PDA

View Full Version : Results from today's Bahcmann town hall

MomsBasement
08-19-2011, 01:07 PM
So to update my previous thread, I went to the town hall today in Myrtle Beach, SC. I'm terrible at estimating numbers, but I'd say there were 150-200 people there, tops. She had the damn thing outside in 90 degree heat, instead of inside the convention center that was 100 feet away! Anyways, I did get a chance to ask her a question. I decided not to mention Paul since this was looking more like a Bachmann rally than a town hall of concerned citizens. I asked her the following: "I'm glad you mentioned your opposition to stimulus earlier, because I had a question about that. HR 5140 was the first stimulus. You voted yes. How can we trust you to stop wasteful spending?" People looked at me like I was the devil! But her answer was ATROCIOUS. She said she was told by party leadership that the bill just gave back refunds to taxpayers, but it actually wound up doing much more than that, other bad things (I'm paraphrasing). And then she went on about how this happens so often in Washington that bills do a lot of things that people didn't expect them to do. As she was giving that answer, I tried to ask her between sentences "Well did you read the bill?" She ignored me when I said that, but the lady sitting next to me said, "Yea ask her that!" Then after a few more sentences of dodging, she had the gall to say "Also, I think we should always read the bills that come up for vote!" Thanks for making my point Michele!! lol

Now, the more interesting thing that came from this town hall is the possibility of a huge Perry scandal. See my thread about that here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?310500-potential-BLOWOUT-scandal&p=3486855#post3486855

FSP-Rebel
08-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Well done

Napoleon's Shadow
08-19-2011, 01:11 PM
It's worthless if you don't have it recorded. Were there any press there? Will anyone do a write up about it? You've got to get her on record.

MomsBasement
08-19-2011, 01:12 PM
It's worthless if you don't have it recorded. Were there any press there? Will anyone do a write up about it? You've got to get her on record.

At least 2 news stations were there filming. I'll have to see about finding the clip somewhere.

Dlynne
08-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the report!

growburn13
08-19-2011, 01:38 PM
So to update my previous thread, I went to the town hall today in Myrtle Beach, SC. I'm terrible at estimating numbers, but I'd say there were 150-200 people there, tops. She had the damn thing outside in 90 degree heat, instead of inside the convention center that was 100 feet away! Anyways, I did get a chance to ask her a question. I decided not to mention Paul since this was looking more like a Bachmann rally than a town hall of concerned citizens. I asked her the following: "I'm glad you mentioned your opposition to stimulus earlier, because I had a question about that. HR 5140 was the first stimulus. You voted yes. How can we trust you to stop wasteful spending?" People looked at me like I was the devil! But her answer was ATROCIOUS. She said she was told by party leadership that the bill just gave back refunds to taxpayers, but it actually wound up doing much more than that, other bad things (I'm paraphrasing). And then she went on about how this happens so often in Washington that bills do a lot of things that people didn't expect them to do. As she was giving that answer, I tried to ask her between sentences "Well did you read the bill?" She ignored me when I said that, but the lady sitting next to me said, "Yea ask her that!" Then after a few more sentences of dodging, she had the gall to say "Also, I think we should always read the bills that come up for vote!" Thanks for making my point Michele!! lol

Now, the more interesting thing that came from this town hall is the possibility of a huge Perry scandal. See my thread about that here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?310500-potential-BLOWOUT-scandal&p=3486855#post3486855

Good report. I look forward to seeing this on record if it makes it out on the 2 news stations you mention.

TheViper
08-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Nice reconnaissance, mom.

Looking forward to the news vids.

sailingaway
08-19-2011, 01:44 PM

Way to throw water on activism.

Having a camera would have been golden, but the people there heard it.

ctiger2
08-19-2011, 01:50 PM
She said she was told by party leadership that the bill just gave back refunds to taxpayers, but it actually wound up doing much more than that, other bad things (I'm paraphrasing). And then she went on about how this happens so often in Washington that bills do a lot of things that people didn't expect them to do.

Translation: SHE LIED

ItsTime
08-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Good job! +rep

Ok good now we know her answer. Someone go even better prepared and with someone with a cam and ask the question again and call her on her lies. Bring a copy of the bill and ask her to show where it was a refund. She also voted yes to a $190+ billion stimulus spending in 2009.

hazek
08-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Excellent question! +rep

TruckinMike
08-19-2011, 02:03 PM
BRAVO!! BRAVO!! Hip Hip Hurray for boots on the ground action!

TMike

Napoleon's Shadow
08-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Way to throw water on activism.

Having a camera would have been golden, but the people there heard it.
Ok you're right. I should'nt have been so down. But it is MUCH more effective if it's recorded for the rest of the world to see. Although it can still be very effective in person too.

angelatc
08-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Good job! +rep

Ok good now we know her answer. Someone go even better prepared and with someone with a cam and ask the question again and call her on her lies. Bring a copy of the bill and ask her to show where it was a refund. She also voted yes to a $190+ billion stimulus spending in 2009.

Yep. Next person needs to ask her if she read the bill, and if she did, why did she vote for it? If she didn't, why did she vote for it?

