PDA

View Full Version : Perry vs. Paul: 2 very different Texans want same job

sailingaway
08-21-2011, 11:43 PM
http://www.chron.com/news/politics/article/Perry-vs-Paul-2-very-different-Texans-want-same-2135164.php

WASHINGTON - While Texas' tough-talking governor soaks up the media spotlight, it's the cerebral Ron Paul who plugs away as the outsiders' outsider in the 2012 presidential campaign.

The 75-year-old congressman from Lake Jackson with the message of less government and more liberty has quietly built the largest grass-roots network in the Republican field, far larger than the team thus far assembled by his home state's governor.

And it was the libertarian and third-time presidential contender who finished just 1 percentage point behind winner Michele Bachmann in Iowa's Republican straw poll....

pacodever
08-21-2011, 11:51 PM
"I don't think many people listen to Ron Paul outside the libertarian fringe," said George C. Edwards III, a political science professor at Texas A&M University.

Presidential scholars say Perry's best strategy would be to avoid engaging with Paul. The reason: he risks a confrontation that would elevate Paul to the top-tier stature Perry now has and could provoke a YouTube moment that Perry later regrets.

"Perry should ignore him," advised Merle Black, a political scientist from Emory University.

Seems like more of the same from a MSM candidate...

Pheonix
08-21-2011, 11:56 PM
"I don't think many people listen to Ron Paul outside the libertarian fringe," said George C. Edwards III, a political science professor at Texas A&M University.

Presidential scholars say Perry's best strategy would be to avoid engaging with Paul. The reason: he risks a confrontation that would elevate Paul to the top-tier stature Perry now has and could provoke a YouTube moment that Perry later regrets.

"Perry should ignore him," advised Merle Black, a political scientist from Emory University.

This would actually be a good strategy. Have RP challenge Romney or Perry in the debates and watch him garner media attention. His exchange with the non-candidate Santorum wasn't good enough for the campaign. Taking on the big fish is what we need to get into the top tier.

pacodever
08-22-2011, 12:12 AM
This would actually be a good strategy. Have RP challenge Romney or Perry in the debates and watch him garner media attention. His exchange with the non-candidate Santorum wasn't good enough for the campaign. Taking on the big fish is what we need to get into the top tier.

I personally enjoyed RP taking Santorum to school, but it could be perceived as banter between two fringe candidates. I still think RPs strength is the Liberty message and that is his best selling point for me... But, I would love to see RP take Romney and Perry to task on the issues. Romney and Perry would look ridiculous defending their records and revealing their hypocrisy and broadening the appeal for RPs integrity.

sailingaway
08-22-2011, 12:15 AM
I personally enjoyed RP taking Santorum to school, but it could be perceived as banter between two fringe candidates. I still think RPs strength is the Liberty message and that is his best selling point for me... But, I would love to see RP take Romney and Perry to task on the issues. Romney and Perry would look ridiculous defending their records and revealing their hypocrisy and broadening the appeal for RPs integrity.

It was hardly between two fringe candidates, it was the fringe candidate, Santorum, going for the big fish Ron Paul to get more attention. Ron's going after Perry would also be going after the currently bigger fish, which is what one does. However, the main thing is that Ron has Perry's number. Perry is ignoring Ron because he can't hope to match him, not because he's above the fray.

pacodever
08-22-2011, 12:27 AM
could be perceived

"could be intentionally misconstrued," rather

Still, should the RPs strategy be to target the next "big fish" Perry/Romney/Bachman or Obama? Or continue to fight them all together as established status quo?