PDA

View Full Version : Futile?

theguyver
11-03-2007, 07:16 PM
I don’t know about you guys, but I find talking to people about Ron Paul a very disheartening and frustrating experience.

When I read about PR's ideas I liked them immediately, it made so much sense!
However, I've yet to get a positive reaction on Ron Paul's ideas from anyone. After explaining RP’s ideas here are the responses I get:

- This is how things work and they can’t change.
- That's an utopia.
- Americans are addicted to being babysitted by the government. Nobody will vote for him.
- America has had a war based economy for a century and it's not going to change.
- Most Americans feel it's the US job to "bring peace" to other countries. Nobody will vote for him.
- The corrupted system we have today benefits way too many people and they will do everything in their power to make sure RP fails. He's not going anywhere.
- RP talks about the flaws of American monetary system and American foreign policies. Nobody will vote for him because Americans think America is perfect and anyone who talks bad about it is unpatriotic.

Then there are the one-issue morons:
- I can't vote for someone who accepts gay marriages.
- I can't vote for someone who isn't pro-choice regarding abortion.
- I can't vote for someone who won't give universal health care.

And this one takes the cake:
- Great ideas but I'm a democrat and could never vote republican.

I’m losing hope :(

klamath
11-03-2007, 07:40 PM
You haven't been following these forums long or you wouldn't have posted this on your first post. You better have a thick skin.

Roxi
11-03-2007, 08:22 PM
keep talking. research those points of view, ask for advice here. i talk to lots of people all the time that immediately say "WHOA hes got my vote!"

jmarinara
11-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Don't take it to heart, you can only try to convert people. The duty is ours, the results are God's. You're doing your job, take pride in that.

Bryan
11-03-2007, 08:54 PM
So are they getting this idea from you that RP is pro-choice, cause, he's, uh, NOT!!!!!!!

Ron Paul on abortion from his own site (http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/life-and-liberty/).
The OP is saying that they won't vote for him unless he is pro-choice. These voters aren't interested in the president following their oath to uphold the Constitution and keep the federal government out of the issue.

theguyver
11-03-2007, 09:11 PM
So are they getting this idea from you that RP is pro-choice, cause, he's, uh, NOT!!!!!!!
He's pro-life and some people don't like that (feminazis comes to mind).

Also, don't take it to heart, you can only try to convert people. The duty is ours, the results are God's. You're doing your job, take pride in that.
Thank you. I do feel like I'm doing this country a service, but today was one of those days when I wondered if people are really that stupid. Maybe I'm the idiot because I really thought that "with RP you won't have to pay the IRS anymore" would be enough to convert anyone... apparently not.

Reasons are no match against emotions.

jmarinara
11-03-2007, 09:11 PM
The OP is saying that they won't vote for him unless he is pro-choice. These voters aren't interested in the president following their oath to uphold the Constitution and keep the federal government out of the issue.

Dude, my bad. I am so, so, sorry. I must be tired after work or something, I completely mis read that sentence.

I'll edit my post to just the encouragement part and PM the original poster an apology.

I feel like an idiot.

inibo
11-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Come on you guys, you are being way too nice. I was expecting to see blood in the water by now. :D

BTW, Welcome, theguyver. Keep plugging away. The low-hanging fruit has already been picked. Perseverance and determination will win in the end.

bbachtung
11-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Come on you guys, you are being way too nice. I was expecting to see blood in the water by now. :D

BTW, Welcome, theguyver. Keep plugging away. The low-hanging fruit has already been picked. Perseverance and determination will win in the end.

Everybody's still so giddy from the switchback in Philly . . .

beerista
11-03-2007, 11:09 PM
I don’t know about you guys, but I find talking to people about Ron Paul a very disheartening and frustrating experience.
Don't worry about it. Keep plugging away. For many (don't know about you), this is their first time trying to proselytize. It takes practice to get comfortable.

