PDA

View Full Version : OR-Woman, dying from cancer, trying to raise money, has yard sale shut down by city.

Anti Federalist
08-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Rules are rules, now, get busy dying, Mundane.

And people wonder why the Jacobins ran amok throwing members of the ruling class into the guillotine?

Woman’s yard sale to pay medical bills gets shut down

Submitted by Emily Sinovic, Reporter
Wednesday, August 17th, 2011, 12:12am

http://salem.katu.com/news/news/442449-womans-yard-sale-pay-medical-bills-gets-shut-down

A woman fighting a terminal form of bone cancer is trying to raise money to help pay bills with a few weekend garage sales, but the city of Salem says she’s breaking the law and is shutting her down.

Jan Cline had no idea, but the city of Salem has a clear law that states a person can only have three yard sales a year.

Cline has been selling her stuff in the backyard for a few weekends and said she thought she’d be fine by keeping the sale out of everyone’s way.

“It’s a struggle,” Cline says. “It’s a struggle for me because I’m very independent, used to taking care of myself.”

She’s run businesses and supported herself for years but this summer she was diagnosed with bone cancer.

“It’s a bone marrow cancer that eats through the bones and causes holes in the bones so that just by walking I can break a bone,” she says.

In one day she lost her independence, her ability to work and earn an income that could pay for all those medical bills.

So she decided to sell what she owned. The sale was bringing in several hundred dollars each weekend until one neighbor complained and she got a visit from the city.

“He said, ‘I’m sorry. Rules are rules.’”

Cline says she understands the city is trying to prevent nuisances in neighborhoods but she doesn’t think she’s causing any trouble.

“We make such an effort of making it back here (backyard) so that it’s not goobering up the neighborhood, so it’s not like a garage sale all laid out day after day after day,” she says.

Cline says she’s not looking for special treatment but maybe some understanding.

“I just hope that nobody else has to go through this kind of thing. I hope no one else has to give their lives away for nickels and dimes and then be told they can’t even do that. I hope nobody else has to do this ever.”

According to the Community Development Department, there is a reason for the law. In the past some people had set up what ended up being permanent flea-market-type sales on their property.

After hearing more about Cline’s situation, a supervisor said he is going to take another look to see if there’s anything she can do to operate within the law. But if she reopens now, it is a misdemeanor and about a $300 fine.

Seraphim
08-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Fuck that neighbour. What a piece of shit.

fisharmor
08-18-2011, 03:11 PM
“I just hope that nobody else has to go through this kind of thing. I hope no one else has to give their lives away for nickels and dimes and then be told they can’t even do that. I hope nobody else has to do this ever.”

Keep on hoping, lady. Hope has been running rampant here since 2008.
Welcome to Amerika.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
08-18-2011, 03:11 PM
My Town is doing the same crap except they are looking to mandate that your 1 yard sale a year (what you will be allowed without having a Town permit and tax sticker) be held in the back yard without even having the benefit of putting a sign out front advertising it. Not only that but they also want to hire a second code enforcement officer who will enforce their rules as to what you will be allowed to sell and during what hours.

AuH20
08-18-2011, 03:19 PM
I just sent her some cash.

Here's the donation page.

http://janclinecancerfight.bbnow.org/donate

123tim
08-18-2011, 04:31 PM
My Town is doing the same crap except they are looking to mandate that your 1 yard sale a year (what you will be allowed without having a Town permit and tax sticker) be held in the back yard without even having the benefit of putting a sign out front advertising it. Not only that but they also want to hire a second code enforcement officer who will enforce their rules as to what you will be allowed to sell and during what hours.

Looks like you need a new town. :(

DamianTV
08-18-2011, 05:15 PM
The town is fine. Get rid of the Rules, and the bastard Leaders that make and enforce the rules.

oyarde
08-19-2011, 10:28 AM

Well said

oyarde
08-19-2011, 10:29 AM

Very good .

eduardo89
08-19-2011, 10:32 AM

Someone should report him for every single law, regulation, bylaw, code he breaks. Give that son of a bitch a taste of his own medicine. Rules are rules after all, douchebag.

eduardo89
08-19-2011, 10:32 AM

+rep

jkr
08-19-2011, 10:38 AM
rules are rules?1?!?!?

hope that asshole remembers that one day

scum

Acala
08-19-2011, 10:40 AM
The town is fine. Get rid of the Rules, and the bastard Leaders that make and enforce the rules.

