PDA

View Full Version : I was about to buy from the campaign store, but...

realtonygoodwin
08-20-2011, 03:29 PM
I was about to pull the trigger on a pocket Constitution and some Tax Free Tips card...when I saw this!

* Please note a $12 surcharge for shipments to AK and HI will be added during checkout

What is the deal with that? I purchased a couple bumper stickers and a window sign before from the store and there was no $12 surcharge...

trey4sports
08-20-2011, 03:32 PM
its more expensive shipping.

realtonygoodwin
08-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Between now, and a couple months ago?

CaptUSA
08-20-2011, 03:33 PM

Currency devaluation?

Article V
08-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Would you rather Ron Paul lost money by shipping to you? Come on, cough up the extra dough and realize that Ron Paul wouldn't be charging shipping if it wasn't a necessity.

And don't forget that shipping costs for additional items are exceedingly small. It's just the initial cost that's expensive because they send everything UPS.

trey4sports
08-20-2011, 03:54 PM

I'm guessing the $12 surcharge goes into effect when a certain shipping weight is triggered? There is probably a threshold at which the shipping surcharge goes into effect.

djruden
08-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Maybe some states Post Offices are broker than others...

BrendanWenzel
08-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Seems like it would be easy to fit those items in a flat rate USPS envelope that only costs 4.75 to ship country wide including HI

Airborn
08-20-2011, 05:35 PM
they probley paid for the extra shipping last time and put that up after they realized how much for it costs to ship to AK and HI

afwjam
08-20-2011, 05:39 PM
I cant believe your asking, we pay more for everything. Aren't you used to it?

Justinfrom1776
08-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Those items stack up to a decent size bulk.. Making it impossible to ship in a conventional envelope.

Tarzan
08-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Shipping to AK and HI can rack up some serious additional charges... regardless of the carrier.

If you live in AK take some of that money the state gives you and pay the charge.
If you live in HI cough up the extra charge... then go to the beach and surf.

There's no surcharge here in TX... but its 105 and I'm 330 miles from a beach with oil slicks and no waves.

Life is full of trade offs. :)

afwjam
08-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Shipping to AK and HI can rack up some serious additional charges... regardless of the carrier.

If you live in AK take some of that money the state gives you and pay the charge.
If you live in HI cough up the extra charge... then go to the beach and surf.

There's no surcharge here in TX... but its 105 and I'm 330 miles from a beach with oil slicks and no waves.

Life is full of trade offs. :)

lol so true.
I just paid $12 and I think I will go to the beach.

harikaried
08-20-2011, 06:39 PM
There are alternative places to order material, e.g., http://ronpaulproducts.com/ http://ronpauldesigns.com/

ProfNo
08-20-2011, 06:43 PM
There are alternative places to order material, e.g., http://ronpaulproducts.com/ http://ronpauldesigns.com/

The whole point of buying from the campaign is that they get all of the profit, not somebody else. And that is a good thing.

It is a good thing that the items are "overpriced" because that means more money in the pocket of the campaign. You don't buy from them to get the best deal, you buy from them to help Ron Paul.

harikaried
08-20-2011, 06:50 PM
It would probably be more efficient to buy the products from some 3rd parties and donate the savings directly to the campaign. Otherwise the campaign is paying for shipping and items, etc.

ItsTime
08-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Move to New Hampshire, we have a trunk full of free campaign material. You would be surprised how many people as for a bumper sticker or yard sign while pumping gas :D

fearthereaperx
08-20-2011, 06:59 PM
$12 is way too much..I charge only $3.95 shipping.
Special deal today too..

Free wristband with an order of a shirt! http://limitedhangout.bigcartel.com

LibertyBelle22
08-20-2011, 07:01 PM
$12 is way too much..I charge only $3.95 shipping.
Special deal today too..

Free wristband with an order of a shirt! http://limitedhangout.bigcartel.com

As if the official campaign making a profit is a bad thing /s

fearthereaperx
08-20-2011, 07:20 PM
As if the official campaign making a profit is a bad thing /s

You can make a profit without overcharging for things, in fact, you can make more if you implement the right, lower pricing mechanisms. People shouldn't run across the thought of ever canceling an order because of paying $12 for US shipping on a shirt. So, yes, the campaign can be inadvertantly turning people away. Solution. Lowering prices. Equals higher volume. Equals higher profit rate of total net return. Equals more money for the campaign.

specsaregood
08-20-2011, 07:22 PM
I was about to buy from the campaign store, but...they didn't have any clothes for infants/toddlers. :(

ForLibertyFight
08-20-2011, 07:23 PM
If anyone is interested in FREE stuff, let me know!

