PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question : Was the Iowa Straw Poll stolen from Ron Paul?

Bruno
08-17-2011, 08:23 PM
http://www.humblelibertarian.com/2011/08/serious-question-was-ames-iowa-straw.html

I've recently learned from a credible source that there were many suspicious voting irregularities in the closely-watched Ames, Iowa Straw Poll this weekend, raising more questions in light of Lew Rockwell's report this Sunday that the election had been rigged:

"I have it from a very good source that virtually all the people involved in Ron's Iowa campaign, and who had worked for other candidates in previous straw polls, believe that Ron actually won, but the GOP establishment fixed the results to give it to the warmonger Bachmann."

But policy disagreements with Ron Paul may not even have been the strongest motivation for Iowa Republicans to fudge the Ames straw poll results in favor of Bachmann, who narrowly led Ron Paul by 1% in a statistical tie for first place.

Consider what would have happened if Ron Paul had actually won, because you can bet that Iowa Republicans have-- the national media would have predictably written off the Iowa Ames Straw Poll as unreliable and meaningless. If Ron Paul had won the whole thing, instead of just ignoring him like they did this weekend, the media would have had to ignore the entire straw poll.

Iowa Republicans would have their credibility, power, and influence diminished for years to come-- perhaps irreparably so. That's a powerful motivation to fudge the numbers in favor of Bachmann had Ron Paul pulled off a close upset. It doesn't even have to be about the politics; it could just be about the power.

As Byron York suggested Monday in the Washington Examiner:

'Republicans dodged a big bullet at the Ames straw poll on Saturday. If just 77 of the 4,283 people who voted for Rep. Michele Bachmann had voted instead for Rep. Ron Paul, then Paul would have won the straw poll. In the end, Bachmann came out ahead with 28.55 percent of the vote to Paul's 27.65 percent. No other candidate was close.

Some well-connected Iowa Republicans viewed it as a bullet dodged because they had long feared the possibility of a Paul victory. 'It would pour jet fuel on the East Coast narrative that Iowa is just too nutty to have such an important place in the nominating process,' says one of those Republicans. Before the poll, they saw a Paul-Bachmann one-two finish as the worst-case scenario.'

So just what kind of shady irregularities happened this weekend at Ames? Write-in votes were allowed for the first time ever at the Ames straw poll this year-- but they were counted in secret. This is highly irregular, as the other votes have always been counted in the open, in full view of the campaigns. Why the secrecy?

Additionally, the votes were all counted multiple times and the results announced especially late. Why the recounts? Was the first place statistical tie even closer than the final tally suggests? Did an earlier count put Ron Paul in first? The remarkably narrow gap between the first two candidates is what makes these irregularities especially suspicious and gives them greater import.

When any kind of vote is this close, all due diligence, openness, and compliance with regular procedure is absolutely necessary to confirm the credibility of the outcome, especially when the stakes both politically and for the Iowa GOP's reputation and power are so very high. So why the irregularities this year?

Of course these facts alone do not add up to a smoking gun. I am not saying that I know for sure that the Iowa Ames straw poll was taken from Ron Paul, but I am saying that I am not so sure that Michele Bachmann won fair and square, and with questions like these, neither are you or anyone in the media commentating on the results of the straw poll.

Given the kind of under-handed treatment and tactics Ron Paul has suffered at the hands of a biased media and a threatened party establishment, these irregularities bear even more scrutiny because their implications are entirely in the realm of possibility. Events in the last few days since the straw poll have unequivocally revealed just how dishonest the establishment is willing to be in its dealings with Ron Paul.

The key lesson for Ron Paul supporters is clear: do not ever let Ron Paul come this close again in any poll, primary, or caucus that the future of his campaign is riding on. Volunteer, donate, and turnout that much more tenaciously to ensure that his margin of victory is so great that the numbers cannot be fudged, that votes cannot be stolen, that the truth cannot be obscured. That's the only way to win this fight.

sailingaway
08-17-2011, 08:26 PM
I seriously think this is not worth going into. We have good will and would lose it. Even if some strays cheated, we would only look like whiners and could prove nothing. Let's just move on. We did great. Most other years, we'd have taken the thing. Ron had the fourth highest vote total in the history of the Ames straw poll... just, unfortunately, the third highest total was present the same year....

limequat
08-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Good write up.

