PDA

View Full Version : What a friggen difference two years can make... check it out !!!!

Dianne
08-17-2011, 02:43 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4964377#4964379

Source: Associated Press

ATKINSON, Ill. (AP) -- President Barack Obama said Wednesday that it will likely be another year or more before the housing market picks up and home prices and sales start rising.

But he said Washington, lately the target of public ire, can't make that happen on its own. He said consumers, banks and the private sector will need to help, too.

Obama spoke at a town hall in the western Illinois town of Atkinson on the third and final day of a bus tour of politically important Midwest states. His comments were in response to a question from the owner of a local real estate company, who said she had begun to see a turnaround in late spring. But her phones stopped ringing after last month's "debt ceiling fiasco," when the government came close to defaulting on its financial obligations.

"We have no consumer confidence after what has just happened," she told the president. "I should be out working 14 hours a day and I am not."

Read more: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Obama-Another-year-or-mor...

COMMENTS:

Earth_First (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-17-11 03:36 PM

1. I like the "or more" caveat...
Just like the troop withdrawl.

county worker (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-17-11 03:39 PM

2. What a freaking joke!
Home prices are at a 5 to 6 year low. Interest rates are at historical low levels.

Yet consumers can't buy because of unemployment, the economy or lack of down payment or credit.

RKP5637 (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-17-11 03:44 PM
Response to Reply #2
5. Similar thoughts here too, now we want prices to go up, so what, so the
banks and speculators can make even more money off of the disadvantaged. What a F'en joke of an economy. Maybe we can monetize bullshit and use that for currency.

RKP5637 (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-17-11 03:42 PM
Response to Original message
3. IMO when an economy depends on buying and selling houses to each other, it's
in deep doo-doo. At one time we had real jobs and houses were for shelter and a home, not an instrument of monetary value for buying and selling.

KansDem (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-17-11 03:43 PM
4. Which "turnaround?"
The "housing turnaround" when "the housing market picks up and home prices and sales start rising?"

Or the "housing turnaround" when hundreds or thousands of foreclosed properties will be sold in bulk to investors that agree to rent them out?

Fearless (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-17-11 03:58 PM
6. Could he come across any weaker, I don't think Republicans have their fill at the table yet.

RKP5637 (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-17-11 04:05 PM
Response to Reply #6
8. He really needs better advisers or something. He just does not get it, he just
does not get what many Americans are going through, he just does not get it IMO.

Fearless (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-17-11 04:08 PM
Response to Reply #8
9. And what's with him touring the midwest touting free trade exactly?
Is he trying to lose?

RKP5637 (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-17-11 04:18 PM
Response to Reply #9

10. That's what I've been thinking since it was first mentioned, it's been one WTF to me. Everyone
knows what the problems are in this country, more hand waving speeches are not needed. And we all know where free trade has taken us, what NAFTA/CAFTA have done. We were saying here the other night, all very strong old-time democrats, he must really be trying hard to be a one term president.

I hate to sound like an Obama-basher, but after awhile one just has to think/say, WTF. I'm starting to cringe each time he talks now. I know other strong democrats that won't even listen to him anymore, and these are NOT far out left-wing democrats, as the administration would like to think.

IMO we're in deep trouble for 2012. Someone IMO is going to appear out of the republican party, push the loonies aside, look good, and possibly take 2012.

Fearless (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-17-11 04:21 PM
Response to Reply #10
11. Let's hope not!
To me, my thinking was just these are a lot of people who LOST jobs to outsourcing... You can't just go tell people that it was for the "greater good" or whatever. I'm thinking some of the Republican crazy is seeping into Democratic campaign managers!

Good grief!

RKP5637 (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-17-11 04:24 PM
Response to Reply #11
12. It's all getting really weird to me, really weird. n/t

Fearless (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-17-11 04:25 PM
Response to Reply #12
14. Indeed. n/t

jtuck004 (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-17-11 04:00 PM
7. According to the data at this link it might be a decade, or more.
Edited on Wed Aug-17-11 04:02 PM by jtuck004
Here.

From the link:

"I think the psychology in bubble states keeps prices inflated even longer because people want to believe that somehow the rules of economics do not apply to their own area."

Among other things is a graph in the middle with over 600,000 homes in foreclosure, have paid no payment in 2 years. Banks are too full to even pursue them right now.

5-7 million foreclosures ahead, (and as the job goes, so goes the mortgage).

And the "good" loans on the books are inflated by some unkown percent via accounting rules.

"or more"...yeah.

Never gonna fix anything if they keep talking happy talk instead of acknowledging the problem.

russspeakeasy (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-17-11 04:25 PM
13. Dear Mr. Prez..Really ? Do you honestly think we are that stupid ?

Loge23 (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-17-11 04:27 PM
15. 2014, at least
Fromm Hanley-Wood's ProSource lumber-trade magazine:

"Over the past 50 years, we averaged 675,000 new home sales per year. But during the past decade, construction of new homes shot up even faster than the apparent sharp rise in demand. We topped out at 2.4 million more new homes than normally would be needed. Now, with the pace of home sales at about 300,000 per year, HWMI estimates it will take until late 2014 to work through the excess."

Dianne
08-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Some are coming around to Ron Paul on other threads, now they have realized Obama is a corporatist; with no interest in the average American or America itself.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x1751429

Read the comments !!