When I read about PR's ideas I liked them immediately, it made so much sense! However, I've yet to get a positive reaction on Ron Paul's ideas from anyone.
Maybe you need a Certs? :D

After explaining RP’s ideas here are the responses I get:
- This is how things work and they can’t change.
Wrong on it's face. Dr. Paul wants things in some sense to return to a better time. Obviously, in many important ways, things have changed already. To say that things can't change is obviously wrong or they wouldn't have changed as much as they have to get as bad as they are.

- That's an utopia.
I always find this one pretty funny. One of the ways that things have changed is that policy for decades now has been chasing utopia. Freedom is messy and it's far from perfect. If it weren't people would leave it alone rather than trying to institute utopian schemes: socialized health care, Social Security, mucking about in other people's back yards without any negative consequences like blowback. Belief in utopia and a distrust of freedom is largely what got us here. Feel free to laugh when people tell you this.

- Americans are addicted to being babysitted by the government. Nobody will vote for him.
Why would an adult who can presumably make her own decisions let who others will vote for determine who she will vote for? Will YOU vote for him?

- America has had a war based economy for a century and it's not going to change.
Economies change all the time, daily in fact, to respond to market forces. Fewer wars equals more people producing things that don't go boom. It ain't complicated.

- Most Americans feel it's the US job to "bring peace" to other countries. Nobody will vote for him.
Two separate issues. Again, why do you care who others will vote for? As for bringing peace and democracy and rainbows and puppies to other countries, how's that working out for us (or for them, for that matter)? We've had much greater success and much more practice in propping up dictators than in bringing peace. If we left the rest of the world alone militarily, at least we could call it a wash and protect our own borders.

- The corrupted system we have today benefits way too many people and they will do everything in their power to make sure RP fails. He's not going anywhere.
Again, who cares? Man, don't the people you talk to have minds or consciences of their own? Vote for whom you agree with. Let things beyond your control be just that.

- RP talks about the flaws of American monetary system and American foreign policies. Nobody will vote for him because Americans think America is perfect and anyone who talks bad about it is unpatriotic.
Are you keeping your presentation positive? Why do the people you're trying to educate keep focusing on the potential success or failure of a Ron Paul candidacy instead of the issues and whether they agree with him? Change the focus of your pitch.

Then there are the one-issue morons:
- I can't vote for someone who accepts gay marriages.
- I can't vote for someone who isn't pro-choice regarding abortion.
- I can't vote for someone who won't give universal health care.
These are all primarily issues of federalism versus having one central planning authority. Each of these can currently be sanctioned or banned at the federal level, given our current level of regard for the constitution and the system of federalism. If these single-issue voters really want to make others conform to their views, try convincing them that they stand a better chance of doing so at the state level, where government is more responsive to the will of the people. But, single issue voters are tough; they usually want to force as many people as possible to accept their point of view and don't like to accept the messy diversity that would exist between the states if federalism were taken seriously.

And this one takes the cake:
- Great ideas but I'm a democrat and could never vote republican.
Partisan voters are about as tough to crack as single issue voters. Don't attack their party and don't get into a "well maybe my party did that, but your party did that" argument; it's a no win. Just try to gently remind them that what is true generally is all the more true this time around: if they vote for the front runners in either party, they'll get pretty much the same thing. There is very little real choice and they owe it to themselves to vote for the candidate they most trust and agree with. If you can't convince them that that candidate is Ron Paul by election day, then they should vote for someone else. If you can, then they should rise above team loyalty.
Hey, you ain't gonna convert everyone. From your list, it sounds like a lot of your friends and coworkers are pretty confused and set in their ways. Unfortunately, even confused people often vote, and you see where that's gotten us. So keep at it and...

I’m losing hope :(
...don't lose hope. It might help if you update us on the successes as well as the disheartening times.
Good luck.

Corydoras
11-04-2007, 12:50 AM
I suspect you are trying to present a smorgasord of his opinions. Don't overwhelm them with a program-- then they'll think that if they find one part they disagree with, they can write him off totally.

Instead, try to find out what your listeners care about where they might agree with Ron Paul, and approach that angle tailored to them.