LibertyEagle
08-20-2011, 07:27 PM
The whole point of buying from the campaign is that they get all of the profit, not somebody else. And that is a good thing.

It is a good thing that the items are "overpriced" because that means more money in the pocket of the campaign. You don't buy from them to get the best deal, you buy from them to help Ron Paul.

I wouldn't count on that. In the last election, the campaign hardly made a dime off of products that were sold. The money goes to the vendor who makes the stuff. The only advantage to the campaign is that they can count the purchases in the total donations for media purposes.

PEnemy
08-20-2011, 07:29 PM
I was about to buy from the campaign store but...

IT CRASHED!!!

BrendanWenzel
08-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Those items stack up to a decent size bulk.. Making it impossible to ship in a conventional envelope.

Yeah, true that. was assuming only 1 of each. we ship longboard wheels and trucks inside one flat rate envelope for $4.75 anywhere in the country.

I wouldn't count on that. In the last election, the campaign hardly made a dime off of products that were sold. The money goes to the vendor who makes the stuff. The only advantage to the campaign is that they can count the purchases in the total donations for media purposes.

And they don't have to pay for them out of general funds to get them all around the country. .

realtonygoodwin
08-20-2011, 08:04 PM
I ordered 9 bucks worth of stuff, and got charged 15 dollars on top of that. So, I canceled my order and just made a smaller donation. No overhead for them.

Tarzan
08-20-2011, 09:42 PM
It would probably be more efficient to buy the products from some 3rd parties and donate the savings directly to the campaign. Otherwise the campaign is paying for shipping and items, etc.

I think this is really good advise. Shop around and find the best price... including shipping. Then, make a donation to the campaign of the difference... or what you can afford. All of your donation can then be used for the campaign rather than paying for the cost of the materials and shipping.

Since ordering from the campaign costs them in materials and shipping... and, your purchase is counted as a donation... it is largely a wash for the campaign. Go free market... do a little math and find the best solution for yourself (and for Ron Paul). :)

sarahdeez
08-20-2011, 09:45 PM
I was going to send something to HI with fedex and it was going to be $50! It was $15 at the PO. Maybe they are using fedex. It does cost a good bit more to ship to those locations either way.

RonPaul101.com
08-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Even worse the store seems to be closed... OPEN THE STORE !!!! FREE MARKETS !!!!

RonPaul101.com
08-20-2011, 09:49 PM
I think this is really good advise. Shop around and find the best price... including shipping. Then, make a donation to the campaign of the difference... or what you can afford. All of your donation can then be used for the campaign rather than paying for the cost of the materials and shipping.

Since ordering from the campaign costs them in materials and shipping... and, your purchase is counted as a donation... it is largely a wash for the campaign. Go free market... do a little math and find the best solution for yourself (and for Ron Paul). :)

That is, ah, how do you say... BULLSHIT. Don't save a few bucks, buy from the store and give the PROFIT to the campaign. They get GREAT profit from your RP2012 store buys !!!

Trust me they know how to profit from making signs and shtuff better than we do. Buy Buy Buy !!!

Tarzan
08-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Well... first try reading this... (plus reading the entirety of my post)

And, no... I don't trust you. My guess is you are not a business owner and have never been involved in fulfillment and supply side procurement and delivery... not just one part of the process... but the entire equation, including the finances.

That is, ah, how do you say... BULLSHIT. Don't save a few bucks, buy from the store and give the PROFIT to the campaign. They get GREAT profit from your RP2012 store buys !!!

Trust me they know how to profit from making signs and shtuff better than we do. Buy Buy Buy !!!

Nobody is trying to feed you bullshit... just the realities involved.
You get to make your own decision on where to purchase. The suggestions on this thread are valid and based on real market conditions and costs. Also, keep in mind that any purchases you make from the campaign store are counted as donations... thus limiting the total amount of any 'standard' donation (without making a purchase) you may wish to make.

There are sites out there trying to just get your money... I would NEVER buy something from zazzle or cafepress. But, there are also sites with very affordable prices who are making very low margins in an effort to get Ron Paul products into supporters hands. Here are a few (apologies if I missed anyone reputable):

Shirts:
http://liberty-shirts.com/index.html
and
http://revolutionapparel.us/

Signs, Bumper Stickers, Shirts and More:
http://www.ronpaulproducts.com/