PDA

View Full Version : Irene to hit FL, GA cat 4; Obama's Katina?

cindy25
08-22-2011, 11:36 PM
http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral/article/tropical-depression-nine-storm-hurricane-irene_2011-08-20

Buchananite
08-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Luis Fortuno has a mess on his hands now, I wish him the best.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/history/american/8677-ron-paul-as-an-anti-communist-cold-warrior

oyarde
08-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Last night , the projections looked like Florida , today , looks like a right hook to the Carolinas .

PastaRocket848
08-23-2011, 09:25 AM
hurricanes are a perfect example of media sensationalism. sure, occasionally some idiots will build a city in a fishbowl and get flooded (surprise, surprise), but i've lived through more than i can count on two hands and every time one comes i just watch the news and laught. outside: a really stiff wind and some sideways rain, on tv: the world is collapsing from all corners. it's like they search out and find the absolute worst looking scene they can and then blast that all over the news as if all of florida is in that kind of shape.

i remember during charlie i was out on the pier (on my motorcycle none the less) having a hell of a time playing around in the storm. when i got home and watched the news i could understand why my family had been calling so much: CNN made it look like the apocalypse.

but anyway, no, irene is not going to be anything like katrina. katrina was a man-made disaster. i don't think we have any sub-sea-level cities on the coast of FL/GA/SC/NC

nobody's_hero
08-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Someone beat me to it, and nailed it.

In GA, we don't build stuff below sea level, so I doubt this'll be any sort of "Katrina."

We're at sea level (and Florida is more-so), pretty much, but we've survived worse.

Besides, we need the rain.

BuddyRey
08-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Here in the Southern Piedmont of NC, Hurricane Hugo is still a lingering memory. Hope all my coastal and southeastern peeps stay safe.

smithtg
08-25-2011, 11:24 AM
someone above said "irene will be no katrina" wait until the whole east coast doesnt have power, then we will see

oyarde
08-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Well , projections now look like Outer Banks on Sat , Long Island on Sunday , maybe ten inches of rain in New York , 65 mph winds & flooding .

flightlesskiwi
08-25-2011, 11:33 AM
the storm surge is going to be the major factor. and the densely populated areas that Irene is going to effect isn't going to help matters.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/article.html

Irene's storm surge may flood New York City's subway system
The floodwalls protecting Manhattan are only five feet above mean sea level. During the December 12, 1992 Nor'easter, powerful winds from the 990 mb storm drove an 8-foot storm surge into the Battery Park on the south end of Manhattan. The ocean poured over the city's seawall for several hours, flooding the NYC subway and the Port Authority Trans-Hudson Corporation (PATH) train systems in Hoboken New Jersey. FDR Drive in lower Manhattan was flooded with 4 feet of water, which stranded more than 50 cars and required scuba divers to rescue some of the drivers. Mass transit between New Jersey and New York was down for ten days, and the storm did hundreds of millions in damage to the city. Tropical Storm Floyd of 1999 generated a storm surge just over 3 feet at the Battery, but the surge came at low tide, and did not flood Manhattan. The highest water level recorded at the Battery in the past century came in September 1960 during Hurricane Donna, which brought a storm surge of 8.36 feet to the Battery and flooded lower Manhattan to West and Cortland Streets. However, the highest storm surge on record in New York City occurred during the September 3, 1821 hurricane, the only hurricane ever to make a direct hit on the city. The water rose 13 feet in just one hour at the Battery, and flooded lower Manhattan as far north as Canal Street, an area that now has the nation's financial center. The total surge is unknown from this greatest New York City hurricane, which was probably a Category 2 storm with 110 mph winds. NOAA's SLOSH model predicts that a mid-strength Category 2 hurricane with 100-mph winds could drive a 15 - 20 foot storm surge to Manhattan, Queens, Kings, and up the Hudson River. JFK airport could be swamped, southern Manhattan would flood north to Canal Street, and a surge traveling westwards down Long Island Sound might breach the sea walls that protect La Guardia Airport. Many of the power plants that supply the city with electricity might be knocked out, or their docks to supply them with fuel destroyed. The more likely case of a Category 1 hurricane hitting at high tide would still be plenty dangerous, with waters reaching 8 - 12 feet above ground level in Lower Manhattan. Given the spread in the models, I predict a 20% chance that New York City will experience a storm surge in excess of 8 feet that will over-top the flood walls in Manhattan and flood the subway system. This would most likely occur near 8 pm Sunday night, when high tide will occur and Irene should be near its point of closest approach. Such a storm surge could occur even if Irene weakens to a tropical storm on its closest approach to New York City.

sluggo
08-25-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm on the NC coast. Got peanut butter and a flashlight.

