PDA

View Full Version : Family awarded $330,000 for police killing their dog

devil21
08-19-2011, 03:58 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/chicago-police-must-pay-330k-killing-dog-home-200148841.html

A federal jury says Chicago law enforcement must pay $330,000 to a family after officers shot their dog during a home raid that turned up no illegal activity.

Thomas Russell, then 18, opened the door to his home in February 2009 to find police officers with their guns drawn. He asked if he could lock up his 9-year-old black labrador, named Lady, before letting the officers inside. The Chicago Tribune describes what happened next:

Police refused the request and came into the house, the lawsuit said. When Lady came loping around the corner with her tail wagging, Officer Richard Antonsen shot the dog, according to the suit, which alleged excessive force, false arrest and illegal seizure for taking the dog's life.

The cops handcuffed Russell and his 16-year-old brother, and eventually charged Russell with obstructing their operation. He was found not guilty. According to NBC, the jury awarded $175,000 to Russell, $85,000 to his little brother, and $35,000 each to the brothers' parents. The officer who shot the dog owes $2,000 in damages, and his supervisor owes $1,000, according to NBC.

A law enforcement spokeswoman told the Tribune that the officers were protecting themselves.

DamianTV
08-19-2011, 06:38 PM
bump

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Uh this is stupid. The taxpayers must pay 330,000 for their law enforcement's mistake? The cop(s) involved should be paying the fine, not the city.

HOLLYWOOD
08-19-2011, 06:50 PM
How come criminal charges are not filed on the 2 officers? If it were citizens, they would be arrested and tried in court cruelty to animals.

Where the hell is PETA? snoooze... How come they're not throwing red paint on these tyrants?

Now the taxpayers are stuck with a $330,000 Bill and the 2 police officers that committed the crime are billed $3,000 and no jail time? WTF?

GunnyFreedom
08-19-2011, 06:50 PM
If these awards were taken specifically from the police budget instead of the taxpayer general, it might have a deterrent effect. If nothing else because the police run out of money to go around killing things just to show who's boss. :mad:

DamianTV
08-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Not only that, the police dept would raise its supposedly non-existent quota and place the financial burden on everyone else, and not those that are directly responsible in the first place.

MJU1983
08-19-2011, 06:56 PM
I would have preferred a public caning of the officers and their supervisor + the $3,000 fine.

What do they care that taxpayers have to pay for their fuck-up? Nothing substantive will change...

Krugerrand
08-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Well, I think we've seen at least two towns disband their police departments after they got too expensive from legal expenses such as this. While I don't like seeing the municipalities on the hook - this may be the most pragmatic way to achieve results.

AGRP
08-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Why are cops not held personally responsible for their actions?

I hardly doubt that a supermarket will make the customer pay for damages if a cart boy smashes a cart into their car.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-19-2011, 07:04 PM

I hardly doubt that a supermarket will make the customer pay for damages if a cart boy smashes a cart into their car.

You have no idea how many times that almost happened to me when I had my first job. People don't care at all. T hey can see the carts coming and just walk right in front of it. And I can't stop 25 carts on a whim. I have to dash to the front and stop them. Snobs.

Krugerrand
08-19-2011, 07:07 PM

The cost would be paid by an insurance company. The store's premiums would go up. The store would raise prices where it can to recover the difference. The customers would pay for it.

So, it would be pretty similar to what we see in the OP.

Privatize the profits. Socialize the losses.

CaptainAmerica
08-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Uh this is stupid. The taxpayers must pay 330,000 for their law enforcement's mistake? The cop(s) involved should be paying the fine, not the city.
The cop will be suspended and put on vacation pay too. This is what happens in a statist society.

AGRP
08-19-2011, 07:12 PM
You have no idea how many times that almost happened to me when I had my first job. People don't care at all. T hey can see the carts coming and just walk right in front of it. And I can't stop 25 carts on a whim. I have to dash to the front and stop them. Snobs.

Well, the store (police department/insurance) should pick up the tab if its an accident.

Just because you work for a supermarket (PD), it doesn't doesn't give you permission to go around needlessly ramming carts (killing dogs) and expect someone else to pick up the tab for your blatant idiotic actions.

Krugerrand
08-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Oak Hill Police Department Disbanded
Oak Hill Council Votes To Disband Its Police Department

POSTED: Monday, August 1, 2011
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/28733518/detail.html

Maywood to disband Police Department
Officials say the city lost its insurance partly because of too many claims against its troubled force, which also patrols Cudahy.
June 17, 2010
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/17/local/la-me-maywood-pd-20100617

Think of it as one step closer to disbanding the entire force.

V4Vendetta
08-19-2011, 07:18 PM
unbelievable!!!! Glad the owner got paid - but the cop should have had to sale his house, car, guns, land - and everything else till it equaled the awarded amount!!!!!!!!!!!

erowe1
08-19-2011, 07:20 PM
What kind of dog could possibly be worth that much?

CaptainAmerica
08-19-2011, 07:31 PM
unbelievable!!!! Glad the owner got paid - but the cop should have had to sale his house, car, guns, land - and everything else till it equaled the awarded amount!!!!!!!!!!!

The cop should be sentenced to 3 years of community service and a fine for damages.

amy31416
08-19-2011, 07:31 PM
What kind of dog could possibly be worth that much?

It's not just the dog, it's the fact that their civil liberties were unjustly violated, they terrorized a family and that they destroyed property that can not be replaced.

Pericles
08-19-2011, 07:35 PM
It's not just the dog, it's the fact that their civil liberties were unjustly violated, they terrorized a family and that they destroyed property that can not be replaced.

And it is the only way our legal system can punish the violator of rights - to make an award of money to the violated.

james1906
08-19-2011, 07:56 PM
The cops should have to do a couple years unpaid community service at the local humane society.