PDA

View Full Version : CIA aided New York police in spying on Muslims: report

bobbyw24
08-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Despite a prohibition on spying within the United States, the Central Intelligence Agency played a key role in transforming the New York Police Department's intelligence unit into a cutting edge spy shop dedicated to gathering information on Muslims, and not just in New York.

That's according to a new report out Wednesday by The Associated Press, which claims a veteran CIA agent helped train one of the NYPD's detectives in advanced surveillance methods. They also sent an undercover agent to work in the department, the report says.

With the CIA's help, the NYPD has gathered information on cab drivers, street level food vendors, ethnic book stores, Internet cafes and even mosques, sending snoops in to listen to sermons -- all without a hint of federal, state or local oversight.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/08/24/cia-aided-new-york-police-in-spying-on-muslims-report/?utm_source=Raw+Story+Daily+Update&utm_campaign=11c1386f2c-8_24_118_24_2011&utm_medium=email

freedom-maniac
08-24-2011, 08:53 AM
The anti-Islamic sentiment in this country has really begun to alarm me.

Well, for what it's worth, if there is anyone left who denies the gov't has been spying on private citizens, I think this just about concludes it.

oyarde
08-24-2011, 09:55 AM
The FBI , was on the places of worship before 2005 . I have seen the report . Why would you need police , CIA & FBI coverage ? That does not appear cost effective :)

Seraphim
08-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Anyone who claims the CIA is an instrument for good needs to get their delusional head checked.

THIS IS THE NORM. NOT THE EXCEPTION.

oyarde
08-24-2011, 10:04 AM
Someone should start a thread where people can list pros & cons of the CIA's past performance .

ExPatPaki
08-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Nothing new here. They've been spying on me and my family since 1995.

oyarde
08-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Nothing new here. They've been spying on me and my family since 1995.Your good with me ExPatPakistan !

oyarde
08-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Anyone who claims the CIA is an instrument for good needs to get their delusional head checked.

THIS IS THE NORM. NOT THE EXCEPTION. I am trying to think if they have done anything good and I am getting a blank .... First major failure I can come up with off the top of my head is Iran involvement in the 1950's .

oyarde
08-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Despite a prohibition on spying within the United States, the Central Intelligence Agency played a key role in transforming the New York Police Department's intelligence unit into a cutting edge spy shop dedicated to gathering information on Muslims, and not just in New York.

That's according to a new report out Wednesday by The Associated Press, which claims a veteran CIA agent helped train one of the NYPD's detectives in advanced surveillance methods. They also sent an undercover agent to work in the department, the report says.

With the CIA's help, the NYPD has gathered information on cab drivers, street level food vendors, ethnic book stores, Internet cafes and even mosques, sending snoops in to listen to sermons -- all without a hint of federal, state or local oversight.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/08/24/cia-aided-new-york-police-in-spying-on-muslims-report/?utm_source=Raw+Story+Daily+Update&utm_campaign=11c1386f2c-8_24_118_24_2011&utm_medium=email They are also involved in the American Southwest with the Mexican drug cartels....

pcosmar
08-24-2011, 10:43 AM
I am trying to think if they have done anything good and I am getting a blank .... First major failure I can come up with off the top of my head is Iran involvement in the 1950's .
That is just the first known one.

I honestly can't see any positives, but can think of several massive failures.

oyarde
08-24-2011, 10:49 AM
That is just the first known one.

I honestly can't see any positives, but can think of several massive failures. Me too , we need a thread where everyone can add all that are known , then people can print it off and circulate it to co workers , family members , hell anyone you know who would maybe vote in the Presidential primary.

oyarde
08-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Nothing new here. They've been spying on me and my family since 1995. I wonder what the salary is for a NYPD detective ?

amy31416
08-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Nothing new here. They've been spying on me and my family since 1995.

There was some Muslim college kid who found a tracking device on his car not so long ago, and if I recall correctly, it was an FBI device--and they went apeshit and raided his apartment when he posted a picture of it online asking what it was.

I think most everyone should assume that they're under surveillance these days.

pcosmar
08-24-2011, 11:25 AM
I think most everyone should assume that they're under surveillance these days.

A safe assumption.

:(

oyarde
08-24-2011, 11:25 AM
There was some Muslim college kid who found a tracking device on his car not so long ago, and if I recall correctly, it was an FBI device--and they went apeshit and raided his apartment when he posted a picture of it online asking what it was.

I think most everyone should assume that they're under surveillance these days. Yeah , he should have called me , I would have advised him to list it on e bay :)

oyarde
08-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Yeah , he should have called me , I would have advised him to list it on e bay :) They want it back , make 'em bid on it !