I believe RP was robbed.

I believe he made the absolute best of a bad situation.

bluesc
08-17-2011, 08:27 PM
No.

Matthew Zak
08-17-2011, 08:29 PM
We can't change it. Not enough attention could ever be given to it.

John of Des Moines
08-17-2011, 08:30 PM
The only way it would benefit Paul is if proof he won came out a week before the caucus.

The Goat
08-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Who cares? were getting our attention in our own way, word of mouth from the honest people.

ForLibertyFight
08-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Let's move on. Concentrate on more important things like winning Iowa and NH.

kill the banks
08-17-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm going to have to cancel my Randy Travis membership though j/k ... But all in all we are winning the blowback !

KingRobbStark
08-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Yea, and Randy Travis is the culprit.

mport1
08-17-2011, 08:49 PM
No, but Michelle definitely bought her win.

The Dark Knight
08-17-2011, 08:50 PM
You bring up some good points but unless there is solid evidence this happened we should not bring it up.

PEnemy
08-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Let it be, let it be.

free.alive
08-17-2011, 09:04 PM
People in the campaign are very happy with the result, endorse the view in my title, and are focused on building on our HUGE success at the Straw Poll.

The conspiracies not only don't help, but make their advocates look foolish when they're just plain wrong.

The past is gone. Focus on winning the future!

Bruno
08-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Trust, but verify.

A request for an independent recount when an elections is close as this is common in politics, and should be both more transparent and more common. It is not inherently conspiratorial, especially in these circumstances to this candidate.

Many closer elections with far less at stake have been fixed for as long as elections have been held. A recount apparently was done a few times. The results of those should be known to see if they are consistent.

Listing the names of the first-ever (Ron Paul vote-stealing) write-in at the straw poll is also not beyone the pale.

But yeah, if she won legit, it was all Randy Travis! :)

rich34
08-17-2011, 09:38 PM
No, but Michelle definitely bought her win.

Yeah, and this is what kills me that the media will not report this fact. Whether or not we were robbed is irrelevant because we can't prove, but for all she had to do in order to win the Ames straw poll and the media treats it as if these people came out on their own dime and don't even mention Randy Travis as the carrot dangled in front of the sheep's face in order to get their vote. Instead they choose to tout this 13 year middle school cheerleader as someone with such a strong and vocal base that is willing to walk through hell or high water when that is obviously not the case. And with the slightest bit of reporting they would know that as if they don't already... This to me is the real tragedy in it all. Based off the straw poll in Iowa one could easily conclude Paul had the stronger base lets just hope the locals out there keep building on that base.

libertybrewcity
08-17-2011, 09:44 PM
I think it was good in the end because it brought up the issue of media coverage in general. Hopefully the MSM learns something and changes their ways.

Bruno
08-17-2011, 10:11 PM
I think it was good in the end because it brought up the issue of media coverage in general. Hopefully the MSM learns something and changes their ways.

I couldn't agree more with that. Very good to see the media blackout exposed.

On a side note, anyone with photoshop skills want to split screen of Randy Travis, Ron Paul, and Bachmann, so we can have a little caption fun? :D

BUSHLIED
08-18-2011, 03:34 AM
I don't think Lew would have made that claim if there was no shred of evidence to support the poll's questionable results...however, this type of behavior is not out of the ordinary and certainly not for Ron Paul...the poll is behind us and it doesn't really help to make the claim...the Iowa Gop is never going to do anything about it, even if some evidence emerged. Michele got the coverage post straw poll and we got the media bias coverage...from what I understand, the campaign is happy with the result and lack of immediate pressure of being the front-runner...maybe the fraud or whatever went on is a good thing...in the long run.

Bruno
08-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Transparency bump

w2992
08-18-2011, 01:10 PM
i think the republican party skewed the results. when Romney had the property Ron Paul had this time everyone had to walk past it first. This time they opened a new entrance to the back for Bachman busses and they opened a new back entrance for voting. So most people bachman bussed in never saw the Ron Paul area.

Warrior_of_Freedom
08-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Randy Travis isn't even running for president, so Paul won by default!