I'm ready.

flightlesskiwi
08-25-2011, 12:00 PM

I'm ready.

LOL!!! :) (of course i'd say you're doing better than most)

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Looks like it is projected to pass over us which is not the first and will not be the last. Bring it nature!

smithtg
08-25-2011, 12:33 PM
i lived on the TX gulf coast and had someone tell me this when I moved there when asked if evacuation was worth it he said " you have a choice, but can only make the wrong choice once"

Protecting property is important, but so is protecting your life. Shit like this brings stupidity out of alot of people, but when 50 million people are out of electric come monday, it aint going to be pretty to be hanging around those big cities.

ds21089
08-25-2011, 12:38 PM
I have a really bad feeling about all of this. Not from the hurricane itself, but I fear it will be used as an excuse as to why nuclear reactors "were damaged" in the area. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

specsaregood
08-25-2011, 12:39 PM
[QUOTE=PastaRocket848;3497961
i remember during charlie i was out on the pier (on my motorcycle none the less) having a hell of a time playing around in the storm. when i got home and watched the news i could understand why my family had been calling so much: CNN made it look like the apocalypse.
[/QUOTE]

Hah, I went body surfing in the waves a little bit before charlie hit, then went home and worked on making some beaded curtains during the rest and I was only like 10miles away from it. The one after it was worse, cuz it was bigger. Ended up witha downed powerline and no electricity for 2 weeks.

phill4paul
08-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Any criticism, ideas, support for this idea? http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?311829-A-plan-for-Hurricane-Irene-and-individual-responsibility-sans-federal-government.

specsaregood
08-25-2011, 12:44 PM

Hah, I went body surfing in the waves a little bit before charlie hit, then went home and worked on making some beaded curtains during the rest and I was only like 10miles away from it. The one after it was worse, cuz it was bigger. Ended up witha downed powerline and no electricity for 2 weeks.

VBRonPaulFan
08-25-2011, 01:16 PM
i'm glad this thing is going to finally put out the dismal swamp fires that have been going on for a while. kind of concerned about damage to my house because of the wind and fallen tree limbs though.

kahless
08-25-2011, 02:17 PM
I have a really bad feeling about all of this. Not from the hurricane itself, but I fear it will be used as an excuse as to why nuclear reactors "were damaged" in the area. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

Not sure what you are saying? Are you saying people will say they are damaged when they are not?

The thing is some nuclear energy companies are notorious for revealing their accidents long after the fact so I believe it will be a valid debate. Saying people will make false claims is part of the nuclear power industry and their supporters narrative in case there is actual problems in order to cover themselves.

It would not surprise me there will be a debate after a Hurricane with the government and operator claiming no issues. Then 6 months from now it is revealed there was damage. For example the plant by me spent fuel pools have had problems leaking into the ground water contaminating an area underground the size of Manhattan. It leaked for years into the Hudson River also. Last year they accidentally released 600,000 gallons of radioactive steam across the Hudson Valley north of NYC exposing millions of people. These incidents were reported long after the fact and buried in the MSM to protect the industry. Just look up Yankee or Entergy and you will find similar incidents at different plants with these operators.

Carole
08-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Nah, it will be good for the economy. :D:D

Aratus
08-25-2011, 02:45 PM
the governors of N.C + V.A have declared their states to be disaster areas before the storm hits!

asurfaholic
08-25-2011, 02:48 PM

I'm ready.

SAME

+surfboard = awesomeness

Sarge
08-25-2011, 02:51 PM
I await to see the comments one week from now. I have bad vibes about this one. Those that wait too long are going to wish they had paid attention.

Some things to think about.

No electricity, food rotting in the fridge. Do you have large plastic bags to get it out before it stinks beyond belief. Have you cooked some of that food to use if you plan to stay. How will you keep it cold with no electricity? Storm surge with a new moon and higher tides? Water to wash down the sticky peanut butter? Are you going to fill your tubs with water to flush your toilets on the 32nd floor in NY? One tornado or 100 might happen. Do you plan on taking a subway during the storm surge? How to keep cool in a high rise with no electricity. Windows blowing out all over NY etc. Glass shards sailing through the air. Any candles or flashlights for two weeks? What are you going to eat? Can you open cans without electricity? Kids and pets supplies.

Gas pumps don't work without electricity. Nor do ATM's and cash registers. WHOA.

Just saying, pay attention, think wise and plan wise. None of this might not happen but, if it does happen, and you are involved, you will wish you had given some thought to plans.

Stay safe.

