PDA

View Full Version : Moneybomb Contest (for bragging rights)

ammorris
08-22-2011, 07:59 PM
It seems to me that our moneybombs are becoming a bit routine, so while I was pooping today I was brainstorming ways to add a twist to the concept and maybe get people excited again. I don't know if anyone has suggested something like this before, but what if we held a contest to see which state could donate the most on the moneybomb day? It wouldn't have to be very complicated, but it would require some cooperation with the campaign to track donations by state as they come in. Someone could even maintain a ticker for each state at another website, if the campaign relayed the information. I see two potential advantages to this:

1) The competition inspires everyone to dig a bit deeper, as they see donations coming in from other states in real time.

2) Everyone is more inspired to promote the bomb locally instead of only online. We might get some new donors out of this, and a chance to talk to friends and family about Ron Paul.

The challenge would be the technical aspect (this isn't my area of expertise, at all). Would it be feasible to maintain a real-time ticker for each state? I'm wondering whether it is doable on the campaign's end.

Thoughts? Good idea, or terrible idea?

lucky_bg
08-22-2011, 09:48 PM
How about just trying to invite as much people as possible to some event, like this one below let's say. We have many similar planed in coming months, and we will need all the time we can spare to make all of them succesfull. ;)

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=166449466757113

Sjmfury
08-24-2011, 06:51 PM
I have a feeling that people who live in places where the average income is higher will receive more donations. Florida is fucked.

Gage
08-24-2011, 10:06 PM
so while I was pooping today

lol

kah13176
08-24-2011, 10:14 PM
It should be a contest for highest average donation per capita, else California/Florida/New York will win every time.

Paul4Prez
08-24-2011, 10:52 PM
How about just the most donors per capita for the names reported on the ticker? Any way to capture that?

FriedChicken
09-04-2011, 06:41 AM
This idea is extremely similar to an idea I had earlier this year.
I contacted the campaign about it and they said they were planning something like it, didn't need help and thanks for the suggestion - however I haven't seen them move forward on it yet and I DO think that this would help bring in more money.

If you would like I can contact the campaign about this one more time (I don't want to email them anymore than I need to) and remind them of the idea.
I think an idea like this will work best if everybody knows upfront about the contest (not just sprung on us) that we can plan accordingly ... so if the campaign is going to do it than they need to get it worked out and announced now.

The best way to keep score, in m opinion, is the percentage of population who donated.

FriedChicken
09-04-2011, 06:45 AM
How about just the most donors per capita for the names reported on the ticker? Any way to capture that?
I misunderstood this at first but now I see what you're saying.
It wouldn't be 100% accurate this way because many people might opt not to be shown on the clicker and it wouldn't track mailed in donations but this would be the only way for us to setup a contest like this without working directly with the campaign.

Maybe no 100% accurate but definitely close enough.
If there is an easy way to track it that won't involve a supporter staring at the computer all day than I think this might be the best we can do.