PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's campaign should make a commercial about his foreign policy

Duckman
08-23-2011, 01:32 PM
SO, I had a thought while driving today...

In my own experience talking to conservatives, their main beef with Ron Paul is usually his foreign policy. Like most people here, I believe Ron Paul has the correct foreign policy, so I'm not suggesting he change anything. However, it seems that many rank-and-file conservative voters are fightened of a change in America's foreign policy, even those who maybe have reservations about how long we've been in Iraq/Afghanistan.

I think the campaign needs to make changing minds about Ron's foreign policy mission #1. This is especially true because the neocons have been pounding interventionist ideas like "pre-emptive war" through their media outlets ad nauseum for the past decade or longer, despite the lack of positive geopolitical results.

I'm thinking we can maybe help sway both conservatives afraid of Ron's foreign policy AND women if the campaign were to target a commercial around foreign policy that has special appeal to women.

My thought is make a :30 second spot that starts with news articles (headlines, talking heads, etc.) about setbacks in our war effort, about surges and drawdowns, and new surges, all while a worried (female?) voice reminds the viewer how "no end is in sight" in Afghanistan/Iraq, maybe with some footage of fatigued soldiers, reminding the viewer of how much American life and wealth is being wasted on these wars. Then maybe cut to some voiceovers of Ron Paul talking about a strong national defense at home, rather than using the US military to provide free defense of our overseas allies. The commercial should also show figures of how much we are spending and maybe end with a reunion between a military serviceman and his/her family, with a voiceover making it clear that "Ron Paul is the only candidate who will end these useless and expensive foreign wars and bring America's military home so they can return to their duty of providing a strong national defense" or something like that. I think showing a military family reunion could be the kind of "tender moment" needed to attract the attention of women voters.

Thoughts? Maybe this has been discussed before but I really, really think the campaign should focus on getting the message out about his foreign policy in a positive light to avoid the media poision.

JamesButabi
08-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Ive been screaming this from the rooftops. Although my interpretation was to show him as very strong on national defense so we can take care of our seniors.

LibertyEsq
08-23-2011, 01:35 PM
SO, I had a thought while driving today...

In my own experience talking to conservatives, their main beef with Ron Paul is usually his foreign policy. Like most people here, I believe Ron Paul has the correct foreign policy, so I'm not suggesting he change anything. However, it seems that many rank-and-file conservative voters are fightened of a change in America's foreign policy, even those who maybe have reservations about how long we've been in Iraq/Afghanistan.

I think the campaign needs to make changing minds about Ron's foreign policy mission #1. This is especially true because the neocons have been pounding interventionist ideas like "pre-emptive war" through their media outlets ad nauseum for the past decade or longer, despite the lack of positive geopolitical results.

I'm thinking we can maybe help sway both conservatives afraid of Ron's foreign policy AND women if the campaign were to target a commercial around foreign policy that has special appeal to women.

My thought is make a :30 second spot that starts with news articles (headlines, talking heads, etc.) about setbacks in our war effort, about surges and drawdowns, and new surges, all while a worried (female?) voice reminds the viewer how "no end is in sight" in Afghanistan/Iraq, maybe with some footage of fatigued soldiers, reminding the viewer of how much American life and wealth is being wasted on these wars. Then maybe cut to some voiceovers of Ron Paul talking about a strong national defense at home, rather than using the US military to provide free defense of our overseas allies. The commercial should also show figures of how much we are spending and maybe end with a reunion between a military serviceman and his/her family, with a voiceover making it clear that "Ron Paul is the only candidate who will end these useless and expensive foreign wars and bring America's military home so they can return to their duty of providing a strong national defense" or something like that. I think showing a military family reunion could be the kind of "tender moment" needed to attract the attention of women voters.

Thoughts? Maybe this has been discussed before but I really, really think the campaign should focus on getting the message out about his foreign policy in a positive light to avoid the media poision.

It's important we not sound defensive on foreign policy, and rather just explain our position more clearly. And for that reason, I LOVE this idea for an ad. It could appeal to military families as well as fiscal hawks.

Sjmfury
08-23-2011, 01:40 PM
We must show that we are pro-defense but not pro-police.

Duckman
08-23-2011, 01:41 PM
It's important we not sound defensive on foreign policy, and rather just explain our position more clearly. And for that reason, I LOVE this idea for an ad. It could appeal to military families as well as fiscal hawks.

Yeah, I think stating our position more clearly would be a benefit too. Obviously we don't want this to backfire, but I guess I was thinking that showing a reunion and using a female voice-over could attract some of that apparently lacking female support. And I also like James' idea of reminding the public that something has got to give with the debt, so cutting back the spending on these wars could help to save the benefits we provide to seniors today.

fearthereaperx
08-23-2011, 01:51 PM
He needs people with military, intelligence credentials backing him up as well. Anything with just Ron Paul's words will be easily dismissed by the Neo cons. Remember, they are very emotionally invested in militarism and interventionist policies and they don't like Ron because of it.

Regardless, The ad will go very well with independants and moderates though.

SWATH
08-23-2011, 01:52 PM
I envision a quick scene of the colorized New York ticker tape parades for returning troops at the end of WWII, to acknowledge that they have done the duty asked of them and now they can come home with their heads held high. I say this because some of the militant neocons I talk to really want want their victory parade. If they can't come home with all the glory then they would rather not come home until they get it. Also one of the reasons they don't support Ron Paul, because they perceive he won't give the soldiers their "victory".

LibertyEsq
08-23-2011, 01:53 PM
He needs people with military, intelligence credentials backing him up as well. Anything with just Ron Paul's words will be easily dismissed by the Neo cons. Remember, they are very emotionally invested in militarism and interventionist policies and they don't like Ron because of it.

Regardless, The ad will go very well with independants and moderates though.

We already have huge chunks of independants and moderates. We need the ad to appeal to tea partiers and conservatives by stressing the cost of all our wars as well as the benefit to national defense and to the economy when the troops are brought home.

A good talking point could be: "Our troops swore to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, not the Constitution of Iraq" or something like that...

Join The Paul Side
08-23-2011, 02:08 PM
I think this is an awesome idea. It MUST happen. We need to quit letting the Neocons dictate Ron's policy as "Isolationist" and present to people the truth that he is strong on national defense.

Bringing our troops home from across the planet to protect our borders does not make us weak, but rather makes us stronger from within and saves us a ton of money. :D

jbuttell
08-23-2011, 02:57 PM
good idea, but as truthful as it may seem, I'd avoid the word 'useless' because someone can easily tell you what bullshit purpose it serves according to what the media has told them. I'd suggest something a bit more difficult to counter, such as "unwise". Then, if they're still compelled to argue, they'll have to not only explain their position but also why it's in our best interest....

svobody
08-23-2011, 03:49 PM
I would like to see a commercial that compares the total $ cost of Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Pakistan vs. how much we spend on other things. People need to understand the financial aspect of these wars.

HeyArchie
08-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Don't forget to throw in RP gets tons of money from military personnel. They obviously want to come home and stay home too.