PDA

View Full Version : Establishment scared - regurgitating old newsletters

Matt Collins
08-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Politico is about to come out with a piece on the old newsletter story. This is old news, and it looks like it might have come directly as an attack on Ron from the media. This is obviously an opposition research piece written by professionals; draw your own conclusions as to the source.

Those newsletters are not Ron's words, he didn't write them, these are not his positions. His record of defending liberty over the years proves this.

Ron must have somebody scared for them to regurgitate this 20 year old defunct story. They are trying to use anything they can against Ron because they don't really have anything else.

They are trying to smear us. They are starting to spread lies and half-truths. It's NOT a coincidence this came out the day after the media was forced to talk about us again.

They don't want to talk about RP coming in #2 in the Straw Poll, but they want to talk about something 20 years old.

This is good news because that means they think Ron is a serious threat.

Don't let them hurt our efforts, double down, reach deep, and be sure to donate on the Ron Paul Money Bomb THIS Saturday the 20th.

Here it is on the Politico blog, DON'T give it any traffic!!!!

Ron Paul, who's rising in the 2012 cycle in a way he never has before nationally and who came in just behind Michele Bachmann in the Ames Straw Poll last weekend,complained yesterday to Fox News about why he isn't getting coverage in the mainstream press commensurate with his status:

"They don't want to discuss my views because I think they're frightened by me challenging the status quo and the establishment."

But there are reasons why Paul, and his fan base, might be grateful for the minimalist coverage that he's received, because a more thorough vetting of the kind that mainstream candidates generally receive would invariably lead to some of the newsletters that bore his name (if not his byline or direct authorship) decades earlier.

The New Republic reported in detail on the newsletters in a 2008 piece that can be read here.

The bulk of it is subscription-only, but the newsletters themselves are rife with "deeply held bigotry against blacks, Jews, and gays. In short, they suggest that Ron Paul is not the plain-speaking antiwar activist his supporters believe they are backing--but rather a member in good standing of some of the oldest and ugliest traditions in American politics," according to the TNR story.

It's those newsletters, as much as his failure to hit certain benchmarks for candidate success, that has contributed to the use of the term "fringe" around Paul over the years.

Paul adviser Jesse Benton, however, had a response to my question on the newsletters: "Once again, the establishment is trying to flog a lame, tired 20 year old story that has been explained ad naseum in campaign after campaign. These items were not written by Dr. Paul and they are anathema to belief in human liberty."