PDA

View Full Version : How to go about explaining things to those still sleeping?

Philip Dru: Agorist
08-19-2011, 03:18 PM
In my personal and work life I encounter people who sometimes want to discuss politics and pick my brain about various subjects. Sometimes they just want to vent about a policy, law, or politician and hear a response they can relate to. I assume all of us here know what I am talking about and experience the same thing on a daily basis.

The problem I am encountering more and more is, as I have become better informed about the world and the geopolitical events shaping our society, I have almost lost the ability to overcome what I refer to as an information gap with the average American adult. It's almost as if we are speaking different languages.

For instance, in a recent discussion about the public education system with a new mother contemplating whether or not to send her son to public or private schools, I couldn't help but notice that almost everything I said made her mouth open wider and wider. She was in a state of shock at what I was saying, and not in good way. I could tell by her reaction that she thought me to be crazy, even though everything I was telling her was either documented or uncovered in congressional hearings. She had never heard of anything I was talking about and couldn't conceive of it, so the conversation ended with her looking at me like an alien creature.

On another recent occasion, a discussion with a different co-worker about 9/11 and Osama bin Laden went pretty much the same way. He was absolutely certain the official narrative was correct and any suggestion that a state sponsor or intelligence agency could have been involved was laughed at as if it was the equivalent of believing that Elvis Presley was abducted by little green men. He wouldn't even listen to the evidence I was calmly willing to share.

It's almost like I have to censor myself if I want to have any conversation about nearly any subject at all that deals with the outside world, because nobody is equipped to deal with any reality other than the one they were conditioned to accept by the corporate media and education system. I want to be able to share my views and educate people, but I simply don't know how anymore. It seems I am now so far removed from mainstream thinking that, again, I am speaking and thinking a totally foreign language. Maybe only 1 out of every 20 people I encounter is open-minded enough to at least hear me out without walking away from me in disgust.

Any comments? How do you guys go about bridging this information/worldview gap?

Vessol
08-19-2011, 03:34 PM
The most important thing is to realize that you are not going to wake someone up right away.

It's a process.

I've tried multiple times to show and demonstrate things to many people, all in vain.

However, over time, a few of these people have come back to me and said "You know, you were right when you told me about the economy/the wars/etc)" I remember once I got really excited when I was hanging out with some friends and one of them asked me a question about Ron Paul and social security, I told her that he wanted to let people opt out and then phase it out, and she thought that was great and agreed with me.

fisharmor
08-19-2011, 03:36 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig3/nock3b.html

Remember that this hasn't been going on very long.
Most of us were also asleep 5 years ago.
There is still a long, long, long way to go.
But concentrate on what has been accomplished. We've come a long way!

Bosco Warden
08-19-2011, 03:42 PM
I work for the other side, I find out who they do support then I slowly talk about all the things that is wrong with them but I present it in a very exaggerated positive way that the only conclusion they come up with is this is the wrong person for the job. its easier, and its been working so far.

Ron Paul for those who "wont wake up" has a stigma to just being Ron Paul. I stick to the issues and the position or lack of position the rest of the candidates have.

Hope it helps. patience though

ShowMeLiberty
08-19-2011, 03:43 PM
The most important thing is to realize that you are not going to wake someone up right away.

It's a process.

I've tried multiple times to show and demonstrate things to many people, all in vain.

However, over time, a few of these people have come back to me and said "You know, you were right when you told me about the economy/the wars/etc)" I remember once I got really excited when I was hanging out with some friends and one of them asked me a question about Ron Paul and social security, I told her that he wanted to let people opt out and then phase it out, and she thought that was great and agreed with me.

^ This

To the OP: You want to just grab everyone and pull them up to where you are now, but it won't work. You've got to parcel it out in small doses and wait for the awakenings. Once someone wakes up and comes to you for more information, that's when you can get into longer, more detailed conversations. Trying to put too much on someone who isn't ready just makes them retreat further into sleep.

JamesButabi
08-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Ask questions that lead them on their own to the points you are trying to make.

bunklocoempire
08-19-2011, 03:46 PM
How do you guys go about bridging this information/worldview gap?

I try to state simple truths that they employ/embrace everyday but aren't aware of it, and then apply their truths to the topic at hand.

Sometimes it even works....:o

From the moment we get up, until the time we go to bed, we are being lied to. The truth that people deal with everyday, on a personal level, is constantly being ignored or twisted by government and media -these folks can see through the smoke and mirrors if they're honest with themselves and receive the honest message.

And as was stated, it'll happen when they're ready. The main thing is that they hear the truth.

