PDA

View Full Version : Are there any other GOP non-interventionist candidates like Ron Paul?

GreenLP
08-18-2011, 12:34 PM
or do all the other GOP candidates support meddling in other country's affairs (i.e. pro-war)?

Slutter McGee
08-18-2011, 12:35 PM
911 911 911 911 911 911

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

jonhowe
08-18-2011, 12:35 PM
If we can still count Gary Johnson, he's mostly on Ron's page on the issue. He has made a FEW questionable statements RE war, but when I and others have asked him straight up, he opposes foreign intervention.

He'd make a good VP for Ron, except he's pro choice. I dunno if Ron could swing that.

realtonygoodwin
08-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Gary Johnson, Jon Huntsman

kylejack
08-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Gary Johnson and at least somewhat Michelle Bachmann.

pcosmar
08-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Are there any other GOP non-interventionist candidates like Ron Paul?

Nope. None.

Sola_Fide
08-18-2011, 02:41 PM
No.

vita3
08-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Of course not.

anaconda
08-18-2011, 03:03 PM
Gary Johnson and at least somewhat Michelle Bachmann.

George W. Bush had a more non-interventionist platform than Michele Bachmann.

anaconda
08-18-2011, 03:03 PM

Huntsman? I did not know that.

Tax the Fed
08-18-2011, 03:09 PM
As a VP "candidate" for a Paul ticket . . .
there are some in the House who I could see as compatible to a non-interventionist President.
I like some of what Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) has said previously and currently -
I think he could be a great VP.

"When we try to do the fighting all over the world, we lose
we can not be a nation that occupies the rest of the world
we can not be a country that send its troops all over the world to handle every problem"

Our foreign policy bureacracy - not our troops - are totally inconsistent . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7IfMwk8PhY

Justinfrom1776
08-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Not since Republicans were really conservatives like Goldwater, Robert Taft etc.. It's funny, back in the day Goldwater was called "Mr. Conservative." and Taft, a strong proponent of non-intervention foreign policy was called "Mr. Republican" Today, Social and Neo Conservatives have hijacked the party and staked claim to the title "Conservative". While true conservatives like Ron Paul are labeled "Libertarian".

I'm a throwback, I challenge people who say they are "Conservative" when they are actually Social conservative or Neoconservative. Sorry to ramble, in short the answer to your question is No. There is nobody in this race outside of Paul who doesn't believe in the Neocon platform that we must use force to instill democracy whenever and wherever we can.

virgil47
08-18-2011, 03:34 PM
George W. Bush had a more non-interventionist platform than Michele Bachmann.

Really? Would care to give some examples or is that just a gee whiz blanket statement?

anaconda
08-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Really? Would care to give some examples or is that just a gee whiz blanket statement?

Ron Paul talks about the George W. Bush foreign policy of the 2000 campaign repeatedly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9SOVzMV2bc

ItsTime
08-18-2011, 04:06 PM
obama.

wormyguy
08-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Among the "not-invited-to-the-debates" club there's Gary Johnson, Buddy Roemer, Roy Moore, and Fred Karger.

Jon Huntsman is opposed to the current wars but isn't necessarily a "non-interventionist" like Ron.

realtonygoodwin
08-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Huntsman? I did not know that.
http://www.jon2012.com/blog/Tags/Foreign-Policy

President Reagan knew how to project our strength and defeat our enemy -- not by wasting valuable resources nation-building in central Asia -- but through strength at home and strategic involvement abroad.

Jon believes we have a generational opportunity to clean up the map when it comes to defining our friends and allies and our military deployments. As he’s said, we’re in many parts of the world that don’t make sense for our national security or our budget. He would also work to open more foreign markets for American businesses. In this economy, we should be aggressively pursuing more and greater free trade, not reverting to protectionism or waiting for sign-off from the unions.

sailingaway
08-18-2011, 04:15 PM
or do all the other GOP candidates support meddling in other country's affairs (i.e. pro-war)?

Not in the presidential race. In other races, yes there are. Now.

BuddyRey
08-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Speaking of Johnson, does anyone know when he'll be dropping out and endorsing RP?

speciallyblend
08-18-2011, 04:21 PM
No!!!! but the dems have obama. /s

CaptainAmerica
08-18-2011, 04:23 PM

You are ill informed. Jon Huntsman is not going to end the wars ,especially because Jon Huntsman worked for the Federal Reserve bank of Utah in the past. Every candidate will speak about "slowly withdrawing troops" and "scaling back the troop numbers" but none of them will say end the wars it was a mistake. If the candidate cannot admit openly that the wars were a mistake then don't expect the mistake to be corrected.

Justinfrom1776
08-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Speaking of Johnson, does anyone know when he'll be dropping out and endorsing RP?

Hopefully soon, we'll take the 1000 supporters that he has as well.

silentshout
08-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Besides Johnson, I don't think so. Also, I don't think there were many non-interventionist Dems running last time either, except Kucinich and Gravel. Sad really.