our ability to move people to the polls.
There are a lot of us. We don't make the TV commercials, we don't do the persuading. That's what the campaign does.

And what the campaign has done is make Ron Paul popular with the young, not so much with the old.

So, we know who our voters are. It's up to US to get them to the polls.

If our voters were old, we'd be in nursing homes. They're not. They're young. There are huge buildings where hundreds and hundreds of our voters live.
They're called "dorms". Make sure everyone in the dorms is registered Republican, and then on election day, make sure they vote.

I was looking at the 2008 data from the earlier link. in 2008 - 18-29 were 17.1% of the total votes. not 8, not 11. That was a midterm.

justatrey
08-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Was at my parents' today who watch the NBC nightly news and seeing Ron's picture above Bachmann's truly made my day. I still can't believe they showed it. Maybe the guy filling in for Brian Williams didn't get the memo to never mention Ron? In any case, I'd say this solidifies the fact that we are "top tier".

The second big story here is how fast Romney is fading, imo.

To win there's no doubt we need to do better with the older crowd. One of the biggest things we can do, since we can't reach many of them on the internet, is to promote the hell out of these money bombs so the campaign has the funds to run their tv ads.

parocks
08-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Would be amazing to see Ron Paul get past Romney. That alone should give us another boost. Then Rick Perry peters out just like Bachmann and now Romney.

Is it possible to have some sort of bus show up to universities that has a big call to action sign to come vote on the day of voting? Think about the students who don't have cars and easy transportation. Obviously they take buses to school and back but I've seen none to voting places. I might be wrong. I never went to a university.

If a bus is needed, a bus should be available. I would assume that large universities would have precincts on campus.

We should have these large, important universities locked down. If we're getting 40% 18-29 - we should have many supporters on every floor of every dorm. We need to accomplish registering everybody Republican, and we should make sure they all vote.

Did anyone do standard election day stuff last time around. Or ever. You poll watch. You pay attention to who has voted and who has not.

Here, we'd have a floor leader. We call the floor leader, or the dorm leader, and we tell them who hasn't voted, and he rounds them up and drags them to the polls.
We will be winning in these colleges, all the time that we would spend on IDing them, or persuading them would be spent on registering them, setting up a system to drag them to the polls, and drag them to the polls.

Paul4Prez
08-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Put that in your "top tier" and smoke it, media.

Fatejuggler
08-24-2011, 09:38 PM
I think one of the main issues with seniors is that they are under the wrong impression that "Ron Paul wants to destroy medicare and social security." Targeting seniors with information, through whatever means, clarifying Ron Paul's true positions on these things would probably do a lot of good.

FSP-Rebel
08-24-2011, 09:46 PM
I think one of the main issues with seniors is that they are under the wrong impression that "Ron Paul wants to destroy medicare and social security." Targeting seniors with information, through whatever means, clarifying Ron Paul's true positions on these things would probably do a lot of good.
Like, duh, your retirement income is on the fritz because of the bankers with their bs low interest rates. Everyone has got to promo Ron and his anti-fed message, Jesus H. It bites u in the as@ since it won't get u no xtra income, got it? I'll tell u a little more if ya want it.

BucksforPaul
08-24-2011, 11:06 PM
I remember back in 2007, there was a grassroots effort to visit senior citizen centers/retirement homes in order to promote Dr. Paul. Maybe we need to organize a similar effort again emphasizing a few key points such as Dr. Paul has never voted to spend a penny of the SS fund. He advocates for an interest rate determined by the true free market which would be significantly higher than currently, thus higher income for them. He is the only one with a clear plan to save the bankrupt SS system by cutting oversees spending and using those funds to protect their future.

Every senior citizen that I have talked to acknowledges that the SS system is broke because the funds have already been spent by this overspending government so we do not have to convince them on this fact. Furthermore, Dr. Paul does not want to privatize the SS fund because that would cause even more problems as he said in a recent interview.

The other candidates are not even addressing the SS issue while Dr. Paul has a plan to save it. We need to pound this point as much as we can. His status as a veteran should also be emphasized along with his vibrant health.