Bunkloco

noxagol
08-19-2011, 03:48 PM
when you talk to people, and they aren't in complete denial, you sow seeds that will sprout questions in their heads and they will eventually come around on their own. People aren't used to hearing freedom being suggested much anymore, only more tyranny to fix problems brought on by more tyranny.

ctiger2
08-19-2011, 03:58 PM
It's def a slow process. I didn't have a clue what was going on until late 08 when I started watching YouTubes of the GOP debates and Ron just slayed my mind. It was like an apocalypse for me. Ron opened an entire world for me I never was aware of. Ron Paul - Peter Schiff - Alex Jones - Marc Faber - Jim Rogers - James Turk - Lew Rockwell etc. I'd never heard of any of these people before.

Theocrat
08-19-2011, 03:59 PM
You have to bring the issues closer to home for them. I do something which I call the "Empowerment Principle." I essentially tell them that when it comes to money, for instance, that they know how to spend it better than the federal government does because they have personal needs and wants at hand. That usually goes well with the people I discuss differing views on things like taxation, social programs, etc.

You just have to make them feel like they are better equipped to handle the problems than the federal government. Sometimes the philosophical arguments go over their heads (or it shocks the living daylights out of them, as was the case in the OP). Once they get to the "empowerment" level, it's a bit easier to talk to them about other issues, like the Fed and overseas intervention.

Acala
08-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Don't start with stuff that is going to make their jaw drop.

Why would you start with things that are even debated among Ron Paul supporters like 9/11?

Start with things that everyone knows but tries not to think about - like the debt or the war on drugs or the demonstrable failure of the public schools to educate or the fact that we give billions to other countries while we go trillions into debt. Not hard to find issues as to which there is little debate about the truth.

08-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Why would you start with things that are even debated among Ron Paul supporters like 9/11?

Seriously? There are Ron Paul supporters still debating 9/11? You don't mean the official story, do you?

Yikes.

Acala
08-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Seriously? There are Ron Paul supporters still debating 9/11? You don't mean the official story, do you?

Yikes.

I don't know what happened and neither do you. There are very vocal advocates for the idea that airplanes were not even involved. It is a foolish and counterproductive place to start a discussion with someone who probably believes everything they see on tv.

ClayTrainor
08-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Here's a post I made in another thread, that I feel applies here.

I can definitely relate to how you're feeling. There are many times that I have trouble properly expressing even the most basic libertarian ideas and Austrian Economics to other people, especially when engaging in an arguing from effect. It can be very frustrating.

If you feel like you need to stop reading into economics so much, than do it. Economics is only one aspect of libertarian philosophy, albeit a very important one. In my opinion, If it's stressing out, stop immediately and try to spend more time doing something that makes you happy.

With regards to "Debating" and "discussing" the philosophy of liberty with other people, my advice to you would be to perhaps focus a little less on economic.s and a little more on morality. There is nothing more powerful than the argument from morality, and it's extremely simple as well. We don't need to all become master of economics, history, philosophy, etc.

It is my opinion, that this should be the primary goal of every liberty activist. We need to simply expose the gun that is the state. We don't even need to assert it, we can get them to realize it for themselves by merely asking them the right questions. Once people begin to actually see the state a violent organization they become less comfortable advocating for it and associating with it, in my experience.

The following speech by Stef Molyneux provides excellent insight in how to best approach people in conversations about liberty. Since adopting this method, I have noticed a significant increase of people I know taking the ideas of Liberty very seriously and personally. The argument from morality works very well, and like i said, you don't need to be a master of anything complicated in order to firmly understand it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKOTqRb5nvg

I hope this helps! :)

08-19-2011, 06:36 PM
I don't know what happened and neither do you.

I know the official story is not what happened.

I would have thought seasoned Ron Paul supporters would at the very least be beyond that.

aravoth
08-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Any comments? How do you guys go about bridging this information/worldview gap?

Never talk about conspiracy.

Always appeal to emotions, it's what drives the majority of voters.

DamianTV
08-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Agree.

First understand on what they get pissed off about then you can use that against them.

TexanRudeBoy
08-19-2011, 07:11 PM

THIS 1000x!!! OP, please watch this video.

sofia
08-19-2011, 08:35 PM
I don't know what happened and neither do you. .

speak for yourself.

we truthers who have figured out 9/11 most definitely do know what happened on 9/11. It was a false flag event calcluated to get us into these wars...

Read the book in my signature line, and also have a look at http://www.tomatobubble.com

nobody's_hero
08-19-2011, 08:39 PM
If you're still asleep at this point, it's called being dead.

headhawg7
08-20-2011, 12:11 AM

It's a process.

