PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul beats Gov Rick Perry and All Others in Texas GOP Poll

Jake Ralston
08-17-2011, 10:27 AM
"Ron Paul, the conservative congressman from Texas, beat the entire field of GOP presidential contenders in a poll conducted recently among "882 highly active Republican voters in Texas."

Answering the simple question, "If the Texas Republican primary were held today, which presidential candidate would you be most likely to vote for?" 22% of those polled selected the 75-year-old affectionately known as Dr. No.

Gov. Rick Perry came in second with 17%, followed by deep dish pizza lover Herman Cain (14%), with Newt Gingrich placing fourth at 11%.

Texans don't seem to care much for former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney or Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, who got 8% and 7% respectively in the poll conducted from May 29 to June 3 by an outfit called Azimuth Research Group.

Azimuth seems to have only done a few polls, judging from its website. If you write to the email address provided on the site, it quickly bounces back with "Unknown address error 550-'unrouteable address.'" Also, the only photo on the site is one of several people on the phone that looks remarkably similar to one taken by a Flickr user named Barack Obama who captioned the photo as "Phone Bank to Repeal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Other than that, everything seems perfect. Looking forward to seeing Dr. Paul square off against President Obama."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2011/07/ron-paul-beats-gov-rick-perry-and-all-others-in-texas-gop-poll.html

truthdivides
08-17-2011, 10:32 AM
That's over a month old.

Uriah
08-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Nice poll. It's been out for awhile. I would like to see Texas polled again.

erowe1
08-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Unfortunately, that is a poll of likely Republican donors, rather than likely Republican voters.

undergroundrr
08-17-2011, 10:41 AM
As kind as Malcolm has been, his post is dripping with sarcasm. But it seems like the commenters are taking it at face value.

sailingaway
08-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Unfortunately, that is a poll of likely Republican donors, rather than likely Republican voters.

Activists, not donors. The reason it is relevant is because Texas has a mixed primary/caucus and the caucus is impacted by activism, it takes time and energy. But it isn't the standard pool polled.

sailingaway
08-17-2011, 10:48 AM
As kind as Malcolm has been, his post is dripping with sarcasm. But it seems like the commenters are taking it at face value.

Tongue in cheek, not sarcasm. He lets you take it however you want.

erowe1
08-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Activists, not donors. The reason it is relevant is because Texas has a mixed primary/caucus and the caucus is impacted by activism, it takes time and energy. But it isn't the standard pool polled.

I guess it comes down to what they mean when they say:

Most importantly, they [PPP] polled Texas Republican Primary voters, while our sample focused on highly involved Republican voters with clusters in the most politically active Republican areas of the state and using lists taken not only from voter rolls but also from other sources likely to identify voters whose awareness of candidates and issues is substantially higher.
http://www.azimuthpolls.com/

For some reason, when I read it before, I thought they specifically mentioned donations. I don't know if they edited it since the last time I read it or if my mind somehow jumped to that conclusion.