PDA

View Full Version : Is Ron Paul more popular than it seems? (based on my observations on 2 sports forums)

nbhadja
08-22-2011, 12:44 AM
I am a big gator fan and I post on gatorcountry.com a lot and I just decided to go on a alabama crimson tide message board and tennessee volunteer message board .

1. On the Gator site a few years ago no one knew who Ron Paul was and they barely voted for him (so they seemed to properly represent the mainstream), but eventually after a while there are now a shocking amount of Ron Paul supporters on the forum from out of nowhere. These new Ron Paul supporters are the same posters from a few years ago who did not know who RP was. I can't think of a reason why a Gator fan base would be so different than the mainstream and they sure were mainstream back in 07 when they barely knew who Ron Paul was. There are also a lot of "neo cons" on that message board. Maybe the Gator board is still mainstream?

Here is a straw poll on the website: Ron Paul comes in 2nd 28.4% of the vote to Rick Perry by a hair (31% of the vote). The next closest is Mitt Romney at 12%.

http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/showthread.php?t=203922

Though one thing to note is that I bet most of the people on both forums are men, and last election fewer women voted for RP then men in the republican primary I believe.

2. Here is the alabama forum; http://www.tidefans.com/forums/non-sports/143123-ron-paul-president.html

Of the 10 or so people who posted on the thread, 6 of them say Ron Paul has their vote and 1 questions why Fox seems to ignore RP so much. This board is probably also neocon...

This could be completely meaningless, or completely relevant. Personally I feel the gatorcountry message board represents the mainstream pretty well. There aren't many libertarian/conspiracy/ etc types on there yet quite a few are supporting Ron Paul.

3. Here is a university of tennessee message board that has HUGE traffic- I am talking about Ronpaulforums type traffic.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/politics/133233-ron-paul-president-2012-a.html

At the last page apparently several members even donated to the Ron Paul campaign.

In the politics section there is a pretty big thread for Ron Paul called "Ron Paul for President 2012" with 143 posts. Most of the posts in there are very positive about Ron Paul. I have not seen any Bachman/Perry/Romney for President 2012 on there and even if there are some, this is one of the biggest threads on there.

CaptainAmerica
08-22-2011, 12:47 AM
No doubt about it. I have people coming up to me all the time that I talked to in 2007 about Ron Paul. At the time they had no idea what to think when I said the markets were going to crash and when I talked about Ron Paul , silver/gold and many other related topics. This year I have had them come up to me and tell they are fanatics about Ron Paul now. They tell me I was right, and that Ron Paul was good and they worry alot and want to know what to do to help Ron Paul win.