ProfNo
08-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Great job with this. Asked a good question, showed that she is totally full of it (which we knew all along).

More importantly, you were smart not to mention Ron Paul.

It is just too bad that the media does not cover things like this; it would be great if they actually grilled her for once. She is one of the shallowest, completely self-serving and deceptive people every to run. And that is saying a lot considering the other candidates. That anyone can take her seriously as a potential PRESIDENT of the US is beyond me. Sad. Sad. Sad.

klamath
08-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Good job. It showed she was a weak representive 3 years ago in that she listened to the party leadership on what was in the bill and not reading it herself. This isn't devastating to her as she could always say she has learned. This is the same as RP saying he believes his vote to get Bin Laden wouldn't turn into nation building. However to the crowd it made her look weak. It caught her.

eleganz
08-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Kathy Griffin on CONAN show telling him about her confrontation with Michelle Bachmann.

http://teamcoco.com/video/kathy-griffin-conan-recreate-topless-photo

Starts @ 40 seconds.

Imaginos
08-19-2011, 08:06 PM

Great job!
Cheers!

eduardo89
08-19-2011, 08:15 PM
This is something we need to do constantly. At every rally/town hall meeting where they allow questions we should put candidates on the spot about their lies and bad voting records.

John of Des Moines
08-19-2011, 08:35 PM
This is something we need to do constantly. At every rally/town hall meeting where they allow questions we should put candidates on the spot about their lies and bad voting records.

Without saying Ron Paul's name. Maybe wear some Tea Party gear.

Cleaner44
08-19-2011, 08:42 PM

Well done! Glad this came together. We need the video! +rep

havoc37
08-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Wow, she didn't even read the bill, I REALLY don't want her as president...

Cleaner44
08-19-2011, 08:56 PM
I seriously doubt we will ever see that media footage. We must do our own video.

notsure
08-19-2011, 09:33 PM

C-SPAN was showing Bachmann in SC around 8:30 tonight. It was recorded from earlier today. It was outside and there were audience members asking her questions. It could have been the Townhall meeting the OP was referring to. One of the questions asked to her was something like " a recent report says that an estimated 50% of Americans don't pay taxes, what would you do as President to make sure those who aren't paying taxes pay their fair share?" or something like that. Her reply was something like "as a former federal tax attorney I know how the system works, and as President I would make the tax code so simple that you could pay your taxes on a piece of paper the size of a postcard, that way paying your taxes would be so easy everyone would be able to do it.". Or something like that. Does that sound familiar OP?

invisible
08-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Another good followup question to ask in the future would be who exactly in the party leadership told her that the bailout bill provided some sort of tax refund to citizens, and press her to name names.

eduardo89
08-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Without saying Ron Paul's name. Maybe wear some Tea Party gear.

Obviously. We can be secret-Paul-agents

harikaried
08-19-2011, 10:46 PM
CSPAN is showing the Myrtle Beach South Carolina Town Hall right now. Just to do a sanity check, she was talking about keeping the tax code simple -- simple enough to file a tax return on a post card. Then someone asked a question starting with "it's the economy, stupid" and mentioned something about cutting 1%.

Carehn
08-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Good report. I look forward to seeing this on record if it makes it out on the 2 news stations you mention.
Not a chance in hell.

LibertyEagle
08-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Great job, MomsBasement!! :)

notsure
08-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Is this the one?

http://www.c-span.org/flvPop.aspx?src=archive/c12/c12_081911_bachmann.flv&msg=You+are+watching+the+C-SPAN+Networks&start=6.006&end=-1

dusman
08-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Wow, good find notsure. This does in fact seem to be the same event MomsBasement was talking about.

If you forward to about 43min, you will see the girl raise the issue about Perry and the Sheriff selling pictures of her and her sisters.

His question is at about 44min mark.

S.Shorland
08-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Well those are two dynamite questions! Two birds at one townhall.

Working Poor
08-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Is this the one?

http://www.c-span.org/flvPop.aspx?src=archive/c12/c12_081911_bachmann.flv&msg=You+are+watching+the+C-SPAN+Networks&start=6.006&end=-1

Yes momsbasement's question is @ 44:22

S.Shorland
08-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Send it to Alex Jones,Momsbasement.

Inkblots
08-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Yes momsbasement's question is @ 44:22

Excellent. You can tell you hit an uncomfortable issue when a politician says "I'm glad you asked that question..." ;)

FreedomProsperityPeace
08-20-2011, 05:38 PM
"It's an example of what happens in Washington all the time, and it's pathetic."

Yes, politicians say one thing and do another all the time. Quite pathetic, Mrs. Bachmann.

kazmlsj
08-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks so much for being there and asking her that question.

Do you think others realized how self-incriminating her answer was?

[similar to Nancy Pelosi admonishing her fellow Dems to read the health care bill AFTER it is voted for.]

klamath
08-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Is this the one?

After listening to the tape I think she did a really good job of answering the question that showed her mistake vote. Not voting for her for a number of other reasons but she admitted her mistake very well.