Someone posts all of Obama's broken promises:

robdogbucky (1000+ posts) Tue Aug-16-11 04:21 PM
21. You mean like this?
"I will promise you this: that if we haven't gotten our troops out by the time I'm president it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. I will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama, October 27, 2007 And yet 50,000 US troops remain to this day - along with 100,000 civilian "security contractors"

"Close down Guantanamo, restore habeas corpus, say no to renditions, no to wireless wiretaps..." - Barack Obama, November 14, 2007 Guantanamo is still open, while habeas corpus has been restored by Executive Order, renditions and wireless wiretaps continue. In addition, President Obama has given himself the power to assassinate a US citizen overseas in the name of national security.

"When I promise that I... we are going to bring this war in Iraq to a close in 2009, I want the American people to understand that I opposed this war in 2002, 2003, 4, 5, 6 and 7 -- so you can have confidence that I will be serious about ending this war." - Barack Obama, 2008

"Iran, they spend 1/100 of what we spend on the military. Iran, Cuba, Venezuela these countries are tiny compared to the Soviet Union. They don't pose a serious threat to us." - Barack Obama, May 18, 2008

"I think it's time for us to end the embargo on Cuba. I think this because, if you think about what is happening internationally, our planet is shrinking. And our biggest foreign policy challenge -- and it feeds into the battle on terrorism and it feeds into issues of trade and our economy -- is how do you make sure that other countries and developing nations are providing sustenance for their people, human rights for their people and the basic structure of government for their people and are stable and secure so that they can be partners in a bright future for the entire planet." - Barack Obama, 2008

"I've said repeatedly that I intend to close Guantanamo and I will follow through on that. I've said repeatedly that America doesn't torture. And I'm going to make sure we don't torture. Those are part and parcel of an effort to regain America's moral stature in the world." - Barack Obama, 60 Minutes (2008) Guantanamo is still open, the US is using foreign nations to carry out torture, when it isn't committing it itself.

"And as President I'm going to make it impossible for Congressmen or lobbyists to slip pork barrel projects or corporate welfare into laws while no one's looking. Because when I'm President meetings where laws are written will be more open to the public - no more secrecy - that's a commitment I make to you as President. When there's a tax bill being debated in Congress, you will know the names of the corporations that would benefit and how much money they would get. And we will put every corporate tax break and every pork barrel project online for every American to see. You'll know who asked for them and you can decide whether your representative is actually representing you." - Barack Obama, 2008

"....create jobs building solar panels and wind turbines and the fuel-efficient cars of tomorrow. Jobs that will help us end our dependence on foreign oil and may save the planet in the process. Rebuilding our crumbling roads and schools and bridges...." "....so we can have a new electricity grid and bring renewable energy to population centers here in Indiana and across America. Build an American infrastructure for the 21st century." - Barack Obama, 2008

"....that tired, worn-out old theory that says, that says we should give more to billionaires and big corporations and hope that prosperity will trickle-down on everybody else. The last thing... the last thing we can afford is four more years where no one in Washington is watching anyone on Wall Street because politicians and lobbyists killed common-sense regulations. Those are the theories that got us into this mess. They haven't worked and it is time for change, and that's why I'm running for President of the United States of America." - Barack Obama, 2008

"...bailout Wall Street banks. As President I will insure the financial rescue plan helps stop foreclosures and protects your money, instead of enriching CEOs. And I'll put in place the common-sense regulations that I've been calling for throughout this campaign. So that Wall Street can never cause a crisis like this again. That's the change we need." - Barack Obama, 2008

"It is absolutely true that NAFTA was a mistake." - Barack Obama, 2008

"It's been a long time coming. But tonight, because of what we did on this day, in this election at this defining moment, change has come to America." - Barack Obama, November 4, 2008

Quotes excerpted from Barack Obama campaign speeches and interviews as shown in the documentary "Lifting the Veil: Obama and the Failure of Capitalist Democracy"

At a news conference Monday in Chile, President Barack Obama stated about his order to fire 110 Tomahawk missiles into Libya: "this was not an attempt at regime change, but a humanitarian effort to save civilian and rebel lives from Gaddafi’s threat to annihilate anyone who threatened his rule." March 21, 2011

"You will have your choice of a number of plans that offer a few different packages, but every plan would offer an affordable, basic package… And I believe one of these options needs to be a public option that will give people a broader range of choices and inject competition into the health care market, so that we can force waste out of the system and keep the insurance companies honest." ~President Barack Obama

“We do not expect harmful levels of radiation to reach the United States, whether it’s the West Coast, Hawaii, Alaska, or U.S. territories in the Pacific. That is the judgment of our Nuclear Regulatory Commission and many other experts.”- President Barack Obama

Referring to the Bush Administration's use of phone companies to illegally spy on Americans: "We only know these crimes took place because insiders blew the whistle at great personal risk ... Government whistleblowers are part of a healthy democracy and must be protected from reprisal." ~ Presidential Candidate & U.S. Senator Barack Obama, 2008
"The President does not have the power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation
that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." ~Barack Obama, December 2007

Dianne
08-17-2011, 02:57 PM
For some reason, the passionate democrats believe that Paul will immediately cut off all entitlements. They need to be educated about this !!

Paul needs to incorporate in his speeches, that we need to stop spending trillions in the wars; and bring the money back to the US. we can't even afford to pay unemployment benefits.... This is nuts !!!!! You know, republicans and democrats alike are on unemployment... He has to be more specific, he is not going to pull a chain and half of America starve to death tomorrow.

He needs to hit civil rights hard !!!!! Gay marriage, states rights (not Fed business), TSA be gone with you !!!!

It is almost running as an independent, with the benefit of a party affiliation (although, we all know that affiliation sucks).