PDA

View Full Version : Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?

Paul4Prez
08-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Just wondering how the economic downturn has affected Ron Paul supporters. On the one hand, jobs are scarce, pay is down, and housing values have plummeted. On the other hand, gold and silver have done very well since 2007.

pacelli
08-19-2011, 03:20 PM
higher "salary" (if you want to call it that) and higher net worth. Saw an opportunity in the coming depression and took it, knowing that I would insulate myself against the economic depression as well as the coming hyperinflation. Bought a house that's worth twice what I paid.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
08-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Salary is a tad higher but I feel poorer.

ShowMeLiberty
08-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Sort of -- Lower salary but higher net worth

That's the closest I could get with the vote options. Actually salary is about the same and net worth is slightly higher only because of spending the last three years paying off all debt except the mortgage.

Vessol
08-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Eh, four years ago I was just out of High School. Unlike a lot of people who are unemployed at my age, I have atleast a job that pays only close to minimum wage and gives me consistent hours. So I guess I'm a little better off?

Southron
08-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Better job, plenty of savings, and getting married in 3 weeks. I can't complain.

Oh and debt free. :)

Paul4Prez
08-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Just trying to figure out how much the economy has been hurting the money bomb totals so far, vs. people just not paying attention yet....

ItsTime
08-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Well I should qualify my answer. My construction company failed and I put my last $10k into my, at the time hobby, internet marketing and web development. Lets just say I wish my construction company had failed sooner so I had the balls to make the move into a different field. (knock on wood)

TexAg09
08-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Since I just came out of college in those four years, I received a salary (yay!), but also carrying student loans (boo!). So Higher salary but lower net worth for me

ShowMeLiberty
08-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Just trying to figure out how much the economy has been hurting the money bomb totals so far, vs. people just not paying attention yet....

Four years ago I was still using credit cards so yeah, I donated more on the money bomb days than I can afford to donate now. These days I'm not only operating on a cash-only basis, I now have a strong aversion to spending on anything other than necessities. Of course, I consider Ron Paul money bomb donations "necessities". :)

Danke
08-19-2011, 03:54 PM
About the same, just more nose and ear hair.

CaptainAmerica
08-19-2011, 04:07 PM
I am 26 years old with extensive experience in working inventory receiving/shipping ,extensive knowledge in production/design and sales of custom framework. I have a good resume and I have been unemployed for nearly a year.I get freelance work once in a blue moon and its only 200 bucks usually. I apply every day of the week for a job and still hope to even get an interview. I inteterviewed 4 consecutive times after applying 4 seperate times with Sears over the period of 6 months and still didn't get hired. Sears of all stores is a joke and I couldn't get hired there. I don't know what is going on but this is the worst downtime I have ever had being unemployed.I am stuck living with my parents which drives me crazy at times because I am not use to it. I have cousins who are my age who are also stuck living with their parents because the job market is really really bad.

specialK
08-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Just wondering how the economic downturn has affected Ron Paul supporters. On the one hand, jobs are scarce, pay is down, and housing values have plummeted. On the other hand, gold and silver have done very well since 2007.

I am much better off.. But I am not in USA and began to diversify my business away from USA in 2005 as I saw the writing on the wall back then.

pcosmar
08-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Voted about the same. Still no job, nor hope of one. Still surviving at below "poverty" level.

I suspect the value of my land has decreased as money is inflated.
But mostly about the same.

madengr
08-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Salary is higher, but so is inflation. 401K is probably slightly less. House is probably worth about what I paid for it 10 years ago.

In these times you are doing good if you:
1) Have a job.
2) Have a house you like and don't need to sell.
3) Have your health.

Really not expecting much else, however, it would be nice to have RP elected as POTUS next year.

Theocrat
08-19-2011, 04:35 PM
The question of this thread is a great question to ask those who believe Obama should be elected for another term.*

*Although, I've heard the excuse from some of his supporters, "You expect Obama to fix in four years what Bush messed up in eight?"

CaptainAmerica
08-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Voted about the same. Still no job, nor hope of one. Still surviving at below "poverty" level.

Michigan is a ghost state. I hear from a state civil engineer in Arizona that Michigan is 30 percent unemployment rate..yet the statistics on the news say 10 percent. I don't know what to believe about Michigan.

Diurdi
08-19-2011, 04:45 PM
http://www.finviz.com/fut_chart.ashx?t=GC&cot=088691&p=w1

Take a wild guess what happened to my net worth.

1000-points-of-fright
08-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Good: Still have my job and not really hurting for money. No credit card debt or car payment, etc.

Bad: Mortgage on a house that is worth half what I paid for it in 2003 in a neighborhood that was ok 5 yrs ago but is rapidly going downhill and my 401k probably isn't what it used to be.

DamianTV
08-19-2011, 06:48 PM

Youre in my boat. I voted worse because in 2007 I had a job, now I dont. But what is killing people in our boat is there are less jobs out there to be had, so even if our direct situation has or hasnt changed, the fact that it is 10 times harder to get a job puts us in the worse off category, IMHO...

Imaginos
08-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Yes and there's no secret in prosperity.
Study, work, save, and invest.
(Study includes domestic and global economy)
Repeat this to infinity.
I make good money but I don't spend money.
I throw away my old running shoes that I bought for 1 dollar that 6 years ago at the second hand item sale.
I wore that running shoes for 6 years proudly.
I can afford fancy running shoes but I don't really care.
For this year, the only money that I ever spent was on donation, charity, and buying books.
(I don't drink/party/gamble/take vacation/shopping).
Other than that, all the money went to tangible invest such as silver.

Anti Federalist
08-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Better job, plenty of savings, and getting married in 3 weeks. I can't complain.

Congratulations.

Oh and debt free. :)

Not for long...LOL

axiomata
08-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Congratulations.

Not for long...LOL

No kidding. I got hitched 3 months ago and for the first time of my working life more money is going out then coming in.

VBRonPaulFan
08-19-2011, 08:28 PM
sort of. i got a pretty nice raise recently so i'm bringing in a bit more money a month, but the market has taken a bit hit on my wifes company and she's basically not making much... so overall we're bringing in a good bit less than were 5 years ago. and we have a kid and a house now.

TRIGRHAPPY
08-19-2011, 08:29 PM
I purchased a home at a 4.0% fixed apr (30yr). My wife and I have had a child, and I received full custody of my daughter. I am currently in the same position, and make roughly the same pay. I am, however, receiving a promotion in November that will amount to about $500 extra a month.

Anti Federalist
08-19-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm not upside down on my property, but it's lost about $150,000 in phony "equity" and is close to being upside down.

Because of number of situations related to my line of work I've lost roughly 40% of my annual income.

So, other than my gold and silver holdings, less equity, less income.

AggieforPaul
08-20-2011, 03:20 AM
4 years ago I was an underclassman in college being supported by a single mother. Now I'm working in finance and making a pretty competitive salary. So I'm way better off financially, but only because of graduating college. I suspect that if the economy were doing better my salary would be a little higher.

WilliamShrugged
08-20-2011, 08:36 AM
I was in High School then. So definitely better. I have paid off a car, saved thousands, established a little credit. Im in a bit of a pickle for the moment. I currently am moving to Boise ID (long story as of why). With that, i had to leave my job and spend hundreds on the move. Still looking for work here but doesn't look that hard.

Brian4Liberty
08-20-2011, 08:48 AM
This survey does not take into account that people's income generally rise as they get older and more experienced.

klamath
08-20-2011, 08:57 AM
The famous line Reagan asked the people in the only Carter Reagan debate. "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"