Todd
08-25-2011, 02:52 PM

I'm ready.

Have lots and lots of milk and clean water to wash it down with.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-25-2011, 03:20 PM
the governors of N.C + V.A have declared their states to be disaster areas before the storm hits!
Don't forget about NJ, the eye of the storm is going to fly over my county!

sluggo
08-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Don't forget about NJ, the eye of the storm is going to fly over my county!

Watch out for flying guidos!

muh_roads
08-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Hopefully it takes out a ton of old people on the government tit. Whenever I think of Florida I visualize those rich old people in the Stossel video loving their medicare that receives 3x more than paid in.

Florida scares me in terms of Paul's chances.

tangent4ronpaul
08-25-2011, 04:33 PM
someone above said "irene will be no katrina" wait until the whole east coast doesnt have power, then we will see

I predict these forums will be quieter this next 7 days or so...

PreDeadMan
08-25-2011, 04:42 PM
I live on Long island consequently on Sunday is my band's first show we're playing at a cancer benefit I hope it's still on lol. We probably wont be seeing that many people out in a hurricaine crap just our luck lol

tangent4ronpaul
08-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Nah, it will be good for the economy. :D:D

Actually - in the bill to raise the debt limit they have written in there that they can spend an extra trillion a year in case of natural disasters. Expect Obama to go on a spending spree after this.

tangent4ronpaul
08-25-2011, 04:43 PM
I live on Long island consequently on Sunday is my band's first show we're playing at a cancer benefit I hope it's still on lol. We probably wont be seeing that many people out in a hurricaine crap just our luck lol

Hope you are an acoustic band :)

Acala
08-25-2011, 04:45 PM
This might come to be known as Hurrican Black Swan

flightlesskiwi
08-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Have lots and lots of milk and clean water to wash it down with.

milk when the power goes out after about a day or so = bad. true story.

asurfaholic
08-25-2011, 05:41 PM
what the heck is everyone so worried about? Ive been through several cat 2 and 3 hurricanes. Its just a big windy storm. And I lived oceanfront in Surf City, NC during Fran, and the other bunch of hurricanes in a several year period. Just keep batteries, fill your bathtubs up with COLD water, go get some bottled water for drinking, have bread and other non perishable foods around. Stay away from windows during the gusty parts. Go outside during the eye and enjoy the absolutely fascinating experience while it lasts. Only leave outside what you don't mind losing. Keep your important papers near you, and take pictures of your valuable property / items and keep that stuff updated. If you live in a flood prone area, get out and go to higher ground.

sluggo
08-25-2011, 05:46 PM
what the heck is everyone so worried about? Ive been through several cat 2 and 3 hurricanes. Its just a big windy storm. And I lived oceanfront in Surf City, NC during Fran, and the other bunch of hurricanes in a several year period. Just keep batteries, fill your bathtubs up with COLD water, go get some bottled water for drinking, have bread and other non perishable foods around. Stay away from windows during the gusty parts. Go outside during the eye and enjoy the absolutely fascinating experience while it lasts. Only leave outside what you don't mind losing. Keep your important papers near you, and take pictures of your valuable property / items and keep that stuff updated. If you live in a flood prone area, get out and go to higher ground.

I lived about 100 miles inland during Fran. Worst hurricane (well, other than Floyd) I ever had to deal with.

I lived in the boonies, so power was out for three weeks. It sucked at first, but you adjust pretty quickly. The most frustrating part was I couldn't get out of town, becaise all the roads were either blocked by fallen trees or under three feet of water.

This one.....I don't know. Whatever you do, don't watch the Weather Channel.

Vessol
08-25-2011, 06:17 PM
I live in the direct path of Irene(a few miles away from Cateret County, which is under mandatory evacuation now).

Spent most of my day at work helping get ready for the storm; putting trash bins away, securing windows and signs, etc.

Not too worried about any lack of food, already have a few months worth of food stored up and a couple weeks worth of water.

tangent4ronpaul
08-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Irene is 'once in a generation storm'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14673316

smithtg
08-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Actually - in the bill to raise the debt limit they have written in there that they can spend an extra trillion a year in case of natural disasters. Expect Obama to go on a spending spree after this.

Teleprompter says.... "We will have to rebuild, that is why I am asking for emergency funding for this disaster"

its already being prepared rest assured

Revolution9
08-25-2011, 07:12 PM
milk when the power goes out after about a day or so = bad. true story.

Unless you put a silver dollar in it.

HTH
Rev9

TruckinMike
08-25-2011, 09:39 PM
milk when the power goes out after about a day or so = bad. true story. Not if its still in the cow.

TMike:D