PDA

View Full Version : PA-Foreign indentured servants walk off the job at Hershey factory.

Anti Federalist
08-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Ah the joys of globalization and "free trade".

And you wonder why you can't find a job?

Maybe your prospects might be a little better if your own government wasn't importing indentured servants.

Foreign students walk off Hershey’s factory job in protest

By Liz Goodwin

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/foreign-students-walk-off-hershey-factory-job-protest-214310205.html

Hundreds of foreign students on a State Department cultural exchange visa program walked off their factory jobs in protest on Wednesday.

The J-1 visa program brings foreign students to the country to work for two months and learn English, and was designed in part to fill seasonal tourism jobs at resorts and seaside towns. The 400 students employed at a Pennsylvania factory that makes Hershey's candies told The New York Times that even though they make $8.35 an hour, their rent and program fees are deducted from their paychecks, leaving them with less money than they spent to get the visas and travel to the country in the first place.

Some of the students were assigned night shifts, and said they were pressured to work faster and faster on the factory lines.

Hershey's said they didn't hire the students when the Times asked:

A spokesman for Hershey's, Kirk Saville, said the chocolate company did not directly operate the Palmyra packing plant, which is managed by a company called Exel. A spokeswoman for Exel said it had found the student workers through another staffing company.

Businesses save about 8 percent by using a foreign worker because of Social Security and other taxes they do not have to pay.

madengr
08-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Wow. I had no idea about the J1 visa. Thanks for the link.

freedoms-light
08-18-2011, 08:29 PM
I understand that Hershey also moved some factories south of the border.

http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/article/20022-hershey-s-chocolate-moves-mexico

In another blow to working families in the United States and Canada, the Hershey Company has announced that it will be closing multiple plants, cutting its workforce by 11.5 percent and moving jobs to a new plant in Monterey, Mexico.
This decision is yet another byproduct of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) which, from its inception, has done more to erode the U.S. economy than perhaps any single piece of legislation in U.S. history

Anti Federalist
08-19-2011, 02:34 PM
///

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Their chocolate sucks now.

Anti Federalist
08-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Their chocolate sucks now.

I think it was GunnyFreedom that posted a number of stories about Hershey's cocoa harvesting practices, that were essentially driven by slave labor.

I recall him being pretty indignant about it, as it was pretty bad and he was a Hershey's customer.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-19-2011, 02:52 PM
I think it was GunnyFreedom that posted a number of stories about Hershey's cocoa harvesting practices, that were essentially driven by slave labor.

I recall him being pretty indignant about it, as it was pretty bad and he was a Hershey's customer.

I heard about that... but I've also read a story about Hershey's trying to push more oil into their chocolate to use less cocoa. I wouldn't be surprised if it's only 10% real chocolate!

noxagol
08-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Businesses save about 8 percent by using a foreign worker because of Social Security and other taxes they do not have to pay.

the solution here is obvious, eliminate the taxes so that domestic workers are leveled with foreign ones. Also, I'm pretty sure their stay here, especially in the case of H1B visas, is tethered to their employer, so their employer has extra leverage over the foreign worker. If they were able to just come here without the visa, the company wouldn't have that dagger to dangle over their heart, and the foreign worker would have more power to get a higher wage, which in turn would make the foreign worker, especially coupled with the tax reduction for the domestic employing, less attractive to hire.

Southron
08-19-2011, 04:01 PM
I was at that plant Monday and Tuesday. I didn't know they had foreigners working there but I have never been inside. In Hershey's defense that is a loading warehouse and candy isn't made there.

Almost all grocery warehouses are filled with foreigners so the grocery chains can avoid taxes.

Anti Federalist
08-19-2011, 05:47 PM
///

flightlesskiwi
08-19-2011, 05:53 PM
laws almighty!

the horror! assigned to work night shifts!! and be more productive!! the horror!!

james1906
08-19-2011, 08:03 PM
I was at that plant Monday and Tuesday. I didn't know they had foreigners working there but I have never been inside. In Hershey's defense that is a loading warehouse and candy isn't made there.

Almost all grocery warehouses are filled with foreigners so the grocery chains can avoid taxes.

Yep, the scam known as lumpers.

123tim
08-20-2011, 09:41 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/foreign-students-walk-off-hershey-factory-job-protest-214310205.html

Apparently they want "another" American experience - not mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nv-Z_aeld0&feature=player_detailpage#t=0s

Funny, When I worked in a factory, I had little contact with the "other" Americans who worked there either. Seems that I had to stay at my machine and work.

Apparently, $8.35 is the actual wage paid.

moostraks
08-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Sounds like they are experiencing life just like americans who work these crappy factory jobs do. It pays their bills (if they're lucky) and that's it. Welcome to america. Long hours, monotonous physical work, and poor wages pretty much defines the work environment. The whiney rants about conditions shows that it isn't just young americans who don't understand manual labor.

flightlesskiwi
08-20-2011, 12:19 PM

Apparently they want "another" American experience - not mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nv-Z_aeld0&feature=player_detailpage#t=0s

Funny, When I worked in a factory, I had little contact with the "other" Americans who worked there either. Seems that I had to stay at my machine and work.

Apparently, $8.35 is the actual wage paid.

oh my gravy. "i'm having to lift like 40 pound boxes. i'm only 95 pounds... blah blah" "i'm so achy and tired." is this a joke????!!!! yank their visas and get them out of the country.

and some labor union organizers come and protest with these people!?! :mad::mad::mad:

welcome to amerika

LibForestPaul
08-20-2011, 03:25 PM
go home and get a job in spain :p benefits running out over there or something? someone lying to these kids about how rich america is?