PDA

View Full Version : Mission Impossible: Electoral College

Sjmfury
08-22-2011, 06:55 PM
I refuse to believe that the people have any say in who is president as long as an electoral college stays in place.

Thoughts?

brushfire
08-22-2011, 07:06 PM
The electoral college has a significant role in our election cycle. It prevents the higher populous areas from ruling over the less populous areas.

A good example of what you have without the electoral college is a situation where Chicago/Cook County rules over the entire state of IL.

I am more concerned about the 2 party system, the media being in bed with the establishment, and the apathy of the American public.

muh_roads
08-22-2011, 07:10 PM
A good example of what you have without the electoral college is a situation where Chicago/Cook County rules over the entire state of IL.

But a caucus state is the only time this example works. Primaries are all or nothing anyway. So highly dense areas screw over everyone else.

Zippyjuan
08-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Caucuses only measure the intensity of supporters- they rarely represent the views of the overall population. You could certainly have primaries where the delegates are alloted based on the percent of voters each candidate gets- not all are winner take all. A caucus can also be set up as a winner take all. Nevada is considering this.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Without the electoral college, California would decide the president every election! The way I see it is that each state collectively votes for president.

Zippyjuan
08-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Without the electoral college, California would decide the president every election! The way I see it is that each state collectively votes for president.

Without the Electoral College, the winner would be based simply on total popular vote- California is big, but not big enough to determine the popular vote of the entire country.

Sjmfury
08-22-2011, 07:38 PM
What you fail to see though is that "electoral college voters" actually decide the election. Whether or not their "area" voted on a candidate they can still vote for SOMEONE ELSE against what the people said.

cindy25
08-22-2011, 08:08 PM
the electoral college does favor smaller states (Wyoming, Vermont get 3 votes for 1 congressional district because senators are counted)

TheTyke
08-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Also, do you realize the PEOPLE elect the electors? At least in Kentucky, the Republican and Democrat conventions elect them. Perhaps we should spend less time trying to remove mechanisms our country has for a reason, and more time learning the process and determining who the electors are.

YumYum
08-22-2011, 08:40 PM
I refuse to believe that people have any say in who will be president as long as the fishes at the top stay in control and we continue to vote with electronic voting machines made in another country. Like Alex Jones said, "Ron needs a landslide to win."

CaptainAmerica
08-22-2011, 08:50 PM
I refuse to believe that the people have any say in who is president as long as an electoral college stays in place.

Thoughts?
I am unsure at this moment because of what I witnessed at the Arizona state GOP convention.
1.Ron Paul delegates were ready to nominate other Ron Paul delegates
2.the large convention had state GOP politicians manipulating the political atmosphere with false prayers about "God" and war
3.the sheriffs were present all around
4.there were people handing out lists of blacked out (literally marked out names) names so that the McCain delegates would be voted in
5.every 5 minutes a new list was printed and handed out to the hundreds of people who attented (while the vote was taking place)
6.there were at least 5 versions of the blacklist and all Ron Paul delegates were blackedout
7.How is that legal?

Another event was a District 4 (AZ) committee chairmen election
1.all Ron Paul precinct committeemen were present to nominate their own chairman
2.once the voting began the established chairman(a mccain voter) knew that he was about to defeated in the chairman election of D4
3.How did the chairman know he was about to be defeated in a vote to remain chairman of the District 4 comittee?
4.Sheriffs ushered everyone outside and shut the lights off and ended the voting before a vote result could be established
5.Said chairman remained in power over District 4

So with that kind of knowledge ,how will anything be different this time around? I am not sure.The status quo establishment is centralized from local GOP districts all the way up to Washington D.C. and they have been established for 10 years and more. Some of them have been there since Reagan and they know who is who and create lists.

musicmax
08-22-2011, 09:20 PM
What you fail to see though is that "electoral college voters" actually decide the election. Whether or not their "area" voted on a candidate they can still vote for SOMEONE ELSE against what the people said.

Yeah and the last three times an elector voted for SOMEONE ELSE they voted for Bentsen over Dukakis, Reagan over Ford, and the Libertarian ticket over Nixon/Agnew. Pretty good moves I'd say.

belian78
08-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Also, do you realize the PEOPLE elect the electors? At least in Kentucky, the Republican and Democrat conventions elect them. Perhaps we should spend less time trying to remove mechanisms our country has for a reason, and more time learning the process and determining who the electors are.

+rep