Bruno
08-19-2011, 07:16 AM
i think the republican party skewed the results. when Romney had the property Ron Paul had this time everyone had to walk past it first. This time they opened a new entrance to the back for Bachman busses and they opened a new back entrance for voting. So most people bachman bussed in never saw the Ron Paul area.

That is very interesting. I didn't realize that they had never opened those doors previously, and that everyone had to walk around the front. That would make sense then that many people did not see the enormous support Ron had at his tent, and stayed over on the other side.

More shenanigans. More "first ever's" for the straw poll that did not work in Ron's favor, such as the write-in vote. More of the "Hey, it's my first time reading results. I didnt' realize you don't stop after reading the first place name...." B.S. line from the smarmy Iowa GOP chairman.

lucky_bg
08-19-2011, 08:35 AM
I also think there is something fishy about whole proces. But, as somebody already pointed out - not enough attention could ever be given to it.

Well, it just may not be true. We already had our big moment about media blackout, thanks to Jon Stewart. And, I think it's now time for Stephen Colbert. As you all know, he created that crazy Colbert Super PAC, just so he can make fun of election proces. And he run two ads on behalf of Rick Parry (Rick Perry with an A - A for America, A for Iowa) before the Iowa Straw Poll.

Few days ago he already complained on Colbert report that there is something fishy about straw poll results. And the main reason for his complains is that Iowa Gop Chair Matt Strawn refused to reveal straw poll results for public scrutiny. In the last night show Colbert is calling it Perry-with-an-A-gate. He got pic of a ballot with a write in for Parry taken with iPhone and posted on twiter. And he publicly declared his determination to investigate it throughly. In order to do that he obtained help of ABC5 WOI-DT Des Moines TV station. ABC5 had contacted Strawn and he again refused to disclose full results of the Iowa straw poll. Colbert was furious, and demanded of ABC reporters to "get to the bottom of the "Perry-with-an-A-gate". As this is their 5 minutes of national fame, they certainly agreed to do exactly as he asked.

Bad news is there is two weeks break in Colbert report. But, in the meantime, maybe you can contact someone from ABC5 and share your knowledge on the issue with them. And also, if you can dig up something else in the next two weeks, it would be pure gold.

And one good question here is - why would Strawn multiple times refuse to disclose full results of the Iowa Straw Poll if everything is clean?!

There is link for latest Colbert Report below:

http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/thu-august-18-2011-kevin-mitnick

Bruno
08-20-2011, 12:07 PM
I also think there is something fishy about whole proces. But, as somebody already pointed out - not enough attention could ever be given to it.

Well, it just may not be true. We already had our big moment about media blackout, thanks to Jon Stewart. And, I think it's now time for Stephen Colbert. As you all know, he created that crazy Colbert Super PAC, just so he can make fun of election proces. And he run two ads on behalf of Rick Parry (Rick Perry with an A - A for America, A for Iowa) before the Iowa Straw Poll.

Few days ago he already complained on Colbert report that there is something fishy about straw poll results. And the main reason for his complains is that Iowa Gop Chair Matt Strawn refused to reveal straw poll results for public scrutiny. In the last night show Colbert is calling it Perry-with-an-A-gate. He got pic of a ballot with a write in for Parry taken with iPhone and posted on twiter. And he publicly declared his determination to investigate it throughly. In order to do that he obtained help of ABC5 WOI-DT Des Moines TV station. ABC5 had contacted Strawn and he again refused to disclose full results of the Iowa straw poll. Colbert was furious, and demanded of ABC reporters to "get to the bottom of the "Perry-with-an-A-gate". As this is their 5 minutes of national fame, they certainly agreed to do exactly as he asked.

Bad news is there is two weeks break in Colbert report. But, in the meantime, maybe you can contact someone from ABC5 and share your knowledge on the issue with them. And also, if you can dig up something else in the next two weeks, it would be pure gold.

And one good question here is - why would Strawn multiple times refuse to disclose full results of the Iowa Straw Poll if everything is clean?!

There is link for latest Colbert Report below:

http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/thu-august-18-2011-kevin-mitnick

The Des Moines Register reported on this today, saying they confirmed the Iowa GOP refused to release the results of the other write-in candidates other than Perry.

JohnGalt23g
08-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Serious answer: No.

We fought a hard fight, and came damn close. Remember, this war won't be decided by the first battle, but rather by the last.