This ^^^ is a good way to go about it. However...if you can get them alone in your house then I would suggest.........

.....THIS!!!

http://www.metrolic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/cuckonest64.jpg

AGRP
08-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Ron Paul essentially appeared 4 short years ago to the mainstream public as a candidate and most people are not that inquisitive to research into what he's saying or what he believes. I remember when I first heard of him. I remember spending hours upon hours watching youtubes of him and it was like a whole new world. It was a shock to the system because the more I learned about him and what he was saying, the more I learned about the world and how really fuked up things were. The younger people are so excited about him and his message because they know how to turn on a computer.

Anti Federalist
08-20-2011, 12:24 AM
This ^^^ is a good way to go about it. However...if you can get them alone in your house then I would suggest.........

.....THIS!!!

http://www.metrolic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/cuckonest64.jpg

You're doing it wrong:

http://misomanythings.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/dog-and-gun.jpg?w=468&h=260

headhawg7
08-20-2011, 12:38 AM
You're doing it wrong:

http://misomanythings.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/dog-and-gun.jpg?w=468&h=260

Yeah...either way!!

headhawg7
08-20-2011, 12:43 AM
Ron Paul essentially appeared 4 short years ago to the mainstream public as a candidate and most people are not that inquisitive to research into what he's saying or what he believes. I remember when I first heard of him. I remember spending hours upon hours watching youtubes of him and it was like a whole new world. It was a shock to the system because the more I learned about him and what he was saying, the more I learned about the world and how really fuked up things were. The younger people are so excited about him and his message because they know how to turn on a computer.

I think you nailed what is going to happen in the future. The internet allows him to get his message across. As more and more people turn to the internet for their news instead of the MSM and other news sources such as talk radio and print...the better chance we stand of getting more people like paul into congress and the whitehouse. I do think TPTB in both parties are going to try to regulate and somehow censor certain website they do not agree with and think of a way to spin it to be for our own good. I don't know when that day will be...but I could see it happening in just a few short years.

affa
08-20-2011, 01:48 AM
as someone who has had a couple of decades of experience in this situation, i can say this... it's far easier today than it used to be. far more people distrust both parties, far more people distrust everything, really. i've heard it said that speed limits are in part responsible for making everyone scofflaws... well, the past decade has broken most peoples trust in their government. ever changing stories, outright lies... you can now say the government lies and people will nod their head in agreement. that wasn't always the case, in my experience.

i can imagine, though, that 'waking up' is a somewhat disruptive process. by your own account, it happened suddenly for you. it really can turn one's head inside out. it's no wonder people are resistant to that. some people adamantly just want to be happy, they don't want to know if somethings wrong. and i think, deep down, we all know something is very wrong. that's we, as a society, are complacent tax payers while our money goes towards endless war and the machinations of empire.

it's incredibly important to be at peace with your beliefs. and by that, i mean you should understand your beliefs inside and out, and not be one bit ashamed of them. you aren't the crazy one. be able to put forth your ideas coherently, and be prepared for the standard soundbite responses. odds are, you know more about any given subject than the person you are discussing it with. so just be careful about it. this means you need to carefully balance not coming off like a pompous ass, yet still remain confident and informative.

the key, i've found, is to evoke something along the lines of 'i never thought about it that way before'. If you can wrangle that out of them, you've given them a kickstart. it's up to them to either forget about it and push it under the bed, or explore. seek those that will listen, ask questions, and then do their own research.

and most vital of all - understand where the other person is coming from. you can not convince anyone of anything if you don't understand why they believe what they believe, because you won't be addressing their concerns. this is why most conversations break down.

bunklocoempire
08-20-2011, 05:43 AM

THIS 1000x!!! OP, please watch this video.

And another + gazillion.

+ green thingo CT :)

Bunkloco

acptulsa
08-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Ask questions that lead them on their own to the points you are trying to make.

This.

When was the Federal Department of Education created? You don't know? 1980. Where did we rank in the world so far as quality of education in the 60's and 70's? Where do we rank now? Are you sure having local school boards hire grant proposal writers and jump through federal hoops is improving the quality of education in the country? What do you think?

Did we have advanced knowledge that 9/11 was coming? You never watch PBS Frontline? Why didn't we stop it? Did you know WTC7 was full of federal trial evidence? Did you know the Oklahoma City Murrah Building was also full of federal trial evidence? Did you know mob and racketeering cases are federal trials? Are you sure this is a coincidence?

Also, know when to stop. Generally you can see overload in their faces. This means the seed is planted. Give it time to grow roots before you water the hell out of it.