PDA

View Full Version : Technology Person Volutneering... How Can I Help?

LinuxJedi
08-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Hi,

I have been reading a couple threads on this forum which suggest the need for a tech-savvy person to help out. I think that I can be this person, Ron Paul has awoken the long-dormant patriot within me, and I intend to give one or two days a week full-time to the campaign to help out. My background is in computer science, and I have started my own company (with a few others) which consumes the rest of my time.

I'll give a quick summary of my skills, and then mention some particular items where I can really help:

Linux user since 1999, years of sysadmin experience
Adequate DBA, I can do it, but there are a lot of people much better at it than me
Extensive experience with the open source community
C++ / Python / C / XML / XSLT ... lots of experience in these
Semantic Web stuff... more on this later :-)
A small amount of Django... but web-stuff is not my cup of tea, I like back-end system stuff
Years of experience in writing software :-)

A few people have mentioned email lists as an issue... there are much better ways to do this than Excel :-) I would humbly suggest something like mailman if you want just mailing lists, and this can be configured very quickly. But let's talk about what exactly needs to get done, because I might have a suggestion for a better way to do it based on my own experience.

Someone was mentioning looking at FEC data for past donors, I've been playing with the data a bit... loaded it into a database and poked around. We can do lots of very interesting things with that data, and might be able to do some statistics to determine the probability of someone donating again based on the 2008 run, and what they have done to date.

I am working on a special project for the grassroots... I will write more details on that later as it comes together :-)

Please feel free to suggest jobs for me to do as a response to this thread, and I'll follow it. Also, you can always reach me on Freenode in #ronpaul :-)

Also... it might help to really organize things if the grassroots was to use project management software such as redmine... it's important in open source projects, and likely important here: www.redmine.org -- just to see what needs done, who says they are doing it, and where things are at :-)

I hope to help the R3VOLUTION in any way I can... let's win this thing.

TexMac
08-21-2011, 10:36 PM
A LinuxJedi!!! I don't know what exactly is needed, but I'm bumping this thread. Welcome to the forum.

sailingaway
08-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Welcome to the forums!!

For now, I'll just bump this. But I'm sure you'll be getting all the requests you can handle!

CaptainAmerica
08-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Hi,

I have been reading a couple threads on this forum which suggest the need for a tech-savvy person to help out. I think that I can be this person, Ron Paul has awoken the long-dormant patriot within me, and I intend to give one or two days a week full-time to the campaign to help out. My background is in computer science, and I have started my own company (with a few others) which consumes the rest of my time.

I'll give a quick summary of my skills, and then mention some particular items where I can really help:

Linux user since 1999, years of sysadmin experience
Adequate DBA, I can do it, but there are a lot of people much better at it than me
Extensive experience with the open source community
C++ / Python / C / XML / XSLT ... lots of experience in these
Semantic Web stuff... more on this later :-)
A small amount of Django... but web-stuff is not my cup of tea, I like back-end system stuff
Years of experience in writing software :-)

A few people have mentioned email lists as an issue... there are much better ways to do this than Excel :-) I would humbly suggest something like mailman if you want just mailing lists, and this can be configured very quickly. But let's talk about what exactly needs to get done, because I might have a suggestion for a better way to do it based on my own experience.

Someone was mentioning looking at FEC data for past donors, I've been playing with the data a bit... loaded it into a database and poked around. We can do lots of very interesting things with that data, and might be able to do some statistics to determine the probability of someone donating again based on the 2008 run, and what they have done to date.

I am working on a special project for the grassroots... I will write more details on that later as it comes together :-)

Please feel free to suggest jobs for me to do as a response to this thread, and I'll follow it. Also, you can always reach me on Freenode in #ronpaul :-)

Also... it might help to really organize things if the grassroots was to use project management software such as redmine... it's important in open source projects, and likely important here: www.redmine.org -- just to see what needs done, who says they are doing it, and where things are at :-)

I hope to help the R3VOLUTION in any way I can... let's win this thing.
Slutter McGee needs your help! He is assembling a list of emails to create a mass advertisement for the moneybomb events and I think he asked for someone who knows CSS and HTML

Pheonix
08-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Welcome to the forums and thank you for your willingness to offer your skills! Can you tell us of the feasibility/efficacy of creating a script that allows us to contact all the users that have "liked" Ron Paul's facebook page? This was done back in 2007 with some success by a user who discontinued his involvement in the forums. Do you know if this would be worth pursuing for our future moneybombs?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?30702-!!URGENT!!-Make-Ron-Paul-1-000-in-10-seconds!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?48636-TELL-50-000-PEOPLE-ON-FACEBOOK-ABOUT-THE-TEAPARTY-Help-me!-It-takes-60-seconds!!!!!

JoshLowry
08-22-2011, 01:34 AM
Welcome to the forums!

Here is a project that I was hoping someone would pick up.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?310582-Screenshots-of-the-MSM-s-webpages.-%28Open-Project%29

Lord Xar
08-22-2011, 03:01 AM
.. deleted.

Fatejuggler
08-22-2011, 05:09 AM
I think a very useful tool would be a website that would allow a person to enter an email address and a zip code and then would send out location specific reminders to go vote at the appropriate time. The reminder email would include a Google map link showing the polling place for the person's location along with other pertinent information.

A person doing canvassing could collect emails and zip codes from the people he talks to and enter them, or the URL could be included in web promotions.

Convincing people to support our candidate is only half the battle. Getting them to the polls to vote is just as important but that part of it tends to get less attention. Particularly for young people who may have never voted before, the loss rate due to not knowing when and where to vote must be very high.

Maybe there is something like this already. If so I'd like to know the URL for it.

dusman
08-22-2011, 05:19 AM
I think a very useful tool would be a website that would allow a person to enter an email address and a zip code and then would send out location specific reminders to go vote at the appropriate time. The reminder email would include a Google map link showing the polling place for the person's location along with other pertinent information.

A person doing canvassing could collect emails and zip codes from the people he talks to and enter them, or the URL could be included in web promotions.

Convincing people to support our candidate is only half the battle. Getting them to the polls to vote is just as important but that part of it tends to get less attention. Particularly for young people who may have never voted before, the loss rate due to not knowing when and where to vote must be very high.

Maybe there is something like this already. If so I'd like to know the URL for it.

This is a great idea!