PDA

View Full Version : Does a State Government have the right to launch its own War on Drugs?

Cutlerzzz
08-18-2011, 02:51 AM
Well, I know what I'm voting

dannno
08-18-2011, 02:53 AM
Can, but shouldn't.

Nate-ForLiberty
08-18-2011, 02:53 AM
It could try, but it would go bankrupt so fast. Big budgets, harassed public, higher taxes, citizens leaving the state for greener pastures.

Remember, in the end it's all about money. People will change their behavior when they become poor.

dannno
08-18-2011, 03:13 AM
Ultimately both choices in the poll are correct.

They have the right to do it under the Constitution, only because the Federal Govt. doesn't have the right to tell them not to, and I think everybody who votes for that option would agree that the Federal Govt. really shouldn't have that authority.

On the other hand, the state does not have the right to limit individual choice like that, and people need to ensure that local government is not tyrannical.. but the answer is NOT to empower the federal govt. with such duties because that leads to worse things.

MaxPower
08-18-2011, 03:26 AM
The problem here is the excessive vagueness of the term "right." Would it have a moral right to launch its own drug war? Absolutely not. Would it have a legal right, at least as it relates to the federal government under the national Constitution, to do so? Absolutely.

Diurdi
08-18-2011, 03:52 AM
As long as it isn't prohibited in the constitution states can do as they please.
Doesn't mean they should.

Sam I am
08-18-2011, 03:53 AM
Be more aggressive in enforcing their law? Yeah, they have that right.

dannno
08-18-2011, 04:00 AM
Be more aggressive in enforcing their law? Yeah, they have that right.

No, they don't have the right to do it outside of the context of the Constitution. The Federal Govt. merely does not have the right to stop them.