Rules like this one aren't made by the leaders. The leaders don't care about your neighborhood. Rules like this are made by neighbors like the one who complained here. They go bug their council members until they pass a new ordinance. This is purely a case of the people smashing each other's liberty because it makes them unhappy to see other people living in ways of which they don't approve.

UtahApocalypse
08-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Someone should report him for every single law, regulation, bylaw, code he breaks. Give that son of a bitch a taste of his own medicine. Rules are rules after all, douchebag.

They probably would not say what neighbor it was. if they do though then someone should hire someone to go video, and phot the house and find every single thing that is out of code.

I think I recall a study once that said EVERY single persons in America breaks the law everyday unknowingly.

oyarde
08-19-2011, 10:56 AM
They probably would not say what neighbor it was. if they do though then someone should hire someone to go video, and phot the house and find every single thing that is out of code.

I think I recall a study once that said EVERY single persons in America breaks the law everyday unknowingly.

I usually know ...

Philhelm
08-19-2011, 11:09 AM
According to the Community Development Department, there is a reason for the law. In the past some people had set up what ended up being permanent flea-market-type sales on their property.

Notable offenders:

Nigel the Blacksmith
Evelyn the Tailor
Peter the Cobbler
William the General Goods Trader
Michael the Barber

In the new America, it is highly frowned upon to work for yourself.

belian78
08-19-2011, 11:28 AM
this is purely a case of the people smashing each other's liberty because it makes them unhappy to see other people living in ways of which they don't approve.

qft

I can't afford to donate, but I did post to Facebook the news report and donation page.

oyarde
08-19-2011, 11:48 AM
This lady is on Fox right now.

kahless
08-19-2011, 12:27 PM
This lady is on Fox right now.

Good. Glad I was wrong. I was just telling people that Foxnews probably will not cover it since they only go against government regulations when it suits them. Figuring the story would have to be flag related, a GI or vet involved or having to do with Democrat politician, Democrat policies or some how related to Obama.

AGRP
08-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Notable offenders:

Nigel the Blacksmith
Evelyn the Tailor
Peter the Cobbler
William the General Goods Trader
Michael the Barber

In the new America, it is highly frowned upon to work for yourself.

Thats actually a great solution that would alleviate some traffic problems and car use. Instead of getting in your car to get a hair cut or even going to the local farmers market, you could walk to a neighbors home who provided what you need or you could trade.

LOCAL truly is the answer.

AGRP
08-19-2011, 12:49 PM
double post : /

GunnyFreedom
08-19-2011, 01:03 PM
I helped to defeat this ordinance in my own town by writing a scathing letter to the editor. It didn't hurt that I was a House Rep Elect at the time.

Anti Federalist
08-19-2011, 01:09 PM
I helped to defeat this ordinance in my own town by writing a scathing letter to the editor. It didn't hurt that I was a House Rep Elect at the time.

Another well deserved rep.

Anti Federalist
08-19-2011, 01:11 PM

Three Felonies a Day.

http://www.threefelonies.com/

Which is, of course, why bleating "I have nothing to hide, I don't worry about government surveillance" is so stupid.

GunnyFreedom
08-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Another well deserved rep.

Thanks man, the paper put out a story about this town councilman who was proposing to limit yard sales to two days a year and then only by permit, and I went off. in the depths of a recession this guy wants to take people's life-lines away and why? because he was tired of seing t-shirts on people's lawns? What a selfish bastard he was. For his own comfort he wanted to shut down yard sales, and to hell with families trying to feed their kids. This guy never missed a meal in his life and he wants to starve children so his damn eyes aren't offended? I was pissed, and I unloaded both barrels in the Times. The next issue (bi-weekly) said he had changed his mind on the ordinance lol.

noxagol
08-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks man, the paper put out a story about this town councilman who was proposing to limit yard sales to two days a year and then only by permit, and I went off. in the depths of a recession this guy wants to take people's life-lines away and why? because he was tired of seing t-shirts on people's lawns? What a selfish bastard he was. For his own comfort he wanted to shut down yard sales, and to hell with families trying to feed their kids. This guy never missed a meal in his life and he wants to starve children so his damn eyes aren't offended? I was pissed, and I unloaded both barrels in the Times. The next issue (bi-weekly) said he had changed his mind on the ordinance lol.

You, sir, are good people.