PDA

View Full Version : 'Flash mobs' pose challenge to police tactics

aGameOfThrones
08-18-2011, 11:44 PM
Philadelphia leaders imposed an early curfew on parts of the city this month after roving bands of teens beat and robbed bystanders during violent attacks across the city. This week, surveillance cameras caught several dozen youths swarming into convenience stores in Germantown, Md., and Washington, D.C., and stealing armfuls of snacks and drinks as the store clerk looked on helplessly.

The suspects in these crimes often connected via cellphones and share information on social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook, police say.

How best to combat the technology-connected crimes — and how far police agencies should reach into private online and mobile phone access — are at the core of a growing debate among police officials, city leaders and civil rights activists. Everyone agrees: It's uncharted territory for law enforcement.

"You're looking at an emerging form of crime," says Sean Varano, a criminologist at Roger Williams University in Bristol, R.I. "We don't know what power these police agencies have to monitor these websites or where do reasonable expectations of privacy start. "

"I'm deeply disturbed by the idea that a government agency will shut down cellphone service if they suspect there is a planned protest," Jeschke says.

After the violent attacks by youths in Philadelphia, city leaders decided to enforce a 9 p.m. curfew for teens under 18 in certain parts of the city, says Everett Gillison, the city's deputy mayor for public safety. Police officers began closely monitoring Facebook and Twitter pages for signs of trouble, he says.

Philadelphia police can shut down cellphone service in any part of the city if danger is imminent, he says. So far, they have not used that tactic. "We've gotten through this kind of thing in the past and we didn't have to suspend civil liberties to do so," Gillison says.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-08-18-flash-mobs-police_n.htm

Nate-ForLiberty
08-18-2011, 11:49 PM
That's right. Shut off their communication so the serfs won't rebel! :rolleyes:

Solution is simple. SHOP OWNERS! GET. A. GUN.!!!

preferably a fully automatic shotgun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c

heavenlyboy34
08-18-2011, 11:53 PM
You're not supposed to handle those unless you're a professional Russian. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOoUVeyaY_8

Anti Federalist
08-19-2011, 12:15 AM
And the doofuses will wonder why they are cooling their heels in jail after the cops just scoop them up because they were using their real name and pictures on "social media" sites.

We're right on the brink: one disaster, one "terror" attack away from full blown, tanks in the streets, martial law.

Anti Federalist
08-19-2011, 12:23 AM
Oh, and another thing, why the racial component of these rampaging mobs of urban "yoots"?

I mean, wasn't the election of the anointed one supposed to have permanently put to rest these ugly racial divides?

Or is it because of government policies that result in the creation of permanent black underclass and prison class that are truly to blame?

The dependency, the rigged criminal justice system, the grinding unemployment and poverty caused by decades of job killing policies, maybe that's the culprit here?

Policies, rules and regulations that haven't changed one bit under the puppet presidency of O-bomb-ya.

All of the above is purely rhetorical, of course that's the reason.

Nate-ForLiberty
08-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Oh, and another thing, why the racial component of these rampaging mobs of urban "yoots"?

I mean, wasn't the election of the anointed one supposed to have permanently put to rest these ugly racial divides?

Or is it because of government policies that result in the creation of permanent black underclass and prison class that are truly to blame?

The dependency, the rigged criminal justice system, the grinding unemployment and poverty caused by decades of job killing policies, maybe that's the culprit here?

Policies, rules and regulations that haven't changed one bit under the puppet presidency of O-bomb-ya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpNgONH2ncI

CaptainAmerica
08-19-2011, 12:29 AM
That's right. Shut off their communication so the serfs won't rebel! :rolleyes:

Solution is simple. SHOP OWNERS! GET. A. GUN.!!!

preferably a fully automatic shotgun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c
BINGO.Self defense is the answer.

CaptainAmerica
08-19-2011, 12:30 AM

:confused: I know people who admitted to voting for Obama because he is african-american and it made them feel empowered to elect him. At least 3 people have told me the same thing about why they voted Barrack.