I am sure there are many more points we could come up with which would appeal to the senior citizens so what do y'all think?

Erentheca
08-24-2011, 11:10 PM
I think the best strategy with seniors is to gently obliterate the wishful thinking behind the "guns and butter" spending spree.

If we can get some good publicized numbers at how deliberate inflation is eating away at their fixed incomes, and how programs like social security and medicare are likely to not even exist soon thanks to prolonged militarism, we can start to change some of their minds. Unfortunately the humanitarian arguments against militarism and foreign interventionism will not be as effective, but if they had some good data that showed their benefits being devoured by wars that do nothing to enhance their lives, that might make an impact.

It really should be that clear to seniors: the longer our troops stay over there, the more you lose, and if we don't stop fighting now, and if we attack Iran, you will lose everything. When they look at Romney and Rick Perry, the only thought that should cross their mind is, "If he gets elected, I will lose all my benefits, and if I am pensioned or on 401K, it will get wiped out by inflation."

It's a bizarre situation we are in. Much of what Ron Paul talks about has historically dealt with long-term sustainability, but clearly our monetary system is spiraling out of control right now, and the reality to seniors is "This is happening in your lifetime, so yes, you have to deal with it too."

Karsten
08-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Bachman clearly has received no bump from the Straw poll win. I don't think many people are paying all that much attention to the race right now. Now, a win in the Iowa Caucus, after no media coverage...... THAT would create a bump! (And embarrass the media!)

Erentheca
08-24-2011, 11:23 PM
I remember back in 2007, there was a grassroots effort to visit senior citizen centers/retirement homes in order to promote Dr. Paul. Maybe we need to organize a similar effort again emphasizing a few key points such as Dr. Paul has never voted to spend a penny of the SS fund. He advocates for an interest rate determined by the true free market which would be significantly higher than currently, thus higher income for them. He is the only one with a clear plan to save the bankrupt SS system by cutting oversees spending and using those funds to protect their future.

Every senior citizen that I have talked to acknowledges that the SS system is broke because the funds have already been spent by this overspending government so we do not have to convince them on this fact. Furthermore, Dr. Paul does not want to privatize the SS fund because that would cause even more problems as he said in a recent interview.

The other candidates are not even addressing the SS issue while Dr. Paul has a plan to save it. We need to pound this point as much as we can. His status as a veteran should also be emphasized along with his vibrant health.

I am sure there are many more points we could come up with which would appeal to the senior citizens so what do y'all think?

That's a good point. If they realize that SS is getting eaten up, and the only person with a realistic plan to save it is Ron Paul, that fact alone would do amazingly well. I think also Ron Paul's long medical career needs emphasis, since it gives him the most legitimate perspective on the medical system. I also don't hear enough about Ron Paul's refusal to sign up for the government pension he is allowed to receive as a member of Congress. Seniors care a lot about honesty, and nothing speaks more about honesty than an individual's personal finances.

Erentheca
08-24-2011, 11:27 PM
"His staff helps senior citizens obtain free or low-cost prescription drugs through a little-known drug company program; procures lost or unreceived medals for war veterans, holding dozens of medal ceremonies annually; is known for its effectiveness in tracing Social Security checks; and sends out birthday and condolence cards." That was on Wikipedia of all places. A simple spotlight on Ron Paul's relationship with his own district would do a lot to get the senior vote.

Paul4Prez
08-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Ron Paul FTW!

mosquitobite
08-25-2011, 06:15 PM
"His staff helps senior citizens obtain free or low-cost prescription drugs through a little-known drug company program; procures lost or unreceived medals for war veterans, holding dozens of medal ceremonies annually; is known for its effectiveness in tracing Social Security checks; and sends out birthday and condolence cards." That was on Wikipedia of all places. A simple spotlight on Ron Paul's relationship with his own district would do a lot to get the senior vote.

Man I love that man!

Bruno
08-25-2011, 06:17 PM

Would be a